New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 121 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829303132333435363738395479 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Banned

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 442

Yes, Cloistered and other Clerics can trade any domain for the associated domain feat. They are still limited to the maximum of 3 total domain feats for Clerics, of which 1-3 must be obtained by conversion.
    Erk? Not sure what you intend that to say; I read "1-3" as meaning "numbers one through three". From context, I'm guessing you meant "one of the three"? I can't think of any way to read the rules as saying that the cleric has to get all three of their Devotions by giving up Domains, so I'm assuming that's not what you meant.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    I read "1-3" as meaning "numbers one through three".
    One, two, or three. (Zero is disallowed by RAW.)

3. - Top - End - #843
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 446

Is there any reason to automatically fail a Reflex save if you're prone?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #844
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 447

Does a mount increase in size from the bonus hit dice granted from a paladin?
    Last edited by Yomega; 2013-01-10 at 07:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Banned

Devil

Q448

Can you improve Specific Armours with Magical Weapon Abilities?

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A446
    Maybe you enjoy getting coated in glitterdust

Assuming you meant "do you auto-fail a reflex save if prone," then no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflex
    These saves test your ability to dodge area attacks. Apply your Dexterity modifier to your Reflex saving throws.
    Nothing about being prone, and the prone rules don't mention reflex saves, so they don't interact.

A447
    The shark does, the others do not, because they don't have size increases with advanced HD.
    Edit: this is in dispute.

A448
    No, and you probably wouldn't want to anyway (although it would be cool to have Flaming armor).

As for adding magic armor abilities, yes you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adding New Abilities
    A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-01-10 at 11:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

A 442 Dispute: I must agree with willpell, I don't think the rules specify that a minimum of one domain feat must be gained by exchanging a domain for the feat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell
    Q442Do Cloistered Clerics have the option of giving up their automatic Knowledge domain for the Knowledge Devotion feat? Does doing this prohibit them from also trading one of their two chosen domains for a Devotion feat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
    A 442
    Yes, Cloistered and other Clerics can trade any domain for the associated domain feat. They are still limited to the maximum of 3 total domain feats for Clerics, of which 1-3 must be obtained by conversion.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell
    Erk? Not sure what you intend that to say; I read "1-3" as meaning "numbers one through three". From context, I'm guessing you meant "one of the three"? I can't think of any way to read the rules as saying that the cleric has to get all three of their Devotions by giving up Domains, so I'm assuming that's not what you meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Champion, p53
    A cleric of Pelor, for example, can choose to cast spells from the Good and Healing domains but select the Strength Devotion and Sun Devotion feats.

In addition, you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat.
    The rules explicitly allow (in the above example) gaining domain feats by actually selecting the feat, rather than by conversion.

A 447: No, (not even a shark) because the class feature spells out exactly what is gained by the bonus hit dice. Size increase is not mentioned, despite almost all other benefits of gaining normal hit dice being mentioned.

Bonus HD
    Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal. Extra Hit Dice improve the mount’s base attack and base save bonuses. A special mount’s base attack bonus is equal to that of a cleric of a level equal to the mount’s HD. A mount has good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the animal’s HD). The mount gains additional skill points or feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-01-10 at 02:53 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 449

Since the cancerous companion from the cancer mage prestige class (in the Book of Vile Darkness) gets Int up to 14 does it get skills and feats?

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 450

Is there any special modifier for grappling a rider or his mount?

Q 451

What happens to the rider, if the mount is grappled/swallowed whole (assuming mount and rider would fit)?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-01-10 at 10:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A 442 Dispute: I must agree with willpell, I don't think the rules specify that a minimum of one domain feat must be gained by exchanging a domain for the feat.
    I've already misinterpreted him once, but I'll try once more....I'm guessing he meant that you can't choose to have 0 of your 3 domain feats come from domain tradeaway, as you can only ever get a 3rd by doing that. However I'm not sure that the text in Complete Champion actually says you can do domain tradeaway more than once...getting two free feats, powerful ones at that, in exchange for all your domains would be rather strong, and getting one completely free feat in exchange for a domain you didn't care about is perhaps even stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Champion
    In addition, you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. Doing so
    allows you to select up to three domain feats, but you cannot prepare domain spells or use the granted power of the sacrificed domain. In essence, you trade in a domain for an extra feat slot that you can spend only on a specific domain feat. For example, the above cleric of Pelor could choose to give up the granted power and spells of the Good domain for the
    Good Devotion feat.
    While I agree that this text could be interpreted as allowing more than one domain tradeaway, I also think it could be interpreted as only allowing for it to be done once. My inclination to prefer one interpretation over another is mostly that I think the chance to start the game with five freaking feats (for humans etc.) is the sort of thing that one shouldn't assume is possible unless it gets specifically called out. Perhaps that's just me.

A 447: No, (not even a shark) because the class feature spells out exactly what is gained by the bonus hit dice. Size increase is not mentioned, despite almost all other benefits of gaining normal hit dice being mentioned.
    It doesn't say size increase doesn't occur either, which would mean that the normal rules for adding a Hit Die should apply, even if they aren't fully explicated.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ettin in the Playground

It doesn't say size increase doesn't occur either, which would mean that the normal rules for adding a Hit Die should apply, even if they aren't fully explicated.
    It is as with animal companions. Except for the modifications it is a typical member of the species. Typical members are not bigger than the entry in the MM or other book.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The paladin’s mount is superior to a normal mount of its kind and has special powers, as described below.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-01-10 at 11:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

I've already misinterpreted him once, but I'll try once more....I'm guessing he meant that you can't choose to have 0 of your 3 domain feats come from domain tradeaway, as you can only ever get a 3rd by doing that. However I'm not sure that the text in Complete Champion actually says you can do domain tradeaway more than once...getting two free feats, powerful ones at that, in exchange for all your domains would be rather strong, and getting one completely free feat in exchange for a domain you didn't care about is perhaps even stronger.
    But that is only if you have three domain feats, the normal limit for domain feats is 2. So if you want to get a third, the only way to do so is to exchange a minimum of 1 domain for the feat. But if you have 1-2 domain feats, no exchange is required.

While I agree that this text could be interpreted as allowing more than one domain tradeaway, I also think it could be interpreted as only allowing for it to be done once. My inclination to prefer one interpretation over another is mostly that I think the chance to start the game with five freaking feats (for humans etc.) is the sort of thing that one shouldn't assume is possible unless it gets specifically called out. Perhaps that's just me.
    Not bad, willpell, we'll make a Rules Lawyer (TM) out of you yet.

Incidentally, can't get 5 anyway, even if you exchange all your domains, not at first level (not without flaws). Only way to get 3 domains is via cloistered cleric, but knowledge devotion contains a special pre-requisite of Knowledge Ranks (Any) 5 - unattainable at 1st level without extra feats (I guess you could burn favored and the other one for a bonus rank, but that defeats the purpose).

As you said above, this is "the sort of thing that one shouldn't assume is possible unless it gets specifically called out."

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Q452 I've read that you only gain bonus power points for high ability scores from your highest level class that grants manifesting. What about if a character has a class that grants spellcasting with bonus spells based on some ability, then gets a class that grants bonus power points based on the same ability? Does this make a difference? Does it matter which class is higher if it does?
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

14. - Top - End - #854
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q453

Whats the name of the spell(s) that you can use in combination with ray of enfeeblement to drain all the Dex from a dragon?

Edit: RAY OF CLUMSINESS and subject takes penalty
    Last edited by Ketiara; 2013-01-10 at 02:21 PM.
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: Q 453

This is an open-ended question, with no standard answer. Perhaps you should create a new thread about fighting dragons.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ettin in the Playground

Ray of Enfeeblement does not drain any ability score, much less DEX

A 453

A maximized Shivering Touch (Frostburn) should do the trick. No dragon (in the SRD at least) has more than Dex 10, the spell does 3d6 DEX damage, maximized to 18.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 442
    I've already misinterpreted him once, but I'll try once more....
    Spoiler
    Show
    In addition, you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. Doing so allows you to select up to three domain feats, but you cannot prepare domain spells or use the granted power of the sacrificed domain. In essence, you trade in a domain for an extra feat slot that you can spend only on a specific domain feat. For example, the above cleric of Pelor could choose to give up the granted power and spells of the Good domain for the Good Devotion feat.
    While I agree that this text could be interpreted as allowing more than one domain tradeaway, I also think it could be interpreted as only allowing for it to be done once.
    The emphasis on the singular has a different consequence when you look at all the domains that Clerics can choose, including planar domains. Each planar domain is in place of both the normal domains a Cleric is allowed (see Spell Compendium on page 282). The Complete Champion domain substitution rule specifies that the exchange is always only one domain feat for a domain traded in. That necessarily includes planar domains.

The substitution rule is one domain —> one domain feat. The only statement in this rule which limits repeating such a substitution is the maximum of 3 domain feats.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q454: Is there any limit on the number of times per day an Earth Dreamer (RoS pg. 110) can use her Earth Sight or Earth Glide abilities?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 454 No.

(Strictly speaking, the absolute limit would be the number of rounds in a day divided by the duration of each effect for the particular Earth Dreamer. )

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 455

Barring any means of getting more than one standard action per round you can only ready one of the possible three action, right?

Q 456

Must the specified condition for a readied action be observable by the character? Are there other restrictions on what the condition can be?

Q 457

What's a condition for ready action? Can you use something like IF((A and B) or (C and D)) THEN Standard/Move/Free Action?

Q 458

Can you even ready a melee attack against a charge that starts outside your reach? I ask because of this:
    The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character.
    And that:
    Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-01-10 at 03:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Q452 I've read that you only gain bonus power points for high ability scores from your highest level class that grants manifesting. What about if a character has a class that grants spellcasting with bonus spells based on some ability, then gets a class that grants bonus power points based on the same ability? Does this make a difference? Does it matter which class is higher if it does?
    Wasn't actually answered, somebody mislabeled their answer.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    A 452: Your initial premise (underlined above in the quote) is incorrect. See XPH p 17:

For example, a 5th-level psion/5th-level psychic warrior has 20 power points from her psion levels (plus any bonus points for a high Intelligence score) and 7 power points from her psychic warrior levels (plus any bonus points for a high Wisdom score), for a total of 27 power points (plus any bonus points).
    You receive bonus spells and points for each class (spellcasting or manifesting) depending on the requisite ability score for that class. Psionics is unique in that power points for any and all manifesting classes are pooled. Spells are kept separate by class (even if you use the spell point system from UA/SRD).
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-01-10 at 03:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 459 The Winter Mask soulmeld says that you gain a touch attack, but specifies no action type for using it.

Can you make those touch attacks as part of a full attack action? Like can I attack with unarmed strikes that have a +11/+6/+1 iterative and choose to make my +11 and +6 as normal attacks and the +1 as a touch attack?

or

Does this ability proc on all unarmed and natural attacks the way a touch spell will discharge through them?

or

Does it just default to a standard action?
    Last edited by Corwin_of_Amber; 2013-01-10 at 04:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 460

When prone, what penalties or restrictions apply to a thrown dagger?
    It appears to be neither a ranged weapon nor a melee attack roll.
    "May not a day pass that you do not have either a hangnail or a parchment cut!"
    -Angry Shopkeeper

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 455 Yes.
    You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. ... Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition.
    Even with multiple standard actions in a round you still cannot have multiple simultaneously readied actions, because Ready is only effective before the next action.

A 456 Yes.
    To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition.
    A response is "any behavior of a living organism that results from an external or internal stimulus". There is no Divination magic involved here: a readied action is simply a plan which you have mentally rehearsed in order to respond promptly to an anticipated event. You use your character's senses to detect the triggering condition.

A 457 Ask your DM.

It's entirely your DM's call how much complexity they'll allow for the Ready trigger.

A 458 Maybe.

One of the limitations of using your character's senses is that you don't know for certain that an enemy is using the Charge action until they attack. Before that you might perceive that they're moving in a straight line, on an apparently unblocked path, toward someone. But they could be attempting a Bull Rush or an Overrun instead of a Charge at that point and you couldn't tell which D&D action was involved. If you're specific about actions, your DM would probably say your readied action can't trigger until the attack proves that the enemy is, indeed, using Charge. If you want to interpose yourself in the charge path to foil their action, your response is too late.

A 460
    Prone

The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow).
    It's impossible to throw a dagger (use it as a ranged weapon) while prone. You can use it only as a melee weapon with a -4 penalty.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-01-10 at 05:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Banned

Devil

Q461

I am a 20th Level Character. My Ability Score Increases have gone into Wisdom. Then Polymorph Any Object is cast twice on me to Permanently Change me into a Monster. I then have this followed up with Psychic Reformation which allows me to change recently allocated skill points, feat selections, and "undo decisions of these sorts".

Can this;
    - allow me to change me Ability Score Increases by +/- 5?

Q462
    - what would happen to said Wisdom score; said Wisdom had not been increased, it was an utterly "new" creature.

Q463
    - Should the Wisdom of the Creature have been increased during Polymorph?

Q464
    - Outside of War and Peace being used as an Improvised Tenderiser while making Vaz-stew, what is to stop you using it to change your class?

Q465
    - What happens when you take out pre-requisite feats/skill ranks?

Q466
    - Utterly unrelated, but what is the difference between a Prayerbook and a Spellbook? As in, can I use a Spellbook also as a Prayerbook?

27. - Top - End - #867
    Banned

You receive bonus spells and points for each class (spellcasting or manifesting) depending on the requisite ability score for that class. Psionics is unique in that power points for any and all manifesting classes are pooled. Spells are kept separate by class (even if you use the spell point system from UA/SRD).
    To follow up on this, I believe you would receive bonus power points for each class equal to half your key ability modifier times the number of levels in the class. Thusly, a level 4 psion and level 1 psychic warrior, with 18 INT (+4 INTMOD) and 14 WIS (+2 WISMOD), gets +8 pp for his Psion levels and +1 for his Psywar level. I can see how one might read that he instead gets +10 pp from his INT and +5pp from his WIS for being character level 5, but I'm fairly certain this is incorrect; even though the "bonus PP by character level" table is outside of the classes sections, I don't think you're meant to be able to count all your multiclass levels multiple times (potentially as many as three, since there are that many key modifiers that a sufficiently multiclass character could have; a Venerable character might have 21s in all three abilities, which would add up to a heck of a lot of PP). Please let me know if I'm figuring this right.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 461 N/A.
    Then Polymorph Any Object is cast twice on me to Permanently Change me into a Monster.
    Polymorph Any Object cast twice has exactly the same effect as Polymorph Any Object cast once. This spell has no exception to spell stacking limits. Because of those limits, nothing changes with the second casting other than the duration clock is restarted from the time of the most recent casting. The duration is not recalculated; it's the same effect, repeated. All spell results are exactly identical with one, two, three, or any number of repeat castings.

Polymorph Any Object has this specific limitation:
    The duration of the spell depends on how radical a change is made from the original state to its enchanted state.
    That means exactly what it says: the original state of the object/creature targeted, not merely the previous state before the current casting of the spell.

Also note that any "Permanent" spell effect in D&D lasts only until the first successful dispel check.

None of the actions in your scenario involve any decisions in feats, skill points, or other choices of this sort as required for Psychic Reformation.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Banned

Devil

A641 Dispute

The original state at the time of the second casting of polymorph is the Creature I have Polymorphed into.
    Last edited by Vaz; 2013-01-10 at 11:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 461 Dispute
    The original state at the time of the second casting of polymorph is the Creature I have Polymorphed into.
    No, that's definitely not the original ("belonging or pertaining to the origin or beginning of something") state; rather, it's the very definition of current ("belonging to the time actually passing") state.