New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Elemental's Excitingly Excellent Random Banter: No.CLXXVII

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Signs signs everywhere a sign, blocking scenary breaking my mind, do this don't do that can't you read the siiiign~
    Signs, signs, everywhere, and they don't let cars crash. Signs, signs, everywhere, a few of them are a bit rash.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Signs, signs, everywhere, and they don't let cars crash. Signs, signs, everywhere, a few of them are a bit rash.
    My apologies...
    But the second line, which should be on a different line, doesn't fit in with the rhythm of your couplet.

My suggestion is:
    Signs, signs, everywhere, and they don't let cars crash,
    Signs, signs, everywhere, some of them are quite rash.

It still doesn't quite fit though...
    Again, I apologise. I had to learn poetry numerous times during school and I'm a musician.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Oh, so it's crap and tears mixed together?
    Don't say anything if you have nothing nice to say. Or at least articulate yourself in a way that doesn't come off like a 12 year old. I know that you're smarter than that Choff. Adding those silly little smilies doesn't make what you said cute, it's just annoying. Anyway, I wasn't addressing you anyway, I was addressing DP.

But back to the music. Scene (or whatever word of choice for crybaby rock) is nothing remotely close to Hardcore and if you can't make that distinction you are a fool or don't listen to either genre and have no right to be making any comments to the contrary. Plus, I know for a fact that you like videogame music, so I have no clue what in the name of the Baator you're talking about. Did you even listen to the music? It's all original composition and has nothing to do with remixing of old tunes.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-05-15 at 10:24 AM.
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

4. - Top - End - #604

Guys.

Spoiler
    Show

This is so unfair.

How can this happen to me.

I mean, NOT happen to me.

Why does it have to be in Chicago.

And why does it have to be in September.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

5. - Top - End - #605

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Guys.

Spoiler
    Show

This is so unfair.

*looks over list*

Oh hey, Dropkick Murphys! They're quite popular here in the Boston area. At prom in high school we even managed to get a mosh pit going for one of their songs.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

6. - Top - End - #606

Yeah, I'm still disappointed that I couldn't see the Dropkick Murphy's last time they were in Toronto: I had a performance of a play I was in the same evening.

However, Bad Religion is playing NXNE, and I'd bet they're doing the free concert at Yonge-Dundas Square, which is always fun. Last year they had the Descendents, the year before that Iggy Pop, and they're the only big-enough punk band to do that stage, which seems to be the tradition nowadays...

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    I'm sure you'll be fine.
    I can't speak any of it either, and it's the language of most of my ancestors.
    The rest spoke Cornish, I presume.
    And others...
    Let's just say that it's complicated and that while the majority of Old English literature and writing is written in l. West Saxon, there's more than enough writing and frgments to porve that each kingdom had its own written dialect.
    Also, kennings.
    KENNINGS!
    A kenning, for those of you who don't know (basically: everyone) is basically a one-word metaphor. The easy ones are things like 'whale-road' meaning 'the sea'.
    The problem is that some of these kennings only exist once. And from there arises contention and a great deal of unpacking the word.
    Take "seglrode" (Exodus, l. 83), literally translated it's 'sail rod'. Within the context of the poem it's a cloud/pillar of fire/angel/guide. THEN you have the 'sail' being part of the overall imagery of travel/sailing etc. and THEN you have the fact that rod (OE for 'rood' i.e. Cross) is part of that.
    AND THEN you realise that you've written several pages on this one word.

That's Old English poetry for you.

Remember, just take a deep breath, and trust in the laser pigeons.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Here, this The Oatmeal comic should cool you down. And also make you laugh and then be sad because of how terrible a person Edison is.
    I already knew Tesla was amazing, but not how amazing. And Edison really was a terrible person. Goddamnit LaZa.

Gōdne morgen Curly! Hū gǣþ?
    Don't you mock me with your Old English prose or I might not translate anything for you!
    I did pretty well though, got a question on the portrayal of saints in Old English which was fun. Think I borked up one of the others, but here's hoping it's not too bad. Ran out of time when writing up my last couple of paragraphs. :smallgrimace:

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    I thought Old English was hard.
    It's very much like German, but I just know I'd get the pronunciation wrong.
    However, don't assume I know German because I haven't studied it for six years and I'm extremely rusty at it and didn't learn very much because I was thirteen at the time.
    If you know German you're better off because well, Old English is a Germanic language and the inflection system and some of the vocabulary is likely pretty similar.

TWO DOWN, FIVE TO GO!
    (Technically it's four to go, but one of the papers would be five hours long if they didn't split it in two)
    The next three days are all Middle English, this can only be good. Incest will be talked about. And dream poetry. Maybe romances - this is tricky because I technically did an entire paper on Medieval and Renaissance Romance, but I should be okay as long as I avoid talking about what I did in that paper.
    Fun.
    But there is goodness coming, and if I'm lucky I can spend an entire two hour long paper discussing incest! No one understands why I like discussing incest.

ION:
    Have you ever been in that situation where you lost your keys and your mobile phone?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

@Gwynn: Man. Were that not in September I could probably go to that. And damn it's cheap. Dropkick Murphy's cool and all, but I'd more excited to see the Offspring, Alkaline Tro, and NOFX.

Poor Mutant. Living in Chicago and hating punk. He doesn't know what he's missing.

9. - Top - End - #609

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Let's just say that it's complicated and that while the majority of Old English literature and writing is written in l. West Saxon, there's more than enough writing and frgments to porve that each kingdom had its own written dialect.
    Also, kennings.
    KENNINGS!
    A kenning, for those of you who don't know (basically: everyone) is basically a one-word metaphor. The easy ones are things like 'whale-road' meaning 'the sea'.
    The problem is that some of these kennings only exist once. And from there arises contention and a great deal of unpacking the word.
    Take "seglrode" (Exodus, l. 83), literally translated it's 'sail rod'. Within the context of the poem it's a cloud/pillar of fire/angel/guide. THEN you have the 'sail' being part of the overall imagery of travel/sailing etc. and THEN you have the fact that rod (OE for 'rood' i.e. Cross) is part of that.
    AND THEN you realise that you've written several pages on this one word.

That's Old English poetry for you.
    Ouch. I can sympathize a bit, since I've often had to translate English into Polish on the fly for relatives who visit. Translation is tough work, especially when certain words just don't work. The first time I had to explain the word "stuff" to Poles was quite a challenge.

Don't you mock me with your Old English prose or I might not translate anything for you!
    Oh? My apologies then, in a different dead language. One that I'm more familiar with.

Miserere mei CurlyKitGirl secundum magnam misericordiam tuam. Tibi soli peccavi et malum coram te feci. Ecce enim veritatem dilexisti incerta et occulta sapientiae tuae manifestasti mihi. Benigne fac CurlyKitGirl in bona voluntate tua Dragonprime.

If you somehow don't know where I got all that from, I'll be sorely disappointed.

I did pretty well though, got a question on the portrayal of saints in Old English which was fun. Think I borked up one of the others, but here's hoping it's not too bad. Ran out of time when writing up my last couple of paragraphs. :smallgrimace:
    Ahhh, exams. It's nice to have them be done.

*sits back in his beach chair and sips from a drink with an umbrella in it*

If you know German you're better off because well, Old English is a Germanic language and the inflection system and some of the vocabulary is likely pretty similar.
    Ja. Ich gelernt Deutsch für ein Jahr. It does actually make Old English a tad bit more comprehensible when you look at it. Not much though.

TWO DOWN, FIVE TO GO!
    (Technically it's four to go, but one of the papers would be five hours long if they didn't split it in two)
    The next three days are all Middle English, this can only be good. Incest will be talked about. And dream poetry. Maybe romances - this is tricky because I technically did an entire paper on Medieval and Renaissance Romance, but I should be okay as long as I avoid talking about what I did in that paper.
    Fun.
    But there is goodness coming, and if I'm lucky I can spend an entire two hour long paper discussing incest! No one understands why I like discussing incest.
    So much incest...
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2012-05-15 at 04:18 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Here, this The Oatmeal comic should cool you down. And also make you laugh and then be sad because of how terrible a person Edison is.
    Heh, although I must note that it heavily downplays Edison's role in the development of the light bulb, as no one before him had created a light bulb that lasted for more than a few seconds (or possibly minutes, I can't really remember).

It's pretty bad at making a distinction between invention/discovery and further development/study as a whole. Sure, it attacks some common misconceptions, but it doesn't actually try to set them straight.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

11. - Top - End - #611
    Colossus in the Playground

I already knew Tesla was amazing, but not how amazing. And Edison really was a terrible person. Goddamnit LaZa.
    Sorry Curly

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Heh, although I must note that it heavily downplays Edison's role in the development of the light bulb, as no one before him had created a light bulb that lasted for more than a few seconds (or possibly minutes, I can't really remember).

It's pretty bad at making a distinction between invention/discovery and further development/study as a whole. Sure, it attacks some common misconceptions, but it doesn't actually try to set them straight.
    Well, Oatmeal is a primarly comedy sight, so glossing over points is understandable.

They also left out that Tesla is afraid of balls, for instance.

ION: I got a job interview this thursday for an overnight, full time position at Walmart! Wish me luck everybody!

12. - Top - End - #612

ION: I got a job interview this thursday for an overnight, full time position at Walmart! Wish me luck everybody!
    Good luck! Make sure to pass any drug tests they give you!

edit: Wow, three out of four grades are already in. Hooray!
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2012-05-15 at 03:00 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Good luck. I've heard... stuff about the working conditions at Walmart (the labour unions pretty much drove them out of here with torches and pitchforks when they were trying to establish themselves here in Sweden a few years back), but I suppose things don't have to be bad. Also, employment is better than no employment in most situations.

Show

14. - Top - End - #614
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just discovered this wonderful little game and thougt I should share it with you: ChatNoir
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

15. - Top - End - #615

Good luck! Make sure to pass any drug tests they give you!

edit: Wow, three out of four grades are already in. Hooray!
    Thanks, and don't worry, I'll be fine. I don't even eat Poppyseed muffins

Good luck. I've heard... stuff about the working conditions at Walmart (the labour unions pretty much drove them out of here with torches and pitchforks when they were trying to establish themselves here in Sweden a few years back), but I suppose things don't have to be bad. Also, employment is better than no employment in most situations.
    Yha, I've heard as such as well, but considering we live in a small town and this is our only Walmart, and I get paid 10 dollars an hour for a 10 to 7 job thats prooobably going to be monday to friday, I think its worth it

16. - Top - End - #616

Thanks, and don't worry, I'll be fine. I don't even eat Poppyseed muffins
    Awwww man, now I have a craving for poppy seed bagels. I love those things.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

17. - Top - End - #617

Mr Hiram Stevens Maxim would like to argue this point, strenuously.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, not my preferred style of music, but on the same subject:...

Mr Hiram Stevens Maxim would like to argue this point, strenuously.
    Joseph Swan would also like some consideration, since he knew how to get there but was waiting on decent vacuum pumps before he could actually make his own designs practical.
    Last edited by Mercenary Pen; 2012-05-15 at 03:44 PM.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Ja. Ich gelernt Deutsch für ein Jahr. It does actually make Old English a tad bit more comprehensible when you look at it. Not much though.
    Gelernt doesn't stand on it's own, IIRC. You need "Ich habe gelernt", and gelernt needs to go at the end of the sentence, thusly: "Ich habe Deutsch für ein Jahr gelernt."
    However, I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the appropriate tense anyway. I suspect what you really want is "Ich lernte Deutsch für ein Jahr".

They also left out that Tesla is afraid of balls, for instance.
    You also appear to be having some tense issues there...
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

20. - Top - End - #620

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Gelernt doesn't stand on it's own, IIRC. You need "Ich habe gelernt", and gelernt needs to go at the end of the sentence, thusly: "Ich habe Deutsch für ein Jahr gelernt."
    However, I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the appropriate tense anyway. I suspect what you really want is "Ich lernte Deutsch für ein Jahr".

I'm not surprised. I wasn't very good at German when I learned it for one year, and that was a good six years ago.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's not like it even matters anymore. *is shot*

22. - Top - End - #622

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    It's not like it even matters anymore. *is shot*
    No, electrocuted. That's how Tesla would want it.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No, electrocuted. That's how Tesla would want it.
    Nah. He wouldn't do anything. He'd let me run all over him. Then maybe take me to the Supreme Court and die. That's what I've gotten out of that comic.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah. He wouldn't do anything. He'd let me run all over him. Then maybe take me to the Supreme Court and die. That's what I've gotten out of that comic.
    You are forgetting Tesla now has an army ready for deployment, each soldier armed with TeslaGuns and a TeslaTank and infinite energy derived from ionosphere radiation.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Don't say anything if you have nothing nice to say. Or at least articulate yourself in a way that doesn't come off like a 12 year old. I know that you're smarter than that Choff. Adding those silly little smilies doesn't make what you said cute, it's just annoying. Anyway, I wasn't addressing you anyway, I was addressing DP.
    Yeah, twelve was only two years ago for me. And a foot in height. But saying that I'm smart is a mistake. And if it's a music discussion, I'm gonna walk in and say what I think. ESPECIALLY if I think it's terrible and should stay in the shame closet of whoever came up with it.

Also, you said "anyway" twice there.
    But back to the music. Scene (or whatever word of choice for crybaby rock) is nothing remotely close to Hardcore and if you can't make that distinction you are a fool or don't listen to either genre and have no right to be making any comments to the contrary. Plus, I know for a fact that you like videogame music, so I have no clue what in the name of the Baator you're talking about. Did you even listen to the music? It's all original composition and has nothing to do with remixing of old tunes.
    Yeah, Google'd Nintendocore and I got badness. Only halfway decent thing found in a half hour was Horse the Band. And they're just screamo with some good 8bit riffs thrown in. If half of it was anywhere close to this, (as an example), I guess I would tolerate it as a thing that has the basic right to exist. But from what I saw and heard, the vast majority of it is terrible. I don't like terrible, and encourage others to do the same. (I shot the DuckHunt Dog is an awesome name, I give you that.)
    Guys.

Spoiler
    Show

This is so unfair.

@Gwynn: Man. Were that not in September I could probably go to that. And damn it's cheap. Dropkick Murphy's cool and all, but I'd more excited to see the Offspring, Alkaline Tro, and NOFX.

Poor Mutant. Living in Chicago and hating punk. He doesn't know what he's missing.
    Ok, I wanna go just to rub it in you guys' faces now. But Dropkick is pretty great. I mean, I actually enjoy listening to it, and Departed was an awesome movie.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-05-15 at 05:40 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

26. - Top - End - #626

Dead or not, I'm pretty sure he still is afraid of balls.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

If you put the prefix "ge-" in front of a verb, it goes to the end of the sentence, yes. And yes, I thing the first sentence translates (with some liberties taken from my side) to something more along the lines of "I have learned enough German to last me one year"

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    You are forgetting Tesla now has an army ready for deployment, each soldier armed with TeslaGuns and a TeslaTank and infinite energy derived from ionosphere radiation.
    Good thing we have lasers, or do we? Well, at least we have the Chronosphere so that we can go back in time and kill Tesla. No wait, we already did that with Hitler. And then our chief scientist got killed the same way, although we still managed to invent the Chronosphere.

Man, Red Alert has grown into such a mess of timelines...

Show

28. - Top - End - #628

Good thing we have lasers, or do we? Well, at least we have the Chronosphere so that we can go back in time and kill Tesla. No wait, we already did that with Hitler. And then our chief scientist got killed the same way, although we still managed to invent the Chronosphere.

I've heard Red Alert is awesome. I...take it this is correct, dear Teddy?

Also, you're in luck. Slave Driver Zodi may have a job

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe timeline is a misleading term in Red Alert.

I've heard Red Alert is awesome. I...take it this is correct, dear Teddy?

Also, you're in luck. Slave Driver Zodi may have a job
    So slave driving was only part time?
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-05-15 at 07:34 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Yeah, twelve was only two years ago for me. And a foot in height. But saying that I'm smart is a mistake. And if it's a music discussion, I'm gonna walk in and say what I think. ESPECIALLY if I think it's terrible and should stay in the shame closet of whoever came up with it.
    Remind me to get on you case about Swedish Power Metal next time we're on AIM.

Also, you said "anyway" twice there.
    Which means you should have said "Anyway, you said "anyway" twice there."
    Yeah, Google'd Nintendocore and I got badness. Only halfway decent thing found in a half hour was Horse the Band. And they're just screamo with some good 8bit riffs thrown in. If half of it was anywhere close to this, (as an example), I guess I would tolerate it as a thing that has the basic right to exist. But from what I saw and heard, the vast majority of it is terrible. I don't like terrible, and encourage others to do the same. (I shot the DuckHunt Dog is an awesome name, I give you that.)
    Man. I linked to I Fight Dragons. I never said the genre as a whole was good, just that it had an amazing name. Remember, 99% of stuff is ****. And Horse the Band is ... Something.

Ok, I wanna go just to rub it in you guys' faces now.
    Why? People who agree with you do, and the people who don't are just gonna think you don't know what your talking about anyway.