New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Poor Therkla. I've been on fetch-quests at least as bad as that, and hers had a time-limit.

And yay for more Sangwaan! I have a new favorite OotS character.

(Also, I'm willing to bet the folks getting the most melodramatic over the fulfillment schedule weren't even backers.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-02-19 at 08:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

That...was a pair of friends I didn't see coming. Well played. Also, that last line...deliciously ironic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Discussion of the new Therkla story, "Spoiler Alert," should go in this thread.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

4. - Top - End - #484
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Discussion of the new Therkla story, "Spoiler Alert," should go in this thread.
    hah. Was looking for the right thread.

Sangwaan's death was pretty brilliant. Also lord Rooster seems to be kinda of jerk. Which fits.
    Even in Winter, the cold isn’t always bitter, and not every day is cruel.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Orc in the Playground

Didn't expect the Sangwaan parts at all, but her role was thoroughly fantastic. Great to see her fleshed out a bit more A fun and engaging story overall, though it really sucks to know that Therkla's life really won't get much better, or last much longer after that.
    Last edited by Zordrath; 2015-02-19 at 08:21 PM.
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

6. - Top - End - #486
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zordrath View Post
    Didn't expect the Sangwaan parts at all, but her role was thoroughly fantastic. Great to see her fleshed out a bit more A fun and engaging story overall, though somewhat overcast by knowing that Therkla's life really won't get much better, or last much longer after that.
    Otoh, that was kinda the point? Whether or not a spoiler ruins the work. We knew she was going to die, and not in this adventure, but did that spoiler ruin the entire PDF?
    Even in Winter, the cold isn’t always bitter, and not every day is cruel.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Orc in the Playground

I didn't mean that this knowledge made the story worse, far from it - but seeing more of Therkla's life just made me want some more happy moments for her, and it's sad to already know that's not in the cards. Though as you said, that's part of the point and made the story much more impactful.
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Wow, just read "Spoiler Alert". That was beautiful. Well done, Giant.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

oh god i'm on the verge of tears after that. not too sure what the irony was in Sangwaan's death (the dragon was invisible?) but still powerful.

and poor Therkla never got to finish her dang book :/
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Wow, I'm not a particular fan of Therkla, but I really liked that one. Kind of depressing - especially once you pick up on the little things like
    Spoiler: Spoiler Alert
    Show
    the parallels between the opening scene and a later scene in the online comic
    - but also had some really funny moments.

Show
    It took me two readings before I got the "Mik-Guh Fan" joke. That was great, and groanworthy.

And man, did anyone see Sangwaan's part coming?? (No pun intended).
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Also, I wonder if the box around Therkla's hand in the last panel of page 4 is an error or if I'm misunderstanding something?

12. - Top - End - #492
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Wow, I'm not a particular fan of Therkla, but I really liked that one. Kind of depressing - especially once you pick up on the little things like
    Show
    the parallels between the opening scene and a later scene in the online comic
    - but also had some really funny moments.

Show
    It took me two readings before I got the "Mik-Guh Fan" joke. That was great, and groanworthy.

And man, did anyone see Sangwaan's part coming?? (No pun intended).
    Spoiler
    Show
    What joke about the fan? I don't get it?

And I agree, this was a really good story, and perfectly bittersweet. I'm glad we got to see Sangwaan fleshed out too, and at least they both had some happiness before they died. It was sad, but in that satisfying way. Also, I live seeing everyone in the upgraded art style.

13. - Top - End - #493

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    Also, I wonder if the box around Therkla's hand in the last panel of page 4 is an error or if I'm misunderstanding something?
    That's an error. Whoops. I can't fix it right now, I'll have to deal with it later.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

14. - Top - End - #494
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Totally worth the wait! I teared up at the end. Awesome story!

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mik-Guh Fan. MacGuffin.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

16. - Top - End - #496
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

God. GOD. Unf. Just made an account to say that the Therkla story was just. Fantastic. It's been said before but Giant is really a masterful story-teller. Love how it's such a small slice of Therkla's life but draws on the Sangwaan and Therkla and Kubota's future in the wider Oots mythology to feel really integrated into the epic story. And is there any theme greater than our place in the world, current and future? Loved the running joke of spoiler alerts and the McGuffin gag, too.

God, what a wonderful story, and beautiful epilogue.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

I was unprepared for this feels trip.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Show
    The object whose only purpose was to engineer an arbitrary conflict between Therkla and her opponent was named the "Mik-Guh Fan" - a play on "macguffin".

Edit: Ninja'd (appropriately enough) by Jasdoif.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-02-19 at 08:51 PM.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Spamalot in the Playground

Joke explanations:

Spoiler
    Show
    Mik-guh-fan sounds phonetically similar to "macguffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    oh god i'm on the verge of tears after that. not too sure what the irony was in Sangwaan's death (the dragon was invisible?) but still powerful.
    The joke there is that
    Spoiler
    Show
    "the condition that made her blind is what would take her life."

She gets it as she is falling because Xykon's dragon threw her.

She is about to be dropped on her head, likely as she became blind as a baby by being dropped on her head.

"condition" should probably have more accurately been "event" there, but that wouldn't have been as funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    and poor Therkla never got to finish her dang book :/
    I like to think she did in the months after the battle, though of course it was spoiled by the soldier.

Also, sad at the indirect confirmation that Sangwaan is indeed no more.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-02-19 at 08:52 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The joke there is that
    Spoiler
    Show
    "the condition that made her blind is what would take her life."

She gets it as she is falling because Xykon's dragon threw her.

She is about to be dropped on her head, likely as she became blind as a baby by being dropped on her head.

"condition" should probably have more accurately been "event" there, but that wouldn't have been as funny.
    I don't think that's it. I think it's more that
    Show
    she'd earlier told Therkla that if given a choice between a sudden death or a long, slow deterioration, "I hope when it is my time, no one sees it coming". And that's indeed what happened - but not in the way she was referring to.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I find it amusing that people are putting spoiler bars in a thread that specifically warns about "Unmarked spoilers". Doubly so since we're now talking about a work that has spoilers as one of its running themes.

Anyway, a combination of farce, pathos, and understanding. A difficult trio to pull off, but one well worth it.

Though, Rich, you DO realize that people are going to invoke Never Found the Body even MORE now, right? I mean, yes, it would totally detract from the sheer happiness that Sangwaan gets for going out on her terms (or at the very least, she's not going to die slowly and in incredible pain). But since when have minor little things like character happiness stopped epileptic trees from forming?
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-02-19 at 08:59 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

22. - Top - End - #502
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    (...)
    I like to think she did in the months after the battle, though of course it was spoiled by the soldier.

Also, sad at the indirect confirmation that Sangwaan is indeed no more.
    Unless the writer did live in Azure City, as we do know there were no "next month" for the 6th volume of the trilogy* to be released.

*I liked that joke, too.
    "It was a dark night that Thursday morning..."

23. - Top - End - #503
    Bugbear in the Playground

Excellent story. Gives you another look at known characters, one of them fairly minor after all, but makes you wonder just how many things we don't know about other characters.

I caught how
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kubota told Therkla that it wouldn't be necessary to learn more about poisons. That bastard.
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

24. - Top - End - #504
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I find it amusing that people are putting spoiler bars in a thread that specifically warns about "Unmarked spoilers". Doubly so since we're now talking about a work that has spoilers as one of its running themes.
    I was about to make the same comment. Thank you.

That story was beautiful. I really enjoyed the friendship that grew between Therkla and Sangwaan, and I'm sad it was so short-lived.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

25. - Top - End - #505
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    Excellent story. Gives you another look at known characters, one of them fairly minor after all, but makes you wonder just how many things we don't know about other characters.

I caught how
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kubota told Therkla that it wouldn't be necessary to learn more about poisons. That bastard.
    ... and he wanted a list of poisons she's studied. For the 'records'.

And of course: rumble. rumble. rumble.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    .And of course: rumble. rumble. rumble.
    Didn't even catch that until the second read through. It was like, "Hey......".

===

Nice (very minor) Erfworld shout out as well, BTW.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Sucks to be Sangwaan. Okay, she had a better safety net than most in her position, but still, losing her eyesight as a young girl to a condition that would kill her before 30?

And yes, I'm using unmarked spoilers. You have a problem? Maybe you shouldn't be in the thread that's called "OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*"

Spoilers are metaphorical clothing and I'm invisible!

28. - Top - End - #508
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    I cannot BELIEVE I didn't catch that. This also brings to light something I loved about this comic - it shows multiple unrelated events happening at the same time. It's like the Majora's Mask type storytelling, and I absolutely adore that. It really fleshes out the world in a way nothing else has ever accomplished as far as I'm concerned.

Giant, I know you receive a lot of praise (and criticism), so this will probably just fail in as another notch on the pole of people on your forum telling you they like your pretty pictures and all, but that was a delight to read and was an excellent example of why exactly I love your work.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

29. - Top - End - #509
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Did not understand the panels talking about hitomi's marriage. An officer and hobgoblin?

Bypassing that, this was a wonderful story and many thanks for it!

30. - Top - End - #510

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Giant, I know you receive a lot of praise (and criticism), so this will probably just fail in as another notch on the pole of people on your forum telling you they like your pretty pictures and all, but that was a delight to read and was an excellent example of why exactly I love your work.
    Thanks. This was a difficult one, writing-wise, so I appreciate it.
    Rich Burlew