New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of the Fall

Spoiler
    Show

There was a short delay before a reply came giving permission to land.
    As soon as Green Morningstar touched down Carolinus was the first to come welcoming the strange craft. It had already seemed odd when he first sighted it, up close he quickly realised the ship was alive on some level. He eyed it warily, suddenly thinking of Jongo for some reason. There was also a spark, not unlike Haramhold, yet clearly not Haramhold. He had been aware of the spark for a long time now, over the decades it had become an intense curiosity that stabbed at him during moments of quiet. Finally he would know.
    'Greetings Amanda. I am Carolinus, brother to Haramhold. I cannot begin to express my gratitude to my brother and to you and your crew. You have my thanks, and those of Markien.' All around them his men bellowed in agreement 'Amanda, I must ask. You bear a divine mark, yet I know you not. Who are you?'

"Let us begin unloading The men and supplies while we talk." As I spoke Green Morningstar extended the gangplank onto the walls and bidden by the ship men began pouring out of the hold carrying the steel weapons and armor with them. Stepping off the airship before the men, I then got out of their way as the men began unloading.

As they watched the bright steel pile up on the wall I recounted her story to Carolinus. An abridged version no doubt but a true one. From being rescued from Ko, to the eventual adoption and creation of Jewely. Their trip to the olm and combating the black sand which possessed Kalendor for a short time. The creation of Sanctuary and the Kraken which kept Haramhold there. And of course Jongo's antics and rare shifts into dead seriousness. The tale I told was not complete we hadn't the time for that but the important details where told, If we survived the coming battle there would be more than enough time to elaborate.
    Sometimes it is useful to know how large your zero is. ~Author Unknown

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

The Shadows of Uluuvatar

As Fayruz's song ended, she and Elanna stood silently, the air around them holding still in reverence of the song that still echoed. Then, Elanna took a breath, and Fayruz saw diamond tears trembling at the edges of her eyes.

"Yes, my dear Fayruz, I did."

She blinked, and her tears were gone, replaced by a curious gleam in her eye. It was predatory, yes, but curious as well. Placing her hand over Fayruz's heart, Elanna peered deeper, searching for something.

"You remember the White City still - the glory, the peace. How, Fayruz? How do you still remember when there is so much pain? So much wanting that all you can do to stay alive is drown in it?"

Elanna's hand inched up Fayruz's chest, eventually wrapping around her throat in an iron grip.

"What did he give you that he denied to me? What do you have that I don't? Why won't you forget?"

Elanna kissed her then, but it was not the hungry embrace from before. No, this was a searching, unyielding embrace, and in it Fayruz felt herself stripped away, to the very core. There, at Fayruz's heart, Elanna must have found something, for she pulled away with a gasp.

"So, that's it...that's your secret, my dear, sweet, Fayruz. We truly are cut from separate cloth. But no matter."

Elanna pulled Fayruz close, a dangerous smile on her face, her red eyes afire.

"If I've learned anything in my time here, sister, it's that nothing is truly pure. Everyone has a weakness, a yearning, that seeks to drive them from the path. We just haven't found yours yet."

She kissed Fayruz again, and in whatever portion of her mind that remained free Fayruz realized the beguilement from before had been a kindness, the gentle squeeze of wrapping silk. This was an avalanche, a crushing wave of desperation and darkness that threatened to obliterate Fayruz in the pleasure of it. She was pulled down, deeper than ever before, and in that abyss even her light began to flicker.

Piercing the Veil

Borne aloft by a torrent of sand, Sonata and Khalen-Het rode the whirlwind north. Passing beyond sight of anything but the black and gleaming ocean and the spires at the axis of the world, still they flew unerringly towards their destination, guided by the pull of Khalen-Het's heart. The night had grown deep by the time they saw the wall of fog on the horizon, the misty barrier between Uluuvatar and the real world, and dived within without hesitation. For one, terrifying moment it seemed they might lose themselves, the perfumed mist creeping past even the walls of Khalen-Het and Sonatas storm. But then a peal of thunder erupted that sounded all to close to a tinkling laugh, and they burst through.

Screaming through the night, Khalen-Het and Sonata saw the gaunt, misshapen things that guarded the borders of the Uluuvatar shrink from their presence. Why they raised no alarum or cry was a mystery, yet a feeling of unease descended as they flew over the paradise jungle surrounding the pleasure dome, and into the very heart of Elanna's realm. Passing the slim doors atop the dome, the wind died without warning, placing them at the end of the bridge leading to Elanna's bower.

The light surrounding them was muted, soft, the twilight glow of day becoming night. A sweet fume filled their nostrils, fogging even their divine minds. And there, across the slender silver bridge, were Elanna and Fayruz, locked in an embrace that drew in the very shadows themselves. With a flash of her crimson eyes, Elanna pulled away, laughing breathily as she surveyed Khalen-Het and Sonata.

"Brother! Sister! Come to join the fun?"

The Calm Before the Storm

The sadness in Khar Eltraya's eyes only deepened as Carolinus spoke, though her face remained stoic.

"Do you think us so foolish as to send the bulk of our people to face your bulwark, my lord Carolinus? We were a blighted people, but not so diminished that this thousand you see before you would finish us. Every one of my people standing at your gates requested to come, to reclaim that which was stolen from us. Yet..."

She paused, surveying the mighty fortifications that stood before her army, the myriad tribes and peoples gathered together in defense of their home.

"We cannot allow another scion of the White City to blight our people, my lord Carolinus. We once trusted to the benevolence of your father, and we suffered millennia of torment for it. Yet you are a more mortal divinity than the stories would tell us our creator was, and so I give you a choice - if you truly wish peace with us, I shall take you to see our Overlord, to plead your case before his throne. That is the only mercy I can offer."

Before she had finished speaking, one of the other Khars stepped forwards.

"You dare defy the orders of our liege? Are you so craven that-"

"I AM NO CRAVEN!"

Spinning, Khar Elytraya turned her baleful eyes upon the dissenting Titan, cowing him instantly.

"No matter the choice, our army will remain here until the Overlord has made his ruling. What say you, Lord Carolinus?"

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

3. - Top - End - #633
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Dasque and Shirvan

Warm. Shirvan's strong arms, his embrace; there was an incredible warmth emanating from the silver-haired man, spreading into his equally star-haired sister. So warm was it that, truly, by all accounts, his embrace should have burned and felt unpleasant, but there was only an impression of the sheer joy the God of Pride felt at being once more united with his sister.

"Dasque," he began, looking at her with his eyes of smoldering gold as she once again distanced herself. "My vision was true, I see. You are now the light." His expression briefly seemed a little sad, though only for a moment. He recalled his vision, even as his mortal body had been devoured and reshaped by the volcano, of his twin discorporated by and into searing light.

He sighed. "I was aware of these troubles to some extent, but until you arrived I was alone here, the only god within miles upon miles. Alone, in the center of the world -- ironic, is it not?" The lean god chuckled slightly, folding his arms in front of his chest as he did. "Of course I want you to stay. What's mine is yours as what is yours is mine. We are still one, you and I -- you are light, I am fire. Light without warmth is cold and harsh, yet together we are as the sun itself."

4. - Top - End - #634
    Firbolg in the Playground

Forceful Diplomacy
    Kalandor looked down at the two. There was little chace that Carolinus would leave his people with the Titan's army camped here, even if it ment he would be travelling alone with a single titan. He would be meeting others that could strike him down.....

But would he. Perhaps one could trade places with Carolinus. But then, Aramar needed aid. Haramhold had just arrived, but even so Carolinus would need protection, that they would not just overwelm him.....
    There was just not quite enough Gods for the tasks at hand. Not if they were to be completed safely. Unless Silvar was willing to delay returning to Aramar..... Could peace be found.
    Turning his head, Kalandor spoke in a quite voice to Silvar.

"Silvar... I know you wish to return to Aramar soon, but should we be able to resolve this without bloodshed, by Carolinus meeting this, 'Overlord', he would need protection, and so would the city. I sense Haramhold has just arrived here, and so I would ask, should Carolinus consider the possibility, as unlikely as such is, would you acompany him with me?"
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Forceful Diplomacy
    Kalandor looked down at the two. There was little chace that Carolinus would leave his people with the Titan's army camped here, even if it ment he would be travelling alone with a single titan. He would be meeting others that could strike him down.....

But would he. Perhaps one could trade places with Carolinus. But then, Aramar needed aid. Haramhold had just arrived, but even so Carolinus would need protection, that they would not just overwelm him.....
    There was just not quite enough Gods for the tasks at hand. Not if they were to be completed safely. Unless Silvar was willing to delay returning to Aramar..... Could peace be found.
    Turning his head, Kalandor spoke in a quite voice to Silvar.

"Silvar... I know you wish to return to Aramar soon, but should we be able to resolve this without bloodshed, by Carolinus meeting this, 'Overlord', he would need protection, and so would the city. I sense Haramhold has just arrived here, and so I would ask, should Carolinus consider the possibility, as unlikely as such is, would you acompany him with me?"

Silvar stood immobile for a moment, looking out to where the sun burned up across the mountains. His dark hood fell forward, covering his eyes. "The spell that imprisons Aramar," he says at last, "slows time down within his prison. Every day of imprisonment is as a year. I do not wish to protract his torture, but I see that this will not be easily resolved, and in fact might take longer should we stay and fight. I also know that he would not countenance my leaving you here to save him."

Silvar pauses, and turns to look Kalandor in the eyes steadily, unblinkingly. "Therefore, I will come with you, and together we shall bring the peace that this world so badly requires. However. I need your word, your word as a god, that Aramar's freedom will be as swift as possible."
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-06-19 at 01:14 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Jongo Everchanging

Flying. Flying would always be boring, now.

Jongo had been a storm. It didn't fly; it lived. It breathed. It floated. And before she was the storm, Jongo had flown within it, fighting it, dancing with it.

The clear blue sky of Salus was nice, but it held no amusement for Jongo. And flying through the Sanctuary wall, the sky darkened. Though the great storm had dissipated, it seemed there were still a few clouds that lingered, unsure of what to do or where to go.

"Oh, if only I could ride one of them, instead of flapping my wings," Jongo sighed to the Band of Chaos. It tittered a tuneless note, and Jongo frowned; which was difficult to do when you are a plump purple bird with a duck's bill.

"What do you mean, I could?"

The Band of Chaos tooted again.

"Well, yes, I do like radishes. But that has nothing to do with my question."

Another couple off-key notes.

"Oh. Well, I guess that makes sense, yes. You can put the lime in the coconut, and shake them both up. But about the cloud?"

The Band of Chaos, currently wrapped around Jongo's long, thin, goose-like neck, seemed to go silent for a bit, and then played out a single note, strong and true. Fayruz or Sonata might have called it a C-minor. Jongo called it an inspiration.

"Ah! I see. Ok. That's a great idea. Let me try that. But first, I had another idea about how to get there."

Flying in the grey-blue sky, Jongo headed towards one of the smaller storm clouds still left. It was a dark onyx grey, and grumbled with thunder and the promise of lightning for anyone who came too close. Jongo could feel that it was seeking a place to release it's rain, and unburden itself. Reaching it's edges, Jongo called to it.

"Little cloud, little storm, hear me. I know I am not my brother Aerin, who watched the storm clouds like they were the best place to have a cup of tea. I am not my sister Sonata, who would sing you peaceful sleep, and have you shower your bounty upon her... but I am a friend to wind and water. I am traveling to my home, a place in need of a storm like you, a place that you could let loose your fury, and no other wind would argue you. Grant me passage, give me a seat upon you, and I will see you grow stronger, and allow you to help me change the world in a way that no hurricane ever could."

Jongo could sense the cloud was enticed, so he flew through it, inside of it, and then, finally, above it. Calling to the water inside the cloud, and listening to the rumble of the little storm, Jongo... landed.

Gravity tried to protest, and said that Jongo shouldn't be able to sit on top of a cloud like this. Physics agreed, that Jongo should be falling right now.

The Band of Chaos disagreed, so Gravity and Physics sat back down and shut up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jongo rode the storm cloud.

It was small, at first. The Storm Bird form that Jongo settled into was perfect for perching on this cloud, which was almost like a large bird nest. But it didn't stay small for long.

As the wind carried the cloud where Jongo wanted to go, she called to any other clouds that drifted nearby. Jongo cheerfully promised them a place where they could release their heavy water, and allow them to join him and Larree - Jongo had decided, quite against the storm cloud's better judgement, to call it Larree - as they went to change the world. Some clouds found a different wind. But most joined Jongo.

In this way, Storm Cloud Larree grew.

What had once been a small cloud - big enough to rain down on a single one of the huts that someone in Salus lived in - soon became much bigger as other clouds willingly came to Jongo's call.

That was the important part. That they came willingly. Jongo still remember how those tentacles - no, how the Kraken - had forced the giant storm to gather. She seethed with the knowledge that someone would abuse the weather like that, and bend it against it's will. Jongo knew that Faden at least gave a little for the price of Magic. The Kraken had given nothing; it had only focused and bullied and held and terrorized.

It was big, it was loud, but Jongo could see the beginnings of an idea for how to deal with it. It would take time. But they both had that. First...

Larree grumbled. They were close.

Jongo had at first been heading straight to the Sea of Jongo. After all, it had been so long since he had swam in those waters. Jongo hoped to find Dorph or Gwenie there, but a part of her realized that Dolphin do not live that long. And if they were still there, they could wait just a little longer.

Because the Band of Chaos had had an excellent idea.

Instead of heading to the Sea of Jongo, Larree had traveled more north then west. They were now over a familiar part of the ocean, to the south of the forests below Markien. Jongo could barely make out land in the distance, and asked Larree to rest here for a bit. As it slowed, Jongo reached down with one wing, and petted it carefully. The cloud - now big enough to rain over a city - thundered loudly, like a large kitten purring.

If purring kittens could only shoot lightning from their bellies like Larree can... Jongo sighed, and focused. This would be the hard part.

The Storm Bird was light; it's bones were made of the same thin stuff that all birds had. It made them lighter and easier to fly, and in Jongo's case, a lot easier to sit on a cloud.

But what Jongo wanted to do now would require the form of something more complicated. Something larger. When last Jongo had tried to grow as large as she could, he had gotten to about twelve feet tall. That wouldn't do. Jongo's needs would be much greater and better served by something much more than that.

So Jongo began to hum and sing, and let the Band of Chaos whistle along, as she changed forms. The song had been sung before... but there was now a tiny change. And that tiny change was the important part.

Spoiler
    Show
    I did not see a dragon today,
    What I did see you can't make me say,
    But I did not see a dragon today!

It had scales and fangs,
    It had claws but no wings,
    From it's body four little legs hangs,

It spoke like a waterfall,
    It laughed like the rain,
    It seemed to be quite happy above it all,

What I did see you can't make me say,

It had eyes blazing green,
    It's breath smelled of salt
    It had a trio of horns looking rather mean,

The truth I want you to hear,
    So gather close, gather near
    I did not see a dragon today...
    But then I have not looked in a mirror!

Ohhhh, I did not see a dragon today,
    What I did not see you've made me say,

And just as the song was sung, Jongo felt himself stretch, and grow, and became like a thin, wide snake. The purple feathers turned into sapphire scales that glinted in the sunlight and reflected the flickering of Larree's storm.

Still Jongo grew, and four long legs, tipped with feet that held wicked black talons, sprouted from her main body. The long, rippling fins were the hardest part. Jongo had only seconds to figure out how they let this form stay aloft, and during that short time, he could feel herself falling, just a little bit.

But as this form - this dragon - became even larger, Jongo began to understand. To help things along, Jongo let some of the Chaos free from inside himself and allowed it to expand in the real world, letting it sprout the two long, thin fins from Jongo's head; they began to wiggle like waves in the sky.

It wasn't about flapping or flying.

It was about not considering the possibility that this couldn't happen.

Jongo guessed that young dragons grew up watching other, older, dragons just... leap into the air. And if other dragons could do it, why then, it was unthinkable that young dragons, after they had grown, could not do it either.

So Jongo stopped thinking about it, and floated atop the cloud once more.

And Jongo grew. When she reached thirty feet long, and could not take it anymore, Jongo relaxed his shape-change, and studied herself fully.

The colors were slightly off. The sapphire scales had turned a deeper blue in parts, and a lighter white in others. It made things interested, Jongo had to admit, but it was certainly not the effect Jongo had intended.

The Band of Chaos giggled.

It was a ring again, but it had wrapped itself around the middle of the three horns that now sprouted from Jongo's head. It glittered in the sunlight, and was laughing about something. Jongo cocked his head to the side to listen.

Hearing nothing but laughter, Jongo decided the Band had helped with the shape change, and had felt that different colors would be funny. Well. So be it.

Jongo sighed, then sniffed the air. Her breath did, in fact, smell like salt. With that, Jongo could no longer contain himself, and also began to giggle. "I... I did it. I look like a dragon!"

Laughing, a part of the Chaos god knew that something was still off; unlike other forms Jongo had taken, the looks, the smell, and the flight were really all the power that Jongo had. She suspected that if he tried anything more than just lay aboard Larree, this dragon form would prove lacking.

But no matter. It would do for what Jongo had in mind.

Sliding to the side of the cloud, Jongo looked down at the waters far below, and felt for them. Nothing.

Was this the wrong place?

No. It should be right.

Maybe... maybe if...

Jongo cleared his throat, and begged the water below to carry his message as he shouted:

"Alassarinus! Cascarindarus! It is I, Jongo Chaos-born, come to speak with thee. I ask for a moment of your time, for the gracious Flight of Water to hear me out. Please, if you would, I want your help to change the world for what I hope will be for the better!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Sonata and Khalen at Uluuvatar

"Elanna, We came to stop you!" Sonata said, her words like hail on windows, but soft like rainfall. To have come this far to Uluuvatar, it would be nice to see the place. And if it had been not a situation of [rescue], it would have been a good feeling of relief for Sonata, to meet another sister.

To be honest, to see Fayruz here, in this place, in this way, made Sonata angry. So angry that she would have probably attacked Elanna already.

How dare she imprison Fayruz, her twin sister? Fayruz, who should have met Sonata in The Olm! They should have been singing together, dancing, talking, everything! For her to be here because of Elanna was unforgivable.

But Sonata had known to lose things. She had traded her music to become a fox princess. She had traded her voice to become a dragon princess.

And there was guilt.

Because she had sealed her divinity to become a human. And maybe that day, when she had started to learn about love and humility, and community and family, and she had sung Fayheran songs, if she had not, maybe she would have heard Fayruz call for help.

One hand rested on her hip, as Sonata stepped forward, her bare feet echoed on the ground like the sound of coins to fall to the ground. The light was soft and twilight, Fayruz's colors. The sweet smell made Sonata remember days spent singing in the gardens, and wearing flowers with Fayruz.

She wanted to sing. She wanted to sing to Fayruz and embrace her, and together they could become free from this place. Elanna wasn't important. Khalen could stop Elanna. She stepped forward again. The sweet smell was making it hard to think.

Sonata shook her head. First she had to stop Elanna, and rescue Fayruz. With Khalen. She wouldn't lose Fayruz. She wouldn't let Elanna steal the treasure that is her twin sister.

"You can stay in the shadows Elanna. It's perfect for you. But I've come for Fayruz. She's my twin sister." Sonata defiantly said. Then she called to Fayruz.

"Fayruz! I'm here! I came to help you. You can leave now. Let's go, Fayruz!" Sonata called to her sister.

Of Silver and Gold Ciela Foxes and Sand
    Spoiler
    Show

In shadows of Fayheran, foxes relaxed idly.

To explain the nature of foxes, it should be said there are three type of activity most loved: [Dancing] [Relaxing] [Tricking].

So for foxes to relax in shadows and make plans of tricking, it is a good day. And for the Ciela foxes, who were guardians of the Ciela Hymmnoi of Sonata, it can be said [Listening to Music] is also a hobby of such foxes.

Silver and gold fur, they are proud, like all Hymmnoi Clan Foxes. Messengers of highest order, of foxes they can be thought of like [noble house].

And of the foxes, the greatest is the chief fox, named Renard, who is famous for his dancing, relaxing, singing, and tricking. For he alone for a time tricked Sonata to be a fox princess.

So it can be assumed that the loyalty of all foxes are to Renard, who is an admirable chief.

And so Renard who was relaxing in the shadow of Shyreza, was approached by Ciela foxes for a meeting.

Chief Renard, it was said
    that Sonata ordered us to help protect
    The Olm, and the Fayheran.
    But why do they let us
    only to guide old and young
    like tour guides
    to this desert resort?

You see, my smart fox,
    you haven't served with
    my Lady Sonata for so long!
    The songs of Ciela Nel
    are weak compared to
    our Lady's cunning!

The fox made his fox grin, and a tail danced gently in shadow.

The Lady Sonata said
    [I order you to leave my side and stay here,
    to guard my sister's people]

She is clever that she knows she has never seen
    how the fox tribe fights
    and she knows then, it is better to allow a general
    to do what he likes!

So let us make a cunning riddle:
    There are 36 of Ciela Foxes,
    and there are 80 desert cousins,
    how many shadows does it take
    to hide so many foxes?

Renard laughed and the Ciela foxes laughed too,
    to dance in Shyreza's shadow and to number 37.

So, we may dance in shadows
    and make our trap play
    and trick the desert and sun
    with the shade of Fayheran!

Our desert cousins have gone
    and dug many holes and pits
    and cleverly hidden to
    catch our enemies!
    And in the shadows,
    even the Fayheran cannot see us,
    We will cut throats and legs
    with fox shadows
    but remember, dear Ciela foxes,
    that you are only a Ciela Fox,
    if you return to Ecchr!
    So let's make a song the Fayheran will sing.

And so a fox meeting ended, and Renard stepped out of the shadow with 36 Ciela foxes. And he smiled a friendly fox smile. But as he paced and made a circle around Shyreza, and a fox tail danced here and there, her shadow had become a fox shape. And Renard's shadow had become a Shyreza shape.
    So that when he stopped in front of her, Shyreza looked at her copy, wearing a fox smile.

Greetings to Lady Shyreza,
    We are the Ciela foxes
    who Lady Sonata ordered to guard
    the Fayheran people!
    And our task is complete,
    the old and the young are safely hidden
    in such a fox box that even you will not find them!
    But though you gave us
    such trivial orders,
    we will not take offense, but laugh at your ignorance

Lady Sonata ordered us to guard
    the Fayheran people!
    And you are also Fayheran. Clearly it was an order
    for us to fight with you, silly General!
    But don't despair, be confident!
    Many times Ciela Foxes always have guarded your shadows
    and killed your enemies.

Even my lady Shyreza has been helped 3 times today by me!
    Here and there, to protect Fayheran, or to trick your foes
    I am not a poor General, I think!
    So, again I will ask you
    remember us fondly, and write good songs about us!
    So when my Lady Sonata becomes a human again,
    and you teach her Fayheran customs,
    she will have to sing
    Fayheran songs of praise for foxes!

And the shadows returned to normal, and the Shyreza clone became a laughing Renard.
    And fox laughter echoed here and there as shadows and foxes danced and relaxed and tricked, and many enemies of the Fayheran were injured and confused.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2012-06-19 at 09:16 AM.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground

What Was The Plan Again?

Spoiler
    Show
    She wanted to sing. She wanted to sing to Fayruz and embrace her, and together they could become free from this place. Elanna wasn't important. Khalen could stop Elanna. She stepped forward again. The sweet smell was making it hard to think.

Sonata shook her head. First she had to stop Elanna, and rescue Fayruz. With Khalen. She wouldn't lose Fayruz. She wouldn't let Elanna steal the treasure that is her twin sister.

"You can stay in the shadows Elanna. It's perfect for you. But I've come for Fayruz. She's my twin sister." Sonata defiantly said
    Then she called to Fayruz.
    "Fayruz! I'm here! I came to help you. You can leave now. Let's go, Fayruz!" Sonata called to her sister.

Khalen heard his sister's voice but it seemed unusually muted from it's normally clear and uplifting tones. She was going to help Fayruz and that was fine - her sister looked drained and pale and probably wanted to leave this place.

"Sonata," he spoke, but his words were slightly slurred and he felt as though he was speaking with cotton wool in his mouth or syrup on his tongue, "take your sister and leave this place..."

His eyes met those of Elanna and iron will clashed with silk caresses. Her sensuous and beautiful figure, barely concealed and restrained behind the wisp-like veils she wore, called to him and he felt his thoughts begin to dissolve as the world around faded to irrelevance. All that mattered was the woman across the bridge from him, arms reaching out to him like a partner waiting to dance, or a lover eager to....

...embrace.

Yes.

An idea formed in the small part of Khalen's mind not currently enduring the assault of Elanna's siren call. It was risky and he could not share his intent with Sonata or Fayruz, lest it alert the enrapturing figure across from him. He would have to appear as though he had fallen to Elanna's charms.

...the problem was, he was not sure he hadn't.....
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2012-06-19 at 04:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

'I say thank you, Khar Elytraya. It is not craven to desire peace, if there are any here who have no one they wish to see again I can only pity them. The disk is wide, there is no need to mar it with our collective blood.'
    He bowed low to her, though from her greatly elevated height she had no way of knowing 'I will accompany you to the Overlord, if I have your sworn word the attack will not come until I am returned. I will require a few hours to instruct my men and speak with my family. Then I shall join you.'

Once he was returned to the wall he immediately started barking orders. Balistas to be unloaded, catapults to be returned to first positions and unlimbered, archers to stand down, Stoneward to remain hidden at all times, riders sent to Sanctuary, watches changed, men stood down, early meals to be prepared. The list seemed endless. All the while he watched his brothers with sorrowful eyes. He was coming to understand what Silvar was. It became increasingly difficult to concentrate on the defence as it slowed dawned on him the total weight of the terrible fate inflicted on Aramar. Once his orders were finally finished he hurried to his brother and his brother's shadow. 'No Kalandor, you misspeak, though I appreciate the sentiment. Carolinus was not made to be protected. I am my father's shield, nothing more. I cannot allow Aramar to suffer this horror while yourself and Silvar guard my person. You both must go now.' He turned and attempted to place his hand on Silvar's shoulder, his hand passed through the shadow. He paused to sigh sadly before he fixed Silvar with an intense gaze 'Already I have betrayed my vow to protect a sibling. Now I do again. I am so sorry Aramar. I wish with all my heart to come to your aid. I love nothing more than my family. But these people need me. If I betray my word to the Titans they will kill and enslave ten of thousands. You have Silvar and Kalandor to come to your rescue. All they have is me.'

Carolinus listened patiently to Amanda's story, though he was so shocked and distracted by it's beginning that he missed most of it. He did however hear every word of the story of her journey to Markein. He owed her that. He owed her that and far more. When finally Amanda finished her story he found himself without words. All he could do was gently whisper 'You are my niece.' It was a statement, not a question. Somehow saying it finally drove the point home to Carolinus. He suddenly was smiling in a way that the universe had not seen since his last day with Cireo. He touched his cheek, surprised and amazed to find it wet. 'Our family is scattered, yet still we grow' he whispered largely to himself. It added fresh vigour to the iron resolution of his vows, once again adding emotional motivations to what had become a matter of unbreakable routine.
    'Amanda, as knight of the White City, I welcome you to the family of Baz'Auran. I was created and vow to protect all members of our family. If at any time you require aid you need only ask it of me. I shall be your shield, I shall be your champion.' he smiled turned somewhat self-conscience 'As simply Carolinus, I welcome you to my family. You are welcome indeed, greatly pleased am I to see our numbers swell, especially in one such as yourself, who risks herself for strangers. You are welcome in my House and in my heart, granddaughter of Baz'Auran.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

10. - Top - End - #640

But we just got here....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post
    'No Kalandor, you misspeak, though I appreciate the sentiment. Carolinus was not made to be protected. I am my father's shield, nothing more. I cannot allow Aramar to suffer this horror while yourself and Silvar guard my person. You both must go now.' He turned and attempted to place his hand on Silvar's shoulder, his hand passed through the shadow. He paused to sigh sadly before he fixed Silvar with an intense gaze 'Already I have betrayed my vow to protect a sibling. Now I do again. I am so sorry Aramar. I wish with all my heart to come to your aid. I love nothing more than my family. But these people need me. If I betray my word to the Titans they will kill and enslave ten of thousands. You have Silvar and Kalandor to come to your rescue. All they have is me.'

Kalandor slowly nodded.
    "I sought to join you only that you would have protection on your travels. One to gaurd your back, however, in this it is your place to decide."
    Kalandor leaned against the wall, looking out upon the army, who still stood gleaming. They no longer faced the fair citadel, but the threat they posed was barely diverted.
    "Someone should stay here, and I sense my brother Haramhold stands tall somewhere, newly arrived. It will be good for him to look over the city, you are the consumate defender, yet he is the builder, he will be able to shore up the slightest gap otherwise unable to be protected....."
    Slowly, Kalandor stood, his gaze returning to Carolinus.
    "Aramar was always fast, Silvar should be able to set a pace that can see us having returned, possible before you have....."
    Hia gaze moved to Silvar and his hovering shadows.
    "If you can stand to go day and night, I would suggest we leave now. Anything we need for I will be able to find as we travel to rejoin you with Aramar, and we shall probably arrive in a time shorter than it took for you to reach these walls. Flight would probably be fastest, depending on our destination.
    Slowly, Kalandor's form shifted slightly, a small hump began forming on his back, forming underneeth his leather jerkin.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

'I say thank you, Khar Elytraya. It is not craven to desire peace, if there are any here who have no one they wish to see again I can only pity them. The disk is wide, there is no need to mar it with our collective blood.'
    He bowed low to her, though from her greatly elevated height she had no way of knowing 'I will accompany you to the Overlord, if I have your sworn word the attack will not come until I am returned. I will require a few hours to instruct my men and speak with my family. Then I shall join you.'

Once he was returned to the wall he immediately started barking orders. Balistas to be unloaded, catapults to be returned to first positions and unlimbered, archers to stand down, Stoneward to remain hidden at all times, riders sent to Sanctuary, watches changed, men stood down, early meals to be prepared. The list seemed endless. All the while he watched his brothers with sorrowful eyes. He was coming to understand what Silvar was. It became increasingly difficult to concentrate on the defence as it slowed dawned on him the total weight of the terrible fate inflicted on Aramar. Once his orders were finally finished he hurried to his brother and his brother's shadow. 'No Kalandor, you misspeak, though I appreciate the sentiment. Carolinus was not made to be protected. I am my father's shield, nothing more. I cannot allow Aramar to suffer this horror while yourself and Silvar guard my person. You both must go now.' He turned and attempted to place his hand on Silvar's shoulder, his hand passed through the shadow. He paused to sigh sadly before he fixed Silvar with an intense gaze 'Already I have betrayed my vow to protect a sibling. Now I do again. I am so sorry Aramar. I wish with all my heart to come to your aid. I love nothing more than my family. But these people need me. If I betray my word to the Titans they will kill and enslave ten of thousands. You have Silvar and Kalandor to come to your rescue. All they have is me.'

Carolinus listened patiently to Amanda's story, though he was so shocked and distracted by it's beginning that he missed most of it. He did however hear every word of the story of her journey to Markein. He owed her that. He owed her that and far more. When finally Amanda finished her story he found himself without words. All he could do was gently whisper 'You are my niece.' It was a statement, not a question. Somehow saying it finally drove the point home to Carolinus. He suddenly was smiling in a way that the universe had not seen since his last day with Cireo. He touched his cheek, surprised and amazed to find it wet. 'Our family is scattered, yet still we grow' he whispered largely to himself. It added fresh vigour to the iron resolution of his vows, once again adding emotional motivations to what had become a matter of unbreakable routine.
    'Amanda, as knight of the White City, I welcome you to the family of Baz'Auran. I was created and vow to protect all members of our family. If at any time you require aid you need only ask it of me. I shall be your shield, I shall be your champion.' he smiled turned somewhat self-conscience 'As simply Carolinus, I welcome you to my family. You are welcome indeed, greatly pleased am I to see our numbers swell, especially in one such as yourself, who risks herself for strangers. You are welcome in my House and in my heart, granddaughter of Baz'Auran.'

He is very noble That was the first thought that came to my mind. "Thank you" is all I manage to think up. From Haramhold's description and Carolinus's refusal to come with them to the olm had built up a different picture of this god in my mind.
    "Before I forget, Haramhold wrote you a letter." Handing the letter over to him, its rough parchment sealed with wax.
    ---
    The letter (for whenever Carolinus reads it)
    Spoiler
    Show

Dear Carolinus the protector

If you have not heard already Fayruz is fine. It took the combined efforts of several of our siblings but in the end we emerged victorious although it was a close affair. Your part in the battle was most appreciated.

I have sent what aid I could with my dearest Amanda. I regret that the Kraken keeps me from being there personally.

Your brother
    Haramhold

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Carolinus fought the urge to smile at Haramhold's letter. He was mindful his brother was likely to ask his daughter how he had reacted and so looked suitably contrite. 'It is good to see my brother still speaks his mind.'

This was in fact the first news that Fayruz was indeed unharmed. He wanted to howl in triumph and relief. Although he was sure the scattering of the sparks around her indicated her safety the dark doubt was one of many that haunted him at night. Now it was dispelled. Needless to say this elation rather spoilt the terse effect of the rest of the letter. Still, it did sadden him Does he think I do not know I broke my vow? Does he not know what that costs me? Does he simply not care?

'When next you see him tell him I miss him greatly.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

Silvar bowed low first to Kalandor and then to Carolinus, real relief showing briefly in his eyes, and, for the first time, hope. Almost as an afterthought, he turned to acknowledge Amanda as well. "Thank you. I am ready to leave when you are. I will, with Lord Carolinus' permission, leave my men here to guard the city -- they will stay until the threat has been averted. It is the least I can do in exchange for Aramar's freedom. They require nothing except perhaps a large abandoned building in which to stay. Preferably one with a high ceiling, such as a barn or somesuch, away from the busier parts of the city. Perhaps first..."

Silvar gestured, and a portion of the bat cloud about him broke off, falling to the ground, and melting into the form of a tall slim creature, similar to an elf but more muscular. It was obviously female, and wore a hooded cloak, which flared to show a belt with an elaborate buckle, a medallion with a snarling panther carved into it. She smiled and bowed, displaying overlong canines. Silvar reaches forward to brush her forehead.

"This is Vanara. Until I return, she will lead those men as I have gathered here. I have passed her knowledge of this language, that she may speak freely with you."

He looks at Vanara. "Stai aici, cu oamenii. Odata ce conflictul este rezolvat, se întoarcă la mine. Trimite un semnal de la Palatul Shadow. Oh, şi Vanara? Încercaţi să păstraţi amintiri ale celor din oraş intacte, atâta timp cât poţi. Cei din afara sunt protejate prin tratat. Ele nu sunt duşmani, cel puţin până când se dovedesc contrariul. Scout tabara inamica pentru orice slăbiciune. Mă aştept ca totul să fie sub control ar trebui să mă întorc."*

Vanara bows again, clearly suppressing a smirk.

Silvar turned back to Kalandor. "I am ready when you are. I can travel rather quickly, especially at night, but I would not presume to keep up with the Traveller himself. If you do not mind, I would travel as your shadow. It will take but a moment, and it will keep me from falling behind now that day is breaking." Here Silvar paused to smile. "Do not fear, your shadow will remain as well. You will have but two shadows, if only for a few days."

Spoiler
    Show

Anyone speak Romanian? I assume the gods will be able to understand it, and possibly Amanda as well, though it will probably be gibberish to anyone else.

*Stay here with the men. Once the conflict is resolved, return to me. Send a signal from the Shadow Palace. Oh, and Vanara? Try to keep the memories of those in the city intact, as long as you can. Those outside are protected by treaty. They are not enemies, at least until they prove themselves otherwise. Scout the enemy camp for any weakness. I expect everything to be under control should I return.
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-06-21 at 12:30 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ettin in the Playground

The Shadows of Uluuvatar

As Sonata's words rang out only to lose themselves in silken shadows, Elanna smiled. Reaching out to stroke Fayruz's cheek, she pulled the enraptured goddess closer.

"Dear Sonata, you're confused. I did not kidnap Fayruz in the night - she came of her own volition, and she stays of her own volition. After all, there are so many people to help in my little paradise."

Brushing a stray curl from Fayruz's face, Elanna pulled her into another embrace. This one was brief, yet still the very air seemed drawn in by the power of it, and distant as they were even Sonata and Khalen-Het felt a surge of desperate longing that lingered even as Elanna pulled away. Licking her lips slowly, she gave a low laugh.

"Fayruz does not wish to leave...and soon, neither will you."

Immediately, the fragrant darkness around Sonata and Khalen-Het grew immeasurably heavy, the warm dark promising sleep and comfort. Despite their divinity, their eyes grew heavy, and both were filled with the overwhelming desire to simply rest in Elanna's company a while. Still smiling her predatory smile, Elanna turned to Fayruz.

"See, my pet? Soon you shall have companions - won't that be marvelous?"

Jongo and the Lord of Dragons

Jongo's words echoed through the ocean air, until they seemed to merge with the waves themselves. At first, nothing seemed to change, but as the minutes passed a sense of immense tension filled the air, the sharp static of approaching majesty. Finally, when it seemed the air itself was fit to crack, Jongo spotted a disturbance in the wave upon the horizon. He recognized it from his time with the dolphins, the cresting wake of something large. Within moments, it was beneath Jongo's cloud, yet as it rose it was not a dragon, but a single massive horn, stretch forty feet at least. It was followed by two others, and a gargantuan head that resembled those of the lesser dragons Jongo had met. Its scales were a deep, shimmering sapphire, and as its wagon-sized eyes rose upon a serpentine neck to gaze at Jongo, he felt an overwhelming sense of power.

"You wear the form of my children, yet I know you, Jongo Chaos-born. Tell me, for what reason have you summoned the scouts of Veldimarus, Lord and All Father of the Flight of Water?"

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Of Gold and Silver Aria Foxes

Spoiler
    Show

Of Aria Nel, the only song of Aria, already a story has been told. And already the story of the foxes of Ecchr, the foxes of the Hymmnoi clans, and the foxes of Ciela clan have been told. But it hasn't been told of the Gold and Silver foxes of the Aria clan.

But the order of course was given by Sonata at The Olm to Renard, the Chief Fox, that messengers should be taken to the divine brothers and sisters of Sonata. Or, the ones who could be felt and found.

This message of course was passed from fox to fox, and across rainbow until it came to Ecchr, and Aria Nel and her clan's foxes, who responded with dancing and dutiful message copying, and then with sharp ears, they listened for the echo of Sonata's song in the melody of her brothers and sisters.

And so the Aria foxes, who are known to love [Listening to music], [Dancing], [Tricking] and [Going by Rainbow], departed from Ecchr's mists and songs, and to run into the world on rainbow or in shadow and forest.

It is said not speak of secrets outside the house, because of course the wind will carry such a song to the ears of foxes. And foxes who can hear such a message, will quickly carry such a message. Foxes who can run quickly on rainbows, who can race the wind, are reliable in this way to deliver messages.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Llassar and Sonata
    Spoiler
    Show

The reaction of Llassar would have made many songs or stories, but for Sonata it was a nostalgic and wonderful feeling. Here alone in the tent with her brother, it was the first time since the fall she felt all of the old memories return, of a childhood in gardens in the White City. A safe feeling. A sweet song.

After Llassar had taken the wine, Sonata looked at the fire thoughtfully. And then she began to speak in the language of the White City again, the words no louder than a whisper. But for Sonata who had great art with words, each of them was perfectly made, so her words spoke of happy and peaceful days, nostalgic times and carefree childhood.

If any Feyheran, or Renard or fox had come to spy on such a meeting, of a princess of the rainbow and white city, and the earthly and bronze prince, then it was to hear the most beautiful words, whose sounds conjured up imagination and nostalgia for a past, but whose meaning wasn't understood.

Except for Llassar, to whom Sonata spoke of her fall.

"...And I was alone. I lost my voice in the fall. I wonder, how much did I lose? I despaired, was lonely. And was fortunate. To be taken by Renard, and so I traded my flute for a voice, and became a princess of foxes.

And I almost forgot who I was... But the red moon at night always reminded me. And finally Renard knew he couldn't win over me with his fox ways. He let me go, and together went to Madako to find my voice.

And I found my voice at Madako, but I traded it for a rainbow coat, to become a princess of the dragon king. And in the palace I learned and gathered great treasure and wealth. It was wonderful! I had the rain at my command, and wealth and power. But I didn't have my voice. I didn't have my family. And I had hurt a dragon princess who I had stolen treasure from.

And in the end, I returned to being [Sonata], and now I keep the sacred words and songs of the White City and the histories and past, with the Ar Maen. And I command the rain as I wear the rainbow crown and coat, and gained the love of the foxes and humans of Ecchr.
    I created the Hymmnoi, whom are the only mortals who can truly sing and hold onto the memories of the White City, and tell the story of this world in song.

And I tamed the Lightning Wolf by beating him in a race through the storm, just so I could come to find my twin and my family again."

Sonata sighed. Her words like a song making the great picture for Llassar, who could see and feel the memories as the words passed the fire into his ears.

"I could sing many stories like that, perhaps selfishly or not." She said, to pour some wine for herself and let a peaceful smile come to her face.
    "But I want to hear your words, dear brother. To learn your stories so I can sing of them sometime."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Llassar sniffs as he sat in the tent, the cup of wine lying in his hand unattended. Carefully wiping something out of his eye, he said "Ah... dear sister... how I missed your voice. It's as wonderful as I remember it... maybe even more beautiful..." He swallows, then shakes his head, beads of sweat running down his face. "Oh, sister, after that masterpiece I don't know if I can tell a story worthy of passing by your ears." He twiddles his thumbs for a moment, then grins a little. "Ah, but I owe you a little something, at least. So here is what happened to me: I fell onto a land of plains and cold, and was saved from starvation by the kindly people who lived there. Although they had little, they shared it with me. As I ate and lived with them, I heard of a terrible plight that was upon them; they were in the grip of an awful famine, and doubted they would survive the next winter. I spoke to them, and I realized that these generous people did not even know how to grow food for themselves!"

"So, the next spring, I gathered seeds and the corn I had fallen with, and with the help of the people I planted a harvest. Do you remember how I would always skip classes to lay in the shade? Well, you should've seen what I did in those seasons, Sonata. Everyday, in and out, working in the hot fields... seeing our crop growing, more people coming to help... it was the greatest moment of my life. But then, as the harvest was collected, something terrible happened. A swarm of locusts descended on our crop and consumed it whole; barely a sheaf remained. The people stoically prepared for the slow starvation, and I wept bitterly, knowing that all of our work was for naught. But then a strange old women wandered into our camp, and demanded a seat at our table. I gave her a place of honor by my side, and she stared at me with such shocked eyes... she fell dead there, as we were preparing for dinner. And suddenly, the great buzzing cloud of locusts fell to their deaths around our camp."

"You know, fried locust isn't actually half-bad-- especially when you have nothing else to eat. After the winter ended, something changed. I could feel the ground, the crops, the very land around me... I knew that there might be other people out there who were starving and alone. So I left my plains, promising them I would return soon- there was some sort of sickness happening when I left. I need to return there soon... anyway, I travaled here, and found Fayruz and the rest of my siblings, and now we're having this time of stories."
    Llassar chuckles as he finishes his story, sipping from his wine. "I hope you enjoyed my tail as I enjoyed yours, my dear sister."

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Three on the Wall
    Spoiler
    Show

He could see it on the horizon now. It slowly moved forward, fingers outstretched across the sky, smoke-black. The hand of the Ghoulking was raised against the Fayheran.

The camps were half-empty behind Saven, and the Olm was quiet. He didn't like the quiet – it wasn't natural, it was the sound of men waiting and quietly sharpening their spears' tips, and of slingers choosing a few more stones, and of foxes grinning in the shadows. Llassar, who was tall and pale and had the heart of a chieftain in him, was prepared, but for everything he did, he was not quite as reassuring as Fayruz would have been. The Fayheran would do anything for her, Saven most of all; she would be their foundation, the staff that was the tent's center, and with her song raised against the Ghoulking's magic, there would be victory for sure. But all they had were the Council, and three bands of the Orders, and starving warriors, and a king who had never distinguished himself in battle.

"Well, my ruttin blood-brother," Gamesha said from behind him, his voice loud in the silence, "Here comes that ruttin scorpion's child, all thinking that we have no protection, that we have no goddess, that we don't have the gods on our side!" Saven turned, and saw both Gamesha and Shyreza striding towards him, resplendent. Gamesha looked almost like he did as a child, going to war by his father's side – the horns of his minotaur-helmet were sharp and pale-white, his breastplate was made of scarred leather, his robe was cut and tied down so that he could move with ease, his spear was tied to his back and his sling hung from his belt and his hammers were held in either hand, short-handled weapons with heavy stone heads. Shyreza, meanwhile, looked almost like a man, her own garments fitting her tightly, wearing leather armor-pieces handed down from some Kayanek warrior-maiden, a glass sword in her hand and a long glass knife strapped to her thigh, and a sling at her belt. Her face was veiled like a man's, and she wore no gold, but darkest red.

Gamesha clapped his hand on Saven's shoulder, his eyes bright and fierce. Saven returned the gesture, placing his hand gently on Gamesha's shoulder, nodding to his oldest friend. "For Fayruz," Saven said, quietly. "We will defend the Olm and keep her people safe."

"Her people are safe," Shyreza said, stepping forward and resting her hand on Saven's. "The foxes told me that our people are camped a day's march north of here, and that they will carry word to them if our battle goes poorly, to flee and find shelter elsewhere."

"That won't ruttin happen," Gamesha said, grinning. "Because we're going to kill every ruttin ghoul and wild-man that the King sends to fight us, and I'll break his neck myself! We're strong, now, and they don't have a chance against us!"

"We'll see." Shyreza sighed softly, looking out at the black hand that was already grasping at the sun. "The Wolf King has the run of the east, and Llassar and Estrika's band stand ready at the south, where the river runs beneath the wall. Shelkenezana is ready if they try and come around at the west, or the north. The slingers are ready on the walls, and the spear-carriers are ready to throw the ghouls from the walls. The extra supplies are ready on the second wall – I saw to that."

"Thank you, Shyreza." Saven thanked Fayruz, silently, that such a bold maiden had been chosen to stand next to him and Gamesha. He had no doubts that she would fight for the honor of the goddess as fervently as Gamesha would, and that he would not need to fear the enemy.

Even an enemy that could blot out the sun. The sky darkened, and too close to the Olm could be seen the vague, shadowy shapes of their enemies. The three quickly descended towards the walls, ready to fight for Fayruz's people.

Three on the Wall

Another ghoul made his way to the top, and Skullsplitter cracked its mangy, filth-covered head with one easy blow. Her muscles burned, but her heavy hammer was counting a happy toll. Again- again- again! Beside her, Seiman knelt with a weary groan, and touched the bloody skull of a young Iuneh slinger, red running down white skin. No song came from him; she was already dead, slain by an unlucky sling-stone from below. On the other side of her, all across the southern wall, Estrika danced, her swords invisible to her enemies. A ghoul clawed his way up, leaping on a spearman, only to have keen glass blades cut him into three pieces. She seemed to be everywhere, leaping and running and gracefully cutting open the rotten demons who climbed up the walls.

There were always more.

A great shudder ran through the wall. Men all around Skullsplitter trembled and cried out; the tremors came again, and the cry was passed down the wall- "He's come at the gate!" Skullsplitter snarled in fury, dashed another two ghouls from the wall, and turned to Seiman.

"Come along, little singer," Skullsplitter said, hefting her hammer. "Time to drive them back from the gate."
    "No," Seiman said, quietly. He pointed, his other hand resting on the shattered shoulder of an elderly Ma-Shen spearman. "Saven is there." Skullsplitter followed his pointing finger, to where the white-clad figure was already moving towards the southern gate. Not alone, not alone! The bull-horns of Gamesha rose behind him, and the scarlet robes of Shyreza followed, and a score of long spears, and a dozen glass swords, and sling-shots came before them.

The gate groaned, the bars split, the gate opened, and the army of the Ghoulking met the defenders of the Olm. So many, club-men and spear-men and ghouls, all screaming and savage, until they could hardly be told apart! Already, Skullsplitter heard cries to pull back, to hold the second wall, as Saven and his warriors were lost in the thick of the fray, less than two-score against hundreds.

As Gamesha would say, she'd leave the ruttin wall when the ghouls were coming at her from all sides, and not a minute before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Llassar swallowed as he sent another of the dog-headed demons spinning to its doom, hearing it scream the rest of its suddenly short life away. This was insane; Llassar wasn't a warrior-king, he was a field-king! But as Llassar crushed a jackal as it attacked another soldier, a boy barely old enough to wield the sword clutched in his hand, he knew this was where he needed to be. And so he continued to spin and swing, to move and shake; to cajole the earth into doing his bidding. He did so until a rain of stones left him the only man standing on the wall. As another swarm of jackals began to scale the fortifications, Llassar decided that a tactical withdrawal would be the most prudent idea--he called down to a few reserve men to help him get the wounded to the second wall before the next wave came, and ran with two men strung over each shoulder through the nightmare landscape.

Llassar wasn't sure how he ended up at the Riverfane, where some of the other commanders who had been forced to pull back gathered. "We need to regroup--pull back to the second wall. I don't want any of us to be caught alone outside those walls."

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    ???????
    Spoiler
    Show

It was a dark time, when the army of the Ghoulking attacked. The Olm was usually a happy place. It was full of nooks and crannies that any child could easily get lost in and have an adventure. There were kind people here, people who loved their goddess.

Little Lors thought Fayruz was a nice lady.

But she didn't feel like Lors's goddess.

Oh, she was a goddess. No one was arguing that. But she wasn't the goddess for Lors.

His brown hair ruffled in the wind, and he looked outside from his hiding space. Momma and Poppa had tried to tell Lors to stay away from the windows tonight.

But that didn't feel right.

So Lors was having an adventure. Closing his right eyelid, his left eye - the grey one - glowed for a moment. This was private. Lors hadn't let anyone else know he could do this. Not even Momma.

When his eye glowed, Lors could see. It was different then normal seeing. It was like looking at the world, and watching it get painted over with new colors.

The gate, way far down below, where all the warriors gathered, became a dark rusty red. There would be many boo-boos and ouchies tonight. Lors didn't know if there were enough kisses in the whole Disk to be able to fix them, but if anyone could, it would be the healers of Fayruz.

Lors thought about going down there, but no, that didn't feel right either.

So he began to wander.

He knew the Olm like the back of his hand, and had found all the shortcuts through the city. He stayed out of the way of any healers, warriors, and pretty much anything that was an adult.

Adults didn't get it. They wouldn't. They would just see a strange young lad, eight years old (almost nine!) moving around when the city was in danger.

But Lors understood.

Something was happening, and he needed to help. He didn't know how or why he knew, but he did.

So he wandered the city, and followed the colors. Soon, a bright strange of the purest green started to call him. He followed it, dodging through alleys and ducking between tents. Lors heard a girl's gasp of surprise and he walked passed her while she was changing. He only smiled and waved, and moved on. She frowned at him, and threw a comb his way, but it only flew past him as he walked out of her tent.

Girls were weird.

Following the green, Lors found another tent - a large tent - surrounded by guards. He walked up to the guards, smiled and waved at them. One of them looked down, smiled, and waved back.

Only to give a startled look at Lors as the boy walked straight past the guard and into the tent. The green was calling the boy.

And there it was. The green. No. The king of green. Every green ever. It was all there in this person.

Lors looked up at the tall, thin scarecrow of a man, and walked forward to wrap his arms around the man's leg.

Hugging him, Lors looked up with his one green eye and one grey eye, and said, "You smell like a Cookie. I don't know what that is. But you smell like it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Llassar looked down at the very odd boy hugging his leg. He blinked, and smiled and crouched down and ruffled Lors' hair. "What are you doing here, child?"

Spoiler
    Show
    A/N: Too little too late. Sorry, guys. >_<

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Jongo and the Lord of Dragons

Could this day possibly get any better? Riding a cloud. Shifting to look like a dragon. And now... oh man. Oh man.

"Ohmanohmanohmanohman."
    Jongo grinned a toothy dragon grin, and then remembered herself. Coughing a bit, Jongo looked at the Lord of Dragons.

Really looked.

This being was easily one of Father's most powerful and beautiful of creations. It was a king of the sea, and Jongo could feel, like he had with the Leviathan, that respect was due to this creature more than anything.

"Forgive any impertinence, Lord Veldimarus. It was my intent to speak with the two dragons whom I was familiar with, to then, well, seek audience with you, actually. I... oh man oh man oh man, Band of Chaos, are you seeing this? I'm talking to the Lord and Father of the Flight of Water!" Jongo couldn't contain herself anymore. He collapsed upon herself.

What had once been a dragon was now the small human child, in it's simple white shift. The only affection kept were the two long, thin, sinuous fins growing from the child's head. They waved in the wind, tipped with the colors of wild sky blue.

Jongo, now in a more containable form, bowed.

"I shall get to the point as directly as my nature allows. I have the dragons of the Flight of Water to thank for a warning; the Kraken did indeed come, and I have faced it, and I know it now for my enemy. I cannot stop it alone, and do not know enough about it. Or - really - enough about anything in this world. So I am going to swell my ranks. I will do what only a Child of Baz'Auran can do. I will create. Just as you are Father to the Flight of Water, I shall become Father to a new race." Rising from the bow, Jongo moved slowly and carefully along the surface of his cloud. Reaching it's edge, Jongo sat and hung her legs over the side, leaning back on his arms.

Kicking her legs back and forth, Jongo smiled and continued, "And that, Lord Veldimarus, He of the Rising Wave, Wing of the Ocean, and Knight of the Flow, is where you come in. Though I saw few glimpses of Dragons when I sat at my Father's side, what little I did see impressed me with your power and nobility. So I would make a deal with you! A pact! An accord! If you will have me, I will lend my strength to the Flight of Water and fight any Beasts of Chaos and Nightmares that threaten your children.

In exchange, my own children, my Jongoscion, will swim to these waters should the threat be too much and I am overburdened. When they must create themselves a new, they will come here, to complete their journey.

You hold power already, Lord Veldimarus, but as with me, you can not be everywhere at once. Let us share our protection. Become guardian of my new race, and I shall help guard against that which you cannot, and provide you with answers to questions you would not normally bother to ask.

My children will be naturally curious, and like me, I mean to make it easy for them to change forms and sate their curiosity. As they serve me, I would also have them answer to you. And when they are finally strong enough to swim on their own, they would still owe the Flight of Water for it's protection against the dark tides."

Jongo looked down respectfully from his cloud. The Band of Chaos had remained silent through Jongo's speech, and finally tooted a low discordant note. Rubbing the ring on her finger, Jongo petted it quiet once more.

Larree began to lower, and came down to eye level with the giant head of the Father of the Flight of Water. Jongo continued speaking, "I am going to change the world. I will change it for the better, as my Father would have wanted. But unlike my Divine Father, I cannot do it alone."

Now close enough to touch Veldimarus - or be eaten by him - Jongo reached out an arm in a human gesture, one hand outstretched, respectfully reaching for the dragon in a peaceful manner.

"So. What do you say? Friends?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lors and the Greenking

The one that smelled like a cookie - whatever that was - ruffled his hair. Lors giggled.

"What are you doing here, child?"

"Hugging you. Felt like I should. Haven't hugged someone like this since Lady Fayruz. You both remind me of someone. I've got a Momma, a Poppa, and a someone I've never met. I don't think other kids have that."

Lors looked up at the Green-man-who-wasn't-green-right-now. His green and grey eyes stared straight at Llassar, "Do you know anyone like me?"
    Last edited by Gengy; 2012-06-21 at 04:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

18. - Top - End - #648

Traveller's Trails

"Aye, such would be faster. I will. Make arrangements for the daylight hours such that there is always shadow for you to stand in."
    Turning to Carolinus, Kalandor bows, it is a slight bow, one of familial respect.
    "It is a sorrow that I must pass from your lands so soon brother, that we could not stand a time in each others light. Come Silvar, let us free Aramar from his imprisonment...."
    Kalandor turned, and began walking towards the edge of Markien's great wall, where the currents of air sung sweatest. They cried for travel and companionship. Slowly, Kalandor's leathers faded to dark brown leathers, wings wer obvious on his back. He became as a bird, 2/3rds the height of man, his legs became more powerful tand any mans, but still had the form of one. His chest, while hollowing became large and muscled, his hands, unneeded for a time, merged with his body, and Kalandors head smothed, not totally, and the tanned skin became covered with light feathers. Most unusually,Kalandor had a deep but thin pouch hanging upon his stomach.
    "We Fly!"
    And so, Kalandor, with Silvar also his shadow, crouched, his powerful legs shaking with tension, and releasing, the two shooting high into the air, slowly, to the sight of those few who could see it, Kalandor lost his legs, becoming simply a winged body gliding through the air, at the direction of Silvar.

Spoiler
    Show

Nature Affinity and Shapeshifting comeing in play.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

Dasque and Shirvan

"The sun you say?" A smile curved on her lips. "Yes, here you rule in the center of the world, but be warned. Father has gifted us with enemies near and far. Rumors of titans in the north, a storm in the east, an abomination in the south. Your people must become strong, just as we must."

Dasque told her tales to Shirvan and listened to his own words as well. When they had caught up, she descended back into the city to see if for once she could build upon this Disk of Baz'Auran's. She began by speaking with the people, learning about their ways. She was critical, and gave her insights and wisdom to them, helping them think as individuals more, to broaden their minds when facing challenges. In one case she had told a child not tocheat in a game for he was poor liar, and his hands were too slow to fool others. No, she convinced the boy to practice, and do so away from others' eyes so they would underestimate him. In another case she told farmers not to force the land to produce the crop they wanted, but to plant the seeds for those vegetables which would flourish and grow with what the land had given them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor Act: Dasque teaches Shirvan's people to be a little more wise.

However, Dasque also sought to improve her own plans, to make herself stronger against the enemies of the gods. She created a new guardian, one stronger than the three who had so utterly failed her when fighting the Puppeteer. This one was larger, standing at ten feet, it was stronger, it was faster, but most importantly it burned with an inner light, one which would keep it from being corrupted.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor Act: Create an Opal Guardian, a single powerful servant (about Lvl 14).

Lastly, Dasque forged herself a new spear, uses the fires of the land, and under the brilliance of the strand of true light, she ccreated a perfectly balanced, shimmering weapon that glowed deep inside. It was her greatest creation yet, the joining of her intellect and her prowess, a spear that stole one memory from the one it struck true, and gave to the wielder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Major Act: Create Artifact: Dasque has created the Mind Slayer, a spear that if it strikes through (aka, actually cuts the target) a single random memory is forever stolen from the target and given to the wielder (unless some magic or artifact is created to reverse the process, of course). This weapon has the Puppeteer in mind, as Dasque wishes to take more than its life, but its mind as well.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

Paradise
    Rotting

Someone was asking her a question. Someone was trying to speak to her. Those happened. They weren't important. Her mistress was speaking.

Did she recognize them?
    No.
    No, wasn't that
    No.
    sister
    No. Elanna is your sister, your mistress, your goddess.
    they are my sisters

Elanna was holding her. She - who was she? - moaned, just feeling her mistress's touch, her power, her skin silk-soft, eyes shiningbright, spears like light, there is still so much to do, so many people to help like the people of the desert such as the people who live in twilight and mist and need to be helped up and who chose actions that have consequences, and are not hunted in a desolate land but still struggle and need your help Fayruz but the Fayheran Fayheran Fayheran-

Her head hurt. And something was burning on her breast, fire and pain and prayer all bound together, making her head split and her eyes clear and her hands tremble. Silks clung to her, sweat-slick, and I am fine with being confined, bound in silk, please, for my own good hear my strength all you who live in shadow because my strength is unyielding I am weak, I need a mistress, I need a collar and her to hold my leash hear my song, oh you of Uluuvatar, because it is sunlight and honesty and pain and all the things that make life rich pain must be cultivated, pain must be controlled by the mistress, pain is whips and brands and hooks and please, beg her to use them HEAR ME, OH ULUUVATAR I deserve a gag, mistress, silence me and tie me to the wall and gag me tight HEAR ME AND KNOW THAT I AM THE BREAKING OF THE BONE TO SET IT please, Elanna, please, shut me up HEAR ME AND KNOW THAT I AM PRINCESS BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO KNEEL I want to be forced to kneel NOW I WILL STAND

Her eyes burn again, and her voice echoes from the walls; she does not how much has been muttered, how much has been screamed. She grits her teeth and says, "Sonata. Run. Now." Her body is begging for Elanna and her heart is roaring in fury at being caged and her head is split in two and she can't keep fighting, it hurts, why can't Elanna see that? Please, Elanna, for your own good, for both of us, end this. Take me and take me hard and teach me things that will make me never want a man again just stop, just now, just think take me and I will be your slave, I will lick your feet, I will spread my legs stop it now because I FORGIVE YOU I need you so much that I can't control myself, I touch, I caress, I pull away the veils of the body listen to me right now because I forgive you but take me this will hurt us both if you don't stop, and I love you please take me and it is because I love you that it will hurt-
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

Khalen's Gambit

He walks towards towards (his mistress/his sibling/his dearest love) Elanna, his mind full of (desire/searching/questions) fog. He feels as though he is (floating/soaring/dancing) drunk but his footsteps are flat and even.

He draws closer to her (his goddess/his sweet one/his tormentor) and reaches out to (caress/embrace/hold her close) her. Her soft pale skin, her eyes like two pools of oblivion, her sweet lips, moving in closer now, thoughts becoming a blur, her face, her lips, sweetness, yes. Leaning in to kiss, their lips drawing close, surrendering all to her, duty, loyalty, friends, siblings...

...justice.

A pillar of light surrounds them both, approximately five metres wide and traces a swirling pattern in white glowing lines on the floor beneath them. Elanna moves back from Khalen as there is the hellish shriek of tortured metal and the swirling pattern opens slightly as a baleful flare of red and and black light burst upwards from the centre.

Khalen spoke to Elanna, the red and black light bathing his face in its unearthly glow. "Mistress of Uluuvatar. The beam that holds us is impassable, for both of us. Gaze down and you will see a glimpse of the unnatural realm that is the source of my magic. You may ask three questions of me and I of you. After all six questions are asked, the beam will lift. I caution you though - the spell is sensitive to falsehood. Should either of us lie in response to a question the floor beneath us will open slightly. Three lies and the the nightmare realm will claim us both. Think cautiously."

"My first question - why did you seek to bring us here?"
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2012-06-25 at 04:16 AM.

22. - Top - End - #652

To Sleep
    Kalandor was an enduring Traveller, a god.

But he was, in no way, a jet. He needed sleep, and he had been busy before. One could tell his need, in how his flight becomes slowly erratic. A slight dip. Then a soaring rise to correct. By now Silvar would be beginning to suspect it wasn't just travelling with the air currents.

"My brother.... It would seem it is time to.... Set down... If you could... Wait, there. A Clearing..."

It was a small glade, made almost invisible by trees that could well be as large as young mountains. Their greenery hid only in the dark of the night, which to all those travelling, was just a slight shading of the world. It would be when they landed, that anything interesting would happen. Near the furthest edge of the most travelled orcs, along a migratory path of Anal'ra, one of the many kindreds of bestial beings, and gods don't know what else.... But it would be a while until ground would open beneath them. It would be perhaps another day, made on foot, before they reached the place Aramar was held.

Slowly, Kalandor became smaller, circling within the glade, legs apearing out from his form, slowly his body took form, touching the ground lighter than any feather, without the slightest buckling of the knees, as if he was a light footed dancer taking a single step, from stairs of air, invisible to all but the actors.

"The land here has not been rained on recently, and there is a small stream but a short walk to the east."
    Already Kalandor seemed to be restoring himself. His voice had become even, if not melodic.
    "I shall get a fire started. If nothing else it will be good to have a warm night."
    Show

Life is Hectic.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Carolinus fought the urge to smile at Haramhold's letter. He was mindful his brother was likely to ask his daughter how he had reacted and so looked suitably contrite. 'It is good to see my brother still speaks his mind.'

This was in fact the first news that Fayruz was indeed unharmed. He wanted to howl in triumph and relief. Although he was sure the scattering of the sparks around her indicated her safety the dark doubt was one of many that haunted him at night. Now it was dispelled. Needless to say this elation rather spoilt the terse effect of the rest of the letter. Still, it did sadden him Does he think I do not know I broke my vow? Does he not know what that costs me? Does he simply not care?

'When next you see him tell him I miss him greatly.'

"I will" I said leaving the question I wished to ask unsaid. What was in the letter? "Haramhold has put my men, Green MorningStar and I at your disposal. What do you want us to do?"

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shorewood View Post
    "I will" I said leaving the question I wished to ask unsaid. What was in the letter? "Haramhold has put my men, Green MorningStar and I at your disposal. What do you want us to do?"
    The slight woman turns from where she stood watching Silvar's departure and walks to stand by Carolinus, her face an unnatural shade of white, made whiter by some sort of powder. Her eyes glowed a slitted red, like those of a cat. A very sleek, beautiful cat.

"I would ask the same as the girl, except we bow to Silvar, and come without the toy boat." Vanara says in a lilting, sensuous voice, tipping her head dismissively towards Amanda, although the latter outstripped her by at least several inches. "Also, my men and I will require lodgings. No food or drink will be needed." Vanara pauses and looks in the direction Silvar took. "However, if you have any waiting to be sentenced to death, however, we can help them to...pass on. It would be our pleasure to relieve the city of their burden."

Spoiler
    Show
    Vanara creeps me out Still waiting on the reply to that PM Ladorak
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-06-26 at 02:38 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

'I am sorry Amanda. You have come all this way and I have spent so little time with you.' Carolinus reached out, touching her lightly on the shoulder. The physical contact prompted a surge of achingly familiar and worrying new emotions. So much had happened today, the arrival of the Titans, his brother, Silvar, Amanda and now he was leaving Markien with a hostile army camped outside the gates. Everything had taken on an otherworldly aspect to Carolinus' mind.

None of this showed on his face, his discipline was too great for that. But his eyes could not deceive Amanda, for Carolinus was made for self-discipline, not deception. She saw the loneliness and desperation in his eyes, a longing for a better time now long past and family scattered far.

He called to mind the faces of the people of Markien to steel himself. Yet the faces that came to mind were long since departed from the mortal coil, men who had bled to death beside him, children who had aged to elders and passed quietly in the night. The people are Markien were strangers to him now. He longed for a quieter time, with his own tiny tribe, when everyone would speak with him as an equal, where he was loved and valued, where his biggest worry was a handful of centaurs.

He forced all that back and brought Amanda once again to the forefront of his mind 'I fear I must seem a terrible uncle to you so far. That is something I will rectify, I promise, but not today' he shook his head sadly and spoke more to himself than those around him 'There is so much I wanted to ask you about my siblings.'

After a few sad moments of silence he swung to address Vanara also 'I will not bind either of you to stay here, but you are welcome for as long as you wish to stay. There will be no war while I am away, I believe this utterly. Everything I have seen of the Titans speaks to their honour. They are warmongers and slavers, but they will keep their word. Both of you should speak with Louisa, my prophet. She resides in Sanctuary, a city ten days ride from here. Leave your men in the care of the Lord Warden, he will see they are fully integrated into Markien forces.
    '

He then turned to fully face Vanara, all the emotion drained from his voice, all light fled from his eyes, replaced by the cold hard analytical glint of a warrior assessing a potential threat. 'Your offer is appreciated, but unneeded. We have but one law in Markien. We have also only one executioner. No matter how vile the crime a criminal is still a person, still possesses feelings and thoughts. That is something that should never be ended lightly. I will not allow another to swing the executioner's blade on my behalf. If I sentence a man to death I will carry out the deed myself, for the act demands gravity of that sort.' Now his eyes became more distance, but his voice took on a distinct note of steel. Amanda felt the implicit threat behind his neutral tone and seemingly harmless words most strongly, and was sure Vanara must have also 'And an executioner should not revel in their task. Every life taken stains our souls, but to execute a criminal is a black spot never to be erased, to enjoy execution is to be marred irreproachably.'

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't receive a PM
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

So do I submit, all of my heart and hours, to this for you, Raz_Fox. Take it all, and be satisfied!

Miracle

Sonata's expression became a smile. A laugh. A single laugh escaped her mouth. And then another and another and another. The sound of laughter cut through the fog and the mist, like a rainbow breaking through the clouds and to the ground. It was faint at first, but to become stronger and stronger. Like rain that starts slowly and becomes heavy and strong.

Sonata laughed.
    Because she was caught in the trap of Elanna. But she didn't care. To be here with Fayruz was enough.

Sonata laughed.
    Because some things can only be seen when you've lost everything.

Sonata laughed.
    Because a single note can invoke any feeling.

Sonata laughed.
    Because Fayruz called her name.

Sonata laughed.
    Because even though Fayruz yelled "run," it's meaning was clearly "save me."

It doesn't matter about Fayheran, or Elanna, or Uluuvatar. It doesn't matter about traps or veils or fog. It doesn't matter about exploited victims. It doesn't matter about innocence having been lost. It doesn't matter about waiting for long times, hoping and wondering if another person has forgotten. It doesn't matter to choose to take a difficult task, if one can be together again.
    To endure such a thing, to go to any end for someone means it is special. It is worthy to protect. Because such a thing maybe is feeling of Love.

So to be told "Run!" by such a person is the meaning of "You are important to me, so I want to save you more than to save myself."

Like the reflection of the water, a ripple goes up and down equally. It is the same on both sides. And so to hear the melody and the echo of these sounds endlessly in a heartbeat and a spoken word, Sonata rejoiced.

"Oh, my Fayruz. Thank you." Sonata said as her laughter became controlled again. With a grin that was too wide except for a fox. Eyes that were gold, like a certain twin who was chained. Sonata's smile was the look that maybe would mirror Fayruz's sometimes. Directed at Elanna, they spoke endlessly a song of storm and sky. To look down from a white moon upon a dark hole.

Pity.

Pity.

Pity.

But they were cool and it was not the pity to look equally. These were eyes to glare down and rejoice in a superior position.

"Oh, dear Elanna. Thank you. You should have stopped her from speaking. Because my sister's song does wild things to me. And her words are driving my crazier than yours.

"Please Save Me" is the song she is singing! To hear it echo here and there, around and inside... My heart is burning up! If I had the sword and shield like Carolinus, or the flames of passion like Shirvan, I would cut you down or consume everything!

But I don't. I can only swear and pray that the oath carved on my heart will let me become a song. With this burning spirit I only can do one thing.
    I will save Fayruz.
    LISTEN.
    Listen to my song!"

And Sonata shut out the sounds of Uluuvatar. She raised her hands and opened her mouth, and everything began to change. The sounds of misery and suffering were twisted and pulled, and Sonata paused to listen to these sounds. And in them she found again easily the voice of Fayruz, which was suffering and bound, and which called desperately in chaos. And Sonata reached for that song and stepped forward with deliberate and graceful steps into the shadows of silks. To Fayruz.

And the shadows and silks wrapped around Sonata and tried to make her fall. She stumbled three times, but each time she pushed ahead anyway. Somewhere, Khalen was with Elanna, but Sonata was focused with all of her divine will upon this task.

And her song cut through the shadows, they turned silk and ribbon away to open and reveal Fayruz to her. And Fayruz's song was opened to the world, it's pain and misery and hope and despair. And in that darkness, a light trapped and swallowed in shadow, there was a break in the song. The sound of a footstep and the splash of water of a toe that touches it gently. And this sound reverberated so loudly that there was only silence in this one pure note. And Sonata answered this song of misery that echoed Uluuvatar, and she wove it together with her own song.

And two voices rang out to be heard clearly. The voices of the two princesses of the White City, now descended into the darkest place of sin and misery.
    Spoiler
    Show

I am terrified of the melody of conviction echoing in the sky
    I sacrifice myself to you,
    so that this wish of mine can reach you
    grant me this one wish
    I wish that I may save everything

I am terrified of the darkness swallowing the earth
    but for you I will go any distance
    the wishes and memories entrusted to me
    and the hope that was left behind
    I shall continue forward and embrace everything
    May this power of mine shine beautifully
    so this love can protect everyone
    the future which you have told me
    the clouds of suffering
    yet it is so dark, I despair!

Amidst the faraway time
    we have faced countless sadness and suffering
    together we can overcome everything
    so do I embrace you
    and swear this oath engraved on my heart
    SING AS IF TO TREMBLE
    SING AS IF TO TREMBLE
    THE HEAVENS AND EARTH
    THE HEAVENS AND EARTH
    In the darkness of Twilight
    please, let this prayer be tied
    to my greatest desires
    and may this feeling of mine
    reach your heart

Sing, oh royal Dawn!
    Holding the wish that dwells in our hearts
    Tie our hands together
    Let the shadows fall away dear sister
    as I pull you freely to my breast!
    YOU I need you so much that I can't control myself
    You, who are so feverish, my dearest sister
    I touch
    I embrace
    I caress
    I comfort
    I pull away the veils of the body
    I wrap you with the rainbow of promise
    listen to me right now because I forgive you
    listen to me, because you are scared and suffering
    but take me
    I will save you from this illusion of pain
    this will hurt us both if you don't stop
    will this feeling ever reach you one day?
    and I love you
    and I love you
    please take me
    come away from this dark place
    and it is because I love you that it will hurt-
    No more pain!

SHOUT! WITH OUR HEARTS AS ONE!
    SHOUT! WITH OUR HEARTS AS ONE!

I hold in my arms comforting
    as I break the chains that hold you
    I shall bring you back to the sands
    of a home far from home

Planting a garden with seeds
    born of love and pain
    can someone like me leave this place
    and enter into paradise?
    and there I will offer to you ten million flowers
    the rains pouring love that never dries
    and together build a blooming paradise
    Reaching out to you
    I shall forever continue this song

I can hear your song
    praying that my love may reach you,
    I can feel your touch
    even if you wish to stay here
    Turning my pain to wishes
    I will always
    Believe
    Sing
    Together
    With you
    Our Song
    As One
    As One

Trembling with anticipation and relief
    I gladly will become a Song for you
    And as a Song I will embrace you, so that the thorns cannot hurt you
    and as a Song I will comfort you
    and I will protect you
    I wrap you in light
    Let Twilight and Dawn shine brilliantly
    and burn up all these shadows!
    And let my Sister's fever be taken
    and her heart unburdened!
    So do I pray 10 million times
    And sing to the White Moon!

And so it was that Sonata embraced Fayruz and broke the chains and fetters. The light exploded gloriously, of twilight and dawn together wrapped and split in the noble rainbow colors. And in the light beauty and misery were made clean and pure. Silks like chains were burned away as scars and paints were washed away. And Sonata held her feverish sister wrapping her with rainbow and song, released Fayruz from the torment and prison of Elanna.
    Spoiler
    Show

Acts

Spoiler
    Show

1 Major Act: Free Fayruz from Elanna's power by Harmonizing their Songs together and twisting it from Elanna.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2012-06-26 at 10:01 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Something moving in the bushes startled Silvar from his reverie. As a shadow, Silvar did not sleep, but he meditated instead, focusing his mind. The rustle came again. Silvar glanced about the clearing -- the fire had died to embers, and Kalandor lay sleeping soundly. The sound came again, and his eyes picked up the fox scurrying away through the brambles -- this was not particularly suprising, but the rabbit that was following it was. There was more crashing, and a deer, a wolf, and a pair of mated squirrels passed in quick succession.

The forest was on the move - fleeing from something. What could be so intimidating as to send the entire forest into flight? It was then that the acrid stench of smoke reached his flaring nostrils, and a faint rumble came to his ears. With the onset of darkness, he had grown slightly in stature, but he moved quickly and noiselessly, as befitted his nature. A hand over Kalandor's mouth and a quick shake was enough to rouse the Traveller God, ever a light sleeper.

"We've got to go. Now."

Even as he said it, the rumbling stopped, just for a moment. A giant plume of flames burst forth from the ground where they had been resting as a gigantic worm burst up from the ground before them. Flames poured off it in waves, making the nearby trees into infernos of flame. The flame curled into odd shapes, appearing like creatures at times, or like small people trapped, dancing among the sparks. The worm hovered there for a moment, and the little people and flames picked up pieces of the burning trees and threw them to the creatures, the wood vanishing in puffs of smoke as the creature grew brighter. The worm hovered there for a moment, and dove back for the hole from which it came.

Spoiler
    Show
    To Erik Vale:
    Feel free to make this encounter into whatever you wish. Im thinking along the lines of a worm that periodically destroys forested areas to encourage new growth, along the lines of a forest fire. You can feel free to attack it though, or treat it as though it were already gone. Your choice.
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-06-29 at 01:29 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

28. - Top - End - #658

Kalandor woke with just a hint of grogginess, entirely removed when the worm busted from the ground. In less time than it takes for a rats heart to beat, he had already propelled himself and Silvar 10 meters away.

"I agree, this way."

Already, the traveller had grabbed Silvar and was moving, and he made a sharp turn all of a sudden, reacting to a sense that was slightly lesser in Silvar, and had just started to pick up on it.

The worm came up for such a prey as god-flesh, thinking it may still be dazed. A spot that they would have occupied went up in a plume of dirt and flame. It ranged through here on a migrational hunt, and beings were here for the plenty.

Already, the worm dived down, returning to the ground, set a tremble, with the air filled with smoke, as various beings fled or attacked.
    This was something Kalandor hadn't experienced before.

"Tell me you have a clue other than running until I can jump with you again!"

However, Kalandor was already leading the duo towards a rockier area, making the occasional swerves before Silvar could pinpoint the worm.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

(Silvar, headed towards Aramar's Prison)

"Well maybe if you stopped swerving quite so much I could..." Silvar began.

"Halt!" he called suddenly. Both gods froze. Silvar made a quick, noiseless gesture with his left hand, sketching a quick, haphazard rune in the air. A haze of darkness floated off the glyph, enveloping them both in a shimmering dark fog. The darkness turned transparent and vanished. "It cannot see us or hear us, but it may be able to sense the vibrations we give off. It is rather more difficult to deflect that. So if we take off slowly, we could probably avoid the danger. Harming it would damage the local enviornment, destroying the web of life. At least, that's what Aramar would say." Silvar looks skeptically at the rising plumes of ash scattered about them.
    For the moment, I agree -- it has done nothing to us...yet. There is a grim set to his mouth.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    (Vanara, in Markien)

Muffled screams pierced the dark night. In an alleyway, a small clump of men were kicking a poor beggar boy. They laughed cruelly as they did so. The stink of alcohol wafted like them, the foul stench clogging the alleyway -- they wore common clothes, although one of the men sported the small stitched insignia of the city watch. He had been out late drinking with his friends and had chanced upon the boy, and decided to have some sport. The boy had curled around his stomach protectively, but the men continued to kick him. Blood dripped from his ear, where the steelshod boots of the errant watch-man had clipped him.

The men spun at the sound of soft clapping coming from within the alleyway.
    "Well well well. A valiant display of Markien valor. Three men against a demon of the pits." A beautiful woman stepped from the shadows, her steps coming slow and light. Her jet colored hair shone in the torchlight, the cloak about her shoulders billowed, and she moved slowly and seductively. The watchman, evidently the leader, moved forward confidently (albeit rather shakily), clearly taken by the beauty before him and by the catcalls of his friends.

"Now nowh there lady, we waz jus havin us some fun. Ah man has needs, if you know what ah mean," the man's speech slurred as he reached out to touch her arm.

"Quite." Came the response from Vanara as she ripped his throat out. As the other men stood gaping two other figures stepped from the shadows, and reached out to the men's necks. The men folded like rag dolls, collapsing into the mud. The figures crouched over them, each putting a hand to a man's forehead. A silvery shimmer ran up their arms, sinking into the flesh about their wrists. The one on the right let out a breath, as of relief. The boy kept watching, fascinated, until he noticed the shapely leg in the corner of his vision. He slowly turned his head to see the first lady, the one who had killed the first bad man. He swallowed, hard.

She smiled, revealing long teeth. "You have nothing to fear from me, child. But it would be best that you forgot this little episode." Her eyes widened, and almost unconsciously the boy looked deeply into them. They were beautiful eyes. Dark. Bottomless. "One could get lost in them forever," he thought as his eyelids slowly shut.

-----------------
    (Markien)

Though few had time to idle in the war-ready Markien, rumors began to spread of the disappearance of a man, a member of the Watch. The rumor, indeed, was not overly ill-received, for the fellow of which it spoke was known for his crude manners and vices -- gambling and strong drink figuring prominently among them. What was more of interest to the listeners was that two of this particular fellow's cronies (for cronies they indeed were) had been particularly close with him, but upon arriving at their residences, intent on questioning them, the Watch had found both insane. At least, they seemed so. One remembered nothing from the entire past year, and kept asking about things that had occurred that long ago. He had seemed befuddled even by his six-month old child, claiming that he had never had a son. The Watch had taken him into custody when he began ranting. The other was even worse. He seemed to believe himself a boy of no more than ten, prancing about and asking, with wide eyes, if he could touch the Watch-corporal's sword. And there were rumors of more cases, isolated and less severe, but spreading none the less. Was it a disease brought by the waiting army? Or by the close proximity of a locked down city in arms?
    Last edited by Demidos; 2012-07-02 at 02:52 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

30. - Top - End - #660

"Well then. I can do that..... Join with my shadow, if you would."

And right now, Kalandor started exercising one of the powers of a shape-shifter to a great delight.

Slowly his mass flowed up near where his head was.
    Wings sprouted out his shoulders.
    Slowly, two stick thin legs became one, and thinned out further.
    And then, as if summoned, a wind, actually from the flame, came with little calling, billowing under his wings. (He remembered to stop breathing)
    His mass began to reduce, to not that much more than paper.
    His leg disappeared into his body, suspended in mid air.
    Slowly, his wings caught air.
    He lifted.
    Mass went into nothingness, and form shifted as easily as water.

And the two gods were aloft, with not even the slightest tremor created.

It wasn't until Kalandor was 100m above the ground he started adding mass and flapping lightly, entering into a lazy spiral, rising high into the fire's up-draft, created by convection. He had to breathe occasionally, but it was rare enough so that he could filter out the toxins.

And they left, fleeing into the night.....

"You don't know... Of any other major.... Problems, along the way? Do you?"

Already, eyes weary from being pressed into work from sleep and suffering mildly from looking into flames, were well ready and adapted to a night flight.

"I know I can get there in one flight from here, but I would like one good night of sleep at least. As lazy as I can be gliding on air currents, you are actually able to rest in my shadow.