New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Gish, Two Gish, Red Gish, Blue Gish [IC]

shaking off his previous failure Kaulesh moved forward sending out his fists as lightning crackles off his forearms, following into the bluish man before him.

Spoiler
    Show

Free action: Sacrifice 3rd level spell slot with arcane strike
    swift action: activate bracers of lightning.

Full attacks with snap kick
    Attack 1 - (1d20+19)[29]
    damage - (2d6+5)[15] + Arcane strike - (3d4)[5] + Lightning damage - (1d6)[3]

Attack 1 - (1d20+19)[39]
    damage - (2d6+5)[8] + Arcane strike - (3d4)[6] + Lightning damage - (1d6)[6]

Attack 1 - (1d20+14)[27]
    damage - (2d6+5)[13] + Arcane strike - (3d4)[4] + Lightning damage - (1d6)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Crit confirm
    Show

Crit confirm - (1d20+19)[20]
    Additional damage - (2d6+5)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Following Ghola's hasty departure, Varthok had started pacing nervously within the tent, his sense of unease intensifying as he listened to Thufir frantically relay Ghola's discovery and apparent plan. However, the source of his feelings was not that Inquisitors had been discovered inspecting the circus grounds — and what else would they be doing? Surely no one expected them to have left quietly after the performance was over — but that the first course of action they were attempting was a confrontation. 'Ghola's overreacting to the Inquisitors' presence. Even if they're coming straight for the tent that we're in, we can't afford to act rashly in a situation like this!' he thought to himself, 'We have to think through the consequences of everything we do while we're here.' Varthok found a sturdy chest to sit on and took a breath to steady himself. 'During the performance, I wasn't aware of any one of us using arcane magic, openly or not. Also, Diael and I are new faces... but not only are we new faces, we're last-minute additions. Even with the Arbiter having been fooled by our forged documents, we were bound to have raised someone's suspicions just by being here. However, suspicions might be the only thing they have.'

Varthok's shoulders slumped and his wings drooped slightly. The Ringmistress may have rationalized his appearance as being part of his act, but the only magic the Inquisitors would find on his person came from the items he wore. Neither would it take much inspection to realize that he wasn't wearing a costume or other disguse. Maybe it would have been better if he stayed behind with Sergei or if he'd taken Jheska's turn at watch this week... Shaking his head, he set such thoughts aside. There would be time to think of a solution to that problem later. He returned his attention to the matter at hand. 'If they did have any reasonable evidence that could be acted upon, I don't think they'd be bothering with a small, covert search party: they'd have come right for our tent and arrested us or attacked in force. They certainly have the numbers here to do it.' At that moment, Ghola reentered the tent, snatched a few things from one of his chests, took Thufir, and practically flew back outside. He had come and gone so quickly that Varthok didn't even have the chance to talk to him; he was moving so quickly. Diael turned himself in a small serpent and followed him through the tent flap. With a bit of a snort, and wishing that the elves had taught him how to change shape, he tried contacting Zoe. He wasn't very familiar with telepathy, though.

'Zoe?' he tried tentatively, wondering if thinking more "loudly" was how to do it. 'Zoe, can you hear me? If you can, I need to please relay something to Thufir or Ghola for me. Diael should probably hear this, too. Tell Ghola that I don't think this is such a good idea. I know that Ghola wants to protect the circus and the Inquisitors are making him feel worried, but I want him to think his plan over one more time. Even if we don't kill them — even if we just knock them unconscious — someone is bound to notice their disappearance, and someone, somewhere in the Inquisitors' chain of command, is going to know that the last place they were was here, inspecting the circus. The last thing any of us want is for your friends to be implicated in any way in what we're doing in the city right now, and I think the best way for us to do that is to get out of here as quickly as we can and regroup with the others. If the Inquisitors really thought that we'd performed illegal magic or broken the law in some other way, why would they bother sneaking around when there are dozens and dozens of them out there? If you really want to safeguard the circus, we can't give them any reason to believe that their suspicions are correct. Attacking some of them would give them the opposite impression, don't you think? Besides, our part in this plan was to distract the Inquisitors, and given their numbers here, I think we were successful. The entire reason for us being here is to get Armand's students out of Iatirroch; the sooner we do that, the sooner we'll all be out of immediate danger.'

After a pause, Varthok suddenly recalled something Zoe had said during the meeting the previous day, and tried contacting her again. 'Oh, and Zoe? Could you please tell Diael to come back to the tent? I think I need to take you up on your offer to borrow your magical disguising hat. It wouldn't be a good idea for me to leave this tent without it, since I'd draw too much unwanted attention our way.'
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2014-01-03 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

"Diael would like to remind you that small serpents don't move very fast, and that all of this slithering is making him tired. He does agree with you, by the way. He agrees that keeping the inquisitor's from returning would be a mistake."

Diael wiggles back into the tent. He returns to his normal form and hands the hat of Disguise to Varthok. He nods, avoiding words to make sure no one can overhear him. He makes his way out as a snake once more after making sure no one can see him. While he makes his way to Ghola, Zoe contacts Ghola again. "Diael says to be patient."
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

"Tell Diael I don't know what the hell that means!" Ghola continued to "look around for the chimera", in reality searching for the group of unknown performers.
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Ghola and Diael

The false circus performers don't look all that pleased to be interrupted in their totally innocent not-at-all-strange inspection of the circus by a mere animal trainer. They're about to make some excuses to avoid work when one of them looks harder at Ghola--the abundance of magic items on his person, specifically, and fortunately he doesn't notice a polymorphed Daiel--and his eyes widen; he motions the others over as discreetly as he can.

When they hear Ghola's story about the chimera, they trade significant glances. "It looks like someone's trying to cause a distraction," one of them, a male human, murmurs. "We should follow up on this." "Yes," one of the others, a female elf, replies suspiciously, "someone certainly is. Tell me, animal trainer," she addresses Ghola accusingly, "how did you manage to purchase all of those enchanted items on a performer's wage...and do you really need all of them for your act?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+12)[17] (1d20+9)[25] (1d20+14)[32]

Varthok

You can't really hear or see Ghola and Diael that well from your vantage point within the tent, but from what you can see and hear, it doesn't look like the false performers are buying it.

Aat and Kaulesh

The blue-skinned Inquisitor drops like a rock, two exceedingly well-placed arrows and an electrified fist catching him completely unawares and slaying him before he knew what was going on. The half-elf lets out a strangled "Jharit! No!" as his companion falls. He crouches down, placing one hand on the fallen Inquisitor and the other on a small silver holy symbol hanging around his neck.

The half-elf shoves the holy symbol toward both of you and shouts "Filthy heathen bastards!" Two brilliant white rays of light leap from the holy symbol, one streaking towards each of you. You both manage to twist out of the way enough to avoid the worst of whatever spell that was, but you do feel a nasty chill as the rays graze you. Without even looking to see if the rays strike home, the Inquisitor chants "Mielikki, Forest Queen, save us!" The Inquisitor and the corpse-formerly-known-as-Inquisitor disappear with a flash of blue-green light and a pop of displaced air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ranged touch vs. Aat: (1d20+21)[29]
    On a hit, Aat takes (3d6)[13] cold damage and must make a Ref save ((1d20+16)[29] vs. DC 23) or be frozen.

Ranged touch vs. Kaulesh: (1d20+21)[41]
    On a hit, Kaulesh takes (3d6)[11] cold damage and must make a Ref save ((1d20+14)[31] vs. DC 23) or be frozen.

Spellcraft
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC 19
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Inquisitor teleported away with dimension door.

DC 21
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Inquisitor attacked with a metamagicked freezeSpC.

Armand

The students turn around curiously as some indistinct shouting and flashes of light arise from the alleyway that their tails entered earlier, but they wisely stay put--well, most of them do, and the two students who want to go investigate are yanked back by their more cautious classmates. If some sort of authority figure doesn't show up soon, though, they might just give into their curiosity.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-12-06 at 01:36 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

"...someone certainly is. Tell me, animal trainer," she addresses Ghola accusingly, "how did you manage to purchase all of those enchanted items on a performer's wage...and do you really need all of them for your act?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff for years as member: (1d20)[19]+4=[23]
    Bluff for receiving from deity: (1d20)[17]+4=[21]
    Bluff for rat droppings in chimera cage: (1d20)[8]+4=[12]

Ghola's face scowled. "For starters, I've been a member of this circus for nearly 10 years, and was a child performer with another circus before that. Besides that, I payed for these to be crafted by a friendly cleric of Corellon Larethian." Ghola got in closer before turning away in disgust. "We don't have time for this! I found rat droppings in the chimera's cage, which mean she's likely been bitten. She's probably wounded and frightened, and in that fragile state she could very well attack anyone who gets too close! Now you can help me or get out of the way, but we need to find her." Ghola shifted his weight, preparing to run off, while still remaining in place long enough to here their response. "I've got to tell Fi'la."
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2013-12-06 at 06:59 PM.
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

Quietly Armand exits the alley where he's been lurking for hours, stretching his legs with a jerk; approaching the knot of students. In the form of a halforc man, his voice is deep and guttural. "You were told to come, and you did. You were told what road to take, and you did. Weren't you also told to be careful, because you failed."

He sneers and spits at the ground between him and the students. "Two men just died for you lot. Worse still, some of you wanted to go watch. Did you think you could do anything save add to the body count?"

Silently, he watches the students for a moment and draws a flail. "You've been seen, your lives are in danger. You can only help your families by leaving. One chance. Will you come?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+25)[40]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+5)[22]

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Kaulesh grunts as the magic freezes his skin, burning him badly, he manages to avoid the worst of the blast however, dodging the blast with a duck and a weave.

He instantly recognized the magic deployed, the man hadn't gone far, but far enough.

Turning to his companion, "We must hurry, they are onto us, and now they know something is about!" he grabs his companion and casts a spell, teleporting them to the meeting spot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not even sure where that is, but I'm assuming Kaulesh does
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2013-12-11 at 12:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Aat

"Damn..." Aat obviously is not amused by having one of his hated foes disappearing while he had a good next shot lined up. He looks around frantically, seeing if he can spot the inquisitor, but then lets Kaulesh take him elsewhere. "Right."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Ghola, Diael, and Varthok

The false performers trade some more glances and subtly shift around to give themselves more room to move. "A 'friendly cleric of Corellon Larethian' took time out of his busy day to craft equipment, not for a priest or a warrior, but for a circus performer? And a non-elf at that?" the female elf asks skeptically while the third of their number, a male elf, rolls his eyes at the very idea. The male human chimes in, "And you expect us to believe that a rat was a threat to a chimera, even a baby one?" "I'm afraid," their apparent leader continues, "that we are going to have to ask you to come with us to the Hall of Justice to answer a few questions."

The human fetches a pair of small silver chains about a foot long from one of his pockets while the male elf reaches a hand inside his shirt, most likely to rest on a concealed holy symbol. "Please remove your magic items and place your hands across your chest. If you do not comply," the female elf says in the harsh but slightly bored voice of one long used to talking to suspected criminals as she pulls out a small pendant identifying her as an Inquisitor of Corellon Larethian, "we are authorized to use lethal force."

Armand

The nearest students jump a bit in surprise as the burly half-orc appears out of nowhere. A few of them instinctive raises their hands into a casting position before realizing that informing a random stranger that you can use illegal magic is probably not the brightest idea, and one of the students sighs and steps forward. He's not the oldest one there, only about sixteen years old when there are a few who look to be in their early twenties (or the nonhuman equivalent), but he seems to be the most serious and collected one present. "Sorry about them, sir, they're fairly new to our group and I haven't pounded caution into their heads yet. Now, I'm--"

He is interrupted by one of the others, the detestable Eamonn Bracegirdle. "Whaddya mean, leave our families? I never agreed to--!" "Yes you did, you swore when you first joined us that you'd do it if you had to protect the group and your family, and keep your voice down!" "But--!" "Shut the frak up, for once in your life." Eamonn sulks a bit, but a nervous look at the very large, armed and dangerous half-orc convinces him not to argue. The friend of Eamonn who you couldn't identify in the scrying pool earlier also looks like he's having second thoughts, but Ginny LaFonde, Peter Parquah, Jasmine Verrano, and the other four students look at least resigned to the idea of leaving, if not downright enthusiastic in Ginny's case.

"As I was saying, sir, I'm going to have to ask for some proof you are who you say you are before we go anywhere or do anything. It wouldn't do for our study group to have run into an, ah...substitute teacher," their leader says.

Speaking of proving one's identity, as far as you can tell these students are legitimate, with no suspicious bulges in their clothes that could be a weapon or a holy symbol and no erratic behavior that can't be put down to nerves. You'll want to look them over with arcane sight later to be sure, of course.

Aat and Kaulesh

You feel the usual twisting sensation of Astral transit as you disappear from the back alley and reappear in the secluded clearing in the forest that you all previously decided upon as a meeting spot. A minute or so after you appear, during which your comrades are presuably checking you for enchantments or hidden spies, Moriah and Tarnoc come out of hiding and usher you out of the clearing. "What took you so long?" Tarnoc asks impatiently. "It's been forever! Are the students coming? What's going on?" Moriah raises a calming hand, but she also looks concerned. "You two are the first to arrive," she notes quietly, "and we haven't heard anything from the others. Did you run into any trouble?"

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Aat

Aat grunts as he is being questioned. "We were following the students when we noticed they had a tail." He nods at Kaulesh as he continues: "We created a diversion and managed to, ehm, occupy the two inquisitors that were following the students. Then, Kaulesh transported us here." That last bit comes out in a manner that conveys that Aat was not quite aware where the transport would be headed to. "As far as I know, the students are on their way...without tail." He shrugs. "I haven't seen the others since the circus show, which was quite enjoyable, by the way."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, I'm sure the show was great," Tarnoc says, "but this whole circus thing was a big waste of time, if you ask me. We committed way too many of us to such a risky plan, and look where it got us." The tone of voice he uses is roughly the same that one would use to say Oh, you all got chocolate bars? Whatever, that's fine. I hate chocolate, anyways, and they probably tasted terrible, so I'm glad you didn't get me one.

"They had Inquisitors following them?" Moriah echoes. "That's not good, not good at all. We knew they might have been compromised going into this, of course, but...still, this could cause a lot of problems. We might have to abandon our Iatirroch efforts entirely if we can't figure out a good way to cover this all up."

Show

<Snip>

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Master Kaulesh nods, his bare head shines in the sunlight as he has transformed back to his prior shape, his eyes glisten with mischief as Aat relays the information of the happenings.

"Indeed, the Inquisitors were tailing them, I did what I could, and needless to say, they do not expect our intervention on the students behalf, more so in other ways." he smiles wanly "Alas, we failed to prevent their escape, and they fled, they will have notified their masters and all will be on high alert."

Kaulesh stretches and runs through some practice maneuvers while they stand, recovering his lost maneuvers.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2014-04-01 at 07:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

"Your old teachers are dead to you; if you contact them, you put them and us in danger. Who I am? I'm Grok until you're safe, the first of your new masters. First lesson, don't tip your hand by grabbing at ox hairs, glowbugs, and bat ****. Grab for steel when scared, like a normal person Second lesson."
    His eyes narrow as he twines the fingers of his left hand in a cantrip. "Be careful when dealing with unknowns."

Spoiler
    Show

Action: Casting detect magic without using the conceal spellcasting skill trick.
    Spellcraft checks as necessary.
    (1d20+34)[44]
    (1d20+34)[44]
    (1d20+34)[45]
    (1d20+34)[41]
    (1d20+34)[48]
    (1d20+34)[43]

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

"Zoe? Are you and Diael close by? I've made contact and can't teleport this many people."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Armand

The students react like a class being reprimanded by their teacher for failing a test--which is rather appropriate, given your real identity. The students who instinctively tried to cast spells blush and put their hands in their pockets, then jerk their hands out of their pockets in case you take that as "reaching for spell components" again. The others just look away, mentally kicking themselves.

Giving the students a quick scan for magical auras, you detect no auras on any of them except for the apparent ringleader. Very faint blue sparks are visible out of the corners of your eyes when you look at him; focusing briefly, you are able to will the sparks into something more substantial and get a good look at the bluish traces of magic around him. It's purely protective magic, fortunately for him, with no magical tracers or anything suspicious.

"A cantrip? That's it? Come on, even I can--" one of the twenty-somethings sneers, but the ringleader cuts him off with a chopping motion. "First of all, he's right, we're all unknowns, and I wouldn't show a stranger what I could do either at our first meeting. Unlike some of us. Second, that could have been a divine spell from an Inquisitor and we could all be dead or worse right now." The rest of the students pale at that last remark, and unconsciously shuffle closer together for protection while looking around warily for Inquisitors to step out of every shadow. "So what now? Are you going to take us to your secret headquarters or something?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The ringleader has a misdirection effect up, hiding a prestidigitation and a mage armor.

Students' Spellcraft checks to ID Armand's spell:
    (1d20+9)[28]
    (1d20+7)[26]
    (1d20+5)[11]
    (1d20+5)[8]
    (1d20+4)[18]
    (1d20+3)[4]
    (1d20+3)[20]
    (1d20+3)[11]

Aat and Kaulesh

"What?" Tarnoc yelps, "They got away!? By Sune's b--uh, hair," he swears, quickly editing his curse for Moriah's benefit, "we've got to do something! The others are probably in huge trouble, and if Armand isn't back yet something must have gone wrong with the students too!"

"Calm down," Moriah advises, "a rescue is the last thing we want to try, whether they're in trouble or not. Ghola is a professional actor, I'm sure he can talk his way out of any trouble he and the others run into. Let's wait until we hear something from them before we decide on a course of action."

Show

<Snip>

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Aat

Aat nods stoically. "Aye, they got away. The few seconds I saw them in action indicated they were well-trained Inquisitors... he spits out the last word as if it was a rotten grape. "Good thing we intercepted them, though, and managed to distract them. Otherwise, for sure they would have found Armand and the students." Aat manages to sucessfully fight the urge to remind people that he thought this was an unwise idea to begin with. "As it stands, they still have a chance. As for our friends in the circus, I am sure they can fend for themselves."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

"Some of you are unknowns, some I know quite a bit about. Ginny, Peter."
    He indicates each with a nod of his head before dropping almost to a whisper. "And yes, something minor is all you get; so it wears off before we hit the walls. We take the gate that leads to the circus, then veer north three quarters of the way. After a mile, we cross a stream and go uphill. There's a large oak standing sentinel on a bare hill. If there are no problems, just follow me. If there are problems, I'll stay behind and meet you there, or one of my fellows will find you. He's big, hairy, and overly friendly."

Armand pauses, looking down the street where he last saw the inquisitors with his divination. "If there are no questions, split into groups. I want one torch or dark adapted person in each group. Don't use the torches unless you absolutely have to, they give away your position. And son? Those're hidden, but I'd rather you ditched them before we hit the walls, secrecy will help us more than anything else."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check where inquisitors went: (1d20+25)[30]

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Armand

The group of students turns as one to glare accusingly at Ginny and Peter when their names are mentioned, since everyone in the group was supposed to avoid drawing attention to themselves yet this strange man obviously knows too much about them. They shrug helplessly; he's a mage, who knows how he gets his information?

The ringleader looks embarrassed when you call him out, and the fact that you can effortlessly see through the ringleader's misdirection seems to convince the doubters to trust you. They don't argue when the ringleader sorts them into two groups, a half-orc and a dwarf serving as their respective darkness-adapted guides. "All right, we're ready...sir," the ringleader says. "And, uh, what should we call you?"

When you look down the street, you can't see the Inquisitors very clearly, but you can catch some signs of movement on the far rooftops. It seems that either the Inquisitors from the alley teleported towards the circus and are waiting for backup, or they teleported elsewhere and you're seeing the backup, but in either case there are Inquisitors between you and the circus.

Aat and Kaulesh

"Fine," Tarnoc sighs, giving in more to stop arguing than because he actually agrees. "But they'd better check in soon. Can someone at least scry on them and see what's keeping them so long?"

Show

<Snip>

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

After Diael had slithered back out of the tent, Varthok was left alone again to eavesdrop as best he could on the coversation. His hearing was excellent, of that there was little question, but from his vantage point sitting on one of the Ghola's chests, it was still difficult to make out exactly what was being said and by whom. Hoping to get a better idea of the current situation, he stood up and began to pace back and forth in front of the tent's entrance flap, the borrowed hat of disguise clutched tightly in one paw. It really did not sound as if Ghola was having any success with whatever it was that he had attempted to do — if anything, it seemed as if things had become even worse for him — and Varthok's heart starting sinking. 'Oh, no. No, no, no. He's in trouble now, isn't he? Ghola, what are you doing out there? Why did you have to make a scene?' Varthok resumed his nervous pacing, wringing the hat in both paws as he walked. Why did Ghola have to volunteer the circus' involvement? It might have been a noble thing if they knew what they were getting themselves into, but instead their lives were hanging in the balance because of Diael, Ghola, and Varthok simply being there in the first place. 'I've got to do something to help Ghola, but what? Think, Varthok! There's got to be some way out of this mess we're in!'

He started assessing everything available to him inside the tent, hoping to find something that would prompt his mind to start forming a plan. There was Varthok's greatsword propped against the chest he'd been sitting on, and although violence was the last thing on his mind at the moment, he nevertheless strode over to it and gently, tenderly, picked it up. As he hefted the weapon, he marveled once more at how perfectly it fit in his paw, as if it had been forged just for him. There were only various and sundry mundane things lying about in Ghola's tent, and he didn't have time to get the exact details from Zoe; all Varthok had was himself, his sword, and the magic that Negiarkos itself granted him, and the only solid information he had to work with was that which his own intuition and insight granted him. It would have to be enough. Too many lives hung in the balance. Even the Inquisitors'. Knowing Ghola, he'd likely been caught in a lie and, given his current state of mind, it was probably outrageous and poorly thought-out. He was panicking. Diael probably couldn't be asked to salvage the story he'd concocted, but his condition did present an opportunity by itself.

'Thufir said Ghola wanted to set some of the animals free as part of a trap. And Ghola mentioned something about a chimera, didn't he?' Varthok articulated a soft “hrm.” What to do with that? 'I'm not any good at lying, and those Inquisitors are going to be in a suspicious mood, so I can't just invent something on my own and hope that it'll fool them. I have to work within the framework of Ghola's existing story, or else they'll know that I'm trying to deceive them. But I also have to make them unwilling to believe anything Ghola's already told them, or else he might still be arrested when we're done. But how do I do that? How can I make him credible and not credible at the same time? How can I fool them into thinking he wasn't trying to fool them at all?' Varthok lowered the sword to his side and rubbed his forehead with his mostly-free paw, uttering a soft growl of frustration. 'I'd have to make it seem as if—' His eyes snapped open. 'As if someone had fooled Ghola first!' He quickly jammed the hat of disguise on his head and reached out for Zoe again. 'Zoe! Zoe, tell Diael I've got an idea! And tell him to wait for my next message so I can explain. But first, I'm going to summon something!' He was too excited, anxious, and nervous to wait for a response or even consider how Diael might find that incredibly, incredibly worrying instead of comforting. But he didn't care: this had to work!

It didn't seem likely that he could leave the tent unnoticed, so he took several steps backwards, towards the part of the tent that was diametrically opposite where Ghola and the Inquisitors were standing, and he didn't stop until he could feel his fur brush the fabric; he'd have to speak clearly for the spell to work, but he also had to be as quiet as he possible could so as not to alert them or anyone else in the vicinity. He reached inward, drawing up the magic from within his mind and soul, teasing apart the spell's structure and form that it had been given by meditative prayer and the power of nature, releasing it into a burst of pure divine energy that suffused him and tingled with anticipation, a longing to be unleashed. With his free hand, he began making gestures; with his voice he began to utter the words of power, as quietly as he could manage; with his mind, he began to form raw magic into a summoning, just as he'd been taught not all that long ago.

Spoiler: Turn summary
    Show

Actions taken:
    Make a Listen check to determine if there's anyone or anything within earshot of Ghola's tent: (1d20+24)[4](4) Result: 28.

Convert one (1) prepared casting of extended stoneskin into a spontaneous summon nature's ally IV to conjure a pixie. (12 rounds remaining)
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2014-05-01 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Kaulesh turns to Aat, "I do not have such an ability, are you capable of scrying them?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Aat

Aat ponders a moment. "No...well, I can scout on the ethereal by proxy. But, my proxy would have to travel to the site. That may take too long."

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    How far away are we? I can summon an Ethereal Agent at any point I can see which can then travel 400 feet per minute to the city. I am thinking it is hopelessly far way.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Diael's head...

"Diael?"
    "Mhm..."
    "Diael, Varthok is up to something."
    "Can it wait? I'm appraising the situation."
    "No, I think is might be import-"
    "Zoe, I am trying to concentrate. It's vital I do not give my position away, but Ghola may be in need of aid."
    "Diael!"
    "WHAT?! I'm trying not to be discovered here! Do you know what will happen if I can't calculate my next move perfectly?"
    "Oh, there you go again! Only thinking about yourself! Well, Varthok is going to summon some critter or something. I though that might be handy!"
    "Oh, confounding my machinations, is he? Tell him he's making a huge mistake."
    "Harrumph!"

Varthok

A grumpy Zoe can be heard in Varthok's mind. "Diael says it's cool," she says, ending with a purr that almost sounds too smug.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-04-15 at 05:28 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Aat and Kaulesh

"Yeah, it'd never get there in time," Tarnoc sighs. "I know Jheska can scry, but all of the spells she knows take forever to cast, and I don't think Galad or Sergei know any scrying spells. Cuthbert damn it, I knew I should have convinced Galad to study more divinations!"

Spoiler
    Show
    As mentioned waaaaay back in the OOC thread, the edge of the forest is more than a mile from the city walls, and even if you guys were standing right on the edge it would take the ethereal agent at least a minute to get from where Aat has line of sight to where Ghola and the others are.

Show

<Snip>

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

"Grok, like I said. And don't bother accusing them. They've done so well hiding their talent, I'd never have guessed." Turning away from the rooftop inquisitors, he begins to walk at right angles to his intended destination.

"Change of plan; I see magic items and active abjurations on the rooftops. No casting, no active spells, hide any magic items, even a lucky coin. Ditch them in a canal if you can't hide them, everything can be replaced except your lives. I'll probably have to split off at some point, I can't lose myself in a crowd if they can sense my presence."
    "We'll head north for a bit, meander our way through the streets until we hit a different gate. Then we'll go around the city until we're near the circus, after that it's the same as before. They'll be easier to avoid out of the city where it's harder to box us in; even if they're more likely to attack where there's no bystanders.
    "

He pauses. "I want to avoid bridges, canals, and narrow streets or alleys, but I don't know the entire city. Can you help me with that?"
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2014-04-19 at 02:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Armand

The ringleader shoots you a sour look when you give him the same name again, obviously hoping you would reveal more about yourself now that you all tentatively trust one another, but he reluctantly nods and dismisses his spells when you order it. "No one brought any magic items, like I told you, right?" The students all shake their heads in the negative. "Good."

"No bridges, canals, or back streets?" Ginny clarifies. "That just leaves main streets. Or...I guess we could cut through the university; there are still a few streets between the sociology buildings and University Gate, but it's a lot less conspicuous than just walking up Orphean Avenue." "But everyone there knows us!" Peter objects. "Sure, we'd be kind of obvious walking up the main streets in a big group, but if we run into a professor or some friends they might slow us down, and anyway they'll remember that we were there if the Inquisition asks around about us."

The two of them argue a bit more about the better route before the ringleader cuts them off and gives you a shrug. "Well, Grok, you're the expert at evading the Inquisition, which way do you think we should go?"

Show

<Snip>

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

"I've always avoided notice; running once they've noticed you? Much harder. Once their attention is on you, you've got to take drastic measures like move into a war zone and hope they don't notice you again. Skilled and careful allies helps too. We'll go through the university, act natural and think up an excuse if you meet a friend." He pauses a moment. "There aren't many halforcs at the university right? What about if I looked like that teacher from the Wet Whistle?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

"I dunno..." Peter says. "You might look like him, but can you act like him? What if someone wants to talk to him while we're going through?" "That's easy," Ginny says, "professors are always annoyed when they have to re-grade stuff, so he can just act all grumpy and they'll probably go away."

Peter doesn't seem convinced, but the ringleader does, and he gives your plan a firm nod. "It's worth the risk, I think. We're less noticeable, and everyone but Grok is on familiar ground which will help if things go to Hades in a handbasket. Let's do it.

Show

<Snip>

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

"Grumpy? That's not hard. If a professor approaches, I'll need someone to intercept and say his name. If you know he uses a nickname; use that." Armand states as they move.

As he passes each small alley, Armand glances inside looking for any lurkers or other denizens. Finding one empty, he turns back towards the meeting point for another view of the inquisitors. With a brief "Wait here" command to the students, he darts inside and quickly dismisses his spell; regaining his natural form, albeit now dressed in the overlarge clothes of a halforc. "Your lessons," he says "will include self defense, eschewing the use of components, and hiding both the telltale motions and overall effects."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot checks. Use as appropriate
    (1d20+25)[27]
    (1d20+25)[26]
    (1d20+25)[35]
    (1d20+25)[33]
    (1d20+25)[44]