New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

Q 553

If an Incantatrix uses Cooperative Metamagic to enhance an allies' spell, does she suffer a -5 penalty to the Spellcraft check if the spell is from a banned school?
    Last edited by Sylian; 2013-07-22 at 06:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ogre in the Playground

Q#554 what happens if two spheres of anihilation collide?

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Troll in the Playground

A 554

Nothing happens.

The effect of a sphere of annihilation is this:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Any matter that comes in contact with a sphere is instantly sucked into the void, gone, and utterly destroyed.
    And the sphere itself is described thus:

A sphere of annihilation is...a ball of nothingness...a hole in the continuity of the multiverse.
    As such, it is clearly not matter. Matter is clearly specified as the only thing affected by a sphere, so the other sphere--not being matter--is not affected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Titan in the Playground

Q 555

If you have some way to move as a free/swift action (e.g.- Sudden Leap, Travel Devotion), can you use it between attacks in a full attack?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 555 No.

The full attack action has a special restriction:
    The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 556

The description of the plane shift spell says: " From the Material Plane, you can reach any other plane, though you appear 5 to 500 miles (5d%) from your intended destination."
    But when one uses the spell to come back to the material plane, does he appear where he wants or do we use the same rule?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

A556: There is an offset on arrival in all cases. The previous sentence ("Precise accuracy as to a particular arrival location on the intended plane is nigh impossible.") clarifies that all destination planes, including the Material, have a built-in error. The spell text does not strictly link the provided calculation of 5d% to the offset when not traveling from the Material, but such is a reasonable use, in the absence of any other offset calculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Q557

Can my shaper command his astral construct to manifest a power utilizing a soul crystal? Soul crystal's description was very vague on just who is qualified to use one.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-07-23 at 04:06 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ettin in the Playground

Q558
    Would multiple sources of fast healing overlap or stack?
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q559
    What skill would be used for crafting crossbow bolts, and what would be the DC?
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Q560

It only recently dawned on me that a touch attack made for a spell could crit.

My Anarchic initiate deals up to 48D6 with a crystal shard, which requires a ranged touch attack : if it crits, does she really deal 96D6 ?
    Last edited by Shaynythyryas; 2013-07-23 at 01:51 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 558 Usually overlap.

The description of the fast healing ability specifies:
    At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals a certain number of hit points (defined in its description).
    Most instances of fast healing share this characteristic of a fixed, non-additive number, so you would heal HP equal to the highest number from all instances. You would need a specific statement that the fast healing ability stacks instead, such as this one from Fast Healing [Epic]:
    Benefit: You gain fast healing 3, or your existing fast healing increases by 3. This feat does not stack with fast healing granted by magic items or nonpermanent magical effects.
    A 559

Craft (bowmaking) is the skill used for both bows and ammunition. The DC to Craft any typical item is 10.

A 560 Yes.

If you're within the Close range required for Crystal Shard and roll a natural 20 to hit, your damage is doubled.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 559

Craft (bowmaking) is the skill used for both bows and ammunition. The DC to Craft any typical item is 10.
    A559 continued: While I don't doubt this is (or at least should be) correct, I can't seem to find the actual text that indicates what subskill is used for ammunition, either in general or specifically.

Note, also, that crossbows are explicitly stated to be Craft (weaponsmithing), not Craft (bowmaking).
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    A559 continued: While I don't doubt this is (or at least should be) correct, I can't seem to find the actual text that indicates what subskill is used for ammunition, either in general or specifically.

Note, also, that crossbows are explicitly stated to be Craft (weaponsmithing), not Craft (bowmaking).
    A 559 continued

The relevant text, for arrows at least, isn't in the SRD but is in the PHB under the craft skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    ...When casting the spell minor creation (page 253), you must succeed on an appropriate Craft check to make a complex item. For instance, a successful Craft (bowmaking) check might be required to make straight arrow shafts...

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 559 continued

Arms and Equipment Guide specifies a Fletcher uses Craft (bowmaking) on page 62. Then we just need standard dictionary lookups for fletcher and bolt:
    fletcher
    -noun

a person who makes arrows.
    bolt
    -noun

9. an arrow, esp for a crossbow

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

I think I've seen references that making the shaft of arrows is (bowmaking), but that making the heads is (weaponsmithing). Presumably, assembling the two together is a trivial task requiring no skill.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q561
    Girallon's Blessing (Spell Compendium) + Claws of the Beast (Psionic)
    Will it work? If yes -how many attacks i'll have and with what BAB?
    Last edited by Kred; 2013-07-23 at 12:20 PM.
    Beware my incredibly noobish questions!

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kred View Post
    Q561
    Girallon's Blessing (Spell Compendium) + Claws of the Beast (Psionic)
    Will it work? If yes -how many attacks i'll have and with what BAB?
    A561
    Claws of the Beast explicitly only grants two claw attacks, and you explicitly cannot use any other natural weapons when you attack with them.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 561

Girallon's Blessing and Claws of the Beast both transform your existing hands into claws. Girallon's Blessing has a fixed damage whereas the damage from Claws of the Beast varies with your size; they produce the same damage if you are Medium size. If Girallon's Blessing is cast first, Claws of the Beast renders that meaningless because the result specified in the power description is that you have only two claw attacks in your full attack (regardless of how many arms you have). If Claws of the Beast is manifested first and then Girallon's Blessing is cast, the size-dependent damage benefit of the power is overridden by the spell but you would have four attacks, as specified in the spell description.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q562

By RAW is there a difference between a Custom Magic Item and a +1 magic weapon with +9 worth in enhancement abilities?

Specifically, Custom Magic Items aren't available at your local magic mart by RAW but are custom weapons?

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q562

By RAW is there a difference between a Custom Magic Item and a +1 magic weapon with +9 worth in enhancement abilities?

Specifically, Custom Magic Items aren't available at your local magic mart by RAW but are custom weapons?
    A562

Custom magic items are created by the DM. "Custom weapons" can be crafted by anyone in the setting.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A562

Custom magic items are created by the DM. "Custom weapons" can be crafted by anyone in the setting.
    Thank you.

Q563
    Does the same hold true for Staffs, Wands, and Scrolls with different spells in them than just what is represented in the DMG?

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 564
    Could a creature with a fly speed take a 5-foot step upwards in lieu of other movement in a turn?

Also

Q 565
    When measuring distance for the purposes of an area spell, every second diagonal counts as two spaces. Does that count squares (voxels? cubes?) that are diagonally adjacent in three dimensions or just two? For example, if a hypothetical spell with 1 square radius goes off at coordinate 0, 0, 0, would a creature flying at 1, 1, 1 be affected by it?
    Last edited by Baphomet; 2013-07-23 at 03:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 564
    That depends, if the creature has Perfect maneuverability then yes, otherwise no as upwards movement costs double and 5' up requires 10' of movement.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 565

Entangling breath feat from Races of the Dragon. Dragonfire adept from Dragon Magic. Can the entangling effect be done at the same time as the slow breath breath effect. Causing both status conditions at the same exact time?

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

A 565: Probably yes, assuming the caster aims correctly.

One problem with your question is that area spells do not originate in the center of a square.

Area effects: Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection.
    The caster should simply select the appropriate grid intersection that borders both 0,0,0 and 1,1,1.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A 565: Probably yes, assuming the caster aims correctly.

One problem with your question is that area spells do not originate in the center of a square.

The caster should simply select the appropriate grid intersection that borders both 0,0,0 and 1,1,1.

Q 565 clarification

The stated example was sort of an oversimplification. The actual issue involves an Entangle spell (40-ft. spread, which is kind of silly to envision as a sphere but we're treating it like the vines in the middle get more magic in them and thus grow longer, with the caveat that it probably wouldn't work that way if we weren't in a forest) in a large area with several flying enemies spaced out throughout it. But you're right, my numbering convention didn't make as much sense as I thought it did. So, say the origin of the spell is at (0, 0, 0), which is surrounded by eight cubes in each diagonal direction, whose centers are at (±.5, ±.5, ±.5). So, again for example, a creature in the (0.5, 0.5, 0.5) cube would count as 5 feet away from the spell, one in the (1.5, 1.5, 1.5) cube would count as being two diagonal squares away and thus 15 feet, one in the (2.5, 2.5, 2.5) cube would count as being three diagonal squares away and thus 20 feet, etc.? Thus, the furthest away a creature could be in a three-dimensional diagonal along that line to still be affected by the spell would be at the cube centered on (4.5, 4.5, 4.5) because that counts as 7 cubes away and the next cube out would make it 9, correct?

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ogre in the Playground

A 565 cont.

Huh? Dragonfire adept class from dragon magic, his supernatural breath ability.

Feat from page 101 in Races of the dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    ENTANGLING EXHALATION [BREATH]
    You can use your breath weapon to create an entangling
    mesh of energy.
    Prerequisites: Dragonblood subtype, breath weapon.
    Benefi t: When you use your breath weapon, you can
    choose to enmesh all creatures in its area instead of producing
    its normal effect. Your breath weapon deals only
    half its normal damage; however, any creature that takes
    damage from your breath weapon becomes entangled and
    takes an extra 1d6 points of damage, of the same energy
    type as normally dealt by your breath weapon, each round
    at the start of your turn. This effect lasts for 1d4 rounds.
    If your breath weapon doesn’t deal energy damage,
    creatures damaged by the initial breath are still entangled
    but don’t take additional damage on later rounds.

No entangle spell is dealt with. Just two different breath status condition inducers.
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2013-07-23 at 03:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ettin in the Playground

A 566

(You have the wrong number, animewatcha.)

Yes. The feat Entangling Exhalation has a line that deals with breath weapons that don't deal damage; in those cases, they're still entangled, but do not take extra damage on subsequent rounds.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

ba-bump...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Q557

Can my shaper command his astral construct to manifest a power utilizing a soul crystal? Soul crystal's description was very vague on just who is qualified to use one.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...