New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Elemental's Excitingly Excellent Random Banter: No.CLXXVII

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    >_>
    <_<

I'm...not that big a fan. Not that I dislike them! They're just...ok. Not good enough for me to like them>
    You are one of the few people in the middleground I know.

ION, anyone here speaky da french? I want what I have of this letter to be checked by someone...

Spoiler
    Show
    J’allais écrire vous plus tôt, mais mon portefeuille été vole en le métro. Parce que du délai, tu auras reçu probablement temps j’aurai retourné.

À part de mon portefeuille ayant été vole, ma vacance est grandiose. Ma voyage a France était longue, mais agréable. N’était pas un délai en la vol et n’y pas une correspondance. Las vols sans escale et très génial. Je ne vole pas première classe, mais je vole

Mon touristiques favorites pour l’instant vieilli le Catacombes de Paris et le Musée du Louvre. Je désiré que j’aie eu plus de temps, je regarderais plus l’art vague.
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I'm kinda-sorta with you there. Fragile Things is great, Smoke and Mirrors is apparently even better.
    I really need to buy Fragile Things and also Smoke and Mirrors (on your recommendation); I've only been able to peruse having borrowed them from the library.

I actually enjoyed Anansi Boys more than American Gods. But to each his own, as they say.
    I've enjoyed Anansi Boys a lot more than I've ever had American Gods. It's a lot less scattered.

But Sandman wins.
    This is truth.

I liked Cheshire Fry. His voice makes me happy.
    More people should talk in the way he does.
    Last edited by Amiel; 2012-05-23 at 08:27 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post

ION, anyone here speaky da french? I want what I have of this letter to be checked by someone...

Spoiler
    Show
    J’allais écrire vous plus tôt, mais mon portefeuille été vole en le métro. Parce que du délai, tu auras reçu probablement temps j’aurai retourné.

À part de mon portefeuille ayant été vole, ma vacance est grandiose. Ma voyage a France était longue, mais agréable. N’était pas un délai en la vol et n’y pas une correspondance. Las vols sans escale et très génial. Je ne vole pas première classe, mais je vole

Mon touristiques favorites pour l’instant vieilli le Catacombes de Paris et le Musée du Louvre. Je désiré que j’aie eu plus de temps, je regarderais plus l’art vague.
    Based on my four years of French, I'd say you're pretty good. I'm not fluent, mind you, but everything checks out for me. I'm sure there's someone better who can confirm, if you need them to.
    All avatars you may see on my profile are handmade in my home in the foothills of North Carolina. Please support your local avatarists.
    Also, feel free to PM if you need an avatar.

Cypress RP profile

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eruantion View Post
    Based on my four years of French, I'd say you're pretty good. I'm not fluent, mind you, but everything checks out for me. I'm sure there's someone better who can confirm, if you need them to.
    Hey! This is for French 4!! Also, I'm pretty damn horrible at French, so I'll take your word on it. I'm just proud I didn't actually use a translator like some of the other people in my class.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Titan in the Playground

I took actual photos of this, and am turning them in for my Surreality digital photo assignment. I'll post the actual pictures once I have a chance to blur the face.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-05-23 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Colossus in the Playground

wut. I asked a question, I didn't make a statement.
    Well, I mean, I agree with you. I to am making that statement you said.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Firbolg in the Playground

And now I've got "always look on the bright side of life" stuck in my head.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Oh well, off to watch Life of Brian.
    Oh man, I just realised, when me, Tasroth, Hazyshade and Serps were playing Monty Python Fluxx earlier, we never got the singing card!
    I am slightly lesadface about that.

No, DP was right. I meant the band. I plan on listening to Don't Stop Believin' and Separate Ways on loop all night long.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Are you telling me Journey have more than one song?
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Quiet you!

There are three "genres" of music I enjoy more than any other. Punk, cheesy 80s arena rock, and Disney/Sound of Music-esque stuff. And then the occasional dance-y/techno stuff.

*smothers himself between Genesis, The Offspring, and the Marry Poppins soundtrack simultaneously*

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ettin in the Playground

I just sent someone a funny P.M. If they could repost it in this thread later, and give me credit, that would be awesome.

I'd post it myself, but it has to do with their signature and/or avatar, so...
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Troll in the Playground

Wait.
    Wait.
    Ja.

There's also Wheel in the Sky, which is my personal favourite. We played it before every rugby game back in university.

In totally related news, Journey is awesome.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ogre in the Playground

In totally related news, Journey is awesome.
    I've never been exposed to Journey's music; have I been deprived?

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Amiel; 2012-05-24 at 04:44 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

12. - Top - End - #1152

Hey! I quite like them, some of their songs are pretty good, but otherwise, well, I have better hair metal bands to listen to.
    And Queen.

You called? Unspoiling the letter, bolded is me.

J’allais écrire vous plus tôt, mais mon portefeuille [You mean 'portfolio/wallet' yes? Because if you want 'laptop' it's either 'laptop' or 'ordinateur portatif' (French language laws)] été vole [You'll want an accent egu on vole for it to agree en ['sur' is 'on', and you travel 'sur le metro (no I can't do accents)] le métro. Parce que du délai, tu auras [What? 'You will have' what? Best bet is to say 'tu l'auras' - let me know when you have [received] IT'] reçu probablement temps [this sounds clunky. You probably want 'quelque temps' - sometime] j’aurai retourné. [Overall this translates to 'Because of the delay you will receive probably time I have returned' which is obviously not what you want. Last sentence should be 'quelque temps apres j'ai retourne OR j'aurais retourne. It depends EXACTLY what/where you mean by 'I would have returned'. Personally I prefer 'j'ai retourne' because it just means 'I've returned' and can mean both tenses I mentioned here.]

À part de mon portefeuille ayant été vole [accent egu missing], ma vacance est grandiose [so you're still on holiday writing to someone?]. Ma voyage a [accent grave missing here] France était longue, mais agréable. N’était pas un délai en [do you really mean 'in/on the flies'? I suspect you mean 'durant' - during la vol [flight or theft? I suspect you mean 'flight'. et n’y pas une correspondance. Las vols sans escale et très génial ['the non-stop flights are very nice'? You sure about that? . Je ne vole pas première classe, mais je vole [I suspect this sentence is incomplete. 'I do not fly first class, but I fly'? Well yeah. Much of this paragraph was about you flying. Either delete the whole senetence, finish it off, or reinsert your non-first class seat information elsewhere.

Mon touristiques favorites pour l’instant vieilli [this means aged', do you perhaps mean 'vielle'? le Catacombes de Paris et le Musée du Louvre. Je désiré que j’aie eu plus de temps, je regarderais plus l’art vague. [No accent on the final 'e' in 'desire' is fine, at the moment you have 'I would have desired more time'. In fact, if you mean I would have LIKED more time' say 'Je prefere(with accent) etc.' or perhaps 'J'aimerais' etc. - 'I wish I had more time' which also uses the . . . imperfect conditional or something.
    Overall, not bad. Need more work on the accents otherwise you just need to double-check some of your verb choices and always remember to put in your direct or indirect pronouns - they are very important for French.
    Similarly, there are a few times when your verb and tense choices haven't been as au fait as they could have been.
    I would recommend keeping and making your own grammar book; my whole class did that for A Level French (I believe this would be 11th and 12th grade for you) and it's really helped me remember the grammar.

Well.
    Now I spent my last half hour before my exams correcting your homework rather than remembering my manuscript stemma - off to my last exam! See you guys about 1pm GMT!

Or not. Stupid database fixing thing. I'll post this as soon as I get back from my trashing then.

I'm BAAAAAACK!

I AM NOW OFFICIALLY A GRADUATE OF OXFORD UNIVERSITY (MINUS THE RESULTS)!!!
    Boo.
    Yah.
    And the exam was surprisingly easy all things considered. Well, it made me happy because it allowed me to complain about things I did not like with regards to certain translations and things.
    LOOK I DO NOT CARE ABOUT SPECIFICS THIS TIME AROUND I. AM. DONE.

*goes to eat her celebratory food and maybe go to the bar this evening for drinking*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ettin in the Playground

Congratulations!

*fireworks*

Those are the worst fireworks ever...
    Let's try these ones...

Spoiler
    Show

I chose those ones because they didn't blind me.

Anyway... Firework troubles aside...
    Congratulations!
    You've graduated from a University older than half the countries on the planet*!

*Rough guess, but not too inaccurate.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

14. - Top - End - #1154

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Congratulations!

*fireworks*

Those are the worst fireworks ever...
    Let's try these ones...

Spoiler
    Show

I chose those ones because they didn't blind me.
    *boogies under the fireworks*
    Because none of my friends trashed me, and only one was able to come see me as I came out my last exam.

Anyway... Firework troubles aside...
    Congratulations!
    You've graduated from a University older than half the countries on the planet*!

Yup. For better or for worse, I have finished all of my exams, and now all that remains is to get my results. So graduated in all but name.

There's evidence that teaching in Oxford dates back to around 1096. It's a slightly contentious issue, that is better explained here, but the oldest colleges of the university date to around the 1250s.
    Either way, yeah. Pretty old.

Now to do some more partying!

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Boo.
    Yah.
    And the exam was surprisingly easy all things considered. Well, it made me happy because it allowed me to complain about things I did not like with regards to certain translations and things.

*goes to eat her celebratory food and maybe go to the bar this evening for drinking*
    Congratulations!

Now, forgive my curiosity, but what will you do now (apart from drinking)? More specifically, what are your long term plans, or non-short term plans, or even short term plans if you're dead-set on maintaining a leverage? Your world must be more or less diametrically opposed to mine in terms of how our education present it to us, and vice versa, so it's kind of a mystery beyond my horison.

I think you're aiming way too low with that number. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that no more than 20% of the countries of today have been autonomous for such a long period of time, and that's a lot of error margin added to the 10% I'm more prone to believe in.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ettin in the Playground

There's evidence that teaching in Oxford dates back to around 1096. It's a slightly contentious issue, that is better explained here, but the oldest colleges of the university date to around the 1250s.
    Either way, yeah. Pretty old.

Now to do some more partying!
    Huh... And here I was thinking it dated to the 1400s. I must be getting my prestigious universities mixed up again.
    And I did. I got it confused with the University of Uppsala.
    Though I do remember the story about the King banning English students from attending the University of Paris.
    Also, it's fun looking at the list of world's oldest continually operating universities and counting the number that were founded by countries that no longer exist.

And you have fun with your partying and remember to stay up late and sleep in late if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I think you're aiming way too low with that number. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that no more than 20% of the countries of today have been autonomous for such a long period of time, and that's a lot of error margin added to the 10% I'm more prone to believe in.
    I was trying to be conservative in my guessing. But you're right.
    You only need to look at a map of Africa to know that none of those countries have been around for a long time, except with the possible exception of Morocco, but I doubt that because I think there was a sultanate in that region at the time.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #1157

Congratulations!

Now, forgive my curiosity, but what will you do now (apart from drinking)? More specifically, what are your long term plans, or non-short term plans, or even short term plans if you're dead-set on maintaining a leverage? Your world must be more or less diametrically opposed to mine in terms of how our education present it to us, and vice versa, so it's kind of a mystery beyond my horizon.
    Thank you!
    Shortest term plans: tonight will involve drinking. Probably on my own like a sad sack because all my friends are revising or elsewhere. And drinking, eating nice food, and maybe going out to a dessert parlour for dinner over the weekend.
    Short term plans: maybe go to Newcastle to meet two birthday people. Stil dithering. Can't remember if it clashes with my Jubilee mini-meetup.
    Apply to several more universities.
    Go to Londinium for a Jubilee mini-meetup.
    Hang out with friends, commiserate with them, celebrate with them, act as a talking stress relief type person.

Summer-length term plans: find a job down home, or tutoring online, or even an internship of some sort to earn more money for the postgraduate work.
    Oh. And the UK Summer Meetup. And I may be going to Mathematics Friend's house beforehand.

CONTINGENCY PLAN: If I don't get accepted to any postgrad course, take a year out, start reapplying in September/October to more places. Try and work my arse off over the year doing anything I can in a county where jobs are rapidly going down the drain.

Aside from that I'm not really sure exactly what you mean. I know I'm going to get a least an MA in something Medieval based. And eventually I do want a PhD, but that costs lots of money so I'm going to need some funding.
    I'll have to speak with people at Careers about it. And see if I can finangle [university where I do my MA] into letting me teach undergraduates Old English or do some marking or work as a research assistant or something.

It depends on how you'd constitute a country. Technically England has been around since c. 900 AD, but has undergone an invasion that won, two civil wars (one of which we undid) and amalgamated it with several other countries, although it still exists as both England, part of the UK and so on.

Huh... And here I was thinking it dated to the 1400s. I must be getting my prestigious universities mixed up again.
    And I did. I got it confused with the University of Uppsala.
    Though I do remember the story about the King banning English students from attending the University of Paris.
    Also, it's fun looking at the list of world's oldest continually operating universities and counting the number that were founded by countries that no longer exist.
    How did you do that?
    And technically; Oxford is the sixth(ish) oldest continuously university in the world, maybe fifth if you say the University of Paris no longer exists because it's 13 separate universities now. But it is the oldest continuously running university in the English speaking world.

And you have fun with your partying and remember to stay up late and sleep in late if you can.
    Oh, Elemental my dear, I'm always up late and often (trying to) sleep in late. Also, I was tempted to call you Elly or Ella, but decided not to on account of you probably not wanting to be called those names.

I was trying to be conservative in my guessing. But you're right.
    You only need to look at a map of Africa to know that none of those countries have been around for a long time, except with the possible exception of Morocco, but I doubt that because I think there was a sultanate in that region at the time.
    Again it depends. It was a kingdom from about the C7th until it became a protectorate in the early C20th, but then rebecame a kingdom about forty odd years later. Source.
    I suppose you could say 'continuously running as an independent governing body, but in that case it wouldn't be because of the protectorate status back in the 1910s.
    God, politics is confusing.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

18. - Top - End - #1158

Well, if you're not including protectorates, you have weird things where Canada became independent and a country in 1867, but it wasn't until 1982 that the Constitution Act patriated the British North America Act, and renamed it the Canada Act, because before our constitution could only be changed through the British.

We didn't even control our own foreign policy until after WWI.

So, where did we gain actual independence?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Colossus in the Playground

Congratulations Curly! It's always nice to succed at things like this

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you!
    Shortest term plans: tonight will involve drinking. Probably on my own like a sad sack because all my friends are revising or elsewhere. And drinking, eating nice food, and maybe going out to a dessert parlour for dinner over the weekend.
    Short term plans: maybe go to Newcastle to meet two birthday people. Stil dithering. Can't remember if it clashes with my Jubilee mini-meetup.
    Hang out with friends, commiserate with them, celebrate with them, act as a talking stress relief type person.

Summer-length term plans: find a job down home, or tutoring online, or even an internship of some sort to earn more money for the postgraduate work.
    Oh. And the UK Summer Meetup. And I may be going to Mathematics Friend's house beforehand.
    Go London!

memo: need to discuss meeting points... if we are there for the jubliee it's going to be manic.

also need to find portable games and stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

21. - Top - End - #1161

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Well, if you're not including protectorates, you have weird things where Canada became independent and a country in 1867, but it wasn't until 1982 that the Constitution Act patriated the British North America Act, and renamed it the Canada Act, because before our constitution could only be changed through the British.

Wait, what?
    So you were a country, but the British owned it until 1982 when it was allowed to be owned and governed by Canadia and Canadians without any outside influence?
    That about right yes?

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Congratulations Curly! It's always nice to succeed at things like this
    Well, I haven't had my results yet, so I'm still living in suspension, but all the hard things are done. Just got to wait now.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Go London!

memo: need to discuss meeting points... if we are there for the jubliee it's going to be manic.

also need to find portable games and stuff.
    It's next weekend (well, the Mon/Tue after that no?), so we'd best hurry. To the UK Meetup thread!
    Given Cassie Lassie it'd probably be London Paddington I think.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2012-05-24 at 09:24 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

It depends on how you'd constitute a country. Technically England has been around since c. 900 AD, but has undergone an invasion that won, two civil wars (one of which we undid) and amalgamated it with several other countries, although it still exists as both England, part of the UK and so on.
    It does indeed depend upon how one decides as to what counts as a country. An independent sovereign state usually works, but that has issues that make it difficult to work out which is truly an independent sovereign state and how long it's actually been around for.
    Case in point of England.
    One could argue that after the Norman Conquest it ceased to be an independent sovereign state and was instead subject to the authority of the Duke of Normandy. On the other hand, William's stated goal was to gain the throne of England which had been promised to him, thus making Normandy subject to the King of England.
    However, in truth, he was King of England and Duke of Normandy, which makes it even more complicated.
    So, the question is... Did it, or did it not, cease to be an independent country at that point? In my opinion, it can't be said for sure.

How did you do that?
    And technically; Oxford is the sixth(ish) oldest continuously university in the world, maybe fifth if you say the University of Paris no longer exists because it's 13 separate universities now. But it is the oldest continuously running university in the English speaking world.
    How I got it confused with the University of Uppsala? That is a good question.
    The answer is, I was reading a book about the scientific history of various chemical elements, and the book references the University of Uppsala and Oxford.
    Somehow, I managed to get them confused in the five months since I read that book.
    And the list I read must have been wrong, because it counts Oxford as third after Bologna and Paris. Which is why one should never rely on Internet sources.

Oh, Elemental my dear, I'm always up late and often (trying to) sleep in late. Also, I was tempted to call you Elly or Ella, but decided not to on account of you probably not wanting to be called those names.
    Standard abbreviation is Ele. Funny thing is, I hate people abbreviating my name in real life (It's only two syllables for goodness sake! Stop being lazy! Needless to say, few people got away with it.), yet don't have a problem with people using a diminutive of my Internet name.
    And anyway, you have an excuse to spend most of tomorrow in bed tomorrow if you want, so I say: Do it!
    Unless you have stuff to do.

Again it depends. It was a kingdom from about the C7th until it became a protectorate in the early C20th, but then rebecame a kingdom about forty odd years later. Source.
    I suppose you could say 'continuously running as an independent governing body, but in that case it wouldn't be because of the protectorate status back in the 1910s.
    God, politics is confusing.
    Which is the real reason we don't discuss it.
    And anyway, besides my historical inaccuracy concerning Morocco (Which I'm sure was a sultanate at one point), I completely forgot about Ethiopia. Which has been around forever.
    Also, there was a Sultanate in there. They just changed their name.
    Damn interchangeable terminology...

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post

That's a good question...
    I think we in Australia had our own foreign policy from independence in 1901, but we usually did what the British said until World War II...

That's right. We passed the Statute of Westminster Adoption Act in 1942 to formally clarify our independence. And then covered all the other bases with the Australia Act in 1986.

Wow... It can take a long time to sort out legal technicalities.

And this is why I'm not pursuing a career in law.

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT:

It's next weekend (well, the Mon/Tue after that no?), so we'd best hurry. To the UK Meetup thread!
    Given Cassie Lassie it'd probably be London Paddington I think.
    Imagines Cassie turning up with label attached: "Please look after this embodiment of Chaos"
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

24. - Top - End - #1164

It does indeed depend upon how one decides as to what counts as a country. An independent sovereign state usually works, but that has issues that make it difficult to work out which is truly an independent sovereign state and how long it's actually been around for.
    Case in point of England.
    One could argue that after the Norman Conquest it ceased to be an independent sovereign state and was instead subject to the authority of the Duke of Normandy. On the other hand, William's stated goal was to gain the throne of England which had been promised to him, thus making Normandy subject to the King of England.
    However, in truth, he was King of England and Duke of Normandy, which makes it even more complicated.
    So, the question is... Did it, or did it not, cease to be an independent country at that point? In my opinion, it can't be said for sure.
    Well, it gets a little worse because Henry V was King of England and France, but over time we lost our French territories back to the rulers of France.
    But I think England/Britain is still considered a monarchy or constitutional monarchy or something, so the Duke of Normandy and the other French duchy title were subordinate to the Kingship, and became a part of England. Maybe?
    I should know this considering I did Medieval History for A Level.
    Although extremely technically England was subordinate to France and was meant to pay homage to the King of France, but never did.

How I got it confused with the University of Uppsala? That is a good question.
    The answer is, I was reading a book about the scientific history of various chemical elements, and the book references the University of Uppsala and Oxford.
    Somehow, I managed to get them confused in the five months since I read that book.
    And the list I read must have been wrong, because it counts Oxford as third after Bologna and Paris. Which is why one should never rely on Internet sources.
    But Uppsala's in . . . Sweden? Finland? Pretty damn sure it's Sweden.
    As for the list, some of the oldest continuously running universities are actually Muslim/mosque schools that offered degrees.
    Source.

Standard abbreviation is Ele. Funny thing is, I hate people abbreviating my name in real life (It's only two syllables for goodness sake! Stop being lazy! Needless to say, few people got away with it.), yet don't have a problem with people using a diminutive of my Internet name.
    And anyway, you have an excuse to spend most of tomorrow in bed tomorrow if you want, so I say: Do it!
    Unless you have stuff to do.
    'kay. And don't worry about the name thing, people insist on forgetting how to pronounce my name, and think it's a nickname as it is. It is not.
    As far as spending most of today in bed tomorrow goes, I could, but . . . I have cleaners. They come to empty bins and rumour is there's a surprise inspection going by the House Matron tomorrow too.
    And I honestly don't have anything to do tomorrow except hang out on the internet, go trash a friend or two and . . . that's about it really.
    My life is so empty.

Which is the real reason we don't discuss it.
    And anyway, besides my historical inaccuracy concerning Morocco (Which I'm sure was a sultanate at one point), I completely forgot about Ethiopia. Which has been around forever.
    Also, there was a Sultanate in there. They just changed their name.
    Damn interchangeable terminology...
    Or Egypt? Pretty famous for being a very old country with a very well-established history dating back a good five thousand years. At least until the Greeks came and kind of made it theirs (okay, Macedonians), and then the ROmans, and then maybe some Sultanates/Caliphs. And then . . . yeah.

That's a good question...
    I think we in Australia had our own foreign policy from independence in 1901, but we usually did what the British said until World War II...

That's right. We passed the Statute of Westminster Adoption Act in 1942 to formally clarify our independence. And then covered all the other bases with the Australia Act in 1986.

Wow... It can take a long time to sort out legal technicalities.

And this is why I'm not pursuing a career in law.
    That and you actually have to know things, like names and dates and laws and when they apply/do not apply and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Imagines Cassie turning up with label attached: "Please look after this embodiment of Chaos"
    Cassie will do this.
    And if she doesn't I will bring a safety pin, a pen and some paper to do this to her.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

25. - Top - End - #1165

Hell: Yeah.
    Congratulations. I'm sure your results will be good.

Shortest term plans: tonight will involve drinking. Probably on my own like a sad sack because all my friends are revising or elsewhere.
    Aw. That's a shame. But I suppose there's always time for more celebratory drinks once they're finished as well. But I'll raise a glass or bottle of something to you from Newcastle-ish some time this evening if I remember.

Don't think so, since my birthday itself is the wednesday prior and my party is on the saturday, whereas Jubilee mini-meeting is then on the monday and tuesday. And of course Serpy Darling's birthday already happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Cassie as Paddington Bear?
    OMG mental image is so adorable.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, it gets a little worse because Henry V was King of England and France, but over time we lost our French territories back to the rulers of France.
    But I think England/Britain is still considered a monarchy or constitutional monarchy or something, so the Duke of Normandy and the other French duchy title were subordinate to the Kingship, and became a part of England. Maybe?
    I should know this considering I did Medieval History for A Level.
    Although extremely technically England was subordinate to France and was meant to pay homage to the King of France, but never did.
    Well... The Duchy of Normandy was always part of France, so the Duke was always technically subservient to the King of France. And throughout most of history, the Duke of Normandy was the King of England. (as well as other places)
    Most of the English claim to the throne of France comes from the fact that they wanted it, they could afford it, and hey, they had control of Aquitaine at one point. And that meant they owned more land in France than the King.

But Uppsala's in . . . Sweden? Finland? Pretty damn sure it's Sweden.
    As for the list, some of the oldest continuously running universities are actually Muslim/mosque schools that offered degrees.
    Source.
    Sweden. And it featured prominently in the book I read because of all the elements discovered in Sweden.
    And I'll concede the point concerning oldest continuously running universities. After all... the Western tradition of operating universities was stolen from academies operated by the Muslims in Spain. (unfortunately, all closed due to the obvious historical events)

'kay. And don't worry about the name thing, people insist on forgetting how to pronounce my name, and think it's a nickname as it is. It is not.
    As far as spending most of today in bed tomorrow goes, I could, but . . . I have cleaners. They come to empty bins and rumour is there's a surprise inspection going by the House Matron tomorrow too.
    And I honestly don't have anything to do tomorrow except hang out on the internet, go trash a friend or two and . . . that's about it really.
    My life is so empty.
    It probably only feels empty because you no longer have the spectre of academic work hovering over you night and day. My suggestion is you take a walk and admire architecture or look at flowers and ornamental shrubbery.

Or Egypt? Pretty famous for being a very old country with a very well-established history dating back a good five thousand years. At least until the Greeks came and kind of made it theirs (okay, Macedonians), and then the ROmans, and then maybe some Sultanates/Caliphs. And then . . . yeah.
    Actually... Egypt doesn't have continuity as a state. Modern day Egypt is less than one hundred years old, at most.
    Before that, it was the British, then the Ottomans, and so forth.
    Long history doesn't mean continuity.
    Ethiopia on the other hand has been independent for the past thousand years (or thereabouts) except for a brief period involving the Second World War.

That and you actually have to know things, like names and dates and laws and when they apply/do not apply and so on.
    That, and I have no patience with the current state of our government.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-05-24 at 10:22 AM.

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Titan in the Playground

I want to write a sorta-short, sorta-long story that uses a previously established formula so that I can focus on the setting the story takes place in and the characters in the story instead of a surprising plot.

Google has failed me for the first time in a LOOOOONG time. Where can I find a literary formula?
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-05-24 at 10:49 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #1168

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I want to write a sorta-short, sorta-long story that uses a previously established formula so that I can focus on the setting the story takes place in and the characters in the story instead of a surprising plot.

Google has failed me for the first time in a LOOOOONG time. Where can I find a literary formula?
    Pick a book you liked the plot of. Steal the basic outline of that plot. For example, the first Harry Potter book. "Boy and his new friends must brave xyz challenges to beat The Big Bad (who isn't who they thought he was) to the Object of Power."
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #1169

Boo.
    Yah.

Congratulations! I raise my glass to you.

Spoiler
    Show

Thank you!

CONTINGENCY PLAN: If I don't get accepted to any postgrad course, take a year out, start reapplying in September/October to more places. Try and work my arse off over the year doing anything I can in a county where jobs are rapidly going down the drain.

Aside from that I'm not really sure exactly what you mean. I know I'm going to get a least an MA in something Medieval based. And eventually I do want a PhD, but that costs lots of money so I'm going to need some funding.
    I'll have to speak with people at Careers about it. And see if I can finangle [university where I do my MA] into letting me teach undergraduates Old English or do some marking or work as a research assistant or something.
    Apply to universities in Boston! They're good, but more importantly you can hang out with American playgrounders then!

Alright, well that is a bit unpractical. Still, I wish you luck wherever it is you go Curly! You've got a lot of great things ahead of you!

Actually... Egypt doesn't have continuity as a state. Modern day Egypt is less than one hundred years old, at most.
    Before that, it was the British, then the Ottomans, and so forth.
    Long history doesn't mean continuity.
    Ethiopia on the other hand has been independent for the past thousand years (or thereabouts) except for a brief period involving the Second World War.
    Indeed, and it's all been downhill since the Ptolemaioi stopped ruling. Bring them back I tell you!
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2012-05-24 at 11:49 AM.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

Cassie will do this.
    And if she doesn't I will bring a safety pin, a pen and some paper to do this to her.
    Cassie as Paddington Bear?
    OMG mental image is so adorable.
    Well, the rest of us expect photos- because I won't be able to get down there- with work on Mondays and everything...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.