New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

@ Miranda

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath nods once more and stands up.

"Then thats that. I believe the expedition will indeed be departing tomorrow. Please be here before mid-day. The trip to the sight is more or less 3 weeks give or take a little. We shall provide you with provisions off course but if you wish you can also bring along your own supplies... be aware that foraging in the Upperdark is possible but not as easy as on the surface..." he explains.

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath stands up and offers you his massive hand.

"Well then welcome aboard. Please be here before mid-day tomorrow and you shall be introduced to the rest of the group and set out." he says calmly.

@ Calden and Tra'vin

Spoiler
    Show

"Very well..." the goliath says and you notice his annoyed demeanour change a bit.

"I am glad then to offer you the job. Please complete these forms and feel free to ask any questions..." he says as he hands each one of you a document that requires name, last name, specialties/skills or special abilities and also asks for any current or former allegiances.

AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Not minding the conversation much as Tra'vin takes care of the boring stuff, he perks up a little bit as he starts to fill out the form.

Pausing while in the middle of the form he quickly asks. "Just to make sure, there's no rules against gambling while we're on this expedition right ?"

Handing in his form, he browses the room for a bit while his brother finishes up.

Name: Calden Kasper
    Special Skills: Can talk a pickpocket into giving over his own coin purse.
    A modest amount of personal spell casting.
    Can hide while being observed in the most unlikely of locations.

Allegiances: Brother
    No former Allegiances

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Orgen leaves to his quarters to dress up a bit. Being a barbarian, this means splashing some water on his face. He then sits down to make some notes and think about which story to tell at the dinner, that is the least he could do and quite frankly one of the only ways he knows how to show gratitude. After a while, he decides which story is appropriate.

When the time is there, Orgen leaves for the Grand Hall to attend the dinner. He waits for the Elder to make the announcement and then starts looking for a good moment to take the word, to adress his new friends and share his story.

Spoiler
    Show
    I actually wrote a short story, so please don't skip that part .

4. - Top - End - #94

@ Calden and Tra'vin

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath looks at you curiously.

"No, gambling is allowed. Remember to uphold the honour of the company though and not run from your debts and obligations!" he explains as he takes your form and looks it over.

"Everything seems in order..." he says and waits for your brother to give his.

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

The grand hall is a part of the temple that operates both as a dining room but also as a discussion hall for the senior clergy. In rare occasions meetings or dinners are held here and juniors are allowed to join in.

Apart from Elder Davin that gave you the mission at hand you even see at the top of the table Grand Savant Sandrew the Wise who is the leader of the Church in Waterdeep.

As you walk inside you see that two positions of honour have been left for you and one more person to the left and right of Sandrew and Elder Davin motions to you to go there and sit to the left and next to him and Sandrew.

"Please my friend, the floor is yours. Speak your mind and then we shall toast you and your bravery in the pursuit of knowledge!" he whispers softly.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Orgen nods and smiles an allows himself to be directed to and fro. When he arrives at his seat, he stands in front of it and waits for all to be seated. Still standing, he adresses the priests and monks present: "In most cultures, it is appropriate I hold some kind of speech. However, the lands I hail from are the lands of story tellers. Therefore, I would like to share a short story with you. I was told this story by one of our tribe shamans, Garth. A wise man who taught me much about mother nature and social behaviour." Orgen pauses a moment and then carries on.

"In the forests, far to the north, once lived a small family of brown bears. A mother with two cubs. The cubs would spend their days climbing the trees. For fun, but also to get at the nuts and berries before the birds and squirrels got to them. Ferocious as it's reputation may be, the appetite a brown bear has for the fruits of the forest is only matched by the elves. One day, the cubs found a small feline creature hidden amongst the branches. Anxious it ogled the cubs, who in return giggled and started chasing the creature out of the tree. On the ground, they would keep chasing and pestering the cat and have great fun at it. Mother bear spotted the scenery and told them to stop as she approached the young stray slowly."

" 'Tell me, kitten, where is your mother?'. Filled with fear, the youngster wept: 'I...I...don't know. Haven't seen her in days. Are you going to eat me?' Shaking and lost, the cat sat against a tree, ears drooping. 'Fear not, little one' the mother said 'I think you are a pretty creature, and I will protect and feed you untill we find your mother.' Her cubs never understood her motives. Under authority of mother, they accepted the presence of the cat and played with her. They would still make fun of her, though. The silly tail, her lack of appetite for nuts and berries and her physical weakness. Luckily the cat was swift and nimble, and she would beat them at the chase every time."

"Months past and, sadly, the kitten's mother was never found. The bear cubs grew bigger and bulkier, untill the moment came where they could no longer climb the trees. The cat grew to become a nimble and majestic snow leopard. Not even half the size of the bears, but with dexterity the bears could not dream of. The season started again, where the mighty trees of the forest would start producing their fruits and the bear cubs, now large and fat, sat on the ground, staring at the fruits and nuts and watching them being harvested by the small tree dwelling forest creatures. 'Brother, sister, I can go and grab some of those for you,' the leopard said and sped up the trees, collecting as many fruits as she could."

"Ever since that day, the bears and the leopard have been best friends, helping each other using their own specific qualities. Mother bear had foreseen this day and smiled as a silent witness, knowing she had learned both her cubs and a stranger an important lesson."

Orgen smiles and is sunken in thoughts a small moment before he takes a sip of his drink. "Did this story really happen? Well, I like to think so. It learned me an important lesson when I was young. I would just like to say, that I see you and your order as mother bear, adopting a man from northern wilds in your educated and civilized temple. I also hope that I can remain your snow leopard, your friend." Orgen raises his glass and nods: "Cheers, to knowledge and the lords that watch over us!" Orgen smiles while he sits down again and swiftly redirects his attention to arranging his cutlery. This is not the moment to get emotional if you want to maintain your barbarian reputation. Being taken in by this order and being trusted clearly means a lot to him.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Miranda bows and leaves, returning to the inn she had talked with Kethri at and buying a room for the night. She gets dinner in her room, eats it, and turns in early, figuring she'll want to be well-rested for what will most likely be a tough journey.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Our host was a little vague on the details of this journey. Perhaps you could cover the basics of the expedition?

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want I can metgame the response by reading what the others have already gleaned from him.

Name: Tra'vin Malki
    Special Skills: Spellcaster, Close Combatant
    Allegiances: Calden, Church of Kelemvor
    Something Wicked This Way Comes

Taalkar Strongstone Sheet Notes

8. - Top - End - #98

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Nicely done. Take another 100 xp as bonus.

The assembly seems very pleased and happy about the story and sentiments you have shared. Even the Grant Savant inclines his head towards your direction and asks that the festivity begin.

Yet the sit across you stays empty.

Overall through the dinner individuals, either learned scholars or bards of some repute come to you to wish you luck and also to praise you for your story and your bravery.

The food is ample and so is the drink and before long the usually quiet and reserved scholars find themselves singing or murmuring the words that the bards of the group are intoning.

@ Miranda

Spoiler
    Show

The food at the tavern is good and your sleep is undisturbed until the first rooster beckons the coming of the new day. It is around this time that there is a polite but firm knocking on your door.

@ Tra'vin and Calden

Spoiler
    Show

"A Judge eh?" he says as he takes your own completed form and shrugging he puts it next to the other and seals both of them with the company's official seal.

"Very well. The details are as follows. A particular ruined city, one that had been destroyed by flooding has resurfaced. Still big parts of it are under water but ever since we discovered it a few weeks ago more will be accessible. We do not expect you to explore the whole city though. The company has been given the right to explore, map and well... for lack of a better word loot, the city of relics, artifacts, information and other riches. Part of the valuables goes to the Company, a part belongs to Waterdeep, anything of historic or informative nature goes to the Church of Oghma and lastly each of you get a small share as well along with the usual monetary compensation of the company..." he explains.

"The dangerous are the usual ones in the Under-dark so I wont go into details but rejoice... I will shortly have an Underdark Guide arranged for you so you can expect to have some knowledgable eyes with you..." he concludes.

"Be here tomorrow before noon"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Rousing from her sleep, Miranda mutters an "I'll be right there" and crawls out of bed, dressed only in her billowy white tunic, which reaches perhaps halfway down her thighs. Running a hand through her tousled brown hair, she opens the door a crack and squints out at whoever knocked.

"Can I help you?" she mutters sleepily.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Orgen likes a good party. Or perhaps these men here would say 'brawl', so he makes sure he behaves himself, but that does not stop him from joining in the drinking, chanting and murmuring. Moreover, tomorrow is quite an important day. First impressions are important to a lot of people, so he had better be fit.

The empty sit has made him curious, though. As the festivities have somewhat advanced and the mood is light, Orgen approaches Savant Davin. "Savant Davin, I hope you don't mind I ask, but I am curious: The place across mine is empty. Is that a coincidence or is it a custom I am not aware of?"

11. - Top - End - #101

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

With care Estef takes the hand of the Goliath and presses it firmly and strongly, she is not really strong, but she has the firm hands of an archer.

-I'll be here. See you tomorrow brother.

She departs leaving the Bowels of Earth and heading to the temple of Mystra, adventuring into the Underdark is probably going to be a hard thing, first thing first pray to the Goddess for guidance and safety in her journey. Then she needs to find Kevan and perhaps do a little shoping of her own.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

12. - Top - End - #102

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

The Goliath watches you go.

You arrive at the temple in good time. At this time of day worshippers and acolytes are busying themselves in and around the temple. The place itself, the House of Wonder, as it is known, is also impressive and imposing... with its eternal flames and now powered down walls of force that block entry in cases of threat to the temple.

You are more suprised to see 3 young humans in crimson robes with shaved heads and tattoos walking down the steps of the temple under the watchful eye of a novice.

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

"It is both my friend..." the older man explains.

"The symbolism is given because on the temple of knowledge all are welcome and there is always room for one more guest that can share his knowledge with us... some say that the God may also wish to join us and as such preparations should be made to meet the needs!" he smiles at this last part.

"At current times though it is also the vacant seat of Savant Wargas... the man who was part of the expedition that actually discovered Multum and did not return... it is in his honour that the Bowels of the Earth included us in their request for the charter..."

@ Miranda

Spoiler
    Show

You see your bright eyed, elven friend as you open the door.

"I cant stay long... I am just here to drop off your blade and my best wishes!" he says with some urgency and places a wrapped bundle in your hands.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Miranda thanks Kethri, takes the wrapped sword and places it on her bed. She asks the elf to wait a moment and retrieves the shortsword he'd given her the night before, handing it back to him before he leaves. After he is gone, she starts washing up at the basin in the corner, gets dressed and ready for the day ahead, and heads down to the common room to settle her tab.

All her affairs settled, Miranda heads back to the Bowels of Earth company, mind abuzz with all the strange things she may soon be doing, wondering who else she'll be traveling with.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

That last bit of news shocked Orgen. Not so much because it told him how dangerous the job would be, but mostly to learn that these men had recently lost a good friend. "I am very sorry to hear that, Savant Davin. I can only hope to bring him honour in the coming months."

15. - Top - End - #105

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

Red wizards? Here? At the temple of the Goddess? What are they doing here? Estef tilts her head letting her hair fall free masking her features. She kneels in front of the Altar resting her head on her closed hands while she and Shiny listen with interest to whatever the Red wizards say.
    Currently playing:

16. - Top - End - #106

@ Miranda

Spoiler
    Show

Kethri thanks you for returning his shortsword and wishes you luck.

Your tab runs you 4 silver for the night and another 1 if you care for some breakfast.

You arrive at the company HQs first and are admitted without delay. Krel meets you at the room opposite where you saw him last time. This one is a small operations rooms with charts on the large oval table and a set of 9 chairs around it.

The goliath is conversing with a kobold dressed in loose clothes of earthen hues and looks very alert, having even turned his head towards you before you have entered the room.

"Greetings Miranda..." starts the goliath.

"Allow me to introduce you, your guide... PunPun of the Underdark Guides..." he says and adds "...provisional..."

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

"Indeed. Its actually a thing I wanted to mention... I do trust the Bowels of the Earth but keep your eyes open in case you find any clues that confirm his fate as outlines by Master Krel of the Bowels..." he explains.

"You see... as I had told you the Bowels of the Earth is supporting Waterdeep in various fronts, including one underground. One of their teams, lead by Master Krel, discovered the city having resurfaced. But they were not the first to do so... a group of drow had found it as well and as you can imagine a struggle followed. Finally Krel and his team overcome them and they assured us no survivors from the drow party evaded them but in that battle 2 of his men and Savant Wargas perished and given the morphology of the Underdark their bodies could not be retrieved... When Krel and his one remaining man returned The Bowels petitioned and were given charter but Krel was relieved of pursuing the ruins he himself had discovered which if I what I know about the Goliaths is true must be a huge insult and slight towards him..." he stops at this point to drain his cup of wine.

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

The Thayans are actually leaving rather than coming to the temple but as you pass by them you hear a small part of the conversation.

Red Wizard 1 "... wonderful. It means we can increase production 3 fold"
    Red Wizard 2 " Yes the master will be pleased. Praise be to the Lady of Magic" he says with just a hint of sarcasm.

The acolyte who is walking next to them stays impassionate at these statements and just gives you a wary look as you pass next to them on your way up.

You do know that the Red Wizard have opened small enclaves in many of Torils biggest cities and sell their wares which include low powered magical items.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

Orgen nods. "I would imagine so, yes. I will keep an eye out for possible clues. Are there any distinctive features I could recognize Savant Wargas by?"

18. - Top - End - #108

Zombie

Calden

Eyes lighting up at the description of where they'd be headed, clapping Tra'vin on the back.
    "Ha, a flooded ruin ! This sounds awesome, see you'd have never thought of doing something like this normally..You've gotta get out of your rut occasionally"

Yawning a moment as the day catches up with him he takes an obvious glance around before turning back to Krel for a quick question.

"Um, not to impose upon you, but I've been up playing cards for the last few days...I don't suppose you could point me towards a nice quiet corner and sleep for a few hours."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Enjoying her breakfast at the inn, knowing it may be the last of its kind for a while, Miranda then heads out towards the Trade Ward, really soaking in the scenery this time around, again because it may be the last of it for an unknown period of time. Arriving at the Bowels of Earth, she heads into the back room and bows when Krel introduces the kobold.

Spoiler
    Show
    PunPun is our guide? Damn DMPCs taking all the glory.

20. - Top - End - #110

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

The older man thinks for a moment before responding.

"Well... he was in his late forties and usually wearing more practical explorers outfits when on the field as he called it, thinning grey hair and a short grey beard that overall matched his grey eyes... He did carry with him a precious holy symbol of Oghma made from white gold that describes the tennets of the Church and was crafted in the House of Knowledge in Neverwinter."

@ Miranda

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Its just tongue in cheek... he is not THAT PunPun..... :D just a case of mistaken identity

The kobold steps forward and offers you his reptilian hand.

"Pleased to meet you miss!" he says in a soft squeaky voice that immidiatetly manages to irritate you.

Krel smiles as he points to the first map on the table.

"This is the route you will follow above ground. I would rather wait until everyone is assembled before we go on so I dont have to repeat everything many times. Apart from you and Punpun here there will be another 4 in the expedition... all capable people and members of the company..."

@ Calden and Tra'vin

Spoiler
    Show

Krel shrugs as you have the exchange between yourselves.

"Well actually there are 2-3 watering holes within 5 minutes or so here. Most of them only have common rooms where you can spend the night but since many traders frequent the market there are a few more upscale ones. It all depends on your price range..." he explains.

He then looks at Tra'vin before speaking again.

"But actually given your brothers religious belief if he will say a prayer and perform a small memorial service for our fallen brothers so that the Judge can ... well... process them along safely you can spend the night here. We do have a couple of rooms for visiting members and noone is occupying them right now..."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

"I see, thank you." Orgen takes a sip from his drink while making a mental note about Savant Wargas and looks around the room. "I hope I will be able to live up to the expectations."

22. - Top - End - #112

RedWizardGuy

I would be honored to bless them and perform the Passing. Kelemvor will surely embrace these new travelers on the road of the afterlife.

Tra'vin thinks for a moments, The end of the day approaches and I must soon pray. Just after the sun leaves the sky we can perform the ceremony. Tell me something of these dead men. When and where did they die?

23. - Top - End - #113

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

The rest of the festivity goes on calmly until after midnight. Some of the clerics depart at that time to offer their prayers while others stay along with some of the bards and those that are not divinely entwined with Oghma.

Tiredeness is starting to take its toll on you as you have been up since very early...

@ Calden and Tra'vin

Spoiler
    Show

The goliath thanks you.

"I will be off for now. I need to make arrangements for the guide your team will have... I shall return though so we can arrange the service." he explains and he takes you to show a simple room with 4 beds and 4 chests. It is overall very spartan but clean and tidy.

He also has a servant of the company bring you some bread, cheese and mead.

"My fallen comrades were with me when we discovered Multum... the city you are going. We were ambushed by a group of rogue drow that had also discovered the ruins. Two of my companions died there in that fight... two of my companions and a cleric of Oghma that had been my friend for over 15 years. Thankfully their sacrifice helped us destroy the drow and also survive the attack... their efforts have not gone unrecognised off course but a Passing from a cleric of the Judge is the right way to honour them..."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Orgen

It is getting late, so before the ale and lack of sleep turns into the first serious obstacle on this quest Danid heads to his bed. He makes sure to shake hands with and express his gratitude and determination to all monks and priests still present before he leaves.

Satisfied, Orgen goes to sleep anticipating the new day and the adventure. In the morning, he performs his prayers and packs his stuff. Before leaving he makes sure to visit at least Savant Davin to say goodbye, aiming to arrive at the 'Bowels' headquarter well in time.

25. - Top - End - #115

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

You wake up in time for first breakfast and you have time for your packing and prayers.

Elder Davin wishes you best of luck and opens a small iron box he has on his desk.

"This is a parting gift from me. I once used to walk about the wilderness seeking knowledge and I can only pass it along and wish you best of luck into the darkness!" he says.

In the small box you see 2 rolls of bandages that the man explains will instantly stop bleeding when applied. Further more there is a pouch with 4 shining white pellets. He tells you that those are daylight pellets which can be crashed underfoot to create a bright light, as strong as daylight as he says, for a whole minute.

The last thing in the box is a foul smelling leathery rope...

Spoiler
    Show

Basically you now have 2 blessed bandages, 4 daylight pellets and a trollgut rope.

The old man does not allow for any objections to taking those indicating he doesnt have need for them any more and are best if someone young and adventurous uses them!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh, that's a pretty gross item, and cool at the same time

Orgen

"Thank you very much. I am sure these items will be of great use!" Orgen ponders a moment. "So...is there anything I should know about this rope?"

27. - Top - End - #117

ElfRangerGuy

Estef

For a second she considers following the Thayans but that should wait. Their presence only works to exarcebate Kevan's point, something needs to be done about them. Thayans in the city was one thing, but Thayans in the temple was a completely different one, and those comments they are unto something and probably nothing good, no, no good can come from them.

Estef finishes her praying and leaves to find the priest that had embarked her in that quest, after he had reunited the items she should be able to get a night of sleep and join the Bowels of Earth at the appointed time.
    Currently playing:

28. - Top - End - #118

RedWizardGuy

Calden thanks the goliath and settles into the small room for the night.

Before starting his prayers he comments to Calden, We should be safe enough here. Don't make me use the manacles He eyes calden threateningly.

29. - Top - End - #119

Zombie

Calden

Pulling off his slightly dusty shirt, taking a second to knock the dust off it before hanging it off the bed before finally removing his chain shirt he had on under it.

"Damn that feels better, you don't have to worry about me tonight brother...I'll sleep like a overfed goat"

Flopping onto the bed he quickly falls asleep.

30. - Top - End - #120

@ Estef

Spoiler
    Show

You meet Kevan waiting at the time you agreed at the place you agreed. (Cant actually recall if you set a location, I assume you did).

He is looking left and right impatiently as you approach and he brightens up when you get to him. He hands you a small sack that feels quite heavy and nods once.

"Good luck..." he whispers as he departs.

@ Orgen

Spoiler
    Show

"You're welcome my friend. The rope is... well... a souvenir from an encounter with a troll. Its made from part of his regenerating body and it makes for an excellent replenishing rope..." he explains a bit embarassed.

@ Tra'vin and Calden

Spoiler
    Show

Calden rests his weary head and the tiredeness along with the alcohol he has consumed quickly put him to a deep sleep.

Meanwhile Tra'vin rests for a couple of hours before he is asked to join the Goliath and another young human man to a side room to perform the ceremony. They tell you the names of their dead are Isten Littlefoot and Aeric Bergof and that they were brave beyond words.