New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 62 of 121 FirstFirst ... 123752535455565758596061626364656667686970717287112 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #1831
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A 929 Clarification: As far as I know "core books" is not a game term. Can you clarify what you mean?
    Re: A929 Clarification: I believe that the Core books refer to the Monster Manual, the DMG, and the PHB, though I may be in error.

2. - Top - End - #1832
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 929 Addition:
    There is only one core book that contains monster stats, the Monster Manual: Core Rulebook III. The others are the Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook I and the Dungeon Master's Guide: Core Rulebook II. No other sorces are core sources. I think you might mean official WotC material, of which there are many.

Edit: Ninja'd a bit. The link provided above is not entirely correct. I haven't seen any psionics books that are identified as a core rulebook. That which is contained within the SRD are not the core rules.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2013-02-26 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Formatting changes, I suck at formatting
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

3. - Top - End - #1833
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 930

Would a creature with magic immunity, like a golem, be subject to eldritch blast damage that is not vitriolic blast? Even if the warlock were using a variant that granted her a Smite Eldritch Blast which ignores SR?

4. - Top - End - #1834
    Titan in the Playground

A930: No. Golem-style magic immunity is infinite SR for all intents and purposes, so if the blast is SR:No for any reason, it's not immune to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #1835
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q931

I know when doing a Coup de Grace you add Sneak Attack but do you add Power Attack/Pally Smite/Weapon Enchants such as flaming ect?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

6. - Top - End - #1836
    Titan in the Playground

Q932: If you cast a spell with a 1 round casting time, do you have to aim at the moment you start casting, or can you wait with that until the moment the spell comes into effect on your next turn?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #1837
    Ogre in the Playground

A 931: Yes. Reading the rules on Coup de Grace:

As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.

You automatically hit and score a critical hit.
    Extra dice of damage are not multiplied, but non-variable bonus damage such as Power Attack or Smite Evil are.

A 932: The latter.

You make all pertinent decisions about a spell (range, target, area, effect, version, and so forth) when the spell comes into effect.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-02-26 at 07:53 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

8. - Top - End - #1838
    Ettin in the Playground

A 931

Yes, coup de grâce is an attack, even if you automatically hit. At least according to the glossary (PHB and web), where the perpetrator of that action is called attacker. The SRD and p. 153 f. of the PHB don't do that.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-02-26 at 08:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1839
    Orc in the Playground

Q933 Are there any large races with powefulbuild?

Alternatively, how would I enable a medium race to wield a huge weapon without incurring penalties?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well, I'm firmly convinced that gelatinous cubes simply hold static in one point and force the world to move around them to their mobility desires.
    Awesome G.Cube avatar by Savannah!

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes I may make, it is quite difficult to type with a pseudopod.

10. - Top - End - #1840
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 927
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    do you mean it just protects me from the "being held helpless" option, or that it renders me entirely immune to all the effects of the power?
    Freedom of Movement will let you move and attack normally despite Control Body.

11. - Top - End - #1841
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyBarbarian View Post

Alternatively, how would I enable a medium race to wield a huge weapon without incurring penalties?
    A 933

No.

A medium character who manifests expansion and augments it to bump him 2 size categories is huge, and can thus wield huge weapons.

Enlarge person + strongarm bracers (magic item compendium. allow you to wield weapons 1 size larger w/o penalty) also works for a medium character.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #1842
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyBarbarian View Post

A933
    There are several Medium races with Powerful Build, any such race under an effect that increases their size to Large (whether a template like Half-Goristro, or a spell, or any other such effect) becomes a Large race with Powerful Build.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

13. - Top - End - #1843
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q934 The Anarchic Initiate class gives you the Psychic Enervation class feature at level 3 and references the Wilder class feature of the same name. The feature says that "A wilder who is overcome by psychic enervation is dazed until the end of her next turn and loses a number of power points equal to her wilder level."

So if I enter the Anarchic Initiate PrC through a Psion does that mean I lose 0 PP on an enervation since my Wilder level is 0?

14. - Top - End - #1844
    Titan in the Playground

Q 935
    If I apply fell drain to a spell that deals damage over multiple turns (such as murderous mist, belker claws, boreal wind, or evard's black tentacles) then does the enemy take damage upon each successful hit, or only on the first hit?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

15. - Top - End - #1845
    Orc in the Playground

Q936 Would Powerfull build stack with monkey grip or strongarm bracers to enable a medium size creature to wield a huge weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well, I'm firmly convinced that gelatinous cubes simply hold static in one point and force the world to move around them to their mobility desires.
    Awesome G.Cube avatar by Savannah!

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes I may make, it is quite difficult to type with a pseudopod.

16. - Top - End - #1846

A936 (Partial) Strongarm Bracer specifically does not stack with powerful build although I am unsure about Monkey Grip.
    Last edited by Xenogears; 2013-02-26 at 05:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1847
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q937

PHB(pg74) describes the attack trick as Attack (DC 20): The animal attacks apparent enemies. You may point to a particular creature that you wish the animal to attack, and it will comply if able. Normally, an animal will attack only humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, or other animals. Teaching an animal to attack all creatures (including such unnatural creatures as undead and aberrations) counts as two tricks.

DMG(pg206) describes pointing at an enemy and declaring to attack a complex instruction and uses a standard action. A character can give a simple verbal command, such as “Attack” or “Come,” as a free action, provided such a command is among the tricks the animal has learned. A more complex instruction, such as telling an animal to attack and pointing out a specific target, is a standard action.

Which one is correct? Free action or standard(in reference to druids)?
    Last edited by Poacherbud; 2013-02-26 at 05:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1848
    Ogre in the Playground

A 936: As mentioned above, strongarm bracers explicitly don't stack. Monkey grip (CW) specifies "one size larger than you are", which won't stack with powerful build, because powerful build allows a creature to "use weapons designed for a creature one size larger" - the effect is essentially the same wording.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-02-26 at 05:52 PM.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

19. - Top - End - #1849
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q938
    Can one teleport (via spells or maneuvers) out of being shackled to a wall?
    Q938-A
    If 938 is true, will using benign/baleful transposition place the other target in the shackles?
    Q938-B
    If 938 is true can one teleport out of handcuffs? (And if the answer to this is no: why not?)
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

20. - Top - End - #1850
    Titan in the Playground

A937 For a druid or ranger specifically the point is irrelevant;
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Druid
    Link (Ex)
    A druid can handle her animal companion as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if she doesn’t have any ranks in the Handle Animal skill. The druid gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding an animal companion.
    Anything normally taking a standard action in Handle Animal, then, only takes a free action. (There is similar text for rangers.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

21. - Top - End - #1851
    Ogre in the Playground

A 938: Maybe. Teleport, Benign Transposition, and Baleful Transposition require only Verbal components, and thus may be cast while shackled. For maneuvers, "you must be able to move." Being shackled might or might not (depending on the length of the chain/shackles) prevent you from moving (although you can still take move actions regardless).

A 938A: Maybe, ask your DM. They transport all possessions, but the shackles holding you to the wall may or may not count as a possession. You trade positions, but it is unclear if this requires the two transposed characters to exactly swap body positions, or squares.

A 938 B: No. Handcuffs will count as possessions (whether you want them to or not) and will be teleported with you when you cast teleport.

22. - Top - End - #1852
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q939 a-c
    What if someone is holding the handcuffs or is also chained to them?
    How is possession-ness adjudicated? What is the threshold between cuffs and manacles for this?
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-02-26 at 07:50 PM.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

23. - Top - End - #1853

Q940
    What is the minimum caster level for 1st level Paladin spells?
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

24. - Top - End - #1854
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 940 2nd.
    Through 3rd level, a paladin has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, her caster level is one-half her paladin level.
    A Paladin never has a caster level below 2nd.
    You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.

25. - Top - End - #1855
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    Q940
    What is the minimum caster level for 1st level Paladin spells?
    A940: 4th, counting bonus spells, I believe.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

26. - Top - End - #1856

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    A940: 4th, counting bonus spells, I believe.
    I think you may have misread my question, I don't need the Level that you get spells, I want to know the minimum caster level, mostly for crafting purposes.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

27. - Top - End - #1857
    Ogre in the Playground

A 939 C: Ask your DM. I am unaware of any rules for shared possessions, you might or might not still be cuffed, depending on the particular locking mechanism and chain(s). As far as the dividing line between possessions, in general if you are carrying it, it counts as a possession. Compare attended and unattended objects. So cuffs and manacles count as possessions, stocks or being shackled to the wall do not.

28. - Top - End - #1858
    Titan in the Playground

Q 941

Regarding the Maug (FF) as a player character. In it's description, it says the Maug gets skill points as an outsider (i.e. 8 points per HD, quadruple for the first HD). Is this overwritten by the 3.5 Construct type description that says Constructs receive 2 skill points per HD?

29. - Top - End - #1859
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    Q931

I know when doing a Coup de Grace you add Sneak Attack but do you add Power Attack/Pally Smite/Weapon Enchants such as flaming ect?
    A931 additional

You can use all of those (assuming you have them), but you'd have to declare the non-automatic ones, and you'd have to write off one of your daily uses of Smite Evil. As for Power Attack, though you'd have to declare it also, there's absolutely no reason not to, as the attack automatically hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Q 935
    If I apply fell drain to a spell that deals damage over multiple turns (such as murderous mist, belker claws, boreal wind, or evard's black tentacles) then does the enemy take damage upon each successful hit, or only on the first hit?
    A935

I think it's just for the first hit. The text says that any living creature dealt damage gains a negative level. It does not say that each instance of dealing damage deals a negative level. Being "a living creature that is dealt damage" is a binary state--you either are or you aren't. So you either get the negative level or you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #1860
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 941 No.

The example 2 HD Maug monster has many more skill ranks than can be explained by the standard Construct skill allocation. Despite having 2 HD of Construct, you're treated as if those were 2 HD of Outsider for skill points.