New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051525354555657585974 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Gryphon is just a different spelling, and it just looks better and more appropriate in my opinion for the creature, they dont have an alignment, but only accept good riders.

and it didnt have to look identical
    You're thinking of Unicorns.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You're thinking of Unicorns.
    both of them
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 719

Can the Drow of the Underdark feats At Home in the Deep (p. 47), Blend Into Shadows (p. 47), Fade Into Darkness (p. 50), Instinctive Darkness (p.50) and Intensify Darkness (p. 50) work with the Hungry Darkness invocation (Complete Arcane, p. 134)?
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 720 can a troll regenerate heat damage?, for example if a troll has a large bucket of extremely hot water dumped on it will it regenerate?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2012-08-19 at 08:38 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    both of them
    You're wrong, there's no stipulation about what kind of creature can ride a griffon (aside from obvious size mis-match issues).
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-08-19 at 10:43 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q 721

Are there any rules covering staying awake for extended periods of time? The closest I've found is the forced march rules, but nothing for simply staying awake for longer than a day while doing less strenuous activities.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

Attempted A 721:

Believe there are rules somewhere in PHB ( with a few magic items here and there that specificly change them while worn ) about needing 8 hours of rest/sleep. 4 hours, IIRC, for elves. Still 8 hours for spells, etc.

I posted this previously, but I don't know if it was skipped over due to mislabel or something I didn't pick up from the rules. Please let me know if I did something wrong.

Q 722

Heretic of the faith. Page 46. Dark Moon Heresy. Page 47. So long as a 'dark moon heresy' monk stays lawful neutral ( somehow ), could said monk benefit from feats / ACFs / sub-levels that require the patron deity of Selune/shar ?

Example while ignoring the requirement of sun monk order requirement:

Could a monk benefit from sun soul monk feat from champions of valor ( normally patron deity of selune ) AND dark moon disciple ( patron deity requirement of shar ) at the same time since the 'dark moon heresy' believes that they are the 'same' patron deity. By RAW.
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2012-08-20 at 12:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Firbolg in the Playground

Reposting from a previous page as well:

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Q707: What ways (if any) exist to cast Summon Monster III without taking levels in a casting class? I'm thinking of something lsimilar to Fiendish Legacy, but specifically for Summon Monster III (and hopefully available sooner). Feats and templates are preferred, but I'm open to other ideas as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 723

Have the lists of summonable creaturesfor Summon Monster I-IX and Summon Nature's Ally I-IX ever been expanded? If so where can I find them?

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

Reposting from last page

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Q 717 If I have a companion with a Deliver touch spell ability (like a familiar or a tentacle whip symbiont ) does that also allows to deliver SLA?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ettin in the Playground

A 717

No, unless the ability explicitley says so. Spellcasting and spell-like abilities are two distinct powers. One does not include the other.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ogre in the Playground

A723

Yes on both.
    Summon Monster's expanded options can be found here, SNA here.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Q 724 Does using quicken spell-like ability feat on a SLA that mimics a touch spell allows you to deliver the touch as a swift action?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

Q725

The feat High Sword Low Axe states: If you hit the same creature with both your sword and your axe in the same round, you may make a free trip attempt against that foe.

How is a round defined, for the purposes of triggering the feat? Can you hit Orc with your sword during your turn (attack action), miss with your axe --> then during an AoO on the Orc's turn, you hit with your axe. Does that qualify?
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

Q726
    Does designating a weapon as 'off-hand' matter outside of completing a Two-Weapon fighting attack? For instance, if fighting with a broadsword and a handaxe (light weapon, so the off-hand one for TWF), and you make an AoO, can you choose to make the attack with either the broadsword or the handaxe?
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

16. - Top - End - #1456

HalflingPirate

A 724 Yes. You may make the free touch as part of the action used to activate the ability.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ettin in the Playground

Q727
    Do undead under control of a caster via being created by Animate Dead remain under control of their creator in an anti-magic field?

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 728

Do you gain the damage bonus from Blade Meditation with all strikes or only those of the chosen school?

For example , if you took Blade Meditation (Devoted Spirit) and used a Falchion, would you gain the bonus with any maneuver or only those of the Devoted Spirit school?

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Troll in the Playground

Q 729

If you have a prestige class that says +1 of spellcasting class, does this mean just arcane/divine casters? Could you use this to progress, say, a totemist or a warlock? My assumption is not, but I want to make sure.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 725
    round

A 6-second unit of game time used to manage combat. Every combatant may take at least one action every round.
    Each character's round is from the start of their turn until just before their turn the next round; see THE COMBAT ROUND on page 138 of Player's Handbook.

A 727 Yes.

Animate Dead is an instantaneous effect spell; that means there is no ongoing magic afterward, and consequently nothing for Antimagic Field to suppress.

A 729

There is no general answer for this question. Each prestige class will specify what characteristics "+1 level of existing class" refer to for that PrC.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-08-20 at 03:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1461

HalflingPirate

Q 730 Are there any special rules for a non-aquatic creature using a Breath Weapon underwater? Does it meant they aren't holding their breath any longer?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1462

HalflingPirate

A 707, Partial

A Gloura casts as a 7th level bard at ECL 9. That is the closest I was able to find to a template.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Q 729

If you have a prestige class that says +1 of spellcasting class, does this mean just arcane/divine casters? Could you use this to progress, say, a totemist or a warlock? My assumption is not, but I want to make sure.
    A 729
    Meldshapers are definitely not casters, and a Warlock is not a spellcasting class, though it does use a caster level for its invocations. In either case, anything designed to advance a "spellcasting" class wouldn't work.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 731a
    If you qualify for Hellfire Warlock's "must know Brimstone Blast or Hellrime Blast" prerequisite (or another invocation casting PrC with similar "must know Invocation X" as a prerequisite) through a temporary means (such as Chameleon's floating feat picking up Extra Invocation and selecting brimstone blast), and then lose the knowledge of that invocation (by, say, changing your floating feat), and thus no longer meet Hellfire Warlock's prerequisites, do you lose the invocation caster levels you had gained through Hellfire Warlock levels?

Q 732b
    If the answer to Q 731a is "yes", and you then regain knowledge of the prerequisite invocation (such as by selecting the prerequisite invocation as your Extra Invocation target again), do you regain the same invocation caster levels that you had lost previously, or do you gain new invocation caster levels, replacing the old ones that you had lost?

Also, reposting:

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    Q 719

Can the Drow of the Underdark feats At Home in the Deep (p. 47), Blend Into Shadows (p. 47), Fade Into Darkness (p. 50), Instinctive Darkness (p.50) and Intensify Darkness (p. 50) work with the Hungry Darkness invocation (Complete Arcane, p. 134)?
    Homebrew!

Show

25. - Top - End - #1465

HalflingPirate

A 731

No. The only rules which state that such a loss should happen are in Complete Arcane and Complete Warrior. By the primary source rule, those books cannot change the way PrCs from other sources are handled.

A 717

No. Each of those except At Home in the Deep requires you to expend a use of your Darkness SLA, which Hungry Darkness is not.

In the case of At Home in the Deep it works as well as seeing through the Darkness SLA, which according to the text it does not do.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2012-08-20 at 07:11 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    A 731

No. The only rules which state that such a loss should happen are in Complete Arcane and Complete Warrior. By the primary source rule, those books cannot change the way PrCs from other sources are handled.
    Perchance, do you have a page number or citation for these rules in Complete Arcane/Warrior? I can't seem to find them at all. (Are they found in the rules for a specific prestige class?)

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Complete Warrior, p. 16. Unfortunately, this page only has rules for what happens if you lose prerequisites, not if you regain them.

Q 731, follow-up/reconciliation/dispute?
    A popular interpretation of the Hulk (see: Hulk thread) uses levels of War Hulk, which has a "Special: Large or larger" prerequisite, which it only qualifies for while in rage (via the Mountain Rage variant, which it attains through Stoneblessed or by being a Goliath). The popular interpretation (at least, for the benefit of Hulking out) is that you lose all class features while not Large (you are not fulfilling a prerequisite), and then regain them when your Mountain Rage makes you Large again (because you fulfill the prerequisite). Is this interpretation correct (in which case, you do regain class features when you once again fulfill the prerequisites)? If so, how does this affect invocations known, which are based on your invocation caster level (which are lost as the class features are lost, as "invoking" is a class feature, but regained when the class features are regained)?

If the above interpretation of the War Hulk is not RAW-legal, then obviously there is no dispute, but if the War Hulk use listed above is RAW-legal, I can't understand how the Hellfire Warlock use wouldn't be (if they are governed by the same rules).
    Last edited by Lonely Tylenol; 2012-08-20 at 07:41 PM.
    Homebrew!

Show

27. - Top - End - #1467

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    Perchance, do you have a page number or citation for these rules in Complete Arcane/Warrior? I can't seem to find them at all. (Are they found in the rules for a specific prestige class?)
    CA p17, CW p16.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1468

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    A 729
    Meldshapers are definitely not casters, and a Warlock is not a spellcasting class, though it does use a caster level for its invocations. In either case, anything designed to advance a "spellcasting" class wouldn't work.
    A 729: Incorrect. According to Complete Arcane (page 18, "Warlocks and Prestige Classes), Warlocks do indeed benefit from Prestige Classes that progress spellcasting, gaining extra invocations known and improved Eldritch Blast damage, as well as progressing their effective caster level. Meldshapers, however, do not, instead progressing through prestige classes that add "+1 level of existing meldshaping class."
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2012-08-20 at 07:30 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    CA p17, CW p16.
    Drat! Ninja'd my edit by a mile.

Re-posting from the edit:

Unfortunately, this page only has rules for what happens if you lose prerequisites, not if you regain them. (Although I guess that could mean that you can't regain class features unless the class explicitly says you can in an "Ex-[class]" subsection...)

Q 731, follow-up/reconciliation/dispute?
    A popular interpretation of the Hulk (see: Hulk thread) uses levels of War Hulk, which has a "Special: Large or larger" prerequisite, which it only qualifies for while in rage (via the Mountain Rage variant, which it attains through Stoneblessed or by being a Goliath). The popular interpretation (at least, for the benefit of Hulking out) is that you lose all class features while not Large (you are not fulfilling a prerequisite), and then regain them when your Mountain Rage makes you Large again (because you fulfill the prerequisite). Is this interpretation correct (in which case, you do regain class features when you once again fulfill the prerequisites)? If so, how does this affect invocations known, which are based on your invocation caster level (which are lost as the class features are lost, as "invoking" is a class feature, but regained when the class features are regained)?

If the above interpretation of the War Hulk is not RAW-legal, then obviously there is no dispute, but if the War Hulk use listed above is RAW-legal, I can't understand how the Hellfire Warlock use wouldn't be (if they are governed by the same rules).
    Last edited by Lonely Tylenol; 2012-08-20 at 07:45 PM.
    Homebrew!

Show

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 731

The question is pretty much moot, because you cannot "prepare" for level advancement. You go up a level immediately when your XP total is adequate (see Player's Handbook on page 58), meaning level advancement happens on the DM's schedule, not the player's. As such you would only qualify for War Hulk (step 1. Choose Class) if your DM specifically awarded the XP necessary to advance to the next level while your Goliath Barbarian was using Mountain Rage. If your DM did this, all questions about qualification at that point should be addressed to that individual DM. Normally, your level advancement would happen outside of combat and the entry to War Hulk would not be possible.

It's also worth noting that, while Complete Warrior (page 16) and Complete Arcane (page 17) contain rules which require continual maintenance of entry requirements for the prestige classes in those books, those two rules are substantially different.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-08-20 at 08:50 PM.