New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Total War: Broken City, Book 2

Mercantile's Guild

Rams Revolution[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I can tell you that Wallen was already attempting to drum up our support against Wardens, but the majority of the SGA does not seem to approve."

"As to the Chosen, Thats a different matter. I had already planned to take Elf Watch and take in the people there under my protection. After all, when we cleared out the Druemont a couple months ago, the Gears didnt lift a finger to help them and by all appearances, the neigbourhood is still lawless."

"I honestly dont believe that 'Celestial Network' can be trusted and needs to be shut down. I agree we need the Technists for that, but I dont know if they would be willing to support us in taking the neigbourhoods. Of additional concern, the Gears formidable military capabilities; Their Gilded Pyramid especially. That thing has the potential to turn the tide of any close battles."

To Wardens
    Spoiler
    Show
    I realize I promised you aid and I fully intend to provide some. Dr. Vasiri was just speaking of the SGA as a whole.

To UAL
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am sure you have heard of the Wardens plans to create a new "Military District". Could you provide them with some labor to help them out?

Daimont University
    Spoiler
    Show
    [This is the group that holds the tower correct?]

This last month it has come to my attention that the "Chaos mages" of Downline are still fighting my efforts at keeping the peace and I simply dont have the magic to counter them. These mages are a threat to the entire district. Could the famed University provide some mages to help root them out?

In return, I am willing to grant you authority over the tower itself. Longspeak tower if memory serves correctly.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Troll in the Playground

Ram Revolution

Mercantile Guild (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

((Elfwatch is currently under the control of Bloodhaven and Dr. Vassari, at least according to the map))

"The Golden Pyramid is a problem, yes. It is not the unstoppable force they play it off as though. It breaks down, and requires their techno-mages to run and target. with a concentrated espionage effort, it could be taken out of the equation, leaving them mostly defenseless. As for the Technists, if they are willing to take charge of the network and either shut it off or keep it safely running, Id be happy with that. We cannot move against the gears without knowing if they will try to keep the Stacks from blowing up."

Go Tigers!

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

House Laurier [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Now, you may know that, but there is a certain growing interests in the city past and history in the Districts of wealth and taste. The noble houses had been presenting their glorious histories, the Daimot University has conducted research into the past of the Talidor, my own opera has tugged the strings of remembrance. The power of nostalgia and the good old days is potent indeed – and if one can focus attention on the particular details of the past, such as the time, when most of the city trade was with the eastern lands beyond the mountains, the time when the Lomb Circle was paramount, well need I say more?''

''I propose to hold a joyous festival, nay a masquerade of revelry, celebrating the past of the Lomb Circle and the magic and glamour of the eastern lands. As the nobles and industrialists would drink in the atmosphere and spirits, all you’ll need to do would be to whisper in their ears. The reputation of House Laurier as skilled orators and conversationalists is well know – what you lack is a grand enough arena to really put them to good use. Let me build it for you.''

''First, the social event shall have the theme of the past as well as motifs from Merdallan Kingdom – I’ll see about establishment of the sweet and enchanting atmosphere, to bring the illustrious visitors to the time, when Talidor stood mighty and the trade across the mountains flown freely as the mighty river Tethyn. A social event is much like a Theater performance, and I believe I have proven my talent. And did I mention the masquerade part of the event? I believe it can tap into the current atmosphere rather well – of the mask that were worn during the events in the Runner’s Circle, there shall be a lot of gossip. And trust me, I can whisper a few things into your ear, that few people in Sky know.''

''Second, we shall have grand gestures, displaying the power and majesty of House Laurier. For example, I have heard of a great Fountain in the Pond that has been dry for a long time now. I believe I can arrange for a group of mages and engineers to see it working again. And I have more ideas.''

''Third, I believe I can secure supporters among our visitors. I have a number of acquaintances, who’ll be most friendly to our purposes.''

''Fourth, I can get you in contact with certain people, who may make your wares glitter and shine for the event. The White-Stripe Mages in the Daimot University can provide enchantments for the weapons and arms in Swordsware and secure lucrative contracts for Sellscroll’s Maze with the University.''

Peacocks [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Perhaps instead of infiltration we shall provide in gossip and drama. My man, Ascott Lascelles will be hosting a social event for the House Laurier. If we feed Laurier the juiciest gossip, nobles crave, it will impress on him, how useful this partnership can be. And we can gleam that gossip, while we make certain we that the Sky District gets the fix they crave from us.''

P.S. Champions sponsored business floundering? Any indication what that could be?

BH/Daimot University to Mercantile Guild [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

''The White-Stripe Mages of the Daimot University would like to issue a warning, that an attack against Wild Mages stands to threaten the safety of the city and as such we are in complete opposition to supporting Mercantile Guild’s request. We warn you off violence against them.''
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

4. - Top - End - #964
    Barbarian in the Playground

BH/Daimot University/Mercantile Guild
    Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed, the University will not involve itself in conflict except for the defense of the university. This city has seen enough large-scale magical combat.

University Board/Board of Education [OOC]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell people that meetings of the University Board and Board of Education get +2 defensive espionage because of the wards I had the mages put on the meeting room. Not sure if anyone already knew.
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

The Sausage Guild

Champions of Sovereignty
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent to make this official and ensure we are in alignment we will agree to the following terms.

• The Sausage Guild will provide the Champion's of Sovereignty [2 WEL/turn].
    • In return the Champions of Sovereignty will turn over administration of Ressevile and Hopers to the Sausage Guil.

SGA (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have concluded negotiations with the Champion's of Sovereignty and will be taking control of Resseville and Hopers in the coming month.

We do not personally see the need for an entire military district. Fortifying the walls is surely sufficient.

Daimont University/BH/Mercantile Guild
    Spoiler
    Show
    We apologize for intruding on this conversation, but we were assured that Downline would be secured and made safe by competent mages so that we could run our Metro through the area.

This has not occurred. As such we will be undertaking the task. We have no qualms about accepting assistance, but it will be completed this month. As a full member of the University board we feel our blood mages are more than sufficient for the task of ensuring Longspeak does not kill us all.

University Board/Board of Education
    Spoiler
    Show
    We approve the measures before the board.

We also apologize for not being more involved in the workings of the board these last few months. An urgent magical situation required our attention in the undercity, and we felt we could not adequately attend to any University matters. As that situation is now finished we would like to take a more active role.

To the Conductor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you have any information on Longspeak Tower?
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2013-01-04 at 05:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Champions of Sovereignty

To the Sausage Guild:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will certainly agree to that, though thinking about it, I was wondering if you wanted to expand the deal?

I assume you know I am also forgoing my administration of the Stockyards North. I began negotiations with Mercantile Guild for control of it, but on speaking to the neighbourhoods drovers, it seems they share my trepidation in trusting the merchants. They are becoming warily close with the the Ram Revolution.

Would you be interested in acquiring the Stockyards North for the same rate?

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

To the Champion's Sovereignty
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you mean [3 Wel/turn] for all three neighborhoods? We had no particular interest in the Stockyards as Resseville and Hopers are sufficient to our needs, but we admit that it is an eminently reasonable price, and the Stockyards do house some facilities that could be of use to us.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Daimont University/BH/Mercantile Guild [8]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Very well, but we will give fair warning to the Wild Mages.''

Wild Mages of Downline
    Spoiler
    Show

From White-Stripe Mages:

''We’d like to inform you that both Mercantile Guild and Sausage Guild has expressed wish to take control over the Downline, the first believing you to be danger to the District, the second wishing to expand their Metro beneath the neighbourhood.''
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

Daimont University/BH/Mercantile Guild [8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very well, we had not intended for this to be needlessly violent in any case.

To the GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can the Wild Mages of Downline accept a PM?

If they can we invite them to a meeting.

To the Conductor
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would like to discuss the next stage of the Grid. Would you be willing to meet in person.

To Bloodhaven
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would like to invite you to send a representative to a secure meeting in which we plan to discuss our plans for the future.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2013-01-04 at 05:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Sausage Guild [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''What do you wish to discuss?''

11. - Top - End - #971

NinjaGuy

SGA [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    May I advice all of you in something? Buy the territories from James, trade them, do as you wish.
    But make sure you swipe them well for spies and agents.

Negotiate with him, but don't trust him. He is preparing his return.

Doctor: The policies you propose for Tregon are the right road to take.

On the Wardens: How did the economic reparations go? Are they satisfied?

Church of Neposh [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I see. I may be willing to talk Lord Wallen into helping you there. It looks like a sizeable threat to the City.

Lord Matoff & Lodstrom Party [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll gladly do so, if you agree to do the same. Perhaps knowing my reasons for doing some things will make you see that some of those things were necessary.

My manor or yours?

Lord Wallen."

------

The Matoff-Wallen summit
    The day of the meeting, Lord Wallen and Lord Matoff met. Some members of both parties were in the place, talking peacefully, but with tension.

Lord Wallen and Lord Matoff left the rest of them to discuss, and entered another room. They sat.

"Lord Matoff"

"Lord Wallen"

"I have asked you for this meeting because I feel it's a shame that the Noble class is divided. That division has hurt us more than you think, and has, in some cases, forced me to take certain decissions.

Before continuing, I'd like to know what your thoughts were on this matters. I, for one, know that we don't agree on many things, but I believe we may reach an agreement.

There is an old Talidor motto that applies here: "Together we Prevail; Apart we Fall""

To Heladuit Court
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We have heard rumours of a certain letter, coming from a certain person. I'd like to talk to you in private about that.

I think we have not looked for common ground in a while, and I feel we have left too many oportunities pass.

I'd like to ask you in private about certain matters that might be of interest for both of us.

Would you be willing to meet?

Madame Beteoui"

OOC: Since I'm not meeting the Doctor, I believe I'd better try Markus.

TOTAL WAR WIKI: Come out and play
    http://totalwar-mechanicsrepository.wikispaces.com/

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    What happened to the money that was generated during the Industrialization project? Neither the SGA or Wardens saw it.

Rams Revolution[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Ah yes. Meant Icy Mont, I am just now expanding beyond Stacks so still getting other districts and neigbourhoods straight. That should eliminate 1 of their neigbourhoods. Plus I might see about Old Jacks Run.]

"The Technists would probably not object to managing the network, but its something to ask about."

"One thing I am concerned about is the Gears are fanatics and will likely prevent any covert raid from achieving anything substantial. I am sure between the 2 of us we could do it, but most of my intelligence assets will not be available."

[I mean their morale is 8-9 plus since they are an NPC most of their ESP will be put on ESP-D. Do you have the resources to overcome that?]

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

Order of the Wren

To General Rhodarmer [10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Firstly, I would like to thank you for granting me hospitality. If I can distract you from your duties for a short meeting, I would be much obliged.

The Wren

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Champions of Sovereignty:

To the Sausage Guild:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "That is what I meant yes. if it is trouble for you to expand that quickly, I can hold onto a couple of the neighbourhoods a bit longer. I'm willing to publicise the deal now either way."

To House Matoff: [6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you for sharing your views. They are very disappointing."

"You are blinded by your pride, seeing enemies where there are none. You insult and belittle the people, holding yourself above them with unjustified self-righteousness. "

"That you share my views on democracy is insulting. You are the opposite of everything the nobility should be. I hope your house fails in it's entirety."

15. - Top - End - #975
    Troll in the Playground

Ram Revolution (D ESP 8)

Mercantile Guild (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

I might be able to match their scores. If the Church of Neposh will help, anything that they or you contribute is going to be adding to our majority. However, I plan on staying defensive for now - I was simply wanting to know if you would help me in the event of their attack.

Go Tigers!

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Technists/Mercantile/Ram/Industrialists [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

Gentlemen. I would like to confirm, with whoever ends in charge of this neighbourhood, that the fine gentlemen of Risath and Perth, Teel & Doyle Quality Manufacturing, Crame Unlimited and Entwill Industry Standard, will have their rightful properties restored to them.

Industrialists [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

’’There’s been a talk about opening trade with Gregoria. As I understand they really need our goods, but lack coin to pay for them. Now to aquire that coin they are offering cheap labor force to work on processing the raw materials into goods. Their current political leadership however fears to become too dependent on us.’’

’’Can you enlighten me on the state of Sav Altulus industry. Do we need cheap labor – or do we have our own unemployed in the Runner’s City and the Orks in Trebon Village? Do our forges receive enough raw materials or are we still under capacity?’’

’’There is also another issue I’d like to discuss with you. Our industry is comparable to that of Merdallan Kingdom and as such our goods may find demand there. Now if sufficient interest was established for increasing trade with the east, there’ll be efforts to make eastern markets more accessible. Does such venture interest you?’’

Gear’s Chosen/Bookbinders/Industrialists [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

’’We’d like to remind you, that you are in the violation of the Bookbinder’s Monopoly – as you broke the terms of your covenant with them regarding issue of the inflammatory rhetoric. I understand your peculiar beliefs demand that anything you create continues to operate. So I propose, that you surrender the Printing Presses to the Bookbinder’s Guild, who’ll continue to use them and avoid all sorts of trouble with the law.’’

’’I’d also like to request that the Factories in your territories be restored to their rightful owners - Risath and Perth, Teel & Doyle Quality Manufacturing, Crame Unlimited and Entwill Industry Standard.’’

Sausage Guild [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

P.S. Will this talk be something Mercantile Guild doesn’t need to know? Because I could really use them for certain skulduggery project, but I don’t want to spend a separate VIP to do another PM. If we can invite them to this meeting, that’ll make things a bit easier for me.

Zemalac [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Hmm… This smuggling & rare substances dealing, how is it illegal? Are there laws against importing certain things? Or is somebody imposing tariffs and smugglers work to avoid those?

Ah, almost forgot. What sort of applications do my Mages envision possible with Tantric Magic? Heart exploding? Opening the Gates of Hell? Throwing Wild Parties? What sort of messing I'm walking in?

Hath's Poisoner's Society: I haven't actually understood, if they were selling the poisons or it was more of an academic pursuit for them... And what was their reputation?
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2013-01-05 at 05:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Technists/Bloodhaven/Industrialists
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both myself and the Rams Revolution have already met and agreed to turn the factories over to the Technists. What they do is up to them.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Technists/Industrialists [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

''I believe an mutually profitable arrangement is entirely possible. The Technists can improve the productivity of the Factories. And the Industrialists have the funds to finance such.''

Mercantile Guild [PM-OOC]
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm checking with ArcaneStomper if we can get you in that PM. Needs to do some evil plotting.
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2013-01-05 at 05:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Bugbear in the Playground

Church of Neposh

To Wardens (DESP 8)
    Spoiler
    Show

We are looking for military assistance. We doubt the Gears will get involved, they didn't do so last month and the Grave Guard are the ones in direct control.

To House Laurier (DESP 9)
    Spoiler
    Show

Can you use your influence in Merdallan to help a church get started? We would be willing to pay 4 WEL for the assistance.

To House Wallen (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you for any assistance. Tell me, do you think the Gears "Network" is a good thing for the city. The church is debating on taking it down, but we usually use patience to destroy such things.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Troll in the Playground

Wardens to Neposh (Edited to add stuff)
    Spoiler
    Show

Mm...

We don't necessarily like the Gears, but the situation in the Underdocks is tense and I feel that a military intervention in their territory would result in a backlash even if we were targeting the Grave Guard specifically.

The Gears are powerful enough that if we are to start a fight with them, I want it done properly, with a severe surprise attack at several points aimed at destroying them. If we provoke them into a war they'll get the first blows and things will take longer and be more painful both strategically and politically.

But I'll consider it. Do you know what sort of forces you're facing and what numbers you'd need in support? We could supply Espionage instead of Military, as it'd be less likely to draw us into an immediate open war.

EDIT: Maybe we should meet in private to discuss this further.

Wardens to Imperial Trade Ministry (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

We'd like to ask if it would be possible to take a loan of 12 t.Wealth, to be paid back in increments over the three months after the arrival of the sum? The funds would be used for construction of Warden forts in and around Sav Altulas to consolidate and free up our men to fight the Traitor Legion and other threats to our trade, as well as some other minor project to quickly improve our, and by extension your, political and strategic position within the region.

Wardens to Mercantile Guild (OOC):
    Spoiler
    Show

((Yeah, I'm hoping that you'll just put in your EoT that you're giving me the 1 p.Wealth and then you get reimbursed (probably with 2 p.Wealth or something) from the Industrialization project once you sort it out. I need the funds now, or preferrably two turns ago so I can use them on the wall repairs (which are apparently pretty extensive and are going to take quite a while).))
    Last edited by Murska; 2013-01-05 at 12:17 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

21. - Top - End - #981

NinjaGuy

To Church of Neposh PM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well... We have been giving the network some thought, after it was proven that it isn't harmful in a common basis.

The danger of a catastrophical accident is still there, but it could be argued that it's the same risk with having to use fire for warm and light in a city made mostly of wood.

It could have a great potential to make the City progress... If it were in the right hands.

I'd prefer if someone who knows about Magic managed the Network, such as Lord Wallen or Dean Pontiss.

Of course, if there was consense that the risks outbalance the advantages, we would colaborate to make sure it's safely dismantled.
    We will need support from the Technists and the University for that, still.
    And an alternative to keep the People of Runner's City warm."

22. - Top - End - #982
    Bugbear in the Playground

UAL to Mercantile's Guild (2)
    Spoiler
    Show

Dey already got a word in wid our boys at da Underdocks office. We's working on it.

House Laurier to Bloodhaven (7)
    Spoiler
    Show

You speak fine words, Mr. Lascelles, and I say this as a man who might be considered a connoisseur of such things. Perhaps we have been too content to rest on our laurels, my family and I; this would be just the thing to get us out and about in the world once more. The masquerade, the fountain, these are excellent ideas--the latter of which we had been planning for some time, I will admit, though my family's unfamiliarity with magic may have slowed that progress somewhat. I understand there is some sort of enchantment that kept the thing running, which has fallen apart over the years.

We would be willing to host this gala you propose in our own estate, though some minor renovations might need to be done beforehand. Nothing too lengthy or complicated, of course.

Peacocks to Bloodhaven (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

This plan I like much better. Your man Lascelles, he is reliable? Actors tend to be rather erratic people, and we wouldn't want anything untoward to happen.

OOC: Mainly the Royal Arena they built in Hopers.

The Conductor to Sausage Guild (6)
    Spoiler
    Show

LONGSPEAK is olDer maGIC THaN I, thAt. iT interferEs witH my traCking spellS, BUT I HAVE FOuND iT BEST NOT TO delve too deepLy iNto tHE WORKINgS of Moidreph's aGe. tHERE IS SOmETHING In thERE ThaT shOuld noT be disTurbed.

as fOR YouR Other inquiry, I AM HAPPY To assIST.

Downline Mages to Bloodhaven (1)
    Spoiler
    Show

Reeeeeeaaaalllly? Merchants and butchers and mages, oh my! They should not worry so much. You don't worry about little things like us, do you? Of course not! You have larger plans (as to the Guilds, if only you knew!).

I wonder how well they will fare, once they realize what they have found here?

ArcaneStomper (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

They generally don't leave Downline. You could send someone to them, but not the other way around.

Lord Matoff and Lodstrom Party (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Ah, yes, the old bundle of sticks argument," said Lord Matoff, leaning back in his chair. "Where one branch may be snapped with little force, many standing together may not. An old truth, but a good one, and one that is still relevant. However, I think you may be looking at a different bundle of sticks than I am." He leaned forward now, intent on what he was saying. "Democracy, Henry? Allying yourself with Constantine Richter? I will admit that your destruction of the anarchists was well done, very well done, but where better a place to take heed of the Talidorian sticks than with the ideals of the Ram? Together we prevail, Henry, and democracy"--in his mouth, spat like a curse most vile--"is nothing more than a plan to break the city apart. And this! This business with King James! I will admit the man is something of a fool when it comes to politics, and a dull fellow besides, but he's the closest we've got to a king now that Desoui has left the picture, and frankly the 'treason' you accuse him of is something I would consider most laudable! Pitting the idiots from the Lower City against those damnable uppity merchants? Gods above, man, if it had worked it would have been a masterstroke! Even a fool could see that would be nothing but good for the nobility--hell, even..."

And here he stopped, sitting back in his chair again. "I apologize," he said. "That was uncalled for. Would you like some brandy, by way of an apology?"

oblivion6 (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

It vanished. No one put anything into their EoTs about it. If nothing is done this turn I'm going to say that the stat points disappear. I think there were two of them.

General Rhodarmer to Order of the Wren (10)
    Spoiler
    Show

Think nothing of it; we would treat any guest with the same courtesy. You are welcome in my house, slayer of Redeye.

House Matoff to Champions of Sovereignty (6)
    Spoiler
    Show

Mark your words with care, would-be King. Some insults cannot be forgotten, no matter their cause.

Industrialists to Bloodhaven (3)
    Spoiler
    Show

So long as the anarchists aren't stirring things up again, we have cheap labor aplenty. I find myself surprised, to be honest, that that is what the Gregorians offered; I had thought that most of their labor force was in the form of the orcs who fled the "Kingdom" to Tregon. I could be wrong, but whoever your Gregorian contact is may be lying to you to make it seem that their position is not as weak as it appears. A laudable goal for a military man, which I believe the new ruler is, but not the best way to do business.

As for a venture into the eastern markets, of course we are interested.

Gear's Chosen to Bookbinders/Bloodhaven (5)
    Spoiler
    Show

We have a preexisting arrangement with the Bookbinder's Guild to have their personnel man the Incarnation of the Holy Press in our labratories. Do not interfere in our private arrangements.

The same could be said for your second request regarding the factories. The Grand Design does not recognize the ownership of mortal hand in this matter.

Thelonius (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

The tariffs are imposed by the Mercantile's Guild on items that they know they can transport cheaper than everyone else if they put tariffs on them. Some substances are also illegal, but only the EBSA really knows which as they're the only ones who understand the legal system.

Tantric Magic: Gates of hell, not so much. The other two, yes indeed. It is currently being viewed more as a source of power than anything specific in itself, though that may change as further research is done.

Hath Poisoner's Society: They were like a book club, but for poisons. It's an Arun thing. Their reputation was not so good, as they did like to test their poisons on unsuspecting passers-by.

House Laurier to Chuch of Neposh (9)
    Spoiler
    Show

We will see what we can do. Sponsoring religions really isn't our forte, mind you.

Imperial Trade Ministry to Wardens (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

I am afraid that I do not have the authority to authorize such large sums of money for the purpose of building up the military strength of non-Imperial states. If you could ensure that the result of the current political dissucions ongoing in the city would result in a power favorable to Imperial influence, that might be another matter; but at the moment, we see no reason to intervene to such a large degree. We understand that you yourselves are loyal to the Empire, but if the warlords that surround you were to take possession of the military district that we had helped fund...well, that would not be a particularly good thing for our foreign policy. I am sure you understand.

Your humble servant,

Trade Minister Moth
    Cosignatory - Chancellor Quille
    Total War
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Games

Past Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ran: Boundless Isles
    IC
    OOC

Sixth Nexus: THE VIGIL

Total War: Cape City
    Spoiler
    Show

LOCKWOOD-COBAN AUGMENTED INDUSTRIES

Total War: Serillia
    Spoiler
    Show

The Crimson

Ran: Broken City
    First IC Thread
    First OOC Thread

23. - Top - End - #983

NinjaGuy

Wallen-Matoff meeting [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    ”I’m too nervous to drink or eat anything, thank you. I have been in terrible stress lately, and I can't seem to hold anything.

No apologies are needed. I knew that you thought some of these things, so I can’t claim to be surprised.

I can only thank you for being honest, and speaking your mind like this. I will respond in the same way.

Don’t think I have not reflected on this for a long time.

I hope you will forgive me to state my position on things. Some ideas may offend you; and I ask you to be calm.”

Lord Wallen leaned back. He had listened to Matoff with great attention, without showing signs of being offended by his words.

“I like what you mean about the bundle of sticks, so I’ll keep going with the metaphor if you don’t mind.

The difference between us is that I don’t see a bundle of sticks at all. What I see is a sword.

Wallenstein once told me how the Dwarves made swords, in the Old Times.

It’s a long explanation, so I won’t go into detail. Short story, they used two kinds of steel; soft and hard.

Soft steel is malleable, and it can absorb great impacts, but it becomes blunt quickly. Hard steel, on the other hand, is a stronger material that never loses its sharpness; but it becomes brittle and it may break.

Dwarves combined both steel types in their blades, creating many folds, hammering the material over and over again.

It was harder, and it took longer than the blades made by the humans or the elves in that time. But the result was close to perfect: A strong blade, capable of resisting hits while cutting down armors like they were nothing.

The combination of the two steels made the blades stronger.

We need to stay together, as the steel of a sword after it’s been forged.
    But we’ll never be truly strong while we keep the rest of the city as they were.

I don’t want us to sink back to what we were under Desoui. What, a shambling, hopeless hellhole of a town in the middle of a shattered kingdom, surrounded by thugs?

No. We are Talidor’s Sons. Our forefathers ruled the world.
    And they did so thanks to the support of everyone in the Kingdom.

Sure, we hear stories about the great Knights, and the Kings, and the Wizards.

But behind every single one of them there was an army of people who changed things, who produced food, weapons, goods, who raised horses and planted farms.

We need the peasants and merchants, Matoff. And we need them fat, smart, happy, and brave.

We need them to raise us food, give us arms, fight our wars.

I understand you dislike Richter. He IS a nuisance, but he is not dangerous. He has never reached against us. And he will never be dangerous, unless we are stupid enough to make him so, by isolating him and waging war on him.

Believe it or not, the King was that stupid. Even if you thought that taking out the Merchants was a logical move (And it wasn’t. Seriously? Who is going to sell you your wine, your clothes, your wares?), the creation of the RSA was a disaster.

He could have said but a word, and all the groups of the City would have helped him destroy the anarchists, merchants and both of us included.

Do you think I would not have helped him against the Merchants, had they turned on him? He had us all by his side.

By the gods, I would have fought the Wardens themselves had it been necessary!!

But no, he had to scheme, and create a danger to the City. Mark my words. There is only one reason why the Fist fell, and it’s seating in front of you.

Without me, they would have been allowed to burn half the City before he intervened.

What do you think will happen to us, should he raise to power? He doesn’t need us. He sees us as you see the commoners.
    Oh, sure, he will come for me me first. I may not be alive two months from now. But I wouldn’t give two copper pieces for you either once he gets back.

Maybe Pontiss will get by. He is a clever man. But most of us will be gone, one way or another.

But I digress. I have been telling everyone, for about a year, that I DON’T want a democracy.

Sure, I believe in giving the Nobles of the smaller Houses a better spot in the structure.

Sure, the commoners should have a say in how things are done. That is not the same of allowing them to run the entire thing.

Many of them are talented enough to do so. The ones who are not simply don’t get anywhere.

I won’t deny it, I considered democracy to be a fair system when I was younger and a lot more naïve. But I read about it. Democracy is flawed.

It has failed again and again, and only a fool would consider it a viable choice.

The societies it creates are capable of adapting and absorbing great problems, but becomes stale in little time, and are beaten back by anarchy. Democracies are made of commoners, and are thus soft steel.

Our way, on the other hand, creates stronger and sturdier societies, but at the price of oppressing the people. For that reason, people have less hope to live better lives, and kingdoms crumble and fail because of that.
    We are hard steel.

See where am I going with this long metaphor? I intend to create a whole new system, where everyone is included, to have the best of both worlds.

The people will work harder if they think it’s in their best interest; and they will work better if we are there to guide them and stop foolish ideas. We will be able to stop such dangerous ideas and groups like the blackfists right away, only because the people who would support them will be interested in keeping the system going.

Think about it. The commoners would have to be instructed for this to work. Who could be better instructors than us? Who could be better at steering the government than us?

How richer could we become by creating new magic, new industries, new inventions? How far could we get?

I’d rather have an Empire and share it with the commoners than to rule only this forgotten, Broken City as an Emperor God.

I don't think I have explained my ideas in this detail before. I won't blame you if you consider them abominable, and ask me to leave the room.

But while I live for this philosophical debates; I’m thinking in short-term troubles now.

What are your thoughts on the current problems of the city? The Wardens, the King, and so on?

Can we overcome our differences and work for the greater good?”

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Mercantile's Guild

GM[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, so unless anyone actually specifies anything else regarding the points, they go to my use? I've already decided to give 1 to Wardens, so that leaves 1 more point...Since I am currently OVER my stat-cap, could it be burned to increase my morale?

2. If I sent in ESP into Icy Mont, what would it oppose? As far as I know there is no real power active in the area after Druemont were destroyed and Gears essentially abandoned 'em.

3. How much of a presence do the Gears have in Old Jacks Run after their internal disputes?

GM/Thelonius[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    GM: Protectorate of Blood
    1. What can my contacts tell me about the Protectorate of Blood? Mainly their imports, exports, political beliefs, political groups and really anything useful.

2. I believe that in the OOC, I read something about some special method used on their lords bodyguards to make them immune to pan and such. Do I know if theres any truth to the rumours?

Shattered-lands:
    1. Can my contacts tell me about whats going on in Gregoria with the sudden arrival of the Wren and James?

Wardens[OOC]
    Spoiler
    Show
    (I'll see what I can do. One way or another you'll get the money.)

House Laurier
    Spoiler
    Show
    May I inquire about the costs of outfitting my soldiers with [Meralldon Steel]?

[This is a trait that enhances my military effectiveness right? Disregard this message if not...]

Rams Revolution:[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh if the Gears actually attack, it effectively allows me to actually aid you directly rather than indirectly"
    Last edited by oblivion6; 2013-01-05 at 10:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Troll in the Playground

To the Champions of Sovereignty
    Spoiler
    Show
    No this deal is perfectly acceptable. It will actually allow us to somewhat ease our expansion elsewhere. We will take over the administration of the three neighborhoods this month.

To Bloodhaven (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't really want it spread around, but I suppose there isn't any reason they can't be told. I trust them fairly well anyway.

To Conductor/Bloodhaven/(Mercantile Guild if Bloodhaven invites them) (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have called you here today to discuss a magical project of great scope which we have been planning for some time. The Conductor already knows of the preliminary workings, and has indeed been of great help in it.

We asked Bloodhaven to be here as they have proven themselves to be of much magical assistance in the past, and will eventually be involved.

We would have asked the Wild Mages to be here because of certain important aspects that downline plays in the construction of this working, but they have refused to leave their lairs.

In any case we call this project the Runic Tracking and Security System. Originally it was envisioned as a way to better monitor food consumption of the city, that being on the Guild's agenda at all times, but lately we have focused more on the security aspects of it. Essentially it is a system of sympathetic magic focused along runic guides laid down in advance. By placing the appropriate focus in the spell's center we can track anything with a sympathetic link to that focus that is in the area of the grid.

Currently our prototype The Grid is set to track members of the Sausage Guild and also all living creatures, and is spread throughout Gilded. This allows us much greater security, but is only the bare bones of the system we envision which will not only cover much of the city, but also provide an entire census worth of data in real time and with unparallelled accuracy.

We expect that the economic data so gathered will be of great use to the Conductor, and no doubt the population data could serve the doctor's of Bloodhaven as well.

That is the summary of what we plan, we will pause here for questions before we move into the details of the construction and deployment.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Industrialists [3]
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, my contact was Champions, who are not skilled in the ways of trade. That’s why I felt that they could have misrepresented the situation and sought consultation with you to confirm a few things.

There is going to be a social event in the Royal Court, that I believe may give a push to the development of eastern markets for our goods. I hope you’ll be able to attend.

Peacocks [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Well, he did announce something about traveling to the ends of the world, while being drunk out of his mind. The man is too attached to the fame, wine and your girls to really leave the city. I’m just quietly hoping, the people will forget about it.''

''I’ll be making sure he’s on his best behaviour.''

''Sausage Guild has made a very, very interesting proposal. [Keeping Peacocks Informed].

Zemalac [GM]
    Spoiler
    Show

I have assumed, that with the Bookbinder’s Guild offering 4 [WEL] to destroy the Gears Presses, their agreement with Gears has lapsed. Well, if Gears still believe its on-going then getting access to the presses to say, place a bomb there, would be easy.

ArcaneStomper [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Focus

''I believe you have mentioned something like that once. The focus is coinage? Can there be multiple focuses?''

''I can easily organize distribution through my clinics or Harrowing Fields. The first could be a set of tags to identify patients, as for Harrowing Fields – it’ll be easy to come up with some excuse to distribute coins or medals.''

''Also, there is going to be a social event in the Lomb Circle, with nobility and merchants attending - perhaps an issue of commemorative coins would serve our aims.''

Runic Guides:

''And you place the Runic Guides in your tunnels, beneath Sav Altulus? How much can you cover now?''

Downline:

''What sort of role do they play in this?''

''I must note, that there is something in the Longspeak Tower. Something - which we don’t wish to get out. Wild Mages serve as natural guardians – if they were to be removed, then permanent force would need to be stationed there, to make certain nobody tampers with it.''

Resources:

I’m tapped out for magic right now – already have some obligations. But I’m also recruiting more Mages and next month, I’ll be able to provide considerable support.

Then again, I'm confident I can get support of the Blackspell Watch [4 MAG] and their discretion in the matter.

I do however have wealth and trusted agents to spare.
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2013-01-06 at 04:01 AM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Colossus in the Playground

The Orcs of Trebon: An open letter from Brigwa Stonecutter

"We know that politics in the city are chaotic right now. Frankly, we don't want to get involved. Chances are, we do not care about your ideology, for the most part, and we don't care who wins, except insofar as that we will be neighbours, afterwards.
    Still. The more unstable the city remains, the more self-sufficient we will have to be. We are working on that, and from size alone, Trebon will be more a town than a village anyway. We will need to evaluate how far we can trust each of you as trade partners. In the meantime, we will wait and see.

Orc uprising to the Drover's Associations of Stockyard North: [5?]

Spoiler
    Show
    Would it be possible to purchase sheep, goats and/or pigs in bulk quantities? We have rather more open land than we need at the moment, and we can't imagine that you have an overabundance of grazing land inside Sav Altulas.

Orc Uprising to the Wardens [5]

Spoiler
    Show
    What have your investigations regarding Upside circle come to? Deerblood and his trackers are hungry for some action, but I am wary to throw anyone into unknown danger. However, Trebon needs to be fortified, the earlier the better, and for that, we need Lumber.
    Our map of the Shattered Land tells us that there is an area marked "Fantastic lumber" near a warden fort on the other side of the city from Trebon. Would it perhaps be safer to harvest there?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #988
    Troll in the Playground

Wardens to Tregon
    Spoiler
    Show

We currently control those lumberyards, having stockpiled vast amounts of it for the current large building project in Sav Altulas.

We could give you the lumber you need in exchange for some (Wel) support in our own construction, or alternatively we could send some troops to help you with removing the Upside Circle. The way to fight Skinwalkers is white ash on your weapons and bullets.

Wardens to Imperial Trade Ministry (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show

Very well.

In other business, we have a surplus of metals and lumber. Since it comes from outside Sav Altulas, we don't have to pay the tariffs of Sav Altulas and since I control the forts defending the trade route to Illarym, those don't need to be paid either. Would you be interested in purchasing these?
    Last edited by Murska; 2013-01-06 at 11:34 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Colossus in the Playground

Tregon to Wardens

Spoiler
    Show
    Since we are rather uncomfortable with the Skinwalkers so close, we'd prefer helping you with that. Are you planning a campaign right away?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #990
    Troll in the Playground

Wardens to Tregon
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, we intend to consolidate as we'll need a large-scale deployment soon against the Traitor Legion near Gregoria, but we can spare 10 Mil if you send similar numbers.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show