New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends XXXII: Cupcakes and Kittens and Squirrels. Oh my!

If you want similar items for damage on Alistar, I'd grab a Black Cleaver, a Ghostblade or a Hat, depending on whether you like the whacking part or the ability part.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

I feel like CDR is the only thing that is of primary importance that you get from Nashor's on Alistar, and you can max that out anyway with Frozen Heart, Shurelias and defence masteries.

When it comes to aggressive items, I'd much rather get hold of Triforce since it gives you movespeed and health (both of which I consider stats of primary importance on Ali) plus a good mix of offensive stats including the proc, which is probably worth more damage than the extra AS and AP Nashor's offers over Triforce since you don't have any high DPS spells or much attack damage (and anyway, the AS loss vs Nashor's is more than made up for by the AD and crit on Triforce - crits with a Triforce proc and your ult active can actually be pretty nasty).

If you have to go for heavy damage items on Alistar, your team probably won't be enough for you to win the game anyway. Focus on staying alive and using your CC frequently and in the best positions possible (which is why I think CDR and movespeed are really important).

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

Considering that even people who can use all of Nashor's stats in synergy--short CD damage spells and AP to autoattacks (think Jax, Kayle, Kog, TF, Orianna)--usually don't buy it, it certainly isn't optimal for Alistar.

I do want to see a return of AP Cow, but jungle probably isn't enough gold for him to get his staple Hat+Lichkiller damage items.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2012-03-30 at 01:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Considering that even people who can use all of Nashor's stats in synergy--short CD damage spells and AP to autoattacks (think Jax, Kayle, Kog, TF, Orianna)--usually don't buy it, it certainly isn't optimal for Alistar.

I do want to see a return of AP Cow, but jungle probably isn't enough gold for him to get his staple Hat+Lichkiller damage items.
    You can probably run a pretty decent top lane Alistar. Sure, he's unlikely to work wonders as far as harassing the enemy laner too much, but he should be pretty tough to get rid of vs a lot of bruisers and he sets up the potential for good ganks if you have a high damage, low CC jungler like Shyvana. The only problem is I feel like you probably have to build a decent bit of survivability early on in order to get him to the point where you can start going pure AP, but that isn't much of problem because an Alistar with some survivability is always very useful.

I may give it a go and report back.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terribad View Post
    So whats your final rune set up for jungle noc? I'm looking for new junglers to play beyond Udyr and GP. Yes I have Lifesteal Quints, used to pack them on my AD carries in blind pick normals with no supports
    I mentioned it earlier. :3
    Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    I run jungle Nocturne with Attack Speed/Armor/Scaling MR/Lifesteal, 17/13/0, Boots+3 into 2x Doran's Blade
    He's really fun, scales well, and puts a lot of pressure on lanes at every stage of the game. He just can't be a primary form of initiation. He has huge synergy with manaless AP carries and strong initiators; Nocturne is significantly stronger if he gets to keep his 7 minute blue, since that syncs up with his first ultimate almost perfectly. However, that's not an excuse to deprive your Morgana, Cassio, Ryze or w/e. Be a team player. The most recent (and final) IPL Killing spree was Dignitas vs TSM. Dignitas mostly won their lanes and won objectives, but TSM ran Vlad top, Kennen mid, Jungle Noct and Ashe bottom and their chain initiation was completely bonkers so they just won (like, they practically aced for 0 against Dignitas with Baron buff).

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    If you want similar items for damage on Alistar, I'd grab a Black Cleaver, a Ghostblade or a Hat, depending on whether you like the whacking part or the ability part.
    This is surprisingly good advice. Ghostblade, specifically, has massive amounts of synergy with Cow. It's like triforce but cheaper, and it has all four sources of multiplicative scaling for AD along with CDR and movespeed, which are fantastic on Alistar. Unlike support-tank Cow, you're only really capable of contributing your full weight to a teamfight when your ult is up, but you should still max out CDR between Ghostblade and Shurelya's/Frozen Heart/Randuin's, etc. Shouldn't be a problem, scales absurdly well into lategame. Tanky AD Alistar is terrifying.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-03-30 at 02:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

This is surprisingly good advice. Ghostblade, specifically, has massive amounts of synergy with Cow. It's like triforce but cheaper, and it has all four sources of multiplicative scaling for AD along with CDR and movespeed, which are fantastic on Alistar. Unlike support-tank Cow, you're only really capable of contributing your full weight to a teamfight when your ult is up, but you should still max out CDR between Ghostblade and Shurelya's/Frozen Heart/Randuin's, etc. Shouldn't be a problem, scales absurdly well into lategame. Tanky AD Alistar is terrifying.
    Just straight AD Ali is downright scary too. Guess what's better than either Trinity or Ghostblade? Both. I did post that game where I just went around the map killing everyone as straight AD Cow :P Your ulti and CC gives you survivability while you rightclick people to death.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-03-30 at 02:56 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Just straight AD Ali is downright scary too. Guess what's better than either Trinity or Ghostblade? Both. I did post that game where I just went around the map killing everyone as straight AD Cow :P Your ulti and CC gives you survivability while you rightclick people to death.
    Yup. You straight up out-duel anyone who isn't ranged or Olaf simply because you can right-click them and they can't right-click back while they're in the air/displaced.

That is likely the single most frustrating League experience I've had. Losing lanes is fine and everything, but literally having the same build as an AD Alistar with the exception of my own infinity edge and being unable to kill him is just the worst.

He's going to tease me about it, too, once he sees this post.

8. - Top - End - #188

Yup. You straight up out-duel anyone who isn't ranged or Olaf simply because you can right-click them and they can't right-click back while they're in the air/displaced.
    And even with ranged people, you have the ridiculous gapcloser that is Headbutt and probably enough damage to outright kill them while they're airborne outta headbutt pulv and your ult to shrug off any slow they're trying to kite you with. And your ult kinda trumps Olaf's ult with a similar duration, in spite of Reckless Swing (though Olaf is as close as it comes to a counter).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-03-30 at 03:28 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

I mentioned it earlier. :3

He's really fun, scales well, and puts a lot of pressure on lanes at every stage of the game. He just can't be a primary form of initiation. He has huge synergy with manaless AP carries and strong initiators; Nocturne is significantly stronger if he gets to keep his 7 minute blue, since that syncs up with his first ultimate almost perfectly. However, that's not an excuse to deprive your Morgana, Cassio, Ryze or w/e. Be a team player. The most recent (and final) IPL Killing spree was Dignitas vs TSM. Dignitas mostly won their lanes and won objectives, but TSM ran Vlad top, Kennen mid, Jungle Noct and Ashe bottom and their chain initiation was completely bonkers so they just won (like, they practically aced for 0 against Dignitas with Baron buff).
    I should point out that Dignitas ended up winning the Bo3 with their own late-game comp of Mord mid, Kog/Soraka bot, Olaf top, and Mundo jungle. Who needs initiation, just tank them out. It helped that Olaf kinda eats WW alive top.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

And even with ranged people, you have the ridiculous gapcloser that is Headbutt and probably enough damage to outright kill them while they're airborne outta headbutt pulv and your ult to shrug off any slow they're trying to kite you with. And your ult kinda trumps Olaf's ult with a similar duration, in spite of Reckless Swing (though Olaf is as close as it comes to a counter).
    You do run into trouble with Tristana and to a lesser extent Ezreal, I imagine. It's frustrating that the best way to peel an Alistar would be another Alistar. I really do think that Tristana, Poppy, and Olaf are really the only champions that Alistar could potentially find problematic lategame. It's messed up. Alistar's kit is just bonkers, especially with those base stats. Just one of those champions that does everything well. There aren't many 4-role champions left, so that's saying a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    I should point out that Dignitas ended up winning the Bo3 with their own late-game comp of Mord mid, Kog/Soraka bot, Olaf top, and Mundo jungle. Who needs initiation, just tank them out. It helped that Olaf kinda eats WW alive top.
    I honestly feel that the last two games weren't super interesting to watch, since teams just got out-picked. Watching the plays in game 2 was pretty amusing, though.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbaniya View Post
    You can probably run a pretty decent top lane Alistar. Sure, he's unlikely to work wonders as far as harassing the enemy laner too much, but he should be pretty tough to get rid of vs a lot of bruisers and he sets up the potential for good ganks if you have a high damage, low CC jungler like Shyvana. The only problem is I feel like you probably have to build a decent bit of survivability early on in order to get him to the point where you can start going pure AP, but that isn't much of problem because an Alistar with some survivability is always very useful.

I may give it a go and report back.
    Top lane Alistar worked to a degree until the nerfs to heal. It really hurt his ability to trade, as Headbutt and Pulverize just take too much mana to use them consistently. The main problem with top lane Alistar is that other people scale better with gold and Alistar doesn't need much gold to still be a righteous terror. With that in mind, giving him a solo lane over other champions is often going to result in a weaker overall team.

Also, I don't really see the point of going AP Cow nowadays. His total ratios are competitive with Spirit Fire. Like, you full combo someone, Nasus drops Spirit Fire. Similar amounts of damage.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

I hadn't previously thought about Ghostblade seriously but that's a pretty persuasive argument for it. I think the only issue is you're maxed on CDR by the time you get Shurelias and FH - both of which seem very strong on jungle Alistar - if you have the CDR defensive masteries.

Quote Originally Posted by fred dref View Post
    Top lane Alistar worked to a degree until the nerfs to heal. It really hurt his ability to trade, as Headbutt and Pulverize just take too much mana to use them consistently. The main problem with top lane Alistar is that other people scale better with gold and Alistar doesn't need much gold to still be a righteous terror. With that in mind, giving him a solo lane over other champions is often going to result in a weaker overall team.

Also, I don't really see the point of going AP Cow nowadays. His total ratios are competitive with Spirit Fire. Like, you full combo someone, Nasus drops Spirit Fire. Similar amounts of damage.
    I agree to be honest but it would be nice to try at least. While he's never going to be the most competitive solo lane, I do think he can be decent, but it really does feel like if you're going to have an Alistar on your team you're better putting him in a position with less farm and more roaming potential because he's one of the strongest no-item champions in the game.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

As someone who's played AP Nasus, I have to say that Spirit Fire can hurt, especially if you expect it to deal almost no damage.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbaniya View Post
    I hadn't previously thought about Ghostblade seriously but that's a pretty persuasive argument for it. I think the only issue is you're maxed on CDR by the time you get Shurelias and FH - both of which seem very strong on jungle Alistar - if you have the CDR defensive masteries.
    In which case I'd advise someone else on your team to pick up a Frozen Heart if you need the passive, then grab either a GA or a Randuin's for some more armour. They're all really strong armour items.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    As someone who's played AP Nasus, I have to say that Spirit Fire can hurt, especially if you expect it to deal almost no damage.
    As someone who has also played AP Nasus, it really does not deal enough damage to justify AP. Lich Bane is the real winner there, although the ult doesn't hurt.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

As someone who has also played AP Nasus, it really does not deal enough damage to justify AP. Lich Bane is the real winner there, although the ult doesn't hurt.
    As a nationally ranked AP Nasus player someone who has played AP Nasus in a 'call a role, then random in' penta-troll-y game, I have to admit that my build may not have been thought out. See what I did there?
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-03-30 at 06:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

So, I finally got my winnings from the tournament. Got up to 10 runepages & Lulu (plus skin bundle) [apparently the bundle was a part of the rewards; I only purchased the runepages]. Feels good!
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-03-30 at 08:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hehe...watching the Epik vs. dB Gaming match right now, and I'm ecstatic over Epik picking an all-yordle team. Teemo, Kennen, Corki, Lulu, Amumu.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

So, I finally got my winnings from the tournament. Got up to 10 runepages & Lulu (plus skin bundle) [apparently the bundle was a part of the rewards; I only purchased the runepages]. Feels good!
    Congrats! I'm seriously glad that those 2300 Elo Dominion queue times paid off.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Barbarian in the Playground

The downside is that it's impossible to play dominion with him in normal queue and not lose like nine out of ten games, because our team (including me!) is bad.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    In which case I'd advise someone else on your team to pick up a Frozen Heart if you need the passive, then grab either a GA or a Randuin's for some more armour. They're all really strong armour items.
    Yeah it'd be nice to actually try out Ghostblade with Randuins. I like Randuins but on someone like Alistar I'll almost always head straight for FH. In a situation where you've got a top lane that wants FH (WW is the obvious one I suppose) then jungle Alistar with Ghostblade and Shurelias and Randuins sounds pretty strong. I definitely like the idea of having a second active speed boost - there are a lot of times I'll want to chase someone so I can knock them back into my team with Alistar and anything that helps that is going to mean MORE KILLS.

22. - Top - End - #202

Skarner.

What happened? Why did they Buff his mana costs for Q only to practically revert them? I feel kinda bad that they did this since he is the only champion that I payed RP for.

Why not change the damage, cooldown or slow? The mana cost is just crippling.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    Skarner.

What happened? Why did they Buff his mana costs for Q only to practically revert them? I feel kinda bad that they did this since he is the only champion that I payed RP for.

I don't actually own Skarner, but I generally prefer the base numbers or scaling on abilities to be changed rather than the mana costs if it's purely about balance. If you change the damage or effect done by an ability, you don't affect the playstyle, but if you leave an ability too strong but just make it prohibitively expensive, you change what may have been a fun part about the character (in Skarner's case, keeping Q ticking over is an important mechanic).

24. - Top - End - #204

Indeed. It's kind of a frowntown that the only thing you get for being good on Dominion is insane queue times; basically, your reward for performing well is that you're no longer allowed to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny of Faith View Post
    The downside is that it's impossible to play dominion with him in normal queue and not lose like nine out of ten games, because our team (including me!) is bad.
    Yeah, but at least we have at worst 10 min queues this way

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    Skarner.

My remedy for your ailments good sir!
    -RoA
    -Mercs
    -Triforce
    -Wit's
    -Frozen Heart
    -Atma's

Woo!
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Excessive. Philo Stone into Shurelya's plus Sheen/Triforce should be sufficient unless you plan to try and find hidden Evelyns by spamming Q nonstop all over the map.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Excessive. Philo Stone into Shurelya's plus Sheen/Triforce should be sufficient unless you plan to try and find hidden Evelyns by spamming Q nonstop all over the map.
    That sounds just about my play style.

I honestly don't like Shureliya's, I just don't. I know I'm missing out on a lot of goodies by not taking it, but I still just don't like it. Anywho, RoA Skarner seems to be my thing with him, so I'll stick to it 'cause it works for me.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    ... you plan to try and find hidden Evelyns by spamming Q nonstop all over the map.
    This is a great idea.

29. - Top - End - #209

Never waste money on pink pots/wards again!

Speaking of stealth, damage doesn't break stealth, does it? Only the application of delayed stealth like Teemo or Eve, if I'm not mistaken?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    Never waste money on pink pots/wards again!

Speaking of stealth, damage doesn't break stealth, does it? Only the application of delayed stealth like Teemo or Eve, if I'm not mistaken?
    If you are trying to stealth and, say, are getting auto attacked, it will keep you from stealthing until you stop taking damage and don't get hit. Then you'll stealth.

It's amusing how I can kill teemo as Mordekaiser when I know where he's hiding.