New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Should I Houserule Away with The Multiclass XP-penalty?

Basically all the title says. I am not very experienced DM playing with a group of players who know even less than me about D&D.

I ask this question because on this forum people often suggest builds which use three or four classes, not counting Prestige, and I just don't understand how they could work with the penalty’s as described in de PHB.

so I wonderd, what do you guys do?

Keep it or get rid of it?

(oh, we're playing 3.5)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Should I Houserule Away with The Multiclass XP-penalty?

Each race has a favored class which negates one multi-class penalty if you go into that favored class.

Otherwise it is less of a headache if you just get rid of it.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I say chuck it out the window (along with racial alignments but that's one houserule that I always implement, along with a bonus feat or extra skill point for half-elves and half-orcs).
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-04-09 at 02:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I do.

If you want to keep favored classes, but do away with the XP penalty for multiclassing, take a leaf from Pathfinder: When you take your first level in your favored class, you choose (irrevocably) HP or Skill points. Every level of your favored class, you gain 1 additional HP or Skill point, depending on what you chose 1st level.
    [GENERATION 17: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

forum people often suggest builds which use three or four classes, not counting Prestige
    Keep in mind the penalty only applies when you have classes that are more than 1 level apart from each other, and your Favored Class doesn't count. So if you take, say, a Human, and make a build like Class X 2/Class Y 2/Class Z 2/Class A 10.. there is no multiclass penalty on that. But there *is* a penalty if you are doing an 'organic' progression and decide that events in the character's life warrant slipping a level in Rogue or something into your Wizard..

Which is why many people ditch the multiclass penalty. It does *not* discourage multiple dips and carefully planned builds, which would appear to be the intended purpose, and it *does* harm spontaneous development of a character, which is generally considered to be a bad thing by most of the people I've heard tender opinions on it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Get rid of it. Multiclassing doesn't really make you X% more powerful, so it wouldn't be fair to penalize it like that.

Until the players start to maximize their saves. You might want to use the fractional saves rule from Unearthed Arcana when that happens.

7. - Top - End - #7

ElfRogueGirl

Most people seem to play without it to the point were people feel the need to actually point out if they DO use it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Multiclass XP-penalty? What Multiclass XP-Penalty?

Oh THAT multiclass XP-penalty!

Yes, you should totally ignore that. It's completely pointless.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, get rid of it.

I always favor reduced bookkeeping and smoother rules. If you want a penalty for multiclass (why?) make it a one-time XP payment they make when they first add a new class.

If you're worried about powergaming and strange class combinations, talk out of game to your players.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah Nikita, I thought so to, but I wasn't sure so I wanted to check.

thanks every one for the imput, it seems to be unanimous so I'll get rid of it.

btw, my players have yet to master the complicated rules governing which die they should role in which situation (they keep trying to do damage with there d20) so I doubt it will be an issue soon

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Get rid of it. It makes no sense anyway (what it amounts to is permitting every elf to take a few levels of wizard to go with their main class, rather than making elves better wizards).

Replace it with the Conan d20 favored class rule: for every 5th level you take in your favored class (one class chosen at 1st level for humans and half-elves), you get a bonus feat.

The Pathfinder rule is okay, too.

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    Get rid of it. Multiclassing doesn't really make you X% more powerful, so it wouldn't be fair to penalize it like that.

Until the players start to maximize their saves. You might want to use the fractional saves rule from Unearthed Arcana when that happens.
    IMO the fractional BAB and saves are always better anyway - sometimes they work out to the players' advantage (like, say, a wizard 1/rogue 1 getting BAB +1 instead of +0). Also, only give good saves the +2 bonus at first level once.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Wait... there are people who play with that rule?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by laeZ1 View Post
    I do.

If you want to keep favored classes, but do away with the XP penalty for multiclassing, take a leaf from Pathfinder: When you take your first level in your favored class, you choose (irrevocably) HP or Skill points. Every level of your favored class, you gain 1 additional HP or Skill point, depending on what you chose 1st level.
    FYI, that isn't how Pathfinder does it.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

14. - Top - End - #14

The better question is, does anyone actually use the muliclass XP penalty? It's probably the most ignored piece of RAW ever.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Favored Class
    Each character begins play with a single favored class of his choosing—typically, this is the same class as the one he chooses at 1st level. Whenever a character gains a level in his favored class, he receives either + 1 hit point or + 1 skill rank. The choice of favored class cannot be changed once the character is created, and the choice of gaining a hit point or a skill rank each time a character gains a level (including his first level) cannot be changed once made for a particular level. Prestige classes (see Prestige Classes) can never be a favored class.

Isn't that what I said
    [GENERATION 17: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by laeZ1 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Favored Class
    Each character begins play with a single favored class of his choosing—typically, this is the same class as the one he chooses at 1st level. Whenever a character gains a level in his favored class, he receives either + 1 hit point or + 1 skill rank. The choice of favored class cannot be changed once the character is created, and the choice of gaining a hit point or a skill rank each time a character gains a level (including his first level) cannot be changed once made for a particular level. Prestige classes (see Prestige Classes) can never be a favored class.

Isn't that what I said
    You aren't locked into always getting HP or skill points based on your choice at your first level in your favored class. You get to choose which one you receive at each level in your favored class.
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD, Favored Class
    (Emphasis mine)
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-04-09 at 04:40 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow. You are absolutely correct. I've misread that every time.

Thanks much!

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    The better question is, does anyone actually use the muliclass XP penalty? It's probably the most ignored piece of RAW ever.
    I don't, as evidenced by the fact that I actually had to go and look up how it works when I saw this topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    When I first started DMing, I enforced the XP penalty. I'm embarrassed to say that I kept to it for years before changing my mind.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-04-09 at 06:27 PM.

"What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Measure rules changes by their effect. If you think the players aren't multi-classing enough, do away with the penalty.

Bu if your game is not being hurt by insufficient multi-classed characters, then there's no reason to change the rule.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

You should keep the rule. It's perfectly logical to punish the dirty munchkin for dipping Fighter 2 with his Barbarian, while doing nothing to the player who takes Druid to 20. In fact, you should probably reward the latter player with bonus XP.

The rule is absolutely stupid. WotC created a brilliant mechanic, and then decided to nerf it for people using it intuitively even when it wasn't always a good choice.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I do think it's funny that you can get penalized for taking dips in classes that make your character worse.

Wait, is that a Barbarian 15/Sorcerer 2? Egads, the brokenness! It must be stopped at all costs! Oh, you've got a Wizard 17? That's cool.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I ever thought the XP penalty was a good idea.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-04-09 at 09:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

It's like the massive damage rule.

It's so awful, and so universally ignored, nobody even knows it exists and is practically a variant rule.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2013-04-09 at 09:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

ElfRogueGirl

It's so awful, and so universally ignored, nobody even knows it exists and is practically a variant rule.
    Now now, the idea behind the massive damage rule is all right actually, but my DM tends to prefer to run it with being a specific amount of your characters total hp (think it's like half hp or above) to be considered "massive damage". The XP Penalty for multi-classing doesn't even have an "all right" basic idea going for it. :p

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    I do think it's funny that you can get penalized for taking dips in classes that make your character worse.

Wait, is that a Barbarian 15/Sorcerer 2? Egads, the brokenness! It must be stopped at all costs! Oh, you've got a Wizard 17? That's cool.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I ever thought the XP penalty was a good idea.
    Are there actually any classes or appreciable shifts to power that might happen if there was a limit even on prestige classes, let alone base class multiclassing idiocy (your mentioned Barb 15/Sorc 2)? Hell, do prestige classes even count as multiclassing?

Because if they don't, then I find it hilarious that a Wiz 5 / Inc 10 / IotSV 4 / Tainted Scholar 1 wouldn't take a penalty, but a Fighter 2 / Rogue 2 / Monk 2 / Barbarian 14 (feats, evasion, flurry of blows and Monk AC!) would.
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

26. - Top - End - #26

Prestige classes never count towards multiclassing penalties.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

27. - Top - End - #27

Yeah, the fact that prestige classes don't even count for it makes the rule REALLY badly written.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I've never had a problem with that rule in D&D 3E (though I rarely remember it), but it's the cornerstone of the combat balance in d20 Modern, Conan d20, and Call of Cthulhu d20.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I've never had a reason to house rule it really at all. I don't reward XP as a 'group' reward, so people can get different values, and to date I think I've had it only leave someone behind in level once...

Simply put: The worst thing that can happen with it is someone falls behind (which is part of the intention), but if you don't feel you want to deal with that or the issue of recalculating their XP then throw it out, or find other methods to mitigate it.

On a pure side note: There are legitimate ways in the game system to remove the penalty (though few in number). I know that one of the lures of Lyrist is in any game where the DM is a hardass on multiclassers is that it removes the penalty entirely.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

On the road, heading to an abandoned church.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Actually...

Actually, I disagree with the ''ignore it'' comments above. The Multiclass XP-Penalty is a well though rule that keeps PCs in a sole line (or an specific build) without getting OP. If this ISN'T true, then think about the roleplaying.

• Martainz: Il'l take my path as a fighter, yeah... But, what the hell? Il'l go cleric this time, I want to cast 5th level spells :D. Oh, Rogue you said? Barbarian? Wizard!! Artificer~~ Those are interesting jobs! But I would like to continue my path as fighter after all that, and maybe adding more divinity to myself as the cleric I will be.
    You should remember that not all the rules are made-and-applied to combat only. Roleplaying is an important part of D&D (and a lot of ''roleplaying'' games... duh?), and the fact that gnomes are good being social as bards, and the elves are more used to study magic as wizards (which personally I don't know why...) is a story and roleplaying issue. Think about it.

Now, what I would suggest you to Houserule, is to change favored classes according to backgrounds or applying as the Tinker Gnome from DragonLance: ''The first class chosen by the gnome will be its favored class.''
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.