New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Just out of curiosity, for future class competitions, can you adapt Forgotten Realms-specific Substitution levels to other settings by changing which gods they use?

I'm just asking because I just thought about how cool some of them are, and how many of them could easily be adapted for other settings.
    While technically allowed, I would suspect such adaptations might get hit with Elegance penalties from several of the judges.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Fixing new page bug.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

3. - Top - End - #63

NecromancerGuy

How goes the process, folks?

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I have all the levels, feats, skills etc all decided. All I need to do is write it up. I also need to write up a background.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've done all the number-crunching for both entries, and mostly written up one. I had hoped to get least one entry finished by now, but I got drawn into the fighter vs swordsage contest
    DM: You exit the temple. Cleric, roll a knowledge(religion) check...
    Cleric: *passes* "Ah yes, now I recognise it, it was a temple to the god of traps!"
    Thief: *punches Cleric*

Iron Chef Contest Gallery:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IC XVII: Snow (Silver)
    IC XX: Sir Karel (Bronze)
    IC XXXII: 'Aundair' Yannedge-Owens (Gold)
    IC XXXII: Sir Arminel Rayne (Bronze)
    IC XXXIX: Hardy (Bronze)

6. - Top - End - #66

NecromancerGuy

Just a few more days now, folks.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

It's been strangely quiet this challenge. Think everyone's too deep into their rulebooks to comment? Heh.

I had to study for my silly Advanced Stochastic Processes qualification, so I'm out this round. Still very firmly in the viewer's seat, though.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Betcha we still get a dozen entries or more.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe, maybe not. It is somewhat of a hard PrC to optimise to though. I wouldn't be surprised if many people simply use it as a "rogue gish" more than anything else.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have a build I'm reasonably happy with. I statted it up last week, but I've been finishing up my semester and haven't had time to write a decent backstory. Should be able to finish that this weekend, and turn it in before the deadline.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

11. - Top - End - #71

I think Sgt. Cookie is right in the sense that you start working with it and from a mechanical standpoint you start asking... why does this thing exist? Why not be a Rogue 13/Cleric 7 and be more powerful? I think that's something that should be taken into consideration as we approach the judging of this round.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I, for one, finally came up with my concept today. This was a beast, and well worthy of an Iron Chef competition. Despite the challenges of working with this ingredient, I finally worked out a (what I think is) decent build and theme for the backstory. We will see, I guess.

Can we confirm that only one judge has posted judging criteria? I'm reviewing the thread, and one Z3ro has posted. gbprime and vilpich have also volunteered, unless their criteria is posted in other threads (and if so, linky linky) please post again? I need to do all I can to improve after my mediocre performance last time.

13. - Top - End - #73

Post Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXXII

Originality: High scores here will be awarded to interesting class/ingredient combinations or interesting ways of combining more obvious ones. I won't penalize you if your build is similar to another person's unless said build isn't...original. Bonus points for neat combos and tricks, and penalties if you use blatantly obvious and well known tricks (in which case they're hardly tricks anymore, anyways).

Power: Basically, I won't give a good score here unless the power level remains at approximately mid tier 4 or higher through all 20 levels. It's great if he's semi divine at 20th level, but pretty much useless if he already died at 2nd. The most important thing for me is just keeping the power constant. The best scores will go to people whose power is based off of the secret ingredient, not just their base class.

I have nothing to add to Z3ro's criteria for elegance and use of the secret ingredient. Just know I think I'm going to be harsh on elegance, and if something about it doesn't feel right thematically or mechanically, I will deduct points.

Elegance: The toughest category to judge and assess. Dipping will be penalized, but dips that make thematic sense (ranger dipping barbarian) will be penalized less than dips that do not (rogue dipping paladin). More importantly, the build should make sense at all levels, 1-20. Abilities that are useless at the level they are taken, but come on line later, will be penalized. Maintaining flavor and flow through the build will be rewarded, while taking out of place levels/abilities will be penalized. This is also the category that will see deductions for questionable use of rules/illegal builds. Expect points lost if you utilize something that most DMs would rule against.

Use of the Secret Ingredient: In the effort of clarity, I'm going to make this category a little simpler. Did you take all 10 levels? How many of the abilities granted did you use, and how essential are they to your build? Would your build be better off achieving its goal with another class, rather than the secret ingredient (using this ingredient for example, would your sneaky thief build be better off as 20 levels of rogue)?
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

It might also be quiet because of the timing. This is finals week for a lot of graduate schools in the United States, and maybe for most colleges as well. That's probably a lot of our usual contestants who are under stress right now!

On another note, I haven't been doing IC for ages because I've been super busy with work for the past 6 months...and now I just got a promotion! *happy dance*
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

I just couldn't get the first two concepts I had to work properly, and I've been crazy-busy both with work and social life, so unlikely I'll get an entry in.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a great entry, but it keeps falling apart around level 15... I just can't seem to quite pull it together.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

While I've been too busy recently to compete this time, I'd be happy to be a judge this round.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriah View Post
    I have a great entry, but it keeps falling apart around level 15... I just can't seem to quite pull it together.
    It's no good, I can't maneuver!
    Stay on target.
    We're too close!
    Stay on target!
    Loosen up! [boom]
    Gold Five to Red leader, lost Tiree, lost Dutch.
    I copy, Gold Leader.
    It came from... Iron Chef!

[Yes, it's that kind of day at work today. ]
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    finals week for a lot of graduate schools in the United States
    This. This is why I got my entry in early and havent been really talkative.

Grats on the promotion, btw

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have been too busy preparing and writing up both builds only the backstories to finish now, which I probably shouldn't have left until last. How many points do you think I'll lose if I don't finish one of them?
    DM: You exit the temple. Cleric, roll a knowledge(religion) check...
    Cleric: *passes* "Ah yes, now I recognise it, it was a temple to the god of traps!"
    Thief: *punches Cleric*

Iron Chef Contest Gallery:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IC XVII: Snow (Silver)
    IC XX: Sir Karel (Bronze)
    IC XXXII: 'Aundair' Yannedge-Owens (Gold)
    IC XXXII: Sir Arminel Rayne (Bronze)
    IC XXXIX: Hardy (Bronze)

21. - Top - End - #81

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xodion View Post
    I have been too busy preparing and writing up both builds only the backstories to finish now, which I probably shouldn't have left until last. How many points do you think I'll lose if I don't finish one of them?
    I would suspect (without making this a decree or recommendation to the judges of any sort) it would be enough of a deduction to make the fully finished build the only one likely to have a chance to win, place, or show.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

NecromancerGuy

Only 4 entries so far, with a little over 11 hours to go. Good luck, folks.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Only 4 entries so far...
    May be slim pickings this round. I stopped my building when I couldn't get my pony to do any tricks beside the one. Leaving for vacation on Thursday, but may be able to sneak in some judging if the field of entries is small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

In my typical IC fashion, didn't get around to making a build. BUT. Gonna make this my 4th judging (IC 5, 13, 16, 32? Definitely no pattern in that, sounds like something a football quarterback would say, though.), since we need to bring back a healthy number of judges providing critique and making contestants cringe in anticipation. Looking at my last guidelines, I think I'll be sticking to 'em.

My Judging Guidelines:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: What sets you apart from the pack? Is this character cookie-cuttered from a guide/based off of legend or comic book hero? While homages are great and all, making your own super hero with his own back story is better than rehashing Batman/Kickass.

Speaking of story, having a story helps give your build a cohesiveness that a simple build may not otherwise convey. It only helps your score, though excessive size of story or lack there-of will not penalize your score. Not all of us are the next great fantasy writer, after all.

A final note is using obscure sources isn't necessarily a boost to originality. i.e. Incarnum and Binding aren't instant Originality points.

Power: How does your character compare to what his role would suggest he be able to do? If he's supposed to be a tank, how well does he soak up damage and keep threats on himself? If he's a support character, how well does he boost his friends so they can trounce the opposition and/or solve situations? D&D is largely combat-based but that doesn't mean that you'll do combat all the time, so having some way to contribute when you're not smashing faces is also a measure of staying power to the campaign in general.

Notes and tactics on your capabilities is a plus here, as, while I'm well versed in much of the game system, I can't claim to be competent in every aspect and I'm only human. If you have a unique trick that may not be apparent, point it out!

Elegance: How well does the character work mechanically? Does it flow reasonably with class and feat choices?

Cherry picking from classes is frowned on, though if you need such to get into a PRC, that's not the same. Flaws and LA buyoff aren't elegant, though mentioning them as an option is perfectly appropriate. Having LA and/or racial HD isn't an automatic Elegance hit, though it may take away from other categories if taken unwisely. Taking material from multiple settings isn't an Elegance hit, as that's merely a matter of appropriate fluff to mesh things together. I'm sort of a stickler for multiclass penalties, so having them does not make for an elegant character. Citing your sources makes this easier to adjudicate and helps in the Elegance category as well.

Final Note: If your build turns out to be illegal for some reason, you'll take a hit, but I'll judge it on the merits of what still works. Your scores won't automatically be 0'd because you forgot that you don't have Heavy Armor Proficiency to qualify for a PRC.

Use of Secret Ingredient: Is the SI vital to the build or would it have been better off with something else? Is the character built with the PRC in mind or is it tacked on to qualify to enter? How well do you use the features of the PRC?

MAJOR NOTE: Having all levels of the SI does not mean you used it well. It typically helps but not having all levels is not an automatic reduction in UoSI.

So *puts on his long dusty judging hat and cleans his judging monocle* bring on your dishes, and I will give my skewed opinion on whether you used too much salt!
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2012-04-29 at 08:30 AM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

I've got a build in mind, I have the levels and feats and tactics worked out and a story in mind, but I haven't even begun writing it up. Work conference took me out of the loop for a while, unfortunately. If by some miracle I get enough time to put it together today, I'll still try to submit. However, there's a much better chance I won't have an entry this round.

I will try to judge if I can't submit, though!
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

And, submitted.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    5, 13, 16, 32? Definitely no pattern in that
    y = 3 x^3 + -20.5 x^2 + 48.5x + -26

Your next contest will be number 79

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    y = 3 x^3 + -20.5 x^2 + 48.5x + -26

Your next contest will be number 79
    Number of data = Degrees of Freedom does not a significant fit make

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnno View Post
    Number of data = Degrees of Freedom does not a significant fit make
    Oh look! You speak math! I am found out

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

And submitted, good Chairman. I had a new thought today which I had to incorporate, which definitely caused me to re-work a few things.