New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Man this game is fun but my game as leon is not going great I did manage to break up my large vassal into 4 vassals but i may just break up the kingdom it is becoming a large pain to deal with my vassals all hail gravelkind
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Picked up the game on release, only just saw the thread here. I've mostly just been lurking around on the Paradox Forum.

Anyone have some dynasties to reccomend? I just finished a game as the Duchy of Antioch. It was pretty awesome. Grabbed enough land to crown myself Despot of Syria before getting jihadded by the Shia Caliphate, stomped by mongols, than had my last heir assassinated. Good times.

Am now playing of Godwin, staring in 1066. Beat of Norse, lost to William, managed tk trow of the Norman yoke 20 years later, than converted to Catharism. I used holy war to take the rest of the Isles and am now a bit bored.

Any good games to reccomend?
    Carpe DM

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

I had some fun as trebizond.

Thinking of trying Henry the lion, strongest german ruler of the period.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    I had some fun as trebizond.

Thinking of trying Henry the lion, strongest german ruler of the period.
    That's quite a remark.
    Given that there were about 6000 of them, and there were (And still are) German dynasties on a lot of thrones.
    Must be pretty badass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nth Doctor View Post
    Picked up the game on release, only just saw the thread here. I've mostly just been lurking around on the Paradox Forum.

Anyone have some dynasties to reccomend? I just finished a game as the Duchy of Antioch. It was pretty awesome. Grabbed enough land to crown myself Despot of Syria before getting jihadded by the Shia Caliphate, stomped by mongols, than had my last heir assassinated. Good times.

Am now playing of Godwin, staring in 1066. Beat of Norse, lost to William, managed tk trow of the Norman yoke 20 years later, than converted to Catharism. I used holy war to take the rest of the Isles and am now a bit bored.

Any good games to reccomend?
    Ylving have satellite pieces of their family all over the place, and rule two countries independently from the start.
    Also they have some of the greatest potential for both failure and growth. (Being situated right next to valuable and vulnerable land as well as the Holy Roman Empire)
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-03-04 at 09:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Go Doukas, they literally rule eastern Europe.
    Last edited by Hajutze; 2012-03-04 at 10:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    I had some fun as trebizond
    Don't they tend to get steamrolled pretty quick?
    Carpe DM

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

For those who wonder:
    > You can play as a Pope.
    > You can play as a female Pope .
    > You can't change the Succession/Gender Laws of the Papacy.
    > You can't do s**t with the Papacy (s**t being excomunicating somebody or c calling a crusade)
    > It's pretty much the same as playing a normal kingdom.
    > At least it's quite hilarious to be a Pope and to have one of your vassals as an anti-Pope .

Guide for How to become a Pope:
    1. Get a de Jure Italy zone.
    2. Swear Fielty to the Pope.
    3. Attack him and dispose him.
    4. Get bored.

Anyway if you do want to play a whole game with them, after you conquier the Papacy open the console and type
    succ <type>

where type is "feudal_elective" "primogeniture" "seniority" or "gavelkind"

===============================================
    ===============================================

My current campaing:
    > Edited Corsica so it can hold up to 6 holdings
    > Started as Corsica and gave away Parma.
    > ~1200 year I declared independence war against HRE (!) and won it.
    > It's fairly fun TBH. Playing as single county, declaring random wars giving the spoil to your kinsmen. Too bad they are retarded (despite the fact that I "fished" genious and quick at the start of the game, none of them stayed at the gene pool for more than 2 generations) and lose the lands rather quickly.
    > Friendly advice - anti-pope.
    Last edited by Hajutze; 2012-03-04 at 11:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

Question: Does anyone know if ypu can name a head of religion as a heritic? I tried to figure it out in my Cathar of Godwin game, but I got nothing.
    Carpe DM

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Question: Does anyone know if ypu can name a head of religion as a heritic? I tried to figure it out in my Cathar of Godwin game, but I got nothing.
    If you mean excommunication, alas no.
    If you have a cathar anti-pope you can excommunicate any of your vassals, and if you place him on the papal seat you could have quite a bit of fun, but heads of religions are immune.

I'm getting really tired of heresy though, because it only seems to affect me and the HRE.
    And the HRE are beings huge ***** about it.

10. - Top - End - #100

Don't they tend to get steamrolled pretty quick?
    Depends when you start. The can't really survive historically because the game doesn't allow their historical strategy of marriage allliances with their muslim neighbours.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    That's quite a remark.
    Given that there were about 6000 of them, and there were (And still are) German dynasties on a lot of thrones.
    Must be pretty badass.
    Apart from winning a few wars in holstein that allowed the foundation of the cities of Hamburg and Lubeck and therefore the rise of the hansiatic league, he didn't really do much badass stuff. His main military campaign resulted in the destruction of the duchy of saxony and the title going to a much reduced eastern branch.

The reason he's the most powerful is that he got control of both bavaria and saxony at one point. Loading up as him I managed to get 46% of the de jure territory of germany just by creating duchies and pressing de jure claims and got the remaining 4% by pressing my vassal's claims and fabricating one.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2012-03-05 at 09:01 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally I got bored already so I tweeked the game a bit.
    I added 2 more buildings to my cities
    a) adds 50% of the gold from the market but removes 50% of the army
    b) adds more ship but removes levies, garrison size and fort level

and completly rehauled the castle system:
    I removed the buildings for troops and added 4 buildings
    a) adds heavy inf. but removes some quantity of the other troops
    b) adds pikes but removes some quantity of the other troops
    c) adds light cavalery but removes some quantity of the other troops
    d) adds knigts but removes some quantity of the other troops

The idea is that if you have few castles for example you can decide to shape your levies - 50% light cavalery + 50% pikes. The stacks in the current game are pretty much the same.

Since I dont know the language they use I can only edit stuff that is already in with a shape that is already in but I struggle with some stuff ... if any of you guys knows how to add a requirement for a building "doesn't have building X" feel free to help me xD. Another thing I can't find is where is the naming of the buildings (infile they are ct_port_1 for example, but the game reads them with a name, the only way I found out how to do it with a proper name is to add " " if you have a space; for example "Small Shipyard") or how to make new types of holdings.

For those who want to hold all English or Spanish kingdoms under an empire - the folder of the game > common > landed_titles. Look around the code and you'll figure it out how to add an empire (I haven't tested that one yet but I'm sure it's easy to do).

12. - Top - End - #102

The names are in the localization folder. Just look in the text files and search for the name of the building (eg. ct_port_1) .

You'll find a line that looks like this:

ct_port_1;Small Harbour;Petit port;Kleiner Hafen;;Puerto pequeño;;;;;;;;;x

Replace the English word with a word of your choice. You can also add new lines like:

ct_pikes_1;Pikemen Training Yard;;;;;;;;;;;;;

To name a building that builds more pikes, for example.

For prerequisites, try using the NOT = {} function.

eg. prerequisites = { NOT = { incompatible_building } }

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Already tried with the NOT = { <bulding name> } but it didnt work.
    For example:
    prerequisites = { NOT = { ca_training_grounds_1 } }
    The result is Requirements:
    notbuilding
    notbuilding
    notbuilding

Any idea how to make a building to give monthly piety/prestige ?

I am trying to make the 3 current types of holdings into 5
    a) the already edited castle, I like it a lot (it would be better to add some quirks for the AI so it wont build all of the buildings)
    b) a temple which gives prestige and piety for the cost of the gold income and/or army
    c) a coastal type of a city - no place for troops, a lot of merchanting and ships

(So pretty much a castle, a city, a harbor, a temple and a ... god knows what (a 2nd type of temple ) )
    Last edited by Hajutze; 2012-03-05 at 12:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104

No idea, you may have to do something complicated then. Post on the CK2 modding forums, they'll probably be able to help.

BTW, we totally need a CK2 Let's Play.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

Great title for an LP: play as house of Godwin in 1066 and title it "I Used to be a King of England like you, then I took an arrow to the eye".

Can't remeber where i saw that quote, but would make a great LP title.
    Carpe DM

16. - Top - End - #106

I have term break in a week. Could run one... But I've never written an LP before.

17. - Top - End - #107

Gave up. Bought game. Stupid mother saying "you should buy one of those games to keep you going over the break while you study".
    Now I'm addicted. I ONLY BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY AND I CAN'T GET ENOUGH.

De Bourgogne is an awesome place to start. Playing slow. On my 3rd Duke right now. 2nd Duke, Duke Henri II de Bourgogne expanded a little bit more into France and got the title of Duke of Berry as well. I have de Bourgogne's all over the place. My 3rd Duke is married to the Duchess of Anjou, and the next Duke of Orleans+Champagne's also going to be a de Bourgogne. Various other counts scattered around France are also de Bourgogne's. The next King of France is probably going to be half de Bourgogne, even if in the Capet dynasty still.

Kinda annoyed that the King of Castille won the Crusade for Toulouse, not me, that woulda been nice. As is, I'm one of the 3 most powerful men in France. The Duke of Aquitaine is #1, the King of France is #2, I think I'm #3 tied with the Duchess of Orleans+Champagne. Once I get Anjou I'll be above Orleans+Champagne, though.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2012-03-12 at 05:39 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Note to Duke Whotsisname of Mallorca,

when your uppity Count tried to murder you the first time, I had him imprisoned. Then you released him. I can completely respect that; mercy on his soul and so forth. Gives a nice opinion bonus. Then he tried again, and I had him imprisoned again. Clearly, one would figure, that guy is dangerous. Maybe he belongs in prison. Attempted murder is pretty serious, right?

One month later, you're telling me you released him again and he tried to murder you again? As far as I can tell you're not even asking for ransom. He gets to try again for free. What are you thinking?

You know the saying, right? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, I'm a complete tool and shouldn't be ruling over a paperclip box!

Note to King Michels II,

your grand-dad died in battle at the age of 48, leaving your father to rule at the tender age of three (four older sisters - I'd already groomed the eldest to inherit, too). He made it out of a 13-year regency just fine - then he died in battle at the age of 34. Despite their early exits, they were both great rulers, and you would do well to follow in their footsteps and expand the realm. And look at that, you formed another kingdom and took Jerusalem from the heathens in a holy crusade! Rock on! And you managed to not catch the bubonic plague, which is just as important an accomplishment.

That doesn't mean you have to friggin' impale yourself on some uppity rebel's pike the first chance you get just so you can die at twenty-four. That's not a record you have to break. Your seven year old son's regent is a complete dimwit (who appoints these losers?!), and approximately fifty thousand (okay, like ten) of my vassals are getting funny ideas already. Thanks for nothing.

I've had it with these ... children kings in this ... kingdom.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2012-03-12 at 08:00 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

That's alright. I just had the most horrifying thing ever happen to me in my game as the King of Ireland and Scotland - my only son died, and the next heir in line was my eldest of four daughters. All well and fine, but it was also my English daughter. Alas, poor Ireland, but we shall yet endure.
    Total War: 2126 - GM (IC OOC)

20. - Top - End - #110

It happens. My King of Ireland was once a German. Just make sure your heir is raised by a proper Irishman, and he had a chance of adopting the proper culture.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    It happens. My King of Ireland was once a German. Just make sure your heir is raised by a proper Irishman, and he had a chance of adopting the proper culture.
    Yep, that's the plan, but it seems the universe is conspiring against me. Of her three sons, the eldest returned to Eire, only to die without issue. The youngest two both remained English, so it'll be at least two generations before I can clean up properly.

Oh, and I'm at war with super-France and standard-England, both of whom are attempting to enforce claims on both of my kingdom titles, and I have no mercenaries, no money, and my levies are drying up. Nothing major, though, compared to the horror of an English ruler.
    Last edited by Mistral; 2012-03-13 at 12:57 PM.
    Total War: 2126 - GM (IC OOC)

22. - Top - End - #112

The Duchy of Burgundy is going through hard times. My marriage to the Duchess of Anjou fell through, she lost her Duchy title to some Englishmen and was left a Countess, then my Duke died childless and his son-less brother inherited.

My heir, a Danish-culture daughter, I married to an Aragonese Prince, then I had a proper heir, the Aragonese tried to kill him, I tried to imprison the Aragonese and he fled.
    Then I died again, and my 1-year-old son inherited. His Regent happened to be caught in the midst of a blood-feud with his brother. His brother came to me with proof, he claimed that the Regent was plotting against me, but the brother was a Kinslayer, Devious, and Excommunicated, so I disbelieved him. Turns out he was right, but I was able to convince the Regent to give up his plots.
    Oh, then he stole money from me.
    Oh, then one of my counts died, and his daughter was married to the Duke of Somewhere, and was going to pass the county out of my lands into his upon her death. Luckily, my spy-master found proof of a plot where she and one of the King's sons, who I had married to my cousin, were planning, with a bunch of Bishops, to kill my little sister. I convinced all the Bishops to leave the plot, then she refused to stop backing the plot, so I imprisoned her, confiscated her lands, and then she died in prison. :D
    Then my Regent had proof that my Spymaster was plotting against me, so I imprisoned him. Than he died.
    Then I came to age, married some Dutch countess, only then she died before I could get an heir, so I married some REALLY UGLY Bohemian Princess, because neither the Duchess of Viennois, nor the Countess of Lyons would marry me. If I had managed to inherit either, I would have been fine.

Oh, and then my kinsman to the North of me, the Duke of Champagne, tried to take all my lands, but I only just won by hiring two whole companies of Mercs, and killing every single one of my levies, and the entire first band of Mercs.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

23. - Top - End - #113

Question Re: Crusader Kings II

Someone knows if the endsaves can be imported in EU3?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Someone knows if the endsaves can be imported in EU3?
    Alas no.
    At least not without one of the things the community has cooking.

25. - Top - End - #115

They're working on it. The EU3-->V2 one is pretty good, from what I've heard.

So, France just went to the dogs.
    Basically, the Dukes of Aquitaine had a tradition where after every one died, all the sons would fight each other, and the son that got the title of Duke of Aquitaine would win. Well, this time he didn't stop there. He decided that he would try and get the throne of France. He kept failing. Until, that is, the King died, and his son came to the throne.
    The new King decided that he would inaugurate his reign by going on a few holy wars. He retook Toulouse, and was on fighting a war for Aragon when the Duke of Aquitaine declared war. And this time, he brought a friend: the King of Castille/Leon/Galicia.
    The King didn't have a chance. Eventually, he was slain in battle and the Duke of Aquitaine became King of France. Of course, he decided to inaugurate his realm by invading Mallorca (which he captures, btw). The King of Spain dies, and the new King decides that he wants the Throne. Now there's a 4-way battle for the Throne: King-Aquitaine, the rightful king who was the old King's son, a powerful Capet who's the rightful king's uncle or something, and the King of Spain who is backed by the Emperor. The King of Spain, so far, has won, but the Duke of Valois (the rightful king) and the Duke of Navarre (just an opportunistic Capet) are still fighting.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2012-03-13 at 07:27 PM.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Hold up.

You can become king of spain now?
    Was there a patch?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty sure he abbreviated King of Castille/Leon/Galicia to King of Spain. I'm not sure how you would patch that one in other than as a new Emperor title.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Pretty sure he abbreviated King of Castille/Leon/Galicia to King of Spain. I'm not sure how you would patch that one in other than as a new Emperor title.
    I'm curious, what would be wrong with adding in a new king title that was 'Spain'? This is a serious question - as I'm not certain why you'd need an emperor title for this. (or even why that would be appropriate.)
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Aragehaor View Post
    I'm curious, what would be wrong with adding in a new king title that was 'Spain'? This is a serious question - as I'm not certain why you'd need an emperor title for this. (or even why that would be appropriate.)
    "Emperor" should technically a Crown of Crowns. In the Western World, we don't have any equivalent other than "Emperor", but I think the "Overking" level of feudalism should apply. After all, didn't the English did it to the Scots, Wales and Ireland?

Castille did it with Spain as well.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

"Emperor" should technically a Crown of Crowns. In the Western World, we don't have any equivalent other than "Emperor", but I think the "Overking" level of feudalism should apply. After all, didn't the English did it to the Scots, Wales and Ireland?

Castille did it with Spain as well.
    No, they united the kingdoms.
    Something you can't do either.