New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

It'll be very interesting. I'm excited!

All in all, the show is doing very well so far.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Lets see:

Ancestor that had his life ruined by benders multiple times. Check
    Possible connection to someone rich for funds (Satomobiles). Check
    Traveled around the world so he could possibly pick up enough information to effectively fight the benders (the cabbage guy traveled a lot and quite fast). Check

Yeah I'm with you Morty the evidence is quite clear. Amon the Cabbage bender.
    Recently
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amon was a victim of Firebender extortionist who burn down his farm (Cabbage?). killed his family and burned his face. If it is a lie. Or he might be Aang since he can take powers away.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

3. - Top - End - #573
    Colossus in the Playground

Did anybody else consider this episode to be chock-full of nightmare fuel?

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Did anybody else consider this episode to be chock-full of nightmare fuel?
    Not necessarily nightmare fuel, but the Equalists are definitely more sinister and threatening than the Fire Nation as an enemy.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Recently
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amon was a victim of Firebender extortionist who burn down his farm (Cabbage?). killed his family and burned his face. If it is a lie. Or he might be Aang since he can take powers away.
    He can't be Aang - for Korra to be alive, Aang had to have died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

The metalbender police should be extremely dangerous opponents; their metal whips are going to be very difficult to dodge, and they're fully-fledged Earthbenders to boot.

There doesn't appear to be a whole bunch of them, though, which the criminals are probably lucky for. Paratrooping metalbending zeppelin police is not something I imagine most criminals would want to run up against.

Organized crime must have to be very discrete.

Amon isn't the cabbage guy; there's a corporation in Republic City called "Cabbage Corp". Cabbage Guy's offspring have their own company; it's not in their interest to upset the social order.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-21 at 07:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    The metalbender police should be extremely dangerous opponents; their metal whips are going to be very difficult to dodge, and they're fully-fledged Earthbenders to boot.
    Amon took out a firebender that could shoot lightning. Which is harder to dodge?

8. - Top - End - #578
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Yeah, the metalbending police would be one hell of a force to fight against. Aside from being a paratrooping police force with a very solid basis in earthbending, you've also got to consider that they're in an industrial city, with cars and whatnot everywhere. That leaves them with a ridiculously good situational advantage in just about every part of the city.

Although, the fact that the Equalists are able to get that much influence means that the metalbending police isn't really dealing with problems very effectively (elimination purely by the police at this stage is more-or-less out of the question, as it provides more fuel about the whole "we're being oppressed by the benders" deal). Not to mention, the Triple Threat Triad manages to stay around, even with the police. From what we've seen so far, they're either stretched ridiculously thin, or they're really bad at their job.

This whole deal begs the question about where the hell Amon gets all of the equipment and training for his men. I don't think production and shipment of shock sticks, and rather suspicious gear would go by unnoticed. Or maybe Amon is the majority shareholder in Cabbage Corp, which fuels his revolution through a revolutionary, cheaper car.
    Rebelliously delicious!

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Amon took out a firebender that could shoot lightning. Which is harder to dodge?
    Judging by what we saw of the metalbending police in S1E01 as compared to the way lightning works in Avatar, I'd say the metalbending whips.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-21 at 07:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Probably the metal benders, honestly. Firebending as most characters use it is not very flexible; if you can see or predict the line of attack quickly enough, you can defend against it. There's very little of the curved attacks and redirection you see in Katara's waterbending, Aang's airbending, or even Toph's Earthbending; Earth appears to be a 'slower' element for this kind of thing, but the ability is there. In Firebending, you only see that kind of control in the show benders who are doing fireworks tricks on streetcorners and the like; combat benders all launch attacks that follow only the same line as their physical movement, and it doesn't seem as possible to maintain control of the fire burst after you've launched it. Lightning has it even worse- all the lightning we've seen is fired in a straight and fairly narrow line, so you don't even have the option of the crescents/sprays of fire. (Well, controlled lightning, anyway- Zolt was kind of spraying all over the place when Amon was turning him off and he was freaking out. Good thing his hands were aimed up at nothing.)

Compared to that, the Metalbending cops have very fine and nearly instant control of their weapons. Less effective range, but within their personal zone of control they could be wildly unpredictable and massively difficult to defend against, because their actual strikes can come from almost anywhere.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, we need to come up with good names for Team Avatar 2.0.

The best one that I've seen so far is the "K-Team". I think it rolls off the tongue very well and also contains an excellent referential joke.

Comments/ideas?
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-21 at 08:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

I still stand by the Korralition (like a Coalition), but some people call them The Krew.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

don't they already have a team name in the arena?

am I missing something? it seems to me that a guy wielding electricity could do some nasty stuff to people wrapped in metal..unless they happen to shape said metal in a Faraday cage, they're gonna end up tazered

I have the distinct impression that so far, the benders other than Korra are...much less creative than the gaang... and that that's done on purpose-- be it to make chi blockers a more effective threat, be it to signify they're less capable or because of the constrictions of a much more restricted environment. Ba Sing Se had much more open space and low buildings.. republic city is more crowded..
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-04-21 at 09:03 PM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

14. - Top - End - #584
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post

am I missing something? it seems to me that a guy wielding electricity could do some nasty stuff to people wrapped in metal..unless they happen to shape said metal in a Faraday cage, they're gonna end up tazered

If they ground the metal part to the ground (which would limit movement), they should be safe-ish. If the ground is through their body however, then they're tazered.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    don't they already have a team name in the arena?
    We were talking about the fan name for their team, like how Aang and his folk were "The Gaang."

16. - Top - End - #586
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not entirely convinced that Amon is able to remove someone's ability.

Spoiler
    Show

What he's doing is an elaborate act, a magic trick if you will. This trick relies on several factors to work.
    1) Amon as a symbol
    - The Equalists have set themselves up as a force against benders with Amon as their mysterious and supposedly powerful leader figurehead. This provides him with a certain level of intimidation to those who hear about them.
    - Amon's speech in this episode also adds to this effect. He is the son of labour class parents who had a terrible fate. He is the chosen individual of the spirits and claims to possess an ability that makes him an incredibly imposing enemy to benders.

2) The Act
    - In order for Amon to "remove" someone's ability to bend he has to set the stage so to speak.

First, he needs to impose himself on everyone as a capable person, this is what his backstory is supposed to do. He needs to make himself less a man and more a symbols for everything the equalists stand for.

Second, he needs to establish himself as a powerful individual. This is why he kidnaps the leaders of the triple threat thriad. Having done this he then challenges their leader to a one on one fight for their freedom. This is after he has proclaimed himself to be the chosen one.

Last, he needs to physically dominate his opponent in a situation where they think they can't lose. His opponent probably thought he was a strong firebender so for him to be physically dominated by a slower moving opponent was a huge shock to him.
    Amon then utilizes a slower acting form of chi blocking to give the illusion of taking away his opponents bending.
    I would guess that this slow acting chi blocking technique has a shorter effect so their is a risk that the bender could retaliate.

- With all these conditions met, the stage is set for Amon to pull off his grand illusion.

- From Zuko and Aang in the original avatar we know that a bender can lose their ability to bend due to a crippling psychological trauma. Zuko could not bend after he left his grandfather, and Aang was unable to bend at several points because he did not have the will too. This is what Amon does to people.

Amon doesn't take away a bender's ability. I think that he tricks a bender into believing that he has.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced that Amon is able to remove someone's ability.
    I will counter that with Rule of Drama: Amon must be a credible threat, since he is either the BBEG or the Dragon, and as such he must be able to permanently remove Bending.

I do like the idea that, if he really has access to the spirit world, he knows that the way to dispose of the Avatar is to kill her in the Avatar state, and (again) Rule of Drama suggests to me it will be part of his plan.

Oh, my SO has suggested that Amon is also known as Bumi, the non-bender son of the previous Avatar... who actually is a bender: spirit bender, and has backstory-based hate for his siblings and has bloomed into hate of all things bending.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #588
    Bugbear in the Playground

So a theory about Amon, not really a theory, so much as some random facts....make of them what you will:
    Spoiler
    Show

Amon wears a mask to hide his face.
    Amon also has the ability to permanently take away bending.
    Interesting... We also know that ancient benders used to be able to bend pure energy and take away bending in this manner. However, this is apparently a lost skill and the previous avatar had to learn it from a very ancient Lion Turtle. So... the only one in the world who had the skill, as far as we know, was the avatar and he learned it from a very wise, powerful, and ancient spirit.

We know of another spirit that is ancient, wise, and powerful. A spirit that is nearly as old as the moon and ocean, a spirit that had been visited by the previous avatar, and is known for taking faces.

If Amon had met with such a spirit he may have learned the ancient art and almost definitely would have lost his face...
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Banned

So who think Tenzin will turn out to be evil? He has a goatee. It makes perfect sense. So much sense he has to be Amon.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    So a theory about Amon, not really a theory, so much as some random facts....make of them what you will:
    Spoiler
    Show

Interesting... We also know that ancient benders used to be able to bend pure energy and take away bending in this manner. However, this is apparently a lost skill and the previous avatar had to learn it from a very ancient Lion Turtle. So... the only one in the world who had the skill, as far as we know, was the avatar and he learned it from a very wise, powerful, and ancient spirit.

We know of another spirit that is ancient, wise, and powerful. A spirit that is nearly as old as the moon and ocean, a spirit that had been visited by the previous avatar, and is known for taking faces.

If Amon had met with such a spirit he may have learned the ancient art and almost definitely would have lost his face...
    I said the exact same thing a page or two back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only problem with that theory is that Amon still has eyes, and Koh steals entire faces, eyes included. Also, the lionturtle is an animal, not a spirit.

21. - Top - End - #591

A thing occurs to me, regarding spirits opposing the Avatar.

How many of you have read the "Azula Trilogy" of fanfics?

I don't expect a directly parallel situation, but the basic idea might be relevant.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only problem with that theory is that Amon still has eyes, and Koh steals entire faces, eyes included. Also, the lionturtle is an animal, not a spirit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is that necessarily a distinction? Let me put a few names to you, of spirits that certainly looked like animals: Tui, La, Hei Bai, Wan Shi Tong, that monkey-dude who gets annoyed with Aang...
    Last edited by Kd7sov; 2012-04-21 at 10:13 PM.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    If we take his backstory at.. er... face value, his burns could have been bad enough that he couldn't make expressions, and was thus able to milk Koh for all the spirit was worth.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Also, we need to come up with good names for Team Avatar 2.0.

The best one that I've seen so far is the "K-Team". I think it rolls off the tongue very well and also contains an excellent referential joke.

Comments/ideas?
    Nothing is going to be better than The Fire Ferrets. I'll be honestly surprised if someone comes up with one that's good and not cheesy.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-04-21 at 10:18 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

24. - Top - End - #594

What I found the most shocking about the episode was the factory workers lightning-bending. So apparently lightning bending has gotten either common or much easier to train. Definitely an interesting use of bending, I'd like to see in what other ways it's being used in this world's industrial age.
    Pun intended.
    Do you guys think Amon is even going to have a connection to the first series, just dramatically? I get the feeling it'll be either weak or not existent at all.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

25. - Top - End - #595
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    A thing occurs to me, regarding spirits opposing the Avatar.

How many of you have read the "Azula Trilogy" of fanfics?

I don't expect a directly parallel situation, but the basic idea might be relevant.
    Spirit that thrived on the 100-year war grants power to one likely to use it to restart war?

If Amon's not lying, then pretty much, yeah.

26. - Top - End - #596

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    Do you guys think Amon is even going to have a connection to the first series, just dramatically? I get the feeling it'll be either weak or not existent at all.
    Yes, he will have a strong connection. We have already seen that his minions use chi blocking and that he can bend energy to seal bending. Both of these were techniques that were established to rare, if not exclusive to a few character in the last series. This guarantees that he is either directly connected or closely connected i.e. disciple of x or enemy of disciple of x at the very least.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    If they ground the metal part to the ground (which would limit movement), they should be safe-ish. If the ground is through their body however, then they're tazered.
    Actually, I believe it's even less restrictive. So long as the metal keeps a direct path from the point of contact to the lowest point on the object the electricity will take the path of least resistance to reach the ground, which would be the metal.

If you wear plate armor and jump in the air you should be absolutely fine if struck by lightning just as if you were standing on the ground.

And since we've seen Toph move incredibly easily by surrounding herself in metal mobility should not be a problem. So yeah, if using real-world rules the metal bending cops should be able to crush the equalists as now displayed.

Of course, they don't have to use real-world rules, or the equalists can have some other tricks up there sleeve.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    What I found the most shocking about the episode was the factory workers lightning-bending. So apparently lightning bending has gotten either common or much easier to train. Definitely an interesting use of bending, I'd like to see in what other ways it's being used in this world's industrial age.
    Given how we have seen Metal bending implemented on a larger scale it seems like the logical way to go. A more formalized education system would be able to teach the basic tenants of the more specialized bending schools.
    Last edited by Veridis Quo; 2012-04-21 at 11:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Fire FerretxPolar-bear Dog.

Let the cuteness begin!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

30. - Top - End - #600
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Fire FerretxPolar-bear Dog.

Let the cuteness begin!
    What if the two of them have a baby, and they have a Fire-Polar-Ferret-Dog?