New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Remember that being Medium is a long-term appointment. We shouldn't think only in terms of who is the best medium right now, but who has the most potential, which is probably Annie.

But lets think Categories.
    A good medium needs to be tough (or at least Brazen enough) to impress the Forest Dwellers so they will listen, they need to be polite enough to avoid offending anybody, they need to be charismatic enough to convince people, and they need to be good at furthering the Court's goals.

Parley can certainly speak the Forest's language, but she's too brash. Coyote might find her amusing, but she's likely to offend others.
    Smitface won't offend anybody, but only because nobody will listen to him.
    Annie has loads of charisma, especially when dealing with Etheric beings, and she has a pre-existing rapport with Coyote. However she's got a noted rebellious streak, and so may not be the best representative of Court interests.

In terms of Potential, Parley could be taught to "Bare Her Fangs" without offending people, I can't imagine Smitty being tough, or Annie becoming unbiased.

One option could be a sort of "Cultural Attache" situation. Smitty Speaks for the Court, Annie accompanies him in order to make the Forest creatures listen/help him navigate the Forest.
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-02-11 at 11:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    That 'Furthermore' concerns me. Why do I get the sinking feeling Annie might be punished rather severely, or even banished?
    Chapter 42: The Wrath of Kat

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    That 'Furthermore' concerns me. Why do I get the sinking feeling Annie might be punished rather severely, or even banished?
    In the previous update, I thought it was kind of silly to bring the forest representative and show him all three candidates without first letting them know who gets the job.

Now, it seems like it was the plan of the headmaster to humiliate Annie in front of both the forest AND the court, and this "furthermore" doesn't sound promising indeed.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Troll in the Playground

It's probably been a long time since Coyote was surprised like that. He looks like he really truly did not see that coming.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

He's probably going to forbid Annie from further visiting the Forest. Now that the Court has an official Medium to carry out such visits.

This may be a power play on the Headmaster's part. He knows that Coyote is fond of Annie (Or at least Amused by her). He may be acting under the assumption that Coyote has some scheme brewing, and is acting unpredictably in order to mess it up, or he may be trying to extract some promise or favor from Coyote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Based on the hubbub it seems to me that this "court" decision is really just one man's decision. Granted that one man is the boss, but it is telling that the other staff members (that we know of) not only appear unaware of this decision but appear to be against it as well.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Based on the hubbub it seems to me that this "court" decision is really just one man's decision. Granted that one man is the boss, but it is telling that the other staff members (that we know of) not only appear unaware of this decision but appear to be against it as well.
    The trouble is, we don't know who's running the Court. The Dolans may be the Court's Chief Scientists but it's clear they're low down on the totem pole, as are all the other teachers and staff. Eglamore as Dragon Slayer is higher but still obviously an Indian, not a Chief. Jones is awesome beyond human ken, but at best she's an adviser the Court can ignore and keep in the dark on things it feels she doesn't need to know about. We don't even know if the Headmaster is anything more than a mouthpiece. That might explain his apparent apathy; if you've just a puppet, why would YOU care what you've been told to say or do? I suspect finding out who or what is behind the curtain is going to be a real jolt. For us, AND everyone else...

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

So the "furthermore" wasn't that bad.

I have a question: why is this such a bad thing? Granted, Annie was the most qualified for the position, but given recent events, is it really so terrible that she won't have to deal with Coyote anymore?

I would have dreaded such an appointment after what happened with Ysengrin. Why does Annie seem like she's going to cry?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Based on Eglamore's use of "they" in the latest strip, I'd say it's not just the headmaster acting alone.

My conspiracy theorist senses tell me this is a way to cut off Annie's support as she tries to help ghostly Jeanne, as Parley and Smith will be busy with their new jobs.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2013-02-13 at 03:24 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Why does Annie seem like she's going to cry?
    She had seen her life set out before her, and it crumbled away in an instant. Her life will never be what she thought.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

10. - Top - End - #1270

"I... but..." is hardly a firm acceptance of a position. I find myself reminded of the other time someone said "Then it is settled".

And we all know how that went.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ettin in the Playground

Coyote is gonna throw a fit.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    "I... but..." is hardly a firm acceptance of a position. I find myself reminded of the other time someone said "Then it is settled".
    That let me find this. Poor Ysengrim, he can never take his experiences and grow stronger, and he knows it (or at least, knows Coyote can do it). That just made me sad all over again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Coyote is gonna throw a fit.
    That'd be interesting to see, but doesn't seem to match Coyote's style. I would think it more likely, if he finds this situation objectionable, he'll do something he'd consider funny to mess up the Headmaster's plans. Like remove Ysengrin from his role of the Forest's Medium and appoint Annie in his place. Meaning Smitty, Parley, and Annie will HAVE to visit the Forest together in the future, and she'll still be in the loop...

After all, how could the Court stop him from doing that?

It's also possible he'll accept this but continue insisting Annie visit him to tell him stories.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    That'd be interesting to see, but doesn't seem to match Coyote's style.
    Rebuttal. Second Rebuttal

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Firbolg in the Playground

So the "therefore" wasn't that bad.
    It's still a huge slap in the face to Annie. The headmaster is deliberately giving everyone a role as liason except her. His refusal to even acknowledge Annie amounts to a public censure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hrm. Annie's been visiting anyway, and if Coyote insists hard enough I don't think the Court can stop him.

It could be that the Court figured Smitty's ill-defined order power would be useful. As opposed to Annie, who was showing signs of being more at ease in the forest than the tech-based Court. Who also has a demon in her stuffed animal. And set a bridge on fire with her anger. And nearly got killed during one of her visits (don't think Eglamore would/could cover that one up).

It's clear that their previous plot to subvert Renard did not go very well. Maybe they decided to send a boring dude instead.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

So the "therefore" wasn't that bad.

I have a question: why is this such a bad thing? Granted, Annie was the most qualified for the position, but given recent events, is it really so terrible that she won't have to deal with Coyote anymore?

I would have dreaded such an appointment after what happened with Ysengrin. Why does Annie seem like she's going to cry?
    It's not what was done like HOW it was done.

If the headmaster summoned all three to a room, gave the jobs and explained to Annie that she is still too young and naive to be a representative of the court, that would have been fine.

Instead, the headmaster summoned everyone from both the court and the forest, and only then told who is chosen, even when everyone else (not just the kids) thought Annie is the natural choice.

I doubt the intention was to hurt Annie.
    Maybe it was a move against Coyote, or maybe it was done this way to give no options for appeals and protests.
    But whatever the reason was, Annie was publicly humiliated.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Worst bit, of course, is how she assumed it was her for the first few seconds. I mean, she could be said to have been acting humble if it had been her, but to assume that much that it was her, react as such while pretending it was a surprise in front of everybody? That face (last comic, not thisone) is exactly right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #1279

I get this feeling that something with her family is going to pop up here.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Yes, but that's just Coyote play acting to accomplish a goal. He was in full control all through that. And you'll note he DID get Annie to tell him the stories he wanted. But Coyote actually letting his emotions control him... No, I don't see it. If he throws a fit it will be a similar bit of acting. He's a Trickster God; manipulating people and turning the tables on them is what he DOES. In so far as his previous promises allow, if he feels like it, he's going to win this one...

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Can I just say I think the Headmaster is pretty cool right now?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, without even addressing her directly he gave it to her rough. She could use that implacable facade from her earlier years now.
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2013-02-15 at 01:26 AM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

23. - Top - End - #1283

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    "I... but..." is hardly a firm acceptance of a position.
    Like there is any way George is going to refuse to be Smitty's protector. Putting Andrew at risk guarantees Parley's loyalty and acquiescence.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

That is a very deliberate boredom.

I wonder if perhaps this was all intended to provoke some specific reaction from Coyote.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2013-02-15 at 03:05 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Jonathan is rocking. That is all.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Troll in the Playground

Coyote's getting involved. Or Ysengrin is being very out of character. Either way, I expect chaos.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Troll in the Playground

And there it is. They want Rey back under their control. That's what this is about. If Annie isn't going to be medium maybe she'll give up Rey? Is that what they hoped?

I can't even begin to speculate as to what Coyote is going to say about this. Aside from laughing hysterically obviously, since that was going to happen anyway regardless.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Real curious where this is gonna go.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

29. - Top - End - #1289

Zombie

This was *not* the reaction I expected. Sure, we knew that Coyote will try to walk all over those two. But that he is OK with them? What the heck?

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Troll in the Playground

Coyote is such the diplomat.

I hope he gives some - in fact, a lot of - attention to Annie so she doesn't feel left out, cast aside, jealous, so unhappy. And maybe does something to mess up the Headmaster's plan. Like appoint Annie co-medium on the Forest's side, so she HAS to come to the Forest with Mighty Eyebrows Boy and Huge Nose Girl (Parley is going to kill Coyote for that) to parlay...