New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Manly Tears: Things That Made You Cry

I trust you all have the capabilities to read the title, so I ask you: what was the last Song, Movie, Episode, or Book that made you actually produce tears. This is not a "that was Sad" thread. This is not a "Something in my eye maybe" thread. This is an "I actually cried" thread. I'll start.

* Hell is For Children by Pat Benetar. It's about children who are beaten by their parents. "You shouldn't have to pay for your love with your bones and your flesh".

* The biography of Andre the Giant: Specifically, he acknowledged that his life ending Giantism was worth everything he went through when he saved his brother's life by overturning a tractor he was stuck under. He said "I know now it was all worth something. God had a plan for my condition." His heart gave your when he was 46.

And for all men everywhere: You either cried at the end of Marley and Me or you didn't see it. NO EXCEPTIONS.

No linking to TvTropes Tear Jerkers please. It's not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Manly Tears: Things That Made You Cry

I don't remember the last thing that actually made me cry, so I'll go with the last things that made me choke up.

The Prince's Tale part of Deathly Hallows Part 2. Especially Snape holding the deceased Lily's body.

And an episode of Star Trek: Voyager I rewatched recently, "Real Life" . The ending gets me every time.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Last edited by Dr.Epic; 2011-07-30 at 01:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A lot with music. When I was twelve, I remember crying very manly, metal tears listening to Paschendale. The climax of Miles Davis's version of Porgy and Bess got me multiple times.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing. I'm incapable of crying over fiction. I might be deeply moved by something, but tears won't flow anyway.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The second time I saw Titanic when the water flowing was into the old couples room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I can't remember the last piece of fiction I cried over, to be honest...I remember doing that when watching the TV adaptation of "Kane and Abel" (specifically at the bit where Kane dies at the end), but that was 15 years ago and I'm sure there must have been something more recent!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Only three.

1. The Lion King -- when Mufasa dies.

2. Saving Private Ryan -- everything from the end of the battle to "Tell me I'm a good man."

3. Castaway -- When Tom Hanks loses Wilson. Though a recent SNL showed that Tom Hanks still had him, which means there was a happy ending*.

* THAT IS CANON END OF STORY.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with Tengu Temp. I don't remember ever crying over fiction, that's not to say I haven't been moved by something. Iroh Story posted above was pretty sad, also I always think The Band Played Marching Matilda is about the saddest song out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    And for all men everywhere: You either cried at the end of Marley and Me or you didn't see it. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    Uhh, not technically true in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    3. Castaway -- When Tom Hanks loses Wilson. Though a recent SNL showed that Tom Hanks still had him, which means there was a happy ending*.
    It was a ball.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

And Wall-E was a bunch of rastered polygons and textures.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I really can't recall an instance... I happen to be moved more or less often to a varying degree but crying... I really can't recall it (but I do have a poor memory)

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Yeah, that was pretty moving... but as far as I can recall he lost it. Haven't seen the SNL, though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    And Wall-E was a bunch of rastered polygons and textures.
    Aye but they at least have personalities and emotions. Wilson was a ball. When he lost it my response was: Oh, that's sad. Probably for the best though because if he brought it with him back into society he'd be sent to an asylum for certain.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Aye but they at least have personalities and emotions. Wilson was a ball. When he lost it my response was: Oh, that's sad. Probably for the best though because if he brought it with him back into society he'd be sent to an asylum for certain.
    Except . . .they don't. Wall-E is a fictional character, the emotions and personality are no more real than the old lamps in an IKEA ad.
    Wilson just happens to be a fictional character in-universe.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-07-30 at 07:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Except . . .they don't. Wall-E is a fictional character, the emotions and personality are no more real than the old lamps in an IKEA ad.
    Wilson just happens to be a fictional character in-universe.
    Now you're just being pedantic. As characters in the media presented Wall-E has a personality and obvious emotional displays to develop a full character to get attached to. Wilson was a ball.

Admittedly I wasn't enormously attached to Wall-E either, but that's beside the point.

15. - Top - End - #15

I did shed one tear in the LOTR The Two Towers movie, when the elves arrive to Helm's Deep xD
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Jurassic Bark.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Now you're just being pedantic. As characters in the media presented Wall-E has a personality and obvious emotional displays to develop a full character to get attached to. Wilson was a ball.

Admittedly I wasn't enormously attached to Wall-E either, but that's beside the point.
    Tom Hanks character was portrayed as having an emotional connection with said ball. Our feelings evoked were our empathizing with that characters point of view, we felt what he, Tom Hanks, seemed to feel.
    Ever had that special toy when you were a child, that you lugged everywhere and probably loved to bits, literally? Were you devastated when it had to be discarded or if you lost it?
    Wilson was that toy for Tom Hanks character. By watching him interact with an inanimate object, some of us got caught up in the madness of fiction.
    Personally, I found it a carried more then a little unintentional bathos, I also never felt much for the companion cube, but I can understand the feelings of those who did.
    I did cry at age six when my teddy bear Blueberry went missing though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Metal Gear Solid is pretty much "Manly Tears - The videogame franchise"

The plot and the characters are all rediculously over the top and many lines just completely cheesy, but the whole thing is exceptionally well written and the visuals and music work together perfectly.

The bosses are all very satisfying to defeat, but at least half of them are just so sad when they die.
    I'd link some videos, but the scenes probably won't work without the whole background and if you have a PS2 it would spoil way to much of the uncertainties. Let's just say the survival rate of named characters is under 20%, and almost everyone dies full of regrets.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-07-30 at 10:53 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Tom Hanks character was portrayed as having an emotional connection with said ball. Our feelings evoked were our empathizing with that characters point of view, we felt what he, Tom Hanks, seemed to feel.
    Ever had that special toy when you were a child, that you lugged everywhere and probably loved to bits, literally? Were you devastated when it had to be discarded or if you lost it?
    Nope, played with dinosaurs killing each other. I was a violent little bugger.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, played with dinosaurs killing each other. I was a violent little bugger.
    Even so, you projected emotions and motives, albeit violent ones, onto inanimate objects.
    Unless you had real dinosaurs killing each other, in which I am both jealous and horrified. But mostly jealous.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Metal Gear Solid is pretty much "Manly Tears - The videogame franchise"
    Especially the ending of MGS 3, when Eva is telling us the truth about The Boss. I like how you can hold the first-person view button and see Snake tearing up. Nice touch. I haven't played MGS4 yet, but I hear it's even worse about making you cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    You're a jerk.
    When The Walls Go Down by Evergrey always makes me cry. The words are taken from a sermon about the importance of suffering, and it's very touching.

In a similar vein, Vocari Dei by Pain of Salvation. The band put a phone number up on their website, asking their fans what they would say to God if they could. They took some of the messages and put it over music. Some of it is really heartbreaking.

Close Every Door To Me as sung by Donny Osmond makes me cry as well, but in a different way.

The scene in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air where Will's dad walks out has me bawling every time.

And finally, the scene in A Game of Thrones. If you've seen it, you know, and if you haven't, it's an enormous spoiler. I knew it was coming because I'd read the book, but it was just so perfectly made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seymour from Futurama. He was Fry's dog in one of those heartwarming flashback to the 20th century episodes. Long story short
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dog was fossilized and was going to be cloned. Then it was found out he died of old age and Fry decided to let him stay dead to be happy with his long doggy life.

Then there was the flashback to sad music. Since 'losing your dog' is on the acceptable list of things to be sad about:

man tear.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2011-07-30 at 12:30 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    That one makes me cry too. Iroh crying is what does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    The scene in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air where Will's dad walks out has me bawling every time.
    That got me.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Seymour from Futurama.
    This is one that got me too. That was just a really sad episode. And its still one of my favorite episodes too.

the only other ones I can really remember ever making me shed a tear was in FF7:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aeris's death scene. I don't know if it was more that she died, or that I lost my healer that I had put ALOT of work into.

and in the show MASH when Henry Blake died.
    Last edited by Antonok; 2011-07-30 at 01:11 PM.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Dobby dying in Harry potter movie...

How to train your Dragon: I thought he was dead...

Never saw Marley and Me: I assume it's sad?

Tengan Toppen Gurran when K died...leaving Simon without his best friend...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Uhh, Ladder 49? & My Sisters Keeper made me choke up, maybe shed a few tears, but yeah, not outright. Definitely Ladder 49 though. Hated that ending :-(

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

There was a battle in the Wheel of Time series, in book 4 I think, where Perrin went back to the Two Rivers, and defended the village against a trolloc army. The final fight scene where there are so many enemies its like watching a black cloak sweep across the earth, the villagers are being pushed back, they cant hold the line, when suddenly the women, who were supposed to be hiding or making their escape come streaming out with butcher knives and crude spears and start fighting for their town. The whole scene was a really emotional one for me. I didnt quite cry but my eyes did burn a bit.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wilson was that toy for Tom Hanks character. By watching him interact with an inanimate object, some of us got caught up in the madness of fiction.
    Personally, I found it a carried more then a little unintentional bathos, I also never felt much for the companion cube, but I can understand the feelings of those who did.
    I did cry at age six when my teddy bear Blueberry went missing though.
    It's more than that, even. It was also the closest thing he's had to human contact for all those years he was on the island. But that did mean that he had to lose Wilson for there to be any chance of him properly reintegrating into society.

And this was the link I mentioned:
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...usical/1317561

30. - Top - End - #30
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Million Dollar Baby. Not even Hilary Swank's whole deal; I've never really gotten choked up about injury/deaths in fiction. I mean, it can be tragic, but it's never really produced a reaction. But the idea of a guy who just had nothing left really got to me.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns