New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    You're clearly not paranoid enough.
    Exactly: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously not everyone is going to take Petey's offer here, but I would be surprised if no one did. So who do you think is ready for early retirement?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2013-01-17 at 04:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously not everyone is going to take Petey's offer here, but I would be surprised if no one did. So who do you think is ready for early retirement?
    [Spoiler]
    I kind of doubt it. The retirement offer seemed more like a Punchline to me. Karl Tagon is likely to end up in one of Petey's habitats, but I kind of doubt any of the Toughs will, not unless Howard feels like opening up some slots in the Chain of Command.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #664
    Orc in the Playground

Did anyone else see that coming? Because I sure didn`t.
    There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.'
    Schlock Mercenaries

5. - Top - End - #665
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I really hope this isn't building up to an announcement that Shlock Mercenary is ending its run.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I really hope this isn't building up to an announcement that Shlock Mercenary is ending its run.
    No, I don't think so. There's plenty of room for more story without the further adventures of Tagon's Toughs, even in the worst case scenario.

If the Toughs dissolve, frankly I suspect it'd be because Taylor wanted to dispense some characters who were only around because there was no reason to get rid of them, off to some reasonably satisfactory retirement, like he did with Der Trihs, Nick and Shep.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ettin in the Playground

I find it hard to believe that this is Karl's retirement, or at least his permanent one. Much as he'd hate to admit it, he's got a hero's heart somewhere deep, deep, deep down under all that money-grubbing. And there's too much going on now for him to just ignore it.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2013-01-19 at 01:09 AM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Toughs kept going before without Tagon (he died once, remember?) so why should they stop now, even if Tagon retires? Not that I think he's likely to, mind you.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

he'll TRY to retire but accidently stumble on some UNS black ops project and end up causing an even bigger mess than he would if he wasn't trying to be a civilian. Peetey will then give him a ship as a way of minimizing the colateral damage.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

I hope so, too, but I think that there are far too many loose ends for it to reach that point quite yet.

*Fights down rising sense of panic*
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

11. - Top - End - #671
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    I hope so, too, but I think that there are far too many loose ends for it to reach that point quite yet.

*Fights down rising sense of panic*
    Worry not, fellow Schlock fans. Howard has already said that June 12th, 2012 was the start of Act 3 of the comic. We've got around 5 to 7 more major story arcs to go (including this Broken Wind arc).
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Firbolg in the Playground

Howard said something about knowing when the comic would end, let me look it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Thalnawr View Post
    Worry not, fellow Schlock fans. Howard has already said that June 12th, 2012 was the start of Act 3 of the comic. We've got around 5 to 7 more major story arcs to go (including this Broken Wind arc).
    Oh, look, somebody found it already. While I will be sad when Schlock comes to an end, there is a limit to how long I will believe the Toughs can dodge the karmic doom they have built up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Oh, look, somebody found it already. While I will be sad when Schlock comes to an end, there is a limit to how long I will believe the Toughs can dodge the karmic doom they have built up.
    Yes, that's probably true. Having the UNS as a deadly enemy kind of limits your lifespan, I'd think.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #674

BlackDragon

Yes, that's probably true. Having the UNS as a deadly enemy kind of limits your lifespan, I'd think.
    Not necessarily if you never go into UNS space--they'd be perfectly safe in Petey's territory, for instance, so long as the Pa'anuri don't break through; and if the Pa'anuri do, well, doesn't matter where in the galaxy you happen to be, you're probably not going to survive it!

15. - Top - End - #675
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Frankly I think part of the reason this is happening is the Toughs are too small-time to be the focus of the events that are going on right now. They need to get eyes into the inner workings of some of the big players. That can't happen while the focus is on a small cruiser and its hapless crew. They were the first cause of a lot of the story, but the story itself has passed that small mercenary company by, and Howard may feel he needs to get that company out of the way so the actual story has a chance to be told.

As for Petey's own motivations? I strongly suspect that he's found that he can predict just about everyone in the universe accurately except the Toughs. Something about them tends to introduce a lot of chaos into his machinations and he'd rather put them someplace safe while he goes about fixing everything and saving the universe. At least until he's found a situation where he legitimately needs to introduce a bit of chaos into the equation again.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2013-01-20 at 09:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a problem with that big players thing, and that is the name of the strip. Tagon may or may not leave, but we'll keep following schlock, the strip is named after him.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

17. - Top - End - #677
    Troll in the Playground

I suspect Petey motives is simply that he wants to protect people he considers friends, but he know he can't spare the energy to break them from another UNS battleplate (it happened twice already already , he's a 'three strikes' guy)
    So he's offering them a chance to walk out where he can keep an eye on them and protect them from UNS silencing.

There's a problem with that big players thing, and that is the name of the strip. Tagon may or may not leave, but we'll keep following schlock, the strip is named after him.
    MAybe we'll be following the adventures of Shafter's shifters now on ?

Yeah I doubt so.
    (Mind you, I'd read it. They look lice there'd be occasion for nice throwbacks to the smaller funnier earlier days of the comic. But they look like 'hardprint bonus storry' material)

Most likely the Tough will have to spring in action for some reason weither they like it or not.

I'm disapointed at Petey here, I though he was more genre savvy. Last time the Toughs tried to just enjoy a vaccation, the end of the galaxy happened, think of what will happen if they start considering retirement ?!
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2013-01-20 at 10:43 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Wait, Schlock is TROLLING Petey?

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ettin in the Playground

I cannot believe that nobody has made this joke yet.

No Schlock, you are the career sociopath.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The_Admiral View Post
    I cannot believe that nobody has made this joke yet.

No Schlock, you are the career sociopath.
    And then Schlock was a mercenary?

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Wait, Schlock is TROLLING Petey?
    Heh, yeah.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know it has been showed before he hasn't much social skills and it's been a while since he had shown his own sociopathic side. He might have been genuinely clueless about what Petey meant here.
    (At least today strip seems to show it this way)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2013-01-22 at 07:19 AM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

It's looking increasingly unlikely that Tagii is the one in charge of the maraca.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

I suspect this "retirement" arc is a way to remove Petey's Deus ex Machina properties smoothly, both in-comic and out. If he makes the generous offer of a comfortable retirement, and the Toughs refuse, then Petey will no longer be seen as having a significant impetus to pull their fat out of the fire, when he needs that energy to fight his war.

25. - Top - End - #685

BlackDragon

I think it's more likely Howard wants to mix up the team and get a few new characters in to stop it becoming stale. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Thurl accepts the retirement offer, given what happened to him during the Oisri arc! (Bit surprised we haven't seen him again--surely the Doctor has had time to regrow him a new body by now?).

26. - Top - End - #686
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like Tagii is quite handily restrained by Ennesby. Survivor and prisoner, rather than mole, or so it seems to me.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #687

BlackDragon

Looks like Tagii is quite handily restrained by Ennesby. Survivor and prisoner, rather than mole, or so it seems to me.
    I agree, but the question then becomes, why does Ennesby want to keep Tagii around without telling anyone? I suppose he could always ask her for tactical advice if necessary, but it isn't likely the Toughs will put him in a position where that would be useful.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

It could simply be out of pity. If he told anyone you can be sure she'd get ereased fast. (and understandably so).
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2013-01-26 at 12:08 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, I figure it was just a bit of AI to AI mercy.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Speaking of mercy, it might be advantageous of Ennesby to hand Tagii over to Petey right now. She won't die, she'll get to disappear entirely (even she's got to admit she's very vulnerable in Ennesby's mind), and she'll have access to all the power Petey has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.