New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

He's not too terrible to listen to as long as you don't think about what he's saying. And AFAIK he always turns up, doesn't turn up drunk, or abuses the con staff. He's a safe booking to fill out the panel numbers.
    Mookie does a lot of good things: He has daily, regular updates. He has some good ideas. My impression is that he is a friendly guy who treats people well. That is why DD is still running after all these years.
    ...and that is also why his shortcomings are soooo frustrating! Professional have to commit themselves to improve, and Mookie just seems to comfortable with how things are to do that. Imagine if Mookie planned story lines in advance and had them reviewed by an editor! He would avoid many of the problems that plague DD.
    On the other hand, these problems make DD so great for snarking!

2. - Top - End - #842
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

I'm not understanding Snerk's proposal here. Nimmel has never shown the capacity to be an archmage throughout the entire story. If being an archmage means being a master of reality itself then Nimmel is only touching the surface of what he would need to accomplish. Plus you have to factor in that each archmage has spent their entire lives learning new forms of magic and refining older ones to give them the broadest range of specialties. Nimmel has none of these and no drive to even achieve it.

While I hate to dig into one of his wounds, Nimmel's inability to protect his friends has been weighing him down since it happened. I don't think that Luna really convinced him of anything other than not killing himself on that bridge. Since that event Nimmel has relocated to a different culture to run away from his problems in Callan. Gone to a region that allows him to be more powerful than others without having to improve himself that much. He constantly engages in delusions of power vs his TIM snow puppets, and to be honest just punching snow doesn't prepare you for a fight to the death.

How do I into archmage??

For me to believe that Snerk's proposal is legitimate, I would have to see Nimmel taking steps to actually improving himself
    Last edited by Veridis Quo; 2012-04-18 at 10:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #843

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    ~Snip~
    But how do you improve the Perfect?
    Last edited by WyvernLord; 2012-04-18 at 10:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    This is the Mookiest newspost I've ever read.
    *Ctrl-F*
    *No (vegan)*

I don't think so, Tim.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    Hahahahaha, oh my god, I never read this arc, ohmigod ohmigod Nimmel is such an *******!! I can't stop laughing!

How did Mookie not understand the implications!?!?!
    That part of the story reminded me of a common "bar fight" scene from action movies.
    You have the hero and you need to see his strength, so he will enter a bar, and there, he will have an artificial scene with an unimportant guy that usually starts along the lines of "you're sitting on my chair!" in a drunk accent.
    One spinning kick later, you have that guy flying outside the window, and the hero calmly leaves after paying 5 bucks for the broken window (don't they know how much these things cost?)

Mookie tried to do the same here, but with one crucial difference: I don't know any hero that during the scene said something like "I moved to this city so I can beat the crap out of people like you instead of risking a real fight", and say it PROUDLY.

He tried to repair the damage later, but the hero asked "was it a good thing to hit the guy in the bar?" instead of the actual problem.
    Last edited by random11; 2012-04-19 at 12:42 AM.

6. - Top - End - #846

Sneaky Gate

Future Link

R.I.P. Snert...

I don't even understand what's going on anymore...
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2012-04-19 at 12:19 AM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

7. - Top - End - #847

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Sneaky Gate

Future Link

R.I.P. Snert...

"How complete I can make your blindness?" Is he suddenly trying to parody/reference shows where you can't say die? And yea, what the hells?

8. - Top - End - #848
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isn't it obvious?

Dr. Slyball here is an award winning therapist, and he's here to teach this Dominion ape how to talk to runts!

Sorry he was so late, he was just finishing up there teaching that cryptic human-shaped abomination how to stop worrying and love the bombs.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-04-19 at 12:49 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky Gate

Future Link

R.I.P. Snert...

Okay, apparently yesterday I gave DD too much credit.
    It appears that Snert DID try to attack Nimmel, which means he DID have a 180 degrees mood swing in 3 panels, and also entered the list of moron villains that can't choose the right spell to kill one defenseless person.

I apologize for having hope.

Still, it's fun to guess stuff which will probably be better than the answer we get, so here is my next theory:

The wolves and Nimmel were infected by the beast some time ago, and it would have killed them in the moon ritual.
    The archmage didn't attack them, but used the fastest method he had to get rid of that infection.
    Since Jayden was not infected, there was no point to attack her.

Snert is working for the beast (willingly or not), and tried to take Nimmel so he won't be cured from the infection.

Yes, there are holes in the theory, but is still makes more sense than what we usually get.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Orc in the Playground

My thoughts on today's strip:

..... ....
    ..... ....
    ..... ....

Edit: Wasn't Snert smaller than noodle originally?
    Last edited by Myrdhale; 2012-04-19 at 01:11 AM.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

11. - Top - End - #851

Alright, so Snerk was attacking Nimmel. The 360' mood change was still pretty wtf and Mookie could have worded it better. However, I think Mookie kept it as vague as possible so he can switch the plot on the fly if he sees people complaining about it too much. It's why he always draws on the day he updates, and it also explains the really disjointed narrative.

And another huge problem with Mookie's writing. The villain having the ability to immediately kill the protagonists but leaves them nearly dead instead. Coz for some reason they are convinced that the protagonists will eventually die by bleeding out. That is extremely inefficient and is no guarantee that they actually will die. Wouldn't the villain want to doubly make sure?

Noodly Archmage could have easily made the Spellwolves' hearts or brains explode and yet all he does is target non-vital areas. Mookie, this makes your villains ineffectual and stupid. You want us to take your villains seriously don't you?
    Last edited by Humbug; 2012-04-19 at 01:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #852

To use a quote at its most apt...

"Space is warped and time is bendable!"
    LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #853
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, and "noodle" was also bigger than Miranda. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest size-altering magical powers. Yep. I know, it's just logical enough to be completely overlooked in the following comic's cliffhanger and "explanation" the following week.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So, where does he get the rapier from? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

If we had to get a sudden mood change i think i would have preferred something more subdued. For instance, instead of this high and mighty aggressive tone, I think i would have preferred is Snert was much more apologetic; he apologizes to nimmel but explains that if he is going to stand against his master then he will have to die, but he really does not want to kill him... That would have atleast had the effect of less of a mood whip-lash... though i would have preferred Snert simply keeping nimmel uninvolved so that he would not be killed, and trying best to stick to convincing Nimmel to join them as opposed to jumping to the "join us or die" mentality

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Dammit, Mookie. This is not how writing works.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ettin in the Playground

So, the Archmicromage is really a good guy, but doesn't want his fellows to know what's going on. In the matter of loyalty to the King of Callan, the category of "his fellows" includes Snert. I'm guessing that Snert's abduction provides a pretext to kill the little traitor, and Nimmel's infernal wound provides an excuse to keep him alive. Or something.

17. - Top - End - #857

AssassinGuy

Perhaps the Archmage decided that Nimmel would be a better host/servant than Snert and killed Snert to save him. Then he'll try to convince Nimmel to join him, possibly sweetening the deal by offering to fix his eye.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Was Snert the guy killing Milov and Katya? Is he evil and Noodel is the good one?

19. - Top - End - #859

Ok, I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Was Snert the guy killing Milov and Katya? Is he evil and Noodel is the good one?
    The way I see it, both Snert and Noodly are evil, or at least, in cahoots with/mindcontrolled by DJ. Both attacked the protagonists with the intention to kill them. And by Mookie logic, that automatically makes them the bad guys. It is Noodly who is making the Spellwolves go explodey, because we see him do the same thing to Snert later and he is supposed to be germ based species? Now, Snert spirits Nimmel away because he saw the Mary Sue in Nimmel and wants him to join DJ. Of course Nimmel refuses, so Snert does a 180 and tries to kill him instead. Apparently, Noodly does not like this, because Nimmel's Mary Sueness is too great to waste, so he kills his little aide. And now Noodly wants to make the exact same deal with Nimmel again? ...Eh? Well, why else would he want Nimmel alive?
    Last edited by Humbug; 2012-04-19 at 02:59 AM.

20. - Top - End - #860

Mookie must think the random explosions and blood splatter is cool, so he throws a few of them in to make this week more interesting. But I don't think he figured out who is a villain and what their motivation might be. It is like a DM that throws a few random monsters at a group, and then decides that one of them should be an ally or something. It is one thing to have surprises, it is another to have no idea what is happening.

The only things that I know for certain in this arc are:
    1. Nimmel will end up being a hero,
    2. Milov and Katya will not die,
    3. I really don't care about any of it!

21. - Top - End - #861
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh, I don't know: I still like to think that this entire week is the best thing Mookie has done in ages. Is it good? Not really. Does it make any sense? Oh God no! Is it keeping me interested? Yes. Somewhat.
    "Killing is WRONG Celesto."
    "My God you're right"

Awesome Professor Dandria avatar by Ceika, queen of the awesome.

22. - Top - End - #862

So, I guess Snert isn't going to give me that explanation I was jonesin' for.

It's up to you, Noodleman, who's too small to be seen. Especially since you found Snert and Nimmel immediately.
    Right now, my understanding is this:
    • Nimmel was always the target. The wolves were literally inconsequential.
    • Snert, secretly in love with the archmage who has never reciprocated his emotional intimacy with physical intimacy.
    • Snert diverts Nimmel off-plane, the equivalent of down into a dark alley, to tell him a lot of lies about Noodles to get him mad so he won't want Noodles, and then murder him so Noodles won't have him.
    • Noodles shows up, fails to see Nimmel, vents rage by exploding werewolves in a move that future historians will characterize as "completely reasonable." Ports over to Snert, sees what the deal is.
    • The whole chestbursting thing is how Noodles gets places, which makes it downright confusing why his mode of attack wasn't "Go to Milov"

Well that's all from me.
    Rock on.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

23. - Top - End - #863
    Colossus in the Playground

New theory! The tiny archmage wasnt trying to kill them, he was trying to WARN them! The problem is, he is an alien trying to figure out human biology, so he keeps picking the wrong spots to try and interface with them in order to be able to communicate. By using nimmels bad eye he is able to connect to him without destroying a body part that was working just fine earlier today, and he will hopefully be able to deliver his warning.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dandria View Post
    Eh, I don't know: I still like to think that this entire week is the best thing Mookie has done in ages. Is it good? Not really. Does it make any sense? Oh God no! Is it keeping me interested? Yes. Somewhat.
    That's what I feel too.

I also believe it's the result of REALLY low expectations.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just don't know...there are so many things wrong with the pacing of the last 2 weeks. It feels like Mookie just put the petal to the metal and we're all speeding along this plot at reckless speeds.

Buckle up everyone, we have a friday cliffhanger bearing down on us.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Important Newspost Announcement!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    The comic will update tomorrow normally, but there may be filler on Monday. I'll see if I can convince my fellow guest and weekend roommate Dirk Tiede to help me put together something cool for the likely Monday filler.
    Bolded for awesomeness.

While I am never surprised to hear that Mookie is going to use random filler, it is surprising that a bona fide artist might be willing to make it for him. For those who don't know, Dirk Tiede does Paradigm Shift -- a middling, but solid, webcomic in my estimation -- and makes pages that look like this.

He also did some sweet fan arts for Narbonic back in the day.

This is literally the best thing I've heard about Dominic Deegan in years
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #867

Where is Nimmel, anyway? I don't think it was ever stated what kind of psycho dimension thing he was brought into. And you know what, this happened in the art gallery arc as well. Luna went through the painting into a psycho dimension thing, but it was never explained where she was. Mookie isn't even trying to make his world make sense anymore; he just has his characters get sucked into bizarre background worlds without bothering to explain anything.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Dirk Tiede
    Tiède means "tepid" in French. It's funny because it's Mookie who is tepid writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

29. - Top - End - #869
    Orc in the Playground

I just noticed little noodle there that globs on to nimmel has only 1 eyeball. Maybe Noodle mitosised or something, and his main body is under evil control but his good mind is in the little germ?

Makes about as much sense as anything else.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Admittedly that is why I want to see his superhero comic. It's going to be a big game of Guess-Which-Comic-This-Is-Ripped-Straight-Out-Of.
    So it's like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Mookie is the Alan more of webcomics?

Sneaky Gate

Future Link

R.I.P. Snert...

It's pretty obvious. Remember: "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king". This means both Nimmel and noodles are royals, and king DJ is an imposter. (Nimmel is obviously the rightful heir to the throne of Callan and the evil king DJ cheated him out of it.) And since both Nimmel and Noodles are of royal blood, they can easily fuse without repercussions from transplantation reject. And now they have two eyes, which means they are emperors now.

Also: Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with Snert trying to kill Nimmel? If the later can be a powerful ally, he obviously can be a powerful foe. Who now had critical intel. It's rather logical to instantly kill him, especially since he showed absolutely no interest in joining team Archmage. And Snert didn't seem to be the emotional and talky kind of guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin