New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Hobbit Film... trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    At the end of the day, it all comes down to the fact that it's a vast departure from the framerates of other movies, while coming closer to the framerate of what soap operas operate at. So anything at that speed gets associated with the general low-quality of soap operas, which are low-quality for completely different reasons that involve not having enough time to build great sets or set up cinematic-level lighting.
    this

of course... now that we have the technology... movies are going to HAVE to get better
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

My, probably limited, understanding of the FPS issue was to do with how the Human eye worked.
    At the 24FPS cinema is normally shot in the human eye fills in the 'blanks' giving a fluid motion with a lot of flaws being smoothed out simply by how our eye works.
    But at the 48FPS the Hobbit is being shot in some of those 'blanks' are now filled in for us, which can potentially draw attention to those flaws that our eyes previously glossed over. Essentially sharpening any imperfections in the set.

At least that's how it was explained to me

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

If 48 FPS is so new-fangled/ high-quality/ experimental... why the heck are low-budget soap operas using it, but yet Hollywood movies are using old tech running at half the speed???

I do not follow soap opera culture at all, so pardon me if it's well-known knowledge or something.
    Last edited by MLai; 2012-09-04 at 09:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    If 48 FPS is so new-fangled/ high-quality/ experimental... why the heck are low-budget soap operas using it, but yet Hollywood movies are using old tech running at half the speed???

I do not follow soap opera culture at all, so pardon me if it's well-known knowledge or something.
    Because films have been stuck in 24 fps forever while the home video camera shot straight past. This leaves us with the unfortunate implication that good framerates look like home videos.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #335
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Because films have been stuck in 24 fps forever while the home video camera shot straight past. This leaves us with the unfortunate implication that good framerates look like home videos.
    Yeah, I noticed that with some films in HD on a proper HDTV. It's almost surreal, but indeed, makes anything fake look really fake.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rules Lawyer #1 View Post

Except that these are no "ordinary" orcs. They are Uruk-Hai. Their shields are broad, their armor thick. Moreover, they are specially "bred" to be more resistant to sunlight by Saruman and Sauron. The movie takes some creative license in showing what Saruman is doing. The book doesn't exactly describe what Saruman does to create them, yet that doesn't make the pod theory nonsense. After all, Saruman is a wizard. So how does a wizard make stronger orcs?
    That doesn't change the fact that that method was invented for the movies, as the method by which they were bred is never mentioned. I didn't say it was a horrible depiction, I actually kind of liked it as a concept. I referred to it as nonsense because I'm sick of so many people insisting that all orcs are born that way, when none are in the source material.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

As I recall, in the book, Gandalf mentions in a random aside that he suspects Saruman has been breeding Orc-human hybrids.
    And then they moved on to other topics.

Leaving the teenage me to ponder the utterly horrific implications.

Now I prefer to think the Uruk-Hai came into being exactly the way the movie depicted it.

All numbers are grammatically correct

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
    As I recall, in the book, Gandalf mentions in a random aside that he suspects Saruman has been breeding Orc-human hybrids.
    And then they moved on to other topics.

Leaving the teenage me to ponder the utterly horrific implications.

Now I prefer to think the Uruk-Hai came into being exactly the way the movie depicted it.
    Like this:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rules Lawyer #1 View Post
    stuff
    I disagree with almost everything you say in this post except for the +1 on the guitaraxe..
    but it mostly comes down to personal preference, so I'll keep it at that without going on a point by point rebuttal/reply.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

10. - Top - End - #340
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    That doesn't change the fact that that method was invented for the movies, as the method by which they were bred is never mentioned. I didn't say it was a horrible depiction, I actually kind of liked it as a concept. I referred to it as nonsense because I'm sick of so many people insisting that all orcs are born that way, when none are in the source material.
    "bred from the heats and slimes of the earth" was used very early on in Tolkien's writings, but he moved on from it fairly quickly.

There were a lot of origins he speculated on- uplifted animals, men, elves, incarnate Maiar, and so forth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc_(Middle-earth)
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2012-09-05 at 06:39 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Anything outside the Silmarillion (which was mostly completed before Christopher Tolkein got ahold of it) or LOTR/Hobbit proper, must be considered as canonical as Trotter or Bungo, son of Bilbo. The fragments of writing that C used in the History of Middle Earth series were just that. Fragments. According to the prefaces, it was often impossible to tell how old a given fragment was, let alone how seriously his father considered the idea.

Fangorn describes trolls as "only counterfeits, made by the Enemy in the Great Darkness, in mockery of Ents, as Orcs were of Elves." This suggests the "corrupted elves" version, even without resorting to the Silmarillion. Once you go to that book, it's explicit.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I had always assumed Saruman had perfected some Middle-earth version of the cloning facilities seen in Star Wars. Clones, after all, are made from humans that can reproduce naturally but that doesn't stop an evil supervillain in need of an army from cloning mass numbers of them.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

13. - Top - End - #343

The theme of Saruman was that he had shifted his focus from natural things, and towards industrial things.
    While it is entirely possible that he represents the industrial method of producing soldiers (highly regimented lives), it is possible that he represents the industrial methods applied to the production of soldiers. Not stated directly of course, but implied. Think factory as opposed to natural development. So cloning 'pods' or anything similar does sound like it fits the character's theme.

(I may be applying more of Peter Jacksons' interpretation of Saruman rather than Tolkien's, it has been quite a few years since I read any of the books)
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

14. - Top - End - #344

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    The theme of Saruman was that he had shifted his focus from natural things, and towards industrial things.
    While it is entirely possible that he represents the industrial method of producing soldiers (highly regimented lives), it is possible that he represents the industrial methods applied to the production of soldiers. Not stated directly of course, but implied. Think factory as opposed to natural development. So cloning 'pods' or anything similar does sound like it fits the character's theme.

(I may be applying more of Peter Jacksons' interpretation of Saruman rather than Tolkien's, it has been quite a few years since I read any of the books)
    Im pretty sure in the books treebeard talks about how saruman has changed, where he once walked the entwood and appreciated nature, his mind is now focused on metal and machinery, or something to that effect. The status of orthanc and its surrounding land is more proof, it wasnt just in the movies that saruman basically had his troops tear down everything and even start chopping up fangorn forest. He went full industrial effort and destroyed all nature around him. He clear cut the trees, dammed the river, His underground caverns vented steam and fumes at all hours of the day and night, likely poisoning the earth and sky around him.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #345

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im pretty sure in the books treebeard talks about how saruman has changed, where he once walked the entwood and appreciated nature, his mind is now focused on metal and machinery, or something to that effect.
    Ah. I was uncertain if that was movie treebeard or book treebeard at that point.

The status of orthanc and its surrounding land is more proof, it wasnt just in the movies that saruman basically had his troops tear down everything and even start chopping up fangorn forest. He went full industrial effort and destroyed all nature around him. He clear cut the trees, dammed the river, His underground caverns vented steam and fumes at all hours of the day and night, likely poisoning the earth and sky around him.
    Exactly.
    So my figuring based on that theme is that maybe Tolkien left the orc production vague on purpose. Maybe he wanted us to imagine some industrial Sci-fi horror (vat grown soldiers) on our own. Leaving it to our imagination is sometimes the book equivilant to "show, don't tell" as it were.

16. - Top - End - #346

Yeah I am honestly unsure if all the destruction saruman caused to his area was solely to setup his war machine. Meaning he needed to make enough armor and weaponry for his vast army, and making 10k swords, 10k breastplates, 10k etc etc etc, takes either a lot of time, or a lot of people working together. He had a lot of people working for him, but had to bring in an insane amount of raw materials and create a lot of space for them to work in. So he strip mined the surrounding area for every resource and then spread out into fangorn when that wasnt enough. Which is what led to his downfall since it was cutting down fangorn forest trees that pissed off the ents so much.

I dont know if his uruk hai were suggested to be created by some pod person process or just some insane cross breeding experiment that involved using thousands of slaves and such.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

To my mind Saruman in the movie is a thoroughly modern villain. He uses genetic engineering to create the 'perfect' soldier. He mass-produces both the soldiers themselves through cloning and their equipment through industry. His troops are trained in regiments and are equipped with plate armor as well as Falchions -- weapons that are very simple, very intuitive, but very powerful in the hnads of the Uruk-hai. They carry crossbows and they carry black powder, technological wonder weapons.

Saruman, in other words, represents a particular approach to the power of the Ring. Someone so consumed with monsters that they have become the monster themselves. It's precisely this attitude Gandalf warns against when he cautions that one who took the ring to use as a weapon would become so much like the Dark Lord it would make no difference to the peoples of the world.

Saruman didn't need a ring to become corrupt. Instead, he chose the path of wisdom over faith. He selected only those tactics, strategies, and purposes most likely to gain a martial victory over the Enemy, which meant he adopted pretty much all the Enemy's methods. Rather than place his hope in hobbit friendship and a fool's hope, he carefully calculated the probabilities and made what we might call a scientific strategy. It was overthrown because of things he had completely left out of his mechanistic, industrial mindset.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Aside from needing room and iron ore, making enough steel to outfit that army would require massive amounts of charcoal, which in turn requires even more massive amounts of hardwood. So there are plenty of good reasons he needed to bulldoze Fangorn.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    To my mind Saruman in the movie is a thoroughly modern villain. He uses genetic engineering to create the 'perfect' soldier. He mass-produces both the soldiers themselves through cloning and their equipment through industry. His troops are trained in regiments and are equipped with plate armor as well as Falchions -- weapons that are very simple, very intuitive, but very powerful in the hnads of the Uruk-hai. They carry crossbows and they carry black powder, technological wonder weapons.

Saruman, in other words, represents a particular approach to the power of the Ring. Someone so consumed with monsters that they have become the monster themselves. It's precisely this attitude Gandalf warns against when he cautions that one who took the ring to use as a weapon would become so much like the Dark Lord it would make no difference to the peoples of the world.

Saruman didn't need a ring to become corrupt. Instead, he chose the path of wisdom over faith. He selected only those tactics, strategies, and purposes most likely to gain a martial victory over the Enemy, which meant he adopted pretty much all the Enemy's methods. Rather than place his hope in hobbit friendship and a fool's hope, he carefully calculated the probabilities and made what we might call a scientific strategy. It was overthrown because of things he had completely left out of his mechanistic, industrial mindset.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    this is one of the reasons that LOTr always appealed to me! it still relevant!
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Aside from needing room and iron ore, making enough steel to outfit that army would require massive amounts of charcoal, which in turn requires even more massive amounts of hardwood. So there are plenty of good reasons he needed to bulldoze Fangorn.
    There is never a good enough reason to chop down trees that may randomly decide to step on you if you try.

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Fangorn describes trolls as "only counterfeits, made by the Enemy in the Great Darkness, in mockery of Ents, as Orcs were of Elves." This suggests the "corrupted elves" version, even without resorting to the Silmarillion. Once you go to that book, it's explicit.
    With the proviso that "This is held by the Wise" - it's an in-universe view, not "direct author statement".

Frodo says "I don't think it (The Shadow) created the orcs- only ruined and twisted them"- first allusion to the idea that the orcs weren't "made in mockery of the elves" but are actually "ruined and twisted" from what they originally were.

Which the Silmarillion continues.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

When Frodo said that, I think the implication is that Tolkien doesn't want readers to think that his Satan-equivalent is capable of creating anything, even twisted abominations. The creation of life must be the providence of his Abrahmic-God-equivalent.

But I never had the feeling that he meant every orc was born an elf; there wouldn't be enough elves in ME to make that many orcs. They must have reproduced sexually.

But I don't think female orcs exist. I personally think orcs are all male, and propagate their peculiar species via impregnating other humanoid females. Goblins too. Trolls... even I don't want to think about...

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

When Frodo said that, I think the implication is that Tolkien doesn't want readers to think that his Satan-equivalent is capable of creating anything, even twisted abominations. The creation of life must be the providence of his Abrahmic-God-equivalent.

But I never had the feeling that he meant every orc was born an elf; there wouldn't be enough elves in ME to make that many orcs. They must have reproduced sexually.

But I don't think female orcs exist. I personally think orcs are all male, and propagate their peculiar species via impregnating other humanoid females. Goblins too. Trolls... even I don't want to think about...
    I'm thinking that we're underestimating the passing of time
    my guess is that orcs and such have been around for a couple of centuries..which does mean that at the very least the "current" (to LOTR) generations are orcs, offspring of other orcs.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I don't think so either. I think orcs bear the same relationship to elves that Pit Bulls due to Golden Retrievers -- they are both the same species, but through careful breeding for selected traits one is a dedicated killer attack machine (although it can, with effort, be trained NOT to rip your throat out all in one go) while the other is a somewhat floppy creature which is capable of hunting and killing but is more than that.

Tolkien predates genetic enhancement and genetic engineering, but farmers have been doing that sort of thing for millenia before the letters DNA meant anything. Race horses are bred for speed while workhorses are bred for power, dogs can be bred for hunting or as housepets or as guide animals, pigs are bred to have no tusks but to yield more meat, and so on.

I think it's the same thing. Perhaps orcs and elves once had a common ancestor, as all the different breeds of horse descend from Equus Ferus . Perhaps elves ARE the common ancestor. But just because they are so closely genetically related that they can produce fertile offspring does not mean there are no differences in physical ability and temperament between them.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I'm thinking that we're underestimating the passing of time
    my guess is that orcs and such have been around for a couple of centuries..which does mean that at the very least the "current" (to LOTR) generations are orcs, offspring of other orcs.
    LotR happens ~7000 years after the Sun first rose and Orcs had been around for quite some time before that (~400 "Valian Years", but it's hard to gauge how long that is exactly since we don't have a frame of reference before the Years of the Sun began - generally, Tolkien's references to them indicate that Valian Years are longer than Solar Years; anywhere from about 10 times to 144 times as long).
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't remember exactly where (Might've been LOTRO, now that I think about it), but I remember reading that orcs (read: goblins) were elves that had been captured by the Enemy long, long ago and tortured until they'd lost their purity, to fill the ranks of the Enemy's army. All orcs of today are descendants of these original orcs. Even if it's not canon, it is supported by (as was stated earlier) Fangorn/Treebeard explaining that trolls were created by the Enemy to challenge the strength of Ents.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

27. - Top - End - #357

I like the notion that most of the origin stories are true in part- there are Maiar orc captains (or at least, descendants of Maiar/orc breeding) among them- and the rank-and-file are part-elf, part-human (with the Uruk-hai having a higher proportion of human blood than most)- and so forth.

Not sure about trolls- those could be the descendants of corrupted Ents? Or something along those lines.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2012-09-07 at 11:15 AM.

28. - Top - End - #358

Worth noting that I do believe the Enemy in question is not Sauron, but Sauron's boss Morgoth who was Melkor, back in the Silmarillion: Sauron was just Morgoth's lieutenant back then. Fairly certain that the orcs and such descend from one of Morgoth's creations, rather than Sauron's....
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #359

Yup. I think there might have been notes that suggested that Sauron played a big part in the project, on Morgoth's orders, though.

The idea that Morgoth could create nothing that had life of its own (or even the semblance of life) and could only "ruin and twist" is voiced by Frodo in LoTR and repeated (with the proviso "so say the wise") in The Silmarillion.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2012-09-07 at 11:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds like the Dothraki refrain "It is known." Which generally means that it has no basis in reality.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.