New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease

Well, we don't know for sure but I feel that if she was a trans guy (or someone non-binary) the conversation would have been a bit more detailed than "I'm trans". But we'll see.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease

In retrospect, I find Martin's reaction odd. Not because it was inappropriate -- it was almost perfect, really. But because he's Martin. I would've expected something closer to the Marigold-swimsuit fiasco.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    In retrospect, I find Martin's reaction odd. Not because it was inappropriate -- it was almost perfect, really. But because he's Martin. I would've expected something closer to the Marigold-swimsuit fiasco.
    I actually think he nailed the reaction for marten. I mean think about it. First of all, he was brought up pretty accepting. His dad is gay and his mom is a world famous dominatrix. His friends include all sorts of sexual orientation, mental issues, and odd habits. He has had to be pretty flexible to do as well as he has.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... I won't go into too much detail but as well Marten handled the situation... is he not the least bit curious? I mean, I would be curious. I'm not sure if it would be inappropriate (okay, I guess it was) but I would like to know at least a few things apart from: I'm trans.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #635
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hm... I won't go into too much detail but as well Marten handled the situation... is he not the least bit curious? I mean, I would be curious. I'm not sure if it would be inappropriate (okay, I guess it was) but I would like to know at least a few things apart from: I'm trans.
    Well, he's also tired and probably more than a little drunk.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I should put my foot in my mouth, that's sort of my thing. Hmm... my leg is kind of heavy and I don't have the coordination for it anyway now.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #637
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    A presumption that someone who was old enough to be a grad student would have enough years on them to be somewhere along the transition process rather than not yet started upon it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Well, we don't know for sure but I feel that if she was a trans guy (or someone non-binary) the conversation would have been a bit more detailed than "I'm trans". But we'll see.
    I assumed that also. She's more than old enough to have transitioned. Even if her parents objected, getting started at 18 would give her 6 years. It doesn't take that long does it? I don't know much about the process involved.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, this. He usually does better when he's buzzed. It also probably helps that he really legitimately does want to go inside before the noisy make-out starts.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a little confused, but is he a female to male transsexual who hasn't started the process much or is she a male to female transsexual who is (mostly?) transitioned?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #639
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I actually think he nailed the reaction for marten. I mean think about it. First of all, he was brought up pretty accepting. His dad is gay and his mom is a world famous dominatrix. His friends include all sorts of sexual orientation, mental issues, and odd habits. He has had to be pretty flexible to do as well as he has.
    Oh... I'm sure he is...

10. - Top - End - #640

I'm disappointed that there's no joke yet about how, if one sibling has a robot hand, the other must then have a robotic, er, you know.

Also reminds me of this.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-11-19 at 05:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #641

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm disappointed that there's no joke yet about how, if one sibling has a robot hand, the other must then have a robotic, er, you know.

Also reminds me of this.
    A robotic foot?

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Also reminds me of this.
    That is a awesome clip right there. They whole way through I kept going "why is it titled Iran? that doesn't even seem remotely related."

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Also reminds me of this.
    Eh, I'm not really. It's not like 99% of trans* portrayals out there don't obsess about genitals already. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I assumed that also. She's more than old enough to have transitioned. Even if her parents objected, getting started at 18 would give her 6 years. It doesn't take that long does it? I don't know much about the process involved.
    Eh, it depends from person to person, but HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) will have the most drastic outwardly visible changes during the first twoish years.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #644
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh. Someone already mentioned that possibility. Not that I'm suggesting Claire would have robotic genitals or anything. Don't imagine they'd be very popular. You probably wouldn't even get to feel anything.

*cough*

But what I was interested in was . . . Seeing the kind of robot hand her brother has, or the more humanoid models of AnthroPC, or even the fact that in the QC Earth they've already reached one of the most boring Singularities ever . . . Well . . . I can't help but wonder how different the MTF or FTM process is in QC Earth.

In light of this revelation . . . I will tentatively hold to my original reaction at Claire's introduction. That being, "Hell yes! Another glasses girl!"

Though Emily is currently my favorite of the new girl's just for being so damn amusing.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

If she is a male to female, her brother is a better brother than we gave him credit for. A complete lackwit would have mentioned it in some fashion by now, probably in an incredibly insensitive fashion.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    If she is a male to female, her brother is a better brother than we gave him credit for. A complete lackwit would have mentioned it in some fashion by now, probably in an incredibly insensitive fashion.
    A complete lackwit would have done so in an incredibly insensitive fashion regardless of whether she were male to female or if he were female to male. Not sure why it would matter which.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    A complete lackwit would have done so in an incredibly insensitive fashion regardless of whether she were male to female or if he were female to male. Not sure why it would matter which.
    Yeah, that came out wrong. Still, the fact he didn't mention it either means a) he is more sensitive than other events indicate or b) the author only recently thought of this.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-20 at 12:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that came out wrong. Still, the fact he didn't mention it either means a) he is more sensitive than other events indicate or b) the author only recently thought of this.
    I'd imagine Claire would've stressed that he'd not talk about this to everyone. Also adds another dimension to her being worried about him saying anything 'weird' in this one. And not to start about her last line in this one.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #649

Especially since she had no problem making up a nice embarrassing story about how he lost his hand. I dunno if I could have resisted firing back after that. *EDIT* "Oh yeah? Well at least in my case its just a HAND ive had removed."
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-11-20 at 06:10 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #650

How old are people usually when they go to college in the US? I assume 18, in which case Clinton was 15 when Claire started transitioning. He's had plenty of time to adjust to the idea.
    Oh, and that's the "direction" confirmed, then.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

Claire did say that even though he's a jerk sometimes, Clinton IS a pretty good brother.

It might also be mental outlook. Clint might regard his brother's turn to the female side with shame, confusion, approval, or even as something unimportant, like getting vaccinated. Under those circumstances throwing it in her face, in public, might not occur to him...

22. - Top - End - #652
    Firbolg in the Playground

But they don't mention if she is pre- or post-op.. don't they?

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think that's really relevant? Cis people aren't expected to reveal everything about their genitals so there's little reason why trans* people should~
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #654

GnomePirate

Err... yeah. Not jumping into the question of "so what exactly is going on in your pants?" was probably the number one thing that Jeff picked up from all that research he mentioned doing.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Connington View Post
    Err... yeah. Not jumping into the question of "so what exactly is going on in your pants?" was probably the number one thing that Jeff picked up from all that research he mentioned doing.
    Just because the author knows better, doesn't mean his characters do.

26. - Top - End - #656

Though as evidenced by recent events, there are an unfortunately large number of people who can't distinguish between the author and their characters.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think that's really relevant? Cis people aren't expected to reveal everything about their genitals so there's little reason why trans* people should~
    To be honest, I had to think about this for a little bit, but I agree. Just as long as it is clear enough what their gender identity is, I don't really care. Otherwise I'd be likely to get confused, and awkward with use of pronouns. Claire is clear with this, as her name suggests.

I wonder what her birth name was though... do trans people have "patterns" in name choices? Like, does their new name often resemble their old one, for example?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    To be honest, I had to think about this for a little bit, but I agree. Just as long as it is clear enough what their gender identity is, I don't really care. Otherwise I'd be likely to get confused, and awkward with use of pronouns. Claire is clear with this, as her name suggests.

I wonder what her birth name was though... do trans people have "patterns" in name choices? Like, does their new name often resemble their old one, for example?
    It depends from person to person; some people go with the feminine / masculine version of their given name. Others ask their parents what they would have been named if they had been a different gender. But tons of people just pick a new name they like. I went with a altered version of what I would've been called had I been assigned female at birth.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #659
    Troll in the Playground

I think, that Commander Badass summed it up the best. Private parts are called that for a reason.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

30. - Top - End - #660

You know, not all Trans people have surgery. It's an option, but not an obligation.