New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

Alright, so each character has effectively soloed a match. Now hopefully we'll see their teamwork against the Wolfbats.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Just wait until they start discussing matches that haven't happened yet and that we won't see.
    I felt like the "Fire Ferrets go up against their evil twins who suddenly appeared out of a mysterious portal" thing was very out of place. This is Avatar, not Dr. Mcninja.

Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

So, I think that this sort of goes in this thread but I'm not entirely sure... Can't think of anywhere else to put it.

You see, I recently discovered a Facebook page called "Sokka Of Dat Water Tribe," which among other things has been posting a particular image macro that I think deserves to be introduced to the wider Internet. I call it "Sokka Puns."

Here's the template:
    Spoiler
    Show

And here are some choice examples:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-05-06 at 04:11 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So you know how most of the elements have a Subschool: Firebending has lightning, Waterbending has healing/bloodbending, Earth has Metalbending, but Air lacks one.

Well, I think I figured out what Airbending's "Subschool" would be, and why it's never used: Breathbending.
    Think about it, if a waterbender can hold back water to create a bubble of air (Allowing people to walk underwater), then what if an Airbender did something similar. Bending air away from their opponent until they suffocate. heck, they could literally steal somebody's breath by pulling the air out of their lungs.

It's an effective, horrifying technique, and one that fits well within the confines of airbending. There is no defense against it besides either being an airbender yourself or being able to hold your breath longer than the Air bender can keep oxygen away from you.

It's also something that the peace-loving air nomads would never, ever do, and (Wild speculation here), can kind of account for the extreme pacifism of Airbender culture. This is something that an Airbender could conceivably stumble upon themselves, except that no Airbender in their right mind would think of it, because it's a technique with no real application besides killing somebody (I suppose you could suffocate them until they pass out, but unless you're very good at predicting how long somebody can last, it would be very easy to kill them without meaning to). What if the pacifism of Airbender culture was, at least in part, a way to stop themselves from becoming a race of breath-stealing assassins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

I think that would require a very powerful bender though, as bending ALL of the air away would either require something else to fill it in, or create a vacuum. What COULD be done though, would be that an Airbender could bend the air straight out of someone's lungs, just like how Katara and the old crazy lady were able to Bloodbend during the full moon.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but if they could do it, they'd probably need a power boost, just like waterbenders can only bloodbend in the full moon. I recall airbenders get stronger when it's windier, so they'd only be able to do it during really strong winds, in which case it would be easier to knock them unconscious (or worse) with an airbending slice. We know it's possible; Aang blew up a few sand ships with airbending.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Troll in the Playground

in theory an air bender should be able to create lightning.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Lightning really would have made more sense as an airbender's special thing than firebenders. I also would have liked to see Healing moved over to fire, because Waterbending seems a bit overloaded in terms of nice things, and it gives a balance to Firebending, yes Fire is a source of destruction, but it is also a force of life, fire cleanses.

I can understand why they did it the way they did for story purposes, but meh.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait....I thought energy bending WAS the subschool of airbending. Considering that air nomads were the most spiritual of the elemental nations and since all the masters had died, the lion turtle was the only person that knew of that ability and how to do it.

Is there any source that states that energy bending is avatar only? I couldn't find it on the Avatar wiki.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    Wait....I thought energy bending WAS the subschool of airbending. Considering that air nomads were the most spiritual of the elemental nations and since all the masters had died, the lion turtle was the only person that knew of that ability and how to do it.

Is there any source that states that energy bending is avatar only? I couldn't find it on the Avatar wiki.
    After Amon's rally, when Korra tells him about Amon Tenzin says only the Avatar can take someone's bending away.

Also the Lion Turtle says Energybending comes from a time before elemental bending. It's a sort of supreme skill above elemental bending, not a subschool of it.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #1390

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    After Amon's rally, when Korra tells him about Amon Tenzin says only the Avatar can take someone's bending away.

Also the Lion Turtle says Energybending comes from a time before elemental bending. It's a sort of supreme skill above elemental bending, not a subschool of it.
    Ah, I must have missed that part. I think I was eating when I watched that particular episode.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

clearly, though, Tenzin is wrong, unless Amon is AlSO the avatar. That being said, see my spoiler below.

this, though is an excellent point. Personally, I think the answer is that if there is any sort of subschool for airbending, it was lost when the air nomads were wiped out. Aang was too busy with being the avatar to bother developing new airbending techniques and Tenzin is far too rigid to do the kind of forward thinking that sort of research would require. IF a subschool is to be (re)discovered, I doubt it will happen before Tenzin's kids grow up, at the earliest.

on a tangental note, a prediction about who Amon is:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aang's other other child, the one who was not a bender. He had no elemental bending but has an affinity for energybending. He grew up jealous of his bending siblings, especially Tenzin. Somehow, he tricked Aang into teaching him enough of the energybending concepts that he figured the rest out on his own. That vision/flashback thing at the end of episode four is my primary evidence for it. The details as far as I know them support this theory pretty soundly.

pre-episode four, my thought was that he'd be revealed to be a grandchild of fire lord Ozai out for revenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Lightning really would have made more sense as an airbender's special thing than firebenders.
    I don't see how. We're not entirely sure how lightning is formed, but most theories involve particles of ice... so it probably has nothing to do with air.

Fire, on the other hand, is made of the same stuff lightning is: plasma. So grouping the two makes sense to me. And it works in a pseudoscience kind of way: firebenders moves energy from one place to another, taking heat from their bodies, which in turn comes from the sun or a comet or whatever, and sending it out of their bodies in the form of fire; lightningbending works by creating an imbalance of energy, causing it to flow from one place to another in the form of lightning, to restore the balance. It also works better thematically, since fire and earth are the two physically powerful forms of bending, while air and earth are more flexible.
    I also would have liked to see Healing moved over to fire, because Waterbending seems a bit overloaded in terms of nice things, and it gives a balance to Firebending, yes Fire is a source of destruction, but it is also a force of life, fire cleanses.

I can understand why they did it the way they did for story purposes, but meh.
    Well as I said, fire is more about direct power, water is more flexible. Plus, waterbending's strengths are countered by some seriously severe restrictions: 1.) While the Earth is mostly water, the part we live on isn't, and 2.) it draws strength from the moon, so it's weaker during the day and presumably doesn't work at all during a lunar eclipse (the more common kind).

And again, I think healing makes better sense with water; the body is mostly made of water. If it makes you feel better, look at it as another kind of bloodbending, so water gets one specialization and not two.
    He doesn't say that; he says only the Avatar has ever demonstrated such an ability.
    Last edited by JCarter426; 2012-05-06 at 07:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1393

RedKnightGirl

I always thought airbenders don't have a subschool because airbending is already cool enough. Awwwww yeeaaah.

14. - Top - End - #1394

I've always considered Air's subschool to be soundbending. All sound really is is tiny pressure waves of air. An airbender with good control should be able to create specific sounds using their bending, or at least augment or decrease exisiting sounds.

In fact, in The Firebending Masters, when Aang and Zuko are stuck in the goop after trying to steal the egg-thing, Aang shouts, "Help!" rather loudly. It could just be a comic exaggeration, especially since his face kind of contorts cartoonishly at that moment, but it could have been a form of soundbending.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

15. - Top - End - #1395

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    I've always considered Air's subschool to be soundbending. All sound really is is tiny pressure waves of air. An airbender with good control should be able to create specific sounds using their bending, or at least augment or decrease exisiting sounds.
    I agree. I've actually used this idea in a couple things, one in which sirens were basically airbenders.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
    I don't see how. We're not entirely sure how lightning is formed, but most theories involve particles of ice... so it probably has nothing to do with air.
    it's static electricity on a grand scale. an air bender could, in theory, create the necessary currents.

on another note. non avatars can spirit bend. the lion turlte could, and he says "we", telling us there are others.
    amon probably is too, but ill say that skepticism is warranted.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post

In fact, in The Firebending Masters, when Aang and Zuko are stuck in the goop after trying to steal the egg-thing, Aang shouts, "Help!" rather loudly. It could just be a comic exaggeration, especially since his face kind of contorts cartoonishly at that moment, but it could have been a form of soundbending.
    Well in that case shouldn't Earthbenders and Waterbenders get sound bending as well? I mean, they could manipulate vibrations in their element and then release that into the air. And if they just needed to transfer sound directly through earth/water they'd be a fair amount better at it than air benders.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1398

it's static electricity on a grand scale. an air bender could, in theory, create the necessary currents.
    Yes, but static electricity isn't caused by moving air around. It's caused by moving electrons around. Airbending can't do that. There are a number of things that can do that, but I don't believe wind is one of them. Fire actually is one; particularly thick ash clouds can cause lightning... but that's not how lightningbending is portrayed in the series, so never mind that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Well in that case shouldn't Earthbenders and Waterbenders get sound bending as well? I mean, they could manipulate vibrations in their element and then release that into the air. And if they just needed to transfer sound directly through earth/water they'd be a fair amount better at it than air benders.
    Eh that's a good point. However, seismic sense should also work with air and water, in theory. So I guess my answer is... yes, they probably could do that, but it's not as easy with those particular elements. Earth is the element of stability, so detecting changes in earth is easier than detecting it in water or air, which are more flexible; likewise, sound passes more easily through air than water or earth, so airbending has a natural affinity with it.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
    Yes, but static electricity isn't caused by moving air around. It's caused by moving electrons around. Airbending can't do that. There are a number of things that can do that, but I don't believe wind is one of them. Fire actually is one; particularly thick ash clouds can cause lightning... but that's not how lightningbending is portrayed in the series, so never mind that.
    the electrons in the cloud are moved by friction caused by air currents.
    come on, work with me here!
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

20. - Top - End - #1400

the electrons in the cloud are moved by friction caused by air currents.
    come on, work with me here!
    Bah, that's not- bah!

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Eh that's a good point. However, seismic sense should also work with air and water, in theory. So I guess my answer is... yes, they probably could do that, but it's not as easy with those particular elements. Earth is the element of stability, so detecting changes in earth is easier than detecting it in water or air, which are more flexible; likewise, sound passes more easily through air than water or earth, so airbending has a natural affinity with it.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ettin in the Playground

Tenzin might not be the final authority on this. there may be things he just doesn't know/wasn't told.
    Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    clearly, though, Tenzin is wrong, unless Amon is AlSO the avatar. That being said, see my spoiler below.
    on the other hand, we've been over this.
    Amon is never shown energybending. all we see him do is using chi-blocking techniques.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Tenzin might not be the final authority on this. there may be things he just doesn't know/wasn't told.
    As far as I know, the only living record of Energybending in Korra's time is Aang taking Ozai's bending away. The only person they know of who could Energybend was the Avatar, but that does not mean that only the Avatar can energybend.

on the other hand, we've been over this.
    Amon is never shown energybending. all we see him do is using chi-blocking techniques.
    Point of order: We have seen Amon doing something that took people's bending away. It may be some sort of Energybending without the light show or it may be super chi-blocking. It's not exactly like the Energybending Aang did (No light show), but it's similar (he touches in the same places) and seems to have the same effect (no more bending).

It's possible we HAVE seen Amon energybending. It's also possible we've seen him do something that looks like energybending but isn't. I wouldn't go out there and say we've "Only seen him use chi-blocking techniques".
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-05-06 at 08:50 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

What if we treat chi-blocking like bending.

Earthbending:Metalbending(badgermoles)
    Waterbending:Bloodbending/Healing
    Airbending:????(Skybison)
    Firebending:Lightning(Dragons)
    Chi-blocking:Energy Bending(Spirits/other animals such as the Lionturtle)

In the case of the above, all bending types come from their original animal. So, if energybending was taught to humans originally, it could have become weaker and watered down over time? Meaning that Amnon went back and learned it from the originals, rather than just the Chi-Blocking.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    As I said earlier, I'm perfectly happy with how it's depicted in the show, along with its design compromises and inaccuracies.

It's when people start extrapolating and drawing incorrect conclusions due to not realising that these design flaws/differences are there, that I have issue with*.

*Well, not until they start them in capability arguments over the internet.
    From my perspective its the persp. There aren't because the show is in no way required to obey anything from our reality. While clearly elements are borrowed from here you cannot use that to call anything in-universe innaccurate.

I mean heck right off the bat we can throw 3000 years of Chinese tradition out the door with a simple problem... there are only four elements.

So to return to topic (again) while armor can stop someone from tapping pressure points all you want this means precisely and exactly squat when it comes to chi-blocking. Doesn't mean armor is meaningless, but barring clear failure it remains an open question.

My problem is you have tried to use IRL logic to write the show before its been established. As we still have a good chance that for example an Equalist will fight a metalbender cop... doesn't seem wise in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    So you know how most of the elements have a Subschool: Firebending has lightning, Waterbending has healing/bloodbending, Earth has Metalbending, but Air lacks one.

Well, I think I figured out what Airbending's "Subschool" would be, and why it's never used: Breathbending.
    Not sure that's distinct enough, air in your lungs is still air after all. If one can create a sufficiently low pressure area you'd choke people automatically. Suck air out the lungs and all.

Interesting idea though.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post

Not sure that's distinct enough, air in your lungs is still air after all. If one can create a sufficiently low pressure area you'd choke people automatically. Suck air out the lungs and all.

Interesting idea though.
    Well Metalbending and Bloodbending work under similar principles. Metalbenders bend the impurities in metal, and Bloodbending bends the water in a human (or any) body.

Speaking of Metalbending, Toph was able to figure out metalbending because of her Tremorsense trick. Does that mean that all Metalbenders have Tremorsense?

Because if so I could imagine Metalbending cops using smoke grenades or dust clouds during raids, then using their tremorsense to locate and incapacitate targets.

Also, have we seen Chi-Blockers going up against anybody wearing proper armor? We saw Tai Li take out the Terra Team and Azula, but IIRC their armor ended at the torso, and she was able to target their relatively unarmored limbs.

The Chi-Blockers tried to take down Korra in her taskforce armor, but I don't think they ever actually landed a blow.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-05-06 at 09:25 PM.
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #1406

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Well Metalbending and Bloodbending work under similar principles. Metalbenders bend the impurities in metal, and Bloodbending bends the water in a human (or any) body.
    Metalbending isn't really the proper specialization though, it's seismic sense. And healing is significantly different. But of course it's still going to be earthbending or waterbending.
    Speaking of Metalbending, Toph was able to figure out metalbending because of her Tremorsense trick. Does that mean that all Metalbenders have Tremorsense?

Because if so I could imagine Metalbending cops using smoke grenades or dust clouds during raids, then using their tremorsense to locate and incapacitate targets.
    Possibly. She teaches it to Aang, though we never see him metalbend.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ogre in the Playground

Air gets Super speed Aang shows it off fairly frequently...
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Air gets Super speed Aang shows it off fairly frequently...
    Firebenders can create explosive forces to speed them along too.

Waterbenders can do the same thing airbenders can if they're in water (admittedly, that's more limited).

Toph could create a rolling hill.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Troll in the Playground

the fact that chi-blockers use smoke as a standard tactic makes me think metalcops dont necessarily have tremorsense. some of them probably do though.

like running the 4 minute mile, metal bending may have simply been a matter of no one knowing they could.
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-05-06 at 10:26 PM.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Firebenders can create explosive forces to speed them along too.

Waterbenders can do the same thing airbenders can if they're in water (admittedly, that's more limited).

Toph could create a rolling hill.
    Aang runs up walls and over water from dry land, among other things, the only time we see firebending and extreme speed is during Sozin's comet, when Ozai jetpacks around with his fists...
    Spoiler
    Show