New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Great series, enjoy!
    Well... I only discovered it a week ago or so, and I'm already 60 pages into Book 3... I think it's safe to say I enjoy it ^_______________^

I think she could either not fully transform, or couldn't control it properly.
    Cannot fully transform, as a result is quite emotionally unstable because of raeg. As we've noticed.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    It's the name of an organization, not an object or thing, for what its worth.
    I literally thought it was just a magic-based internet for people who couldn't use computers.

What it actually is makes more sense and fits better with the setting. Thank god, I always thought the idea of a magical internet was stupid and Deegan-esque. Now I know why.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-04-12 at 06:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    It can work, but considering the amount of references, it feels more like an excuse than a reason.
    Doesn't he mainly quote movies which he could watch as long as he maintains sufficient distance from the projector? Otherwise I think the only internet related thing he quotes was The Evil Overlord List, which, considering he roleplays with a bunch of nerds, not exactly unexpected.

4. - Top - End - #634

Okay, let's give this a shot.

TRYIN TO EXPLAIN WEREWOLVES
    Spoiler
    Show
    The werewolves of the Winter Archipelago are the result of Callanian expansionism, back when the empire was young and dynamic, instead of farting away money and soldiers on meaningless tasks. Having to deal with the constant winter (which is a result of native magic, and not some actual human-caused accident), the colonists began an aggressive program of magical research into alterism, then a craft in its infancy. The magical eternal winter was harsh on the general Callanian hostile-environment magic - black magic fires ebbed and were chilled, and white magic became a stunted and shriveled thing. But alterism only had to work once.
    The breakthrough came with the human/wolf splice, which imparted various excellent qualities of the wolf to the settlers; excellent heat preservation, and enough muscle density and general resilience to largely replace the functions black and white magic played in Callan at the time. The cost? The apparent visage of a wolf, and the consequent mistrust of the people back at home.
    Through concentration, a Archiepelagan could shift his form to something with human seeming - still mighty, still dangerous, still with the stench of a predator and the bearing of an animal, but something that frail human eyes would accept as their own. And this was accepted as the "civilized" thing to do - it is men who are civilized, not beasts, after all.
    Following a cowardly and crippling attack from the orcs on the southern border, however, Callan had to withdraw presence from the Archipelago to address the threat. The war dragged on, and the Archipelago reverted to a way of life that made sense to the climate, no longer held in place by the need to interface with Callanians. The arising of a mad Scapilian prophet among them who claimed that it was the WOLVES who were God's chosen race after all further fuelled the fires of cultural shift. Following the extended war, the Callanian return to the Winter Archipelago found a backwards society of beasts, too crazed by their emotions to even make the pretense of being human. The first Callanians to return were, in fact, killed for the crime of teleportation.
    Weary from an extended war, Callan was in no mood to shed further blood and treasure to reclaim their colonies in the armpit of the world. The colonies were abandoned to their fate.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    I literally thought it was just a magic-based internet for people who couldn't use computers.

What it actually is makes more sense and fits better with the setting. Thank god, I always thought the idea of a magical internet was stupid and Deegan-esque. Now I know why.
    There's another comic that eventually features some kind of Magical Internet thingy: Zebra Girl. In the defense of the author, it is a concept that, like many others, gets deconstructed/goes horribly wrong/doesn't impact the plot for long/several of the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

6. - Top - End - #636
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Having grown up raised by television, videogames, and later the internet in lieu of human parents, I can't imagine living like Dresden. Not being able to watch television, use a computer, drive a car more advanced than an old Beetle, or even a modern fridge.

I guess being able to set buildings on fire with a word makes up for it all. Almost.

Edit:

As for the comic itself, anyone else think Katya's interest in Milov is a little creepy? He's her nominal superior/caretaker. The age difference (Katya is implied to be close to Nimmel's age and Milov is in Dominic's age group) raises the possibility that Milov might have helped raise Katya too. It's a good thing Milov is unaware of Katya's attraction to him, given the unequal nature of such a pairing.
    Last edited by M84; 2012-04-12 at 07:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    Having grown up raised by television, videogames, and later the internet in lieu of human parents, I can't imagine living like Dresden. Not being able to watch television, use a computer, drive a car more advanced than an old Beetle, or even a modern fridge.

I guess being able to set buildings on fire with a word makes up for it all. Almost.

Edit:

As for the comic itself, anyone else think Katya's interest in Milov is a little creepy? He's her nominal superior/caretaker. The age difference (Katya is implied to be close to Nimmel's age and Milov is in Dominic's age group) raises the possibility that Milov might have helped raise Katya too. It's a good thing Milov is unaware of Katya's attraction to him, given the unequal nature of such a pairing.
    Aren't they supposed to be cousins too?

8. - Top - End - #638
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Darn, and I was hoping Katya's loyalty to Milov was going to be a strong familial thing. But I guess that's not Mookie enough. Oh well, time to cross "incest" off the wrongness list.

Also because why not, Dominikudigan:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #639

Oh my, that's a thing of beauty today.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

10. - Top - End - #640

Time for another crazy girl love? Oh dear, what is it with Translation Party and borderline erotica?

11. - Top - End - #641

MindFlayer

Humbug, Humbug. There's nothing REMOTELY borderline about it!

12. - Top - End - #642

Mookie portrays Nimmel the same way he portrays Luna: both are "damaged" but are capable of wondrous feats that no one else can do. Both are surrounded by stupid, uncaring jocks that are completely powerless compared to the "oh-so-special" Nimmel/Luna. That is why Mookie is including so many links- it's his way of saying "look at the latest character that I'm crushing on!" The only difference is that Nimmel is guy, so he has weaker women falling for him. Because, as you know, every woman in Mookie-land is unable to stand up without a man (and in the case of the latest comic, literally).

Mookie really needs to stop recycling the same crappy ideas.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

All creepy, all pretty common in fiction, since unrequited and unsuited love is such an easy source of conflict. Or in Mookie's case, since so many other people have done it before.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

14. - Top - End - #644

It's funny, because she's always been the patient, loyal friend who supports Milov in all his decisions even when she doesn't agree with them, like getting in a pack with a Callanian woman, and she's been jealous all this time but never said anything out of respect for her idol, and now that his heart has been broken she is immensely angry towards the <insert gendered insult> responsible, but she still loves him so much that she dares not say anything in front of him, and she'll just let things happen until Milov's heart is broken again and then maybe he'll see that he had what he wanted all this time in Katya...

In other words, she's a complete Nice Girl(tm).

Which is why it's so hilarious that Nimmel is being such a complete Nice Guy(tm) to her. Heh, they deserve each others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Darn, and I was hoping Katya's loyalty to Milov was going to be a strong familial thing. But I guess that's not Mookie enough. Oh well, time to cross "incest" off the wrongness list.
    Huh. I thought this was pretty much a confirmation that she loves him. "Some of us can only dream about having what he gave you..."
    I'm actually a bit surprised that the comic treats this as a twist.

But I'm obviously in the minority.

@Gez: I hadn't noticed that. That's awesome
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-04-12 at 12:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Huh. I thought this was pretty much a confirmation that she loves him. "Some of us can only dream about having what he gave you..."
    I'm actually a bit surprised that the comic treats this as a twist.

But I'm obviously in the minority.

@Gez: I hadn't noticed that. That's awesome
    Yeah, but I could also see another reading of that line.
    Someone loving you and trusting you completely, with gentleness and warmth, accepting and loving you despite your not being his society's idea of an acceptable mate, and holding you dear despite what the world says?
    Someone in her position, whose casual friends get harassed just for being around her, could only dream of having that. So it's easy to read the line as being about the type of love and relationship, without involving Milov specifically as an object of desire.... It's not true, but it wasn't certain at the time. It's what I would have liked that line to mean.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-04-12 at 01:40 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

17. - Top - End - #647
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    There's another comic that eventually features some kind of Magical Internet thingy: Zebra Girl. In the defense of the author, it is a concept that, like many others, gets deconstructed/goes horribly wrong/doesn't impact the plot for long/several of the above.
    I liked what the way Mr. English uses the "maginet", it wasn't really the magical equivalent of the internet. It was more akin to a pocket dimension created on the astral plane. I think it came to be called the "maginet" by the people using it which made sense since most of them were either in their teens, or would naturally equate a mass meeting site to the internet. It's an idea that could easily be used in Dominic Deegan given how we've seen.

18. - Top - End - #648

MindFlayer

But nope. She was talkin' 'bout his Big Dog.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    But nope. She was talkin' 'bout his Big Dog.
    What could this possibly mean? Oh, if only there was some kind of comment under it to explain the joke? Perhaps with links to previous instances or maybe a suggestion to carry on?

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E
    The joke is that this is what Mookie does in his newsposts.

20. - Top - End - #650

MindFlayer

Still don't get it; you didn't link to enough instances of Mookie doing it for me to make the connection

(it's funny because it's a reference to this joke made, just now, by you)

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

You didn't tell me to-

-Rock on and geek out

22. - Top - End - #652

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Yeah, but I could also see another reading of that line.
    Someone loving you and trusting you completely, with gentleness and warmth, accepting and loving you despite your not being his society's idea of an acceptable mate, and holding you dear despite what the world says?
    Someone in her position, whose casual friends get harassed just for being around her, could only dream of having that. So it's easy to read the line as being about the type of love and relationship, without involving Milov specifically as an object of desire.... It's not true, but it wasn't certain at the time. It's what I would have liked that line to mean.
    Yes, that's the complex reading I'd have liked (it fits in better with romantic comedy hijinks too). But knowing the comic I knew it couldn't be more complex than "Katya crushes on Milov".

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    Well... I only discovered it a week ago or so, and I'm already 60 pages into Book 3... I think it's safe to say I enjoy it ^_______________^
    If you enjoyed the first two books, you're going to really love the rest. The first two are almost universally considered the two weakest books in the series.

24. - Top - End - #654

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    If you enjoyed the first two books, you're going to really love the rest. The first two are almost universally considered the two weakest books in the series.
    .... Duuuuuude.
    That AND my copy of For the Crown is only 2 days away?

Best day ever. ^____________^

That's all from me for now.
    Rock on and (nerd metal vegan) geek out.

25. - Top - End - #655

GnomeWizardGuy

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

I salute the Beast's noble effort to try to force itself back into the comic, no matter how hard Mookie tries to ignore it. Keep up the good fight, Snuggly.

Dominikudigan:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #656
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

I salute the Beast's noble effort to try to force itself back into the comic, no matter how hard Mookie tries to ignore it. Keep up the good fight, Snuggly.
    I think that is one of the archmages. The beast is more "flying spaghetti monster" this is more "slug with long eye stalks".

Edit.
    Seems like this is Alduraithel of the fourth circle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Veridis Quo; 2012-04-13 at 12:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    I think that is one of the archmages. The beast is more "flying spaghetti monster" this is more "slug with long eye stalks".
    You're right. I forgot a third of this comic's power hierarchy consists of eyeball stalk creatures.

Also shouldn't the Dominion phrase be "tosserphant in the room?"

28. - Top - End - #658

Boy, this page is boring, does it need to take up the entire update? It's less interesting because of the complete lack of conflict. I guess Mookie was trying to spice it up by having Snuggly/the Archmages spy on them, but what exactly will it accomplish? It's got nothing to do with the supposed plot at hand, you know, the necklace? *Sigh*
    Last edited by Humbug; 2012-04-13 at 01:18 AM.

29. - Top - End - #659

Read that sentence in panel five:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayden
    I don't think we... should work on us with one another.
    Who talks like that, seriously?
    I understand what Mookie was trying to say, but not how he said it. Does he not read these things back to himself even once before uploading them?

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Boy, this page is boring, does it need to take up the entire update? It's less interesting because of the complete lack of conflict. I guess Mookie was trying to spice it up by having Snuggly/the Archmages spy on them, but what exactly will it accomplish? It's got nothing to do with the supposed plot at hand, you know, the necklace? *Sigh*

I think we are supposed to infer that all the archmages are trying to get their mitts tentacles on the necklace. Alduraithel (I think that's his name) was hoping to get some plot important exposition, instead he got boring relationship drama.
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2012-04-13 at 01:49 AM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Milov is just luring her into a false sense of security so he can slit her throat again and dispose of the body. Katya is there to occupy Nimmel.

Also shouldn't the Dominion phrase be "tosserphant in the room?"
    To illustrate a point, a Deegan comic was cut-out into pieces. Four men were told to look at a section of this and this is what they said:

"Look at his snout! He must be a pig!

"Look, I can only see one eye. He must be a chameleon!"

"Look at that line! It must must be an eel!

"Look at that jaw! It must be a helmet!"

So you see, you need the full picture to understand the truth: Dominic Deegan has a crappy faux-anime style that makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    I think we are supposed to infer that all the archmages are trying to get their mitts tentacles on the necklace. Alduraithel (I think that's his name) was hoping to get some plot important exposition, instead he got boring relationship drama.
    Don't worry, it's not like it's completely unprotected or anything.