New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    I wonder what Dave's final form looks like. I'm guessing... Tentacles?
    Well, Mookie has kind of written himself into a corner here. I mean, since the king is still eyeless, his final form can't have extra eyes (with and without teeth), so what else is there besides tentacles?

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Oh, and Valencia, you forgot about mister facebath himself. Johnny Resistant. We havent seen him much at all lately, that means he is fully recovered and ready for some payback. Never take your eyes off the interceptor.
    You know, sending a magic resistant through a secret entrance to sneak up on the king and beat him up sounds like a reasonable plan. Also, it would be very funny if DD, the comic perpetually stuck in a 80s 'jocks vs. nerds' story, would end with an athlete beating up a crippled, elderly man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    While it is probably is going to be a diversion, I can't think what it's going to be from. Everyone else on their team couldn't stand up against a single cattleblaster, except for maybe Quilt and I doubt he could take more than a couple.
    If she's prepared, Miranda will probably be able to beat at least some battle casters.
    Luna beat some too in the "art exhibit" arc, I don't count Gregory's help here.
    We've never seen the other members in this group in action, but we can assume they are strong enough to fight some mooks (even if they are defined as "super powered mooks").

So while this group might not be able to win, they should be enough to cause a diversion and draw attention for a while.
    (That is, as long as they don't panic when they succeed to draw the attention)

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I don't think this plan of Miranda's was very well thought out.
    Edit: Actually "plan" is too strong a word.
    Still better than surrendering and giving the villain exactly what he needs...

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Come to think of it, Miranda has displayed the ability to create doppelgangers twice (in her with DJ and earlier in SinCity against TIM). Obviously they're expendable as far as she's concerned. So maybe Miranda doesn't care that the scared flying team is about to be beamspammed. She and the rest of the originals are sneaking through her secret door.
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2012-12-06 at 01:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Come to think of it, Miranda has displayed the ability to create doppelgangers twice (in her with DJ and earlier in SinCity against TIM). Obviously they're expendable as far as she's concerned. So maybe Miranda doesn't care that the scared flying team is about to be beamspammed. She and the rest of the originals are sneaking through her secret door.
    But, naturally, she was careful to make sure that the magical constructs intended solely to die were built with the ability to feel fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    The problem with that is, unless its beam spam, mookie has a rule against using the same skill more than a couple times. The rule is, dont, its boring, make up a new attack from out of nowhere and proclaim its metal. And sweetie, oh god, that WOULD be freaking hilarious, but that would be against mookies message of jocks being evil. In reality, facebath lived because he is a dj plant. Miranda thinks Dex is THEIR secret weapon, but has forgotten he is a jock, and so will punch them in the face, brag, and get nerd beam spammed to death. Being resistant is useless against the power of SEE THE TRUTH!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #847
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Maybe he was bitten by a radioactive tempest storm just before he fell unconscious? So this was the first time he could use his new powers.
    Logical. Now is only question is are there enough radioactive magic clouds to go around?

8. - Top - End - #848
    Pixie in the Playground

Sneaky

Future

Spoiler
    Show
    To bad it is already well established that the dragon is not a threat since everything the king dominates becomes useless
    Last edited by Bomaz; 2012-12-07 at 12:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky

Future

We have yet ANOTHER big protagonist controlled by the king.
    And this time he is a heartless bastard (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Anyone wants to bet on the time it will take for this challenge to go away?

I'll take two strips, since for some reason we keep having the split screen, and some time will be wasted by trying to talk to him.

Anyone wants to bet if anyone in the protagonist group will be dead?
    There are non-Deegans in the group, and it helps "tension".

10. - Top - End - #850

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I'll take two strips, since for some reason we keep having the split screen, and some time will be wasted by trying to talk to him.
    It will take a week to resolve because they will be cut-aways to Nimmel, Dominic and Klo Tark.

Anyone wants to bet if anyone in the protagonist group will be dead?
    There are non-Deegans in the group, and it helps "tension".
    There is no other reason for them to be there other than to die to help the "tension". The question is which and how many. I'd say the Naga-thingie time wizard is easily the most likely to die, and either Runicple Spoon and Cassaffin will both die or they will get hurt and have to retreat. I'll go with "all three die" since this is the end of the comic and Mookie's got a death quota to keep up.

Miranda and Luna will be okay, obviously.

11. - Top - End - #851

Quote Originally Posted by Bomaz View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    To bad it is already well established that the dragon is not a threat since everything the king dominates becomes useless
    That's normally true, but DJ didn't dominate the dragon. He zombified it. As we've seen before, DJ's zombies are extremely dangerous and quite capable of slaughtering hurting small armies with their numerous spontaneously-manifested superpowers and whatnot. Probably because all DJ's necromancy comes from Rillian, who is the only halfway competent character in the entire multiverse.

No, the real reason the dragon isn't a threat is because of Luna. She's put her faith in the Heart of the Dragon or somesuch nonsense, and she's going to somehow use it to free the dragon's soul or something equally inane. The absolute most we're going to get is that Luna goes all "I'll hold him off!" so Mookie can have a METAL DRAGON DUEL and add a third parallel sequence to artlessly cycle through. I'm honestly not sure if that's the best case or the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to bet that there will be no more than 10 panels featuring zombie dragon before Luna defeats it. On the one hand, Mookie thinks it's cool, so it will have to be featured. But drawing cool things is hard, and so Mookie has a tendency to find a way to make the cool things go away pretty quickly so he can get back to not having to draw extra stuff.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

So, if the king knew where to find the dragon, why didn't he kill it or have it killed earlier so it couldn't further inconvenience him and take its heart for himself?

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by Bomaz View Post
    So not underestimating your foe means sending out an recently created, untested dragon zombie? Though I suppose Dave could be using the throw everything including the kitchen sink tactic against the Forces of Deegan.

Oh, and where is Jacob in this assault? One can only hope he's the one sneaking into the fortress (using necromancy to suppress his lifeforce or something) instead of wasting his time keeping some priests alive while the world is about to burn.
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2012-12-07 at 04:15 AM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure why the heroes are so surprised by the necro-dragon tactic. They saw DJ using mind-controlled archmages against them, they just fought the necro-church he turned against them, Luna told them the king killed the dragon.

Why the surprise? (Also aren't Rillian and the archmages more scary than a lazy good for nothing dragon?)

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

At least I can understand the surprise in the last comic. Undead dragons the size of a building in mid-air are very hard to spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

17. - Top - End - #857
    Troll in the Playground

So how big do you think the dragon's beamspam will be? Maybe the dragon will breathe firebeams.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-12-07 at 06:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #858

The big thing I wanted to ask was about how something so large catches you by surprise, in mid-air, but I guess that's already been asked, so! I guess we're just basking in the fact that this is the dragon who, by his own admission, has been ruined in battle twice, and has recently ceded the core of his magic powers to somebody in the party.
    He also appeared dramatically in front of the protagonists, instead of, say, swooping through the middle of their group, throwing them into disarray and maybe biting one in half on the way, who can say. Nope, he's just there in front of all of them, something to draw fire.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to mention how the cattleblasters are all keeping a respectful distance. One at a time, henchmen, one at a time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

20. - Top - End - #860

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Not to mention how the cattleblasters are all keeping a respectful distance. One at a time, henchmen, one at a time.
    Do you have any idea how BAD an undead dragon SMELLS?! Those guys arent staying back to observe the one at a time rule, they are trying to avoid having their faces melt even more from the stench. Also, at least that explains the look on the good guys faces last comic. He just summoned sapphiron from one his his demi planes or wherever and yeah, thats the sort of sight to get a reaction from anyone.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #861
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Oh, and Valencia, you forgot about mister facebath himself. Johnny Resistant. We havent seen him much at all lately, that means he is fully recovered and ready for some payback. Never take your eyes off the interceptor.
    Oh no. I can see it now. Snuggly attacks Dex, Dave commands him to release Dex, who throws an exploding jockball (?) at him and spouts that line. The horror.
    Oh GOD. How could I have forgotten? Actually, I think I know, I try to block out all knowledge of.... facebath... Since I do believe it was a smugGreg arc that made me stop reading for awhile there. That or Luna, I know it was one of the two.

ANYWAY. I get the feeling you're on to something, at least certainly before the comic ends. As far as Zombie Dragon goes.... eh. It won't last, I'm thinking early next week, maybe two strips? Three at most? Depends on how much splitting he does between this and the whole Klo Tark thing.
    Icon by azuyomi244.

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Oh GOD. How could I have forgotten? Actually, I think I know, I try to block out all knowledge of.... facebath... Since I do believe it was a smugGreg arc that made me stop reading for awhile there. That or Luna, I know it was one of the two.

ANYWAY. I get the feeling you're on to something, at least certainly before the comic ends. As far as Zombie Dragon goes.... eh. It won't last, I'm thinking early next week, maybe two strips? Three at most? Depends on how much splitting he does between this and the whole Klo Tark thing.
    Honestly, im seeing a 3 on 1 match against TIM. Maybe more. Greg, Dex, and Stunt. Maybe Nimmel if he gets back in time. (hur hur, time travel pun) I mean, these are the guys with the biggest bones to pick with him, and considering only nimmel and dex have the ability to fight him without instant death, it could get bloody.

23. - Top - End - #863

OldWizardGuy

Calling it now, Luna insta-defeats the dragon by the end of next strip.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Pixie in the Playground

nope, someone possibly luna stays behind and fights it, due to the sheer amount of different groups being followed this means the defeat will take forever, not being completed until roughly the time of the final battle with the king.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Troll in the Playground

A bigger dragon flies by, eats the zombie dragon, and is then promptly enchanted by the king to attack the Team Deegan Assault Team.

Then Stunt throws a knife in its face and it dies, possibly even for good.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

I can't really imagine Mookie showing the dragon actually fighting. You know, with its body. On the one hand, he thinks dragons are cool and wants a metal fight scene. On the other, that would take effort and would probably look even worse than usual.

Beamspam it is.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't really imagine Mookie showing the dragon actually fighting. You know, with its body. On the one hand, he thinks dragons are cool and wants a metal fight scene. On the other, that would take effort and would probably look even worse than usual.

Beamspam it is.
    Dragons that breathe fire is almost like a dominion ape shooting beam-spam out of its hands. Mookie's got it easy

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    The big thing I wanted to ask was about how something so large catches you by surprise, in mid-air, but I guess that's already been asked, so! I guess we're just basking in the fact that this is the dragon who, by his own admission, has been ruined in battle twice, and has recently ceded the core of his magic powers to somebody in the party.
    He also appeared dramatically in front of the protagonists, instead of, say, swooping through the middle of their group, throwing them into disarray and maybe biting one in half on the way, who can say. Nope, he's just there in front of all of them, something to draw fire.
    I'm going to be polite and assumed King DJ summoned him, and that's why he was all like "DRAMATIC INDISTINGUISHABLE NON-BEAMSPAM CASTNG" and why Dragon-Zombie can just appear. Because my understanding was that he did, literally, just appear from...Wherever DJ keeps the dragon corpses.
    I bet he has a magic fridge or something; he seems the type.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

29. - Top - End - #869

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I'm going to be polite and assumed King DJ summoned him, and that's why he was all like "DRAMATIC INDISTINGUISHABLE NON-BEAMSPAM CASTNG" and why Dragon-Zombie can just appear. Because my understanding was that he did, literally, just appear from...Wherever DJ keeps the dragon corpses.
    I bet he has a magic fridge or something; he seems the type.
    Or possibly his own little demiplane? Thats actually the part I object to the least. DJ summoning some big undead dragon thing from his own bland white background demiplane seems to be a fairly solid tactic instead of being done just because its, "OMGWTFBBQMETAL!!!!"

30. - Top - End - #870
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Minor Tsukaima no Zero spoilers below:

Spoiler
    Show
    There is a fairly crappy anime series called "Tsukaima no Zero". I don't think Mookie watches anime, so this is probably just a coincidence or remote inspiration, but...

... it includes a character by the name of King Joseph of Gallia. He is also a powerful wizard and a villain who starts wars and deploys magical WMDs because he is bored and likes to scheme. He looks like this:

And to top it all up, he is called, by his subjects apparently, "the Incompetent King", with an episode title being "the Incompetent King Gone Mad!"

Do we know anyone like that?
    Last edited by Analytica; 2012-12-08 at 07:19 PM.