New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Orcs Must Die! (2)

Why am I only now finding out about this game? Seriously, why? Why don't people tell me these things? Whoever my secretary is, you are so fired!

So I have yet to play it, but I did see a let's play of it that made the game look awesome, though that may just because it was Nappa and Vegeta playing.

So yeah, anyone played either the original or sequel and have anything to say about it or any tips for a first timer?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Orcs Must Die! (2)

Original is fun.

Second game is magnificent. Play co-op if you can, the netcode is curiously great.

As for advice: Hammer good. Hammer best.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Seconding Cogwheel in that the first game is a blast, but the sequel is magnificent. When you get a good coop partner on voice with you the hilarity pretty much never ends. Only thing I'd wish for was slightly more trap slots in CoOp.

Fun traps... The tar trap for warmage is probably the most useful trap ever, and a great place to use your first skulls. Combine with barricades and the swinging mace trap for great fun. Sprinkle in arrow traps, grinders or scorchers for even greater fun

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, it's one of those games that was fun while it lasted, but it lost its appeal long, long before the campaign was over.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    As for advice: Hammer good. Hammer best.
    Let me guess. You have a strong urge to Nail the world?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Why am I only now finding out about this game? Seriously, why? Why don't people tell me these things? Whoever my secretary is, you are so fired!

So I have yet to play it, but I did see a let's play of it that made the game look awesome, though that may just because it was Nappa and Vegeta playing.

So yeah, anyone played either the original or sequel and have anything to say about it or any tips for a first timer?
    I remember that there was a thread about it on this board...
    I can't say I didn't enjoy it. OMD was awesome, played it on Warmage through (I think I might have missed the last level with only 4 Skulls...) and Nightmare... I think I got about Halfway before I got too many problems with Gnolls.

OMD 2 on the other hand... I was excited and I managed to play the Sorceress to the first encounter with those Gnolls, where the Map is shaped like a T... where I failed. And with the Warmage I came to the level where you have a centered rift, a longwinded way down some stairs, one directly to the rift and aerial stuff.... I didn't even get through easy-mode.... stupid ogres...
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Anyone want to play with me and help me through it?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The issue is that some stages are built with the assumption you have a partner. Having a Co-Op partner is a huge boost on just about any stage, but some maps are next to impossible alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

That makes me feel better. I've been able to solo it so far but at 'The Mirror' or something. Red stage, 4 doors, stairs leading up to the rift directly, and two short hallways in. Just can't move fast enough. =/

And I wish they had changed the speaking between the two games more. Hearing some of the orcs and Warmage dude say things that don't make sense in this game keeps throwing me off. Ah well.

Still a fun game though.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Still no takers to play with me?

11. - Top - End - #11

The first one was fun while it lasted. One thing I didn't like was that Nightmare mode not only made stuff harder, but also eliminated infinite preparation time between (some) waves. I get that it makes the game more challenging, but it also cuts out one of my favourite aspects of the game - carefully plotting out deadly trap networks - in favour of frantic trap-placement wherever you can reach. I wish there was a mode which increased difficulty while retaining preparation time.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be willing to play 2 player if you can give me a few days. My internet is pretty horrible right now, but I should be getting a far better provider by the end of the week.

Also, I have a huge project due on the 7th, so most of my time should probably be going towards that... I've got enough done right now I suppose, I just think more wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2012-11-28 at 01:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

If you'll still be up for a game in two weeks, I'll be done with exams and back at home with my gaming computer, so I'd join you then.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    That makes me feel better. I've been able to solo it so far but at 'The Mirror' or something. Red stage, 4 doors, stairs leading up to the rift directly, and two short hallways in. Just can't move fast enough. =/
    Try using barricades to re-path the orks into your killzones (just watch out for those [redacted] kobold sappers).
    It's the only way I managed to perfect Upstairs Downstairs (two doors either side of a lower rift, with two separate stairs leading to a second rift upstairs).

You may need to re-spec your skulls and traps for every map if you don't have a partner, but it's possible to complete the game solo (I've done it), although possibly not 5-skull everything (I'm working on it).

There are other general suggestions like the Teleport ring to get to different choke points quickly, but most are map specific. I'll have a look at the map tonight and see if I can give you more specific advice.

Edit: Is The Mirror the one with a long tunnel underneath the rift? I think that tunnel's almost exclusively used by kobolds (the fast moving annoying little critters), so a pair of archers down there pretty much seals it shut, leaving the stairs bit for you. That's all I can remember of it for now - I'll try and give you more advice tonight.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-11-28 at 08:53 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

MonkGuy

this is a playthrough of Mirror Image on Solo, for the people who don't remember that particular map.

Several of the OMD2 maps are definitely designed for two players, and can be pretty damn tricky to do on your own. It usually comes down to using traps to seal off one end while you fight the other end off.

If you drop me a message with your email I'll add you on Steam for some games . I'm settled in Europe though, so there might be some time zone overlap.

16. - Top - End - #16

Thanks. I managed to tackle it. I think my problem was I was playing it like I did the first, where I could spread out the traps to sort of weaken/kill the mobs and then run around sweeping up everything my self. Though I think I maxed out the amount of guardians allowed, and used about half of my rift points. -.- I think I know how to 5 skull it later though.

I did note in that video the guy was using things I don't have yet. Which is a shame because those are also some of my favorite things from the first one (Clockwork mace, grinder, and lightning armlet.) Or does The Warmage have a different item unlocks then The Sorceress.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I did note in that video the guy was using things I don't have yet. Which is a shame because those are also some of my favorite things from the first one (Clockwork mace, grinder, and lightning armlet.) Or does The Warmage have a different item unlocks then The Sorceress.
    There are a couple different unlocks (Healing Wall and Dwarvern Hammer for the warmage, Mana well and Polymorph ring for the sorceress), but they otherwise differ in their initial weapon (blunderbuss and staff) and their initial traps (tar and arrow wall, freeze trap and acid sprayer).

Their unique traps have different unlocks as well (the acid sprayer can get a range upgrade, making it perfect for those 4 wide corridors that the arrow wall can't cover).

18. - Top - End - #18

Ah, I also found what I was missing. I assumed all the traps would unlock as the game progressed, not have to be bought with skulls. This last level just got a lot easier. I kinda just ignored the grey ones till I took a closer look.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I also found what I was missing. I assumed all the traps would unlock as the game progressed, not have to be bought with skulls. This last level just got a lot easier. I kinda just ignored the grey ones till I took a closer look.
    Yeah, it's easy to miss if you're skimming over the trap selection (I also wish there was some way to select what traps you want in the next level from the upgrade menu, rather than having to remember what you've upgraded).

Having re-played Mirror Image, I think my tactics are going to need some major re-work to 5-skull it, especially with those waves with two trolls wandering up opposite stairs.

20. - Top - End - #20

What's your time-zone? I'm also on the lookout for co-op.
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?