New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    As I said, if he casts another 5th or 6th level spell, then either his wisdom is higher or he is level 12(+).
    Actually, we already know this, from analysis of his spells he casted before(I have written it in this thread a page or so ago). But this "or" is too complicated to include it to his sheet I guess, so maybe it's best to wait.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Orc in the Playground

Surprisingly to some, but not to others, Durkon has no eighth-level spells.
    Last edited by Dr. Gamera; 2013-03-01 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Because I can indeed spell "eighth".

3. - Top - End - #573
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does the most recent comic provide us with enough evidence to declare Malack Evil?

4. - Top - End - #574
    Colossus in the Playground

I think this last comic removed all remaining doubt--Malack's evil.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    Surprisingly to some, but not to others, Durkon has no eighth-level spells.
    Which means Durkon is no higher than 14th level which means that Belkar is 15th level.

Edit: And Zz'dtri as well.
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2013-03-01 at 03:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Yep, Malack is Evil, and Lawful with all that "we all are slaves" and the servitude to a higher being part.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Which means Durkon is no higher than 14th level which means that Belkar is 15th level.

Edit: And Zz'dtri as well.
    Rich thought Mass Death Ward was a homebrewed 8th level spell, not an official 7th level one.

Although I've always thought the "let's judge Belkar's level based on the number of attacks in what we're assuming to be a round in a comedic fight scene" was always somewhat flimsy.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Malack is Lawful Evil, if 875 is any indicator.

9. - Top - End - #579

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    Rich thought Mass Death Ward was a homebrewed 8th level spell, not an official 7th level one.
    You've got it backwards. He didn't realize there was an official 8th level Mass Death Ward and was eyeballing the homebrew spell he was creating at 7th level.
    Although I've always thought the "let's judge Belkar's level based on the number of attacks in what we're assuming to be a round in a comedic fight scene" was always somewhat flimsy.
    Me too. Extremely.

10. - Top - End - #580

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    You've got it backwards. He didn't realize there was an official 8th level Mass Death Ward and was eyeballing the homebrew spell he was creating at 7th level.
    To further comment on this, if Mass Death Ward were considered to be an 8th level spell by The Giant, then Durkon would have another 8th level spell to cast. Which he said this strip he does not.

Additionally, Durkon has cast (or has prepared) five 6th level spells: 6th – extended true seeing, find the path, heal (2) and Planar Ally
    A cleric of 14th level can only cast 3 spells plus the domain spell. Which means Durkon's wisdom score is at least 22 to have that bonus spell.
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2013-03-01 at 03:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Firbolg in the Playground

It is. But certainly we have no proof that it wasn't a one-round full attack. And Durkon's latest statement doesn't change this; he could easily have used his Level 8 slot(s) to cast a Level 7 spell today.

Or he could have cast one off-screen, but I grant that's a flimsier possibility.

After all, we've seen V cast Level 8 spells a whopping twice or so. And that's over hundreds of strips since (s)he first demonstrated the ability. EDIT: Mis-remembered V's leveling schedule.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2013-03-01 at 03:40 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

12. - Top - End - #582

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    And Durkon's latest statement doesn't change this; he could easily have used his Level 8 slot(s) to cast a Level 7 spell today.
    That's fair. Durkon has cast/prepared four 7th level spells, which barring a wisdom score of at least 24 would mean he could be 15th level. Except that would only account for one 8th level spell slot. And Durkon, has said he doesn't have any higher level spells that can help with the fight. (Since Resurrection, Planar Ally and Thor's Might cannot be cast.)

So I think that is a point against Durkon being 16th level.
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2013-03-01 at 04:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Banned

Reposted from the Durkon Spells thread:

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    The tally now stands at:

8th
    7thholy wordD, mass death ward, resurrection (2)
    6thextended true seeing, find the path, heal (2), planar ally
    5ththor's might, true seeing
    4thcure critical wounds
    3rddispel magic, mass resist energy, meld into stone, remove blindness/deafness, speak with dead, thor's lightningD
    2ndcure moderate wounds, hold person (2), remove paralysis
    1stcure light wounds, divine favor
    0 (at-will)detect poison, guidance

...plus at least two healing spells of unknown (though probably fifth) level.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

So we are changing Malack's alignment to Evil, no?
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

15. - Top - End - #585

DwarfFighterGuy

On a somewhat unrelated note, I've recently been playing a spontaneous divine caster, and keep wanting to say Durkon has ___ before remembering that Clerics do not work that way.

16. - Top - End - #586

MindFlayer

I have doubts that even Divine Favor is enough to enable Durkon to reliably penetrate Malack's DR. I suspect he's Power Attacking.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    I have doubts that even Divine Favor is enough to enable Durkon to reliably penetrate Malack's DR. I suspect he's Power Attacking.
    Doesn't need to be reliable to penetrate. And we don't even know if it did yet.

On the subject of his level/wis- I think the assumptions for how many spell slots he has based on things he has stated he COULD cast are more than a little shaky. He could easily be planning to cast those spells from scrolls. He references being able to cast Planar Ally 5 or 6 times with a new stock of spells, but that may very well include higher level spell slots used to memorize the spell, or a scroll.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

While the latest comic does show Malack is unquestionably LE, I'm actually against adding that to the thread. Given the issues with alignment and these forums, I don't think declaring character alignment without an explicit statement in-comic or from the Giant is a precedent we want to set.

19. - Top - End - #589

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    While the latest comic does show Malack is unquestionably LE, I'm actually against adding that to the thread. Given the issues with alignment and these forums, I don't think declaring character alignment without an explicit statement in-comic or from the Giant is a precedent we want to set.
    You've got to be kidding.

20. - Top - End - #590

MindFlayer

Vampires are Always Evil, which means that exceptions are incredibly rare. The character just admitted to wishing to run an empire built on slavery and human (sapient) sacrifice.

Lawful might still be up for debate (not really, but we don't have as strong in-system evidence), but Evil? Short of a declaration by the Giant, there's pretty much no evidence that could possibly show he's not Evil.
    Last edited by Da'Shain; 2013-03-01 at 05:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

With the alignment debates this forum is disposed to, anything that breaks the "no alignment in the stats thread without mechanical proof or an explicit statement of fact by the character" rule could open the door to a lot of, "well, Redcloak is clearly Lawful Neutral, it's every bit as obvious as Malack being Lawful Evil."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

22. - Top - End - #592
    Banned

Daemon

I propose Durkon has a wisdom of 22+. You people are saying he doesn't because he burnt his find the path, extended true seeing, 2 heals and Katy is unusable. But Durkon actually used 3 heals.

Here is YukYuk being injured by running up stairs. Ouch. That is a lot of damage. But by 841 its all gone from the Kobold. Therefore, Durkon spent a 3rd heal

23. - Top - End - #593

He could have used multiple Cure spells.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

24. - Top - End - #594
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    He could have used multiple Cure spells.
    look at all that damage, he must have spent over 11d8 worth of healing spells. Here is a comparison, where Redcloak is equally wounded.. Its not practical.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    look at all that damage, he must have spent over 11d8 worth of healing spells. Here is a comparison, where Redcloak is equally wounded.. Its not practical.
    He could also have cast heal from a scroll. It's off-panel, we don't know.

26. - Top - End - #596

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    If he has power attack, a flat-footed target with significant DR wearing no evident armor and with no good reason to have a meaningful dex bonus would be pretty much the idea time to use it.

In addition, depending on exactly what kind of hammer he's using, it might do non-physical bonus damage which ignores DR innately.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    So we are changing Malack's alignment to Evil, no?
    I certainly hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    With the alignment debates this forum is disposed to, anything that breaks the "no alignment in the stats thread without mechanical proof or an explicit statement of fact by the character" rule could open the door to a lot of, "well, Redcloak is clearly Lawful Neutral, it's every bit as obvious as Malack being Lawful Evil."
    Yeah, this is pretty much my reason. I don't see any rational way that this kind of argument could be made, but then it's not like most of the people arguing (say) Belkar is Chaotic Neutral are being particularly rational in the first place.

It's just not a healthy precedent to set.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It's just not a healthy precedent to set.
    This. I don't think there's any real doubt that Malack is evil, but listing it now would raise the question of where do we draw the line. As is, we've been using a policy of "game mechanic or explicit in character statement from someone who would know" (plus Word of Giant, but that goes for everything), and Malack still doesn't satisfy that.

If anyone has a suggestion for an equally clear policy standard that would list Malack as Evil, I'd like to hear it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

30. - Top - End - #600

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    If anyone has a suggestion for an equally clear policy standard that would list Malack as Evil, I'd like to hear it.
    We do it how we've always done it. List him as "Evil", and link that claim to #875.

If someone wants to come in and present a serious argument that it's not evidence, and/or that there's evidence somewhere else of him being non-evil, then we can talk about it then.

But right now, as far as I can tell, there's NO ONE who looks at that and says anything other than "yep, he's Evil". The weight of proof is really that convincing, so we should use it.