New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Aequar: Runite's Rise IC

Elsee barely glances at the newer individual of the group, simply raising her hand palm-out for a seccond or two in greeting as her other hand as busy lifting a cup of fruit-juice to her mouth. As she lowered it again she swalled the drink down and and uttered her name before taking annother sip.

"Elsee."

Spoiler
    Show

Humgob group!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2013-03-03 at 01:04 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Badger smiled at the new arrival. "You can call me Badger, that's what how everyone knows me. You're not allergic are you?" She gestured to the dog lying by her side.

Spoiler
    Show
    No ideas as of yet.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Back in the alley

The goblin hurried off, leaving Sora there looking puzzled. She turned to leave the alley and looked around. The lengths of the shadows caused her to look up at the sun, shielding her eyes with her hand.

"Damn. Is it that late already? I wasn't able to shop at all!"

Sad that her morning seemed to have been wasted, she started heading toward the guild. They told her that they wanted to see her there to have her meet the group.

Present

She nods at each of them as introductions are made.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, hello again. Sorry about earlier, I let my emotions get the better of me. My name is Alim." he seems a little embarassed

Spoiler
    Show
    The Fighting Mongooses, that's a cool team name!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

The knocking continues, then pauses for a second as whomever is outside tests the door. Finding it unlocked, the unknown person opens the door. The five teammembers turn to see a young elf with pale green robes and jade green hair. He appraises them with his deep red eyes, and the snake coiled around his upper torso does so as well. The elf licks his lips, then says, confidently, but with a slight touch of nervousness, as though he's mentally rehearsed this several times, "Hello, good sirs. I was told that this was the head of the city watch? My name is Jadeite Nocrius, and I am recent graduate of Almir's premier magic academy, specializing in necromancy. I was told that to further my studies, I would need to obtain a permit..." Jadeite looks up and trails off, realizing that the people in front of him do not look like officers of Runite.

Spoiler
    Show
    Someone decided to mess with the newcomer and gave him wrong directions. Do whatever you want.

6. - Top - End - #36

"You mess around with the dead?" The Badger looked taken aback by this, and slightly nervous. The dead were like the past, gone and buried. Seeing the lost look on his face, she switched her attitude, he had probably been pranked by a "helpful" passerby. "This is a mercenary guild, not the city watch. I doubt they would take us."

7. - Top - End - #37

"Forgive me," Jadeite says with a bit of a bow, recovering quickly. "I merely believed that your fine guild would be able to assist me in this request, as you are clearly much more essential for maintaining law and order than those officially given such duties. After all, the watch relies on you for anything more dangerous than a common pickpocketer."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (d20+3)[14]

Roll sense motive to counter. Nothing of consequence here, just fun stuff.

He frowns a bit. "That's a rather crude way to put it. I assure you, my pursuits are wholly academic, and quite beneficial to the living. Unless you would rather I dissect live subjects?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-03-03 at 08:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alim will react the same way whether he falls for the bluff or not, still, it may come up: Sense Motive (1d20-2)[15]

Edit: for the record, that should only have been -1

"Oh, never mind the mistake. I can show you the way, if you don't mind I'd love to hear about your work. I am Alim, sadly a mostly theoretical student of the arcane." on his way to shake hands with the wizard Alim stops and looks back, "Erm, actually... after the unpleasantness earlier... would one of you humans mind accompanying us? I'd be much more comfortable."
    Last edited by Devmaar; 2013-03-03 at 08:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Alim:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jadeite's a good bluffer, but he's clearly covering for his mistake in identifying the building.

Jadeite somehow shakes Alim's hand without kneeling, then asks, "I did hear something of a commotion earlier?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-03-03 at 08:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes yes. Political trouble. Are you familiar with the situation here? Anyway, it's all a little fresh in my mind. While normally I'd be keen to discuss politics with anyone willing to join me, I'd like to leave that aside for now.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll go with you Alim' Artorias stands from the table and offers a callused hand towards the elf "Artorias Kaathe, at your service.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Local): (d20+3)[15]

"I like to keep abreast of international affairs," Jadeite replies. "Some sort of protracted debate over Plavaan citizenship, made even more prolonged thanks to the inherently quarrelsome nature of the Senate?" He laughs a little bit. "This would be the part where I offer you comfort and say that all species are alike on the inside...except that your skeletal structures are varied enough that anyone properly trained would be able to identify the skeleton's species at a mere glance. And I do consider myself properly trained."

Without skipping a beat, Jadeite smiles as he shakes Artorias' hand.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-03-03 at 09:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

O_0 " That is a morbid way of seeing things, anywaybyou were saying you were a Necromancy student right?"
    Just call me Dusk

14. - Top - End - #44

"Not morbid so much as true," he says. "but yes, I am a student of necromancy. I came to Runite as its labs would be best suited for my postgraduate research."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: (Arcana) or Knowledge: (Nobility/Royalty) to see why Jadeite just assumed he'd get a spot with no trouble whatsoever.

Are you guys enjoying yourselves? What do you think of Jadeite?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

"I really would be fascinated to discuss your studies. As long as you don't mind, of course.

Spoiler
    Show
    All that learning and I completely forgot the heal skill...

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps, I don't know much about graduate students, you see I am a humble mercenary; but I'm guessing you want to go to the Dean's office first.... unless you have already been there" Artorias stops and scratches his chin seemingly lost in thought "Errr I guess you should tell us in any case"
    Just call me Dusk

17. - Top - End - #47

Alim:

Spoiler
    Show
    Jadeite Nocrius is a member of the Nocrius family, a long line of elven spellcasters dating back over a thousand years, known for their expertise in the school of necromancy. There are six other families, each of them specializing in a different school of magic. The Nocrius family helped create many of the necromancy spells currently known, and if elves had noble families, they would be one of them, along with the six other family lines.

"As would I," Jadeite says. "What theoretical magic are you currently researching?

"Tell you what?"
    he asks the older man. "The nature of my current studies?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-03-03 at 09:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

"Sorry, sometimes I tend to ramble, I meant you should tellmus exactly where you want to go, though learning about Undead would be interesing nevermind useful, creepy little buggers that just refuse to stay down..." Artorias mumble the last part.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am assuming that as mercenaries we have encountered simple undead such as skeletons or zombies in some prior missions
    Just call me Dusk

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, hm, I rather fear my forays into the magical arts would appear laughably basic to one of your background. It is barely more than 2 years since I managed my first cantrip. Even now I struggle to do any more. One spell, no matter how simple, leaves me quite drained. I'm sure you'll be able to hold my interest much more than vice versa."

Spoiler
    Show
    It would not be entirely unfair to describe Alim as starstruck

20. - Top - End - #50

"You have not had formal training?" Jadeite asks. "You seem intelligent enough, though first impressions are often wrong."

He gives a little snort of derision at Artorias' statement. "A waste of valuable specimens. I sincerely hope you have not too many perverters of my crafts."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, but not too many. Also, Jadeite has...very little respect for cackling madman necromancers. I'll advance the plot in a little bit, I'm really enjoying this!

Alim should know that he's not exactly the perfect role model though.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-03-03 at 09:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Alas, such training is hard to come by for one of my... background. I am entirely self-taught. Well, in the magical part of my repertoire anyway. Thank you for the compliment though, my intellect is certainly my greatest asset, even if some do not recognise it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wisdom penalty says it may take him a while to figure that out... and if there's one thing Alim is sure of, it's his own brain.

22. - Top - End - #52

Jadeite is about to open his mouth and respond when the head of the guild approaches. He looks a bit out of breath, as if he's had to chase down every single team in the building--which he probably has, you realize as he speaks.

"Listen, I just got a call from the watch. They want us to help them out tonight, what with tensions running high and whatnot they're afraid of a riot, especially in this heat. A few more guys on staff might help keep things calm." He sighs. "Look, I'm sorry to ask, but do you think you all could keep an eye on the Bogs tonight? You've got two goblins; I think you'd be best able to talk down trouble before it really gets up."

He smiles a bit at Alim. "I'm sorry 'bout today, I truly am. If it makes you feel any better, we did get a few more to our side, and the others seemed closer...Another few years, and we'll see."

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone who lives in Runite--that is, everyone but Jadeite and Sora if she's not from here knows that the Bogs are the outskirts of the city, the slums where most of the Plavaan live.

Also, the head of the guild is on the Senate, and he did vote for Dierdre to be accepted (and therefore for Plavaan citizenship).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure, we can do that."

Alim takes a deep breath. He seems emotional

"And... thanks for trying."

Spoiler
    Show
    Do we still have time to show Jadeite his way before we have to work?
    Last edited by Devmaar; 2013-03-03 at 10:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Elsee rolls her eyes as she finishes her drink and slams the cup back onto the table, punching her chest with a fit to let out an elaborately loud belch. She'd been eyeing the elf silently since he walked in, she was never really the type for the magic-sorts, reminded her too much of her mother. Still, an Elf, pretty cute.

"Well EYE thenk you should answer a quick question ferst boss. We keepin the city safe from the bogs, or the bogs safe from the city? Good ta know what to get ready for after all."
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

The boss sighs. "I just want you to stop any trouble before it starts. I don't care if it's by talking or brawling, I just don't want any dead bodies tomorrow morning, and I don't give a gator's tooth if they're humanoid or Plavaan."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-03-03 at 11:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Elsee rolls her eyes again, rubbing her tattooed forehead a bit as she spoke.

huMAN boss, hu MAN. Plavaan are just as humanoid as you are, two arms and two legs yadda yadda.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

The Badger rolled her eyes. "Necro here could probably tell you what the difference is. He apparently knows us inside out already.
    She ran her fingers over the hatchets on her sides, blades wrapped in a spell so they did no harm. The quiver that held her other weapons and arrows was slung across her hip, a comforting weight.

"So death boy, did you want to help. We already are showing her the ropes." The Badger gestured to Sora.

Spoiler
    Show
    No offense at all the jabs at necromancy. You know why she doesn't really like the idea of the dead coming back to life. Or forensics for that matter...

And actually I am having some fun coming up with nicknames for him.
    Last edited by Athedia; 2013-03-04 at 01:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

As the elf talks about necromancy, the talk about everyone having the same skeleton sends a shiver down Sora's spine. She was quite happy to keep her skeleton in her skin, thank you very much.

When the guard comes in, Sora raises an eye in confusion and looks around.
    "Bogs?"

She reacted to Badger, placing her hand on her hips.
    "Show me the ropes of what exactly?"
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    As the elf talks about necromancy, the talk about everyone having the same skeleton sends a shiver down Sora's spine. She was quite happy to keep her skeleton in her skin, thank you very much.

When the guard comes in, Sora raises an eye in confusion and looks around.
    "Bogs?"

She reacted to Badger, placing her hand on her hips.
    "Show me the ropes of what exactly?"
    "The Outskirts, where most plavaan live"
    Just call me Dusk

30. - Top - End - #60

Anyone looking closely can see Jadeite's lips and eyes slightly narrow, in a cool voice, he airily replies, "I assure you, my work is entirely legitimate. Though unfortunately while my knowledge of anatomy is quite broad, I am sadly not as knowledgeable on the...finer details of what makes a species different. Not yet, anyway." The grin at the end of that is a little too toothy to be quite friendly.

"And boy. I suppose I must be thankful to have maintained my youthful complexion well into what you humans would consider old age."

The head of the guild demonstrates his toughness by remaining largely unfazed, telling the group, "Look, I don't want you walking into the Bogs after dark any more than you probably do, so I'd go if I were you. You too, necromancer! And next time, if you're going to sign up, submit an official request?"

Jadeite blinks. "Wait, what?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you guys want me to push you out the door and into the streets now?