New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #3331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Q1635 What are the subtype(s) of half-elves and half-orcs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #3332
    Troll in the Playground

A1635

Humanoid (elf) and humanoid (orc).

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf.

Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered an orc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #3333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    A1635

Humanoid (elf) and humanoid (orc).

Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf.

Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered an orc.
    C1635 I know of those, I was hoping there was something more explicit somewhere. Otherwise, yeah, that's probably it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #3334
    Troll in the Playground

Q1636

The feat Leap Attack says that "If you [perform a Leap Attack] with a two-handed weapon, you instead triple the extra damage from Power Attack." Does that mean that the 3x multiplier replaces the two-handed weapon's regular 2x multiplier to bonus damage, or does that mean that the 3x multiplier stacks with the 2x multiplier for a total 4x multiplier?
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

5. - Top - End - #3335
    Titan in the Playground

A 1636

The Leap Attack feat has been errata'd to say that you deal an additional 100% of the extra damage from Power Attack. Leap Attacking with a two-handed weapon deals additional damage equal to three times the attack bonus reduction (x1 + 100% (two-handed) + 100% (Leap Attack)).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #3336
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    A 1636

The Leap Attack feat has been errata'd to say that you deal an additional 100% of the extra damage from Power Attack. Leap Attacking with a two-handed weapon deals additional damage equal to three times the attack bonus reduction (x1 + 100% (two-handed) + 100% (Leap Attack)).
    The leap attack errata only mentions the second sentence. I quoted the third sentence. The question stands.

7. - Top - End - #3337
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1636: Three Times. I'm going to interleave the wording of Power Attack with Leap attack to show you why:

Power Attack, Leap Attack

Benefit
    On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn. If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you deal +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat.

Special
    If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls. If you use this tactic [Leap Attack] with a two-handed weapon, you instead triple the extra damage from Power Attack.
    Flame of Anor is correct that the errata does not delete the third sentence, despite seeing it stricken elsewhere on the net.

Q 1637 was asking if they could use bardic music with Trickery Devotion (Complete Champion).

A 1637: No. While bardic music requires perform ranks, a perform check is not required in order to use bardic music. Your image could go on a stage and do a perform skill check to earn money, but you cannot use bardic music at level 10.

(By RAW it is not permitted at level 15 either, but ask your DM as bardic music is in line with casting a spell through your simulacrum).

EDIT: Where'd question 1637 go?
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-05-15 at 08:29 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

8. - Top - End - #3338
    Troll in the Playground

1636 continued

I think there's still some ambiguity brought in by the differing antecedents to "instead" in "you instead triple"--instead of what, precisely?

In your interleaved text, the "you instead triple" phrase comes right after, and its effect presumably replaces, "add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls", a phrase from the Power Attack text. But in the original Leap Attack text, the "you instead triple" phrase comes right after "deal +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat".

You see the difference? Your interleaving made it imply that the tripling was replacing part of the Power Attack feat, but in the original Leap Attack text the tripling seems more likely to be replacing part of the Leap Attack feat.
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2013-05-15 at 09:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #3339
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1638: If a magic cone goes off, and part of the effect is blocked by a wall, but there is a 10ft door at the 30' mark of the cone, does the cone no only go out that door, but dose it continue to fill its final shape or does the room block the cone from taking its full 60' area?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

10. - Top - End - #3340
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1638

That depends on the type of cone. A spread will go around corners to fill the whole cone shape, a burst won't.

11. - Top - End - #3341
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Verditude View Post
    Q 1629

If I am under the effects of Invisibility and Entropic Shield, with the latter modified by the Invisible Spell metamagic feat, what is the miss chance of someone who shoots an arrow into my square? Do I roll once for total concealment (50%) and once for entropic shield (20%)?
    This one got missed, I think.

12. - Top - End - #3342
    Titan in the Playground

Q1639

Is the healing from the factotum's opportunistic piety 2x(level+int) or (2xlevel)+int?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

13. - Top - End - #3343
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1639 The latter.

This was previously answered in A 1488.

14. - Top - End - #3344
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q1640: Do any non-Dragon spells exist that allow the collecting of raw materials from the environment (like pulling small bits of gold out of a river)?

15. - Top - End - #3345

Q1641: Can Tongues be used to speak Druidic?
    Spoiler
    Show
    We now go to Preaplanes with the dungeon crawl deal. Prea?
    I'M FIGHTIN' TARRASQUE!
    Sounds rough, Prea, do you have a caster?
    HAD ONE!
    Where is it now?
    IN A FORCECAGE TWO DAYS AWAY!
    Is there anything we can do for you?
    BRING ME SOME SCROLLS!
    What kind?
    MIRACLE!

Accidental Character Reference in D&D 3.5

16. - Top - End - #3346
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1641 Yes.

Tongues grants the creature touched the ability to speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature.

17. - Top - End - #3347
    Banned

Devil

Q1642
    On Spontaneous Casters, who have the ability to trade out Spells Known at later levels,

"Upon reaching 5th level, and at every third bard level after that (8th, 11th, and so on), a bard can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the bard "loses" the old spell in exchange for the new one."
    am I correct in assuming it must be the class level, rather than the casting that allows you change spells as such? For example, a Bard 4/Full Arcane PrC 1, I wouldn't be able to change a spell?
    Last edited by Vaz; 2013-05-15 at 06:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #3348
    Ogre in the Playground

Q1643
    On a level 10 Erudite, what power can I use to say no to a baleful polymorph in a PvP vs a druid?

19. - Top - End - #3349
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1642 It depends.

The language used for prestige classes which advance spellcasting varies quite a bit. However, many of them specify what you do gain, and then add a line like the following:
    He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.
    If your prestige class has such a disclaimer, and the ability to trade out spells is not specifically maintained, then that ability applies only to levels in the base class and not to the prestige class.

20. - Top - End - #3350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1644

Are there any +0 LA races that give bonuses to both charisma and wisdom?
    edit: besides lesser aasimar that is
    Last edited by juicycaboose; 2013-05-15 at 09:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #3351
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1645

What is the cheapest magic location that grants a feat in printed material that is not campaign setting specific, and what book is it in?
    "I Burn!"

22. - Top - End - #3352
    Troll in the Playground

Re: 1644

I suggest you delve into The Complete D&D Monster Index.

23. - Top - End - #3353
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Q 1645

What is the cheapest magic location that grants a feat in printed material that is not campaign setting specific, and what book is it in?

A 1645 Partial
    All the perpetual feat granting magical locations (that are not campaign specific) are in Complete Scoundrel.
    I think the cheapest is the Frog God's Fane at 2k.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

24. - Top - End - #3354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    A 1645 Partial
    All the perpetual feat granting magical locations (that are not campaign specific) are in Complete Scoundrel.
    I think the cheapest is the Frog God's Fane at 2k.
    What page is Frog God's Fane on?
    "I Burn!"

25. - Top - End - #3355
    Banned

Devil

It is in the Magical Locations section. AFB at the moment.

Q1646- Can metamagic reducers be used to reduce the effect of Metamagic when used with scrolls?

26. - Top - End - #3356
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1646 No.

All parts of the spell in a scroll are dictated by the nature of the scribing formula. The fact that the person who crafted the scroll was able to use a lower spell slot than normal due to metamagic cost reducer(s) does not change the spell level of the scroll for purposes of cost or time to complete. And once a scroll is finished, any metamagic available to the scroll user is also irrelevant; again, all parts of the spell in the scroll have already been finalized.

27. - Top - End - #3357

Q 1647

Regarding casting spells with a touch attack on allies, the "Holding the Charge" section of the PHB (and SRD) seems to have two conflicting statements one right after the other. One stipulates that as a full-round action a character may touch up to six of their friends. However it does not stipulate that those touches grant the spell-effects. The following sentance indicates that the first thing or person touched discharges the spell. Am I correct in ascertaining that by RAW the 6-friend touch full-round action is more or less pointless?

Holding the Charge
    If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.
    Q 1648

Light of Lunia, SpC 132, does not stipulate the action required to make attacks with it's rays. I assume that since it is an attack, it would take either a Standard Action, or be part of a Full-Attack Action. Is this correct by RAW?
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2013-05-16 at 03:58 PM.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

28. - Top - End - #3358
    Titan in the Playground

A 1647:

The "touching six allies" bit applies to spells that can target multiple creatures. In that case, as each ally is touched, the spell takes effect upon that ally. Most touch spells, however, only affect one creature.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

29. - Top - End - #3359
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1648 Yes.

The energy of Light of Lunia may be discharged in up to two ranged touch attacks, following the standard rules for making attacks.

30. - Top - End - #3360
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems everyone either skipped or dont knwo the answer to my question. Ill post it just in case its the former.
    Q1643
    On a level 10 Erudite, what power can I use to say no to a baleful polymorph in a PvP vs a druid