New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Seeking Mercy Chatter

As Revenant speaks, Shaada's hand slides away from her sword, and she relaxes a fraction. "Ah... Disguise has never been a challenge, to be honest. My mother cast spells before I was born to force me into a human shape - the strain of the spells is part of what killed her, as I understand. Maintaining the form once her spells ran out was no difficulty - by then, I was perhaps ten, and pouring energy into a spell-form you have worn so long is no great challenge. Mastering the control of my externalized power was more of a challenge; I had no one to teach me, so I had to design my own spells, and create my own channels through which to cast."

She pauses, contemplative, as she thinks about the next question. "I have no idea what will happen when I die. This body is a true one - it is as real as any of yours - so I assume it will remain, but whether or not my soul will remain complete, as would a mortal's, or dissipate into the substance of the Plane of Elemental Fire as another elemental's might, I have no idea. I have rarely ever met other elementals, to be honest, and I may well be the only natural half-breed to exist... I don't look forwards to finding out, anyways."

Listening to Eirea speak, she looks curious. "Your mother studies elementals? How fascinating! Does she study all of the extraplanar races, or merely those from the Elemental Planes? I wouldn't object to showing you my native form when we're on the road - I rarely assume it, but it is no great trouble. Perhaps you could introduce me to your mother, some time? I am always looking for more information on elementals, and it is rare I have the chance to speak to someone who studies them."
    Last edited by Aard_Rinn; 2013-06-02 at 01:30 PM.
    Hole-in-the-trachea syndrome - a life-threatening condition affecting 10 out of 10 people who **** WITH ME!
    I'm what doctors call a carrier - it doesn't affect me, but people I come into contact with have an elevated risk of contracting a terminal case of hole-in-the-trachea syndrome!
    Oh, sure - laugh. Most people do - the full scope and tragedy doesn't really hit until it's someone you love who's got a terminal case of hole-in-the-trachea.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Eirea is surprised by Shaada's response. "Ah, well, she doesn't specifically study elemental crossbreeds, but crossbreeding in general. As for meeting her...that could prove difficult. And potentially dangerous. She's not the most friendly woman, especially since I cut ties to her," she says.

3. - Top - End - #33

MindFlayer

"Ah. My apologies." Shaada scans the city skyline, where the pendants of the Temple of the Phoenix are now much close, framing the rapidly rising sun between them. "We're maybe fifteen minutes off. When we get there, would you like to go with me to meet the High Priestess, or do you have your own business to attend to? I'm supposed to have breakfast with her and the Chief Historian." At this, she raises the basket containing the meat pies.
    Hole-in-the-trachea syndrome - a life-threatening condition affecting 10 out of 10 people who **** WITH ME!
    I'm what doctors call a carrier - it doesn't affect me, but people I come into contact with have an elevated risk of contracting a terminal case of hole-in-the-trachea syndrome!
    Oh, sure - laugh. Most people do - the full scope and tragedy doesn't really hit until it's someone you love who's got a terminal case of hole-in-the-trachea.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Grall
    "I'll go with you to meet the High Priestess. Sounds interesting."
    Avatar by the awesome smuchsmuch.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll join, if you don't mind me not eating with you."
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

"I would enjoy a meal with such people - I have always been curious as to the friendly side of religious folk," Eirea says, nodding. "I might partake of the actual eating, but don't feel odd if I choose not to, I don't require food,"

7. - Top - End - #37

MindFlayer

"Excellent,' replies Shaada. 'We're old friends, and she does trust my judgeme_t, but she does like to know who's handling the artifacts."

You turn right onto another street, and before you, you can see the Temple of the Phoenix.

It stretches out before you, the plaza's white stonework gleaming orange in the morning sun. The willow trees that border the temple are in bloom, their fragrant pink-and-white flowers drifting in the breeze, and beneath them, the various priests and other visitors to the church stand in small groups, presumably discussing religious matters as the temple's acolytes tend the gardens and sweep the fallen flower petals off of the cobbles. In the grassy courtyard beyond, an even greater variety of activities takes place - a few scattered families eat breakfast on the lawn, a group of children chase a ball, and by the massive statue of The Worshipping Uruk-Thanhk(1) a group of trolls kneel in prayer.

As you follow Shaada across the yard, a bell tolls once, it's long, mournful note resonating through the morning air and signaling the first hour of the morning. It pauses for a few seconds, letting the last vestiges of the note die away, before ringing again, and then a third time before falling silent.(2)

Standing at the base of the temple steps are a small group of people, who Shaada heads towards. Two are dressed in the blue of the Tell's Howe Watch - a tall, dark-haired woman and a black-haired plainsman. A woman, robed in paler blue, stands beside them, her long black hair reaching nearly to her ankles. When she turns to look at you at a word from the man, you see her face catch the morning light, and her skin sparkles and diffracts it across it's surface like cut glass. The last to accompany her is a young girl who looks about sixteen, and wears the same red-and-white robes as Shaada, although she bears no armor or weapons.

When you reach the group, the woman in blue bows. "Shaada - welcome. And these are the companions you said you would find? Excellent - why don't you come with me - Liir, Naii, you are of course welcome to join us as well."

The woman in blue armor smiles. "Alright - I need to have a quick word with Shaada in private, anyways. Perhaps after breakfast?" She looks over at Shaada, who smiles and nods.

The man shakes his head. "Well, I'm afraid I'll have to leave you women to it - Balor and Omman think they have a good lead on that explosion at Barrelman's Way, and they want me handy while they follow up on it. I'll be over there if you need me." This last bit is addressed to the guardswoman, who nods an affirmative as he walks off. As he passes you group, he nods a brief greeting - "Good day."

As he strides off into the distance, you follow the woman in the robes into the temple. She guides you down a hallway to the left. As you follow her, the guardswoman falls back to walk with you.

"Sorry - I just realized we haven't been introduced. I'm Naii - the commander of the Mage's Guard, and that was my husband, Liir - the captain of the city watch."

Picture of the Temple
    Spoiler
    Show

Group at the stairs, in order of mention:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

(1)The Worshipping Uruk-Thanhk
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Worshipping Uruk-Thanhk is a giant stone statue of a troll, down on one knee with his sword before him, as if being knighted. According to the trollish legend, it is no mere statue - it is the troll king Uruakathanak, who lead the trolls in the Godsfall War. It is said that he served the troll god for many years, until he saw the might of the Phoenix, at which point he fell to his knees and asked that he and his soldiers be allowed to serve Him. According to the stories, he served valiantly, and when the Phoenix and the Kirin departed, he vowed to serve them forever. He founded the trollish "Church of the Eternal Flame", and then knelt and made himself as stone, so he could wait for his god until the end of days, and lead his people, the trolls, into battle again.

(2)The City Bells
    Spoiler
    Show
    The city bells toll all day, from six in the morning until midnight. First Bells consists of a single toll, repeated three times, at six in the morning. Second follows, with two tolls repeated three times at eight. Subsequent tolls repeat every other hour, up until midnight, which consists of nine tolls. This is fairly common in cities, and in Tell's Howe, the bells are rung by the Temple of the Phoenix in the north, and the Temple of the Kirin in the South.
    Last edited by Aard_Rinn; 2013-06-04 at 12:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Eirea curiously looks around the temple grounds as they arrive, taking in the sights and sounds of the living. It wasn't often that she saw such a lively temple - she occasionally saw such structures, but almost exclusively at night. Their proximity to most graveyards she could find meant that her studies of the graves and simple enjoyment of their atmosphere could only take place if she snuck past or talked to the holy folk in charge of keeping them.

Looking through her blindfold, Eirea nods at the man as he leaves. As the armored woman - Naii, she reveals her name to be, speaks to them inside, she smiles. Outside of the daylight she doesn't look quite as pale, but it's still obvious. Her cloak's movement occasionally reveals the slim black books at her waist and the bones they are wrapped together by. Eirea walks with her arms folded in front of her, briefly glancing to the others as the woman asks her question. It was unspoken, but clearly there.

"It is a pleasure meeting you, Naii. I am Eirea, with no last name," she says. Curious about the young priestess, but also about this woman - captain of the Mage Guard? What sort of group was that? - Eirea focuses her attention on her. She wanted to know things...now was a good time to put her skills to work.

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Going for Diplomacy to begin influencing her attitude (rolling it now, but it's for the whole next minute of her and Eirea conversing).

D: (1d20+14)[28]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Revenant walks behind a few steps behind Shaada, examining the temple as they walk in. It had a different atmosphere than he was used to, but it was a Phoenix temple nonetheless.

"Revenant, follower of the Silent Call." He introduces himself a few moments later.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Grall
    "Grall Malthos, cleric of the Phoenix."

11. - Top - End - #41

MindFlayer

"Ah. Pleasure to meet you, then. It's good to see Shaad meeting new people - I was originally going to accompany her on this trip, but we've had some issues with arson lately, and I can't leave the city until we've resolved it; I maintain the city's fireward, amongst my other duties." She tucks a few stray hairs behind her ear, letting out a little huff. "I've got to say, managing a city is... complicated. It seems there's always some thing or another keeping me here - I don't think I've gone on vacation in the last seven years!"

She laughs, and it echoes clear and bright down the hallway. "Well, how are you enjoying the Howe? You are all travelers, aren't you?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Revenant nods. "I was on my way back to the temple when the gates closed. The meeting with Shaada was a chance encounter, although some in the group consider it fate. I'll join the journey because I think Morty would enjoy the company."

"What would have happened if you were already gone when the arsonist stroke? Don't you have a replacement? I have learned that people who never take a break often become stressed, which would affect negatively their job performance. I'm sure nobody would like to see you snap and end up setting homes on fire yourself..."

13. - Top - End - #43

MindFlayer

Naii laughs. "Oh, I'm sure the other mages could hold down the fort, for a while, anyways. But it's more complicated than that. See, Liir and I built this city - and when I say that, I'm being more literal than you might think. The city's firewards - all of it's wards, really - I wrote them, over every inch of the city. I've trained others, since, but I still place my own wards on every new building in the city - I am the most powerful mage in the Howe, and my spells form the backbone of the city's defense. If someone is able to breach the firewards, I feel it is only right that I take a... personal interest in their capture." Her eyes are still light, but her words are venomous, and there is a hint of steel in her breath promising pain and suffering to her enemy. It passes quickly from her, however - as if instantaneously, her cheerfulness returns.

"I'm not to concerned, however. Whoever is committing these crimes is controlling a fire elemental - easy magic to trace, summoning - and the wards were never designed to deal with magic like that. They are more to protect from the little nuisance fires of city life - thatch set ablaze, a smithy catching fire - and to prevent flames from leaping building to building. Magical arson is rare enough that it is of small concern, so long as the other firewards are active, you see - as long as it cannot spread, it is little danger to the city."

She gives an awkward grin. "I'm sorry - I prattle. I have put the last twenty years of my life into these wards - I tend to go on, if I am not put off often. They have been my life and my joy for a long time."

Brushing her hair over her ear, she examines the three of you. "An eclectic bunch, you lot. It's nice, to see that Shaada has found some companions for her wanderings. She is alone to much - it softens her head." With that, she gives the back of Shaada's head a good-natured jab, to which Shaada retaliates with a smack upside the head.

"Not so soft as I couldn't thrash you, mageling whelp." Naii grins at the friendly insult - the two seem like old friends falling back into a well-known greeting.

Spoiler
    Show
    As you talk, you are led further into the temple. Finally, at a gesture from the tall, blue-cowled woman, you stop. She strides into a room on one side of the hall, leaving your group waiting. Shaada leans up against the wall casually, the young acolyte standing besides her, while Naii continues to talk to you.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, be careful. If someone would go as far as summon an elemental to light a fire, it seems like they are inclined to do more and are testing the limits of your wards. I'd expect more serious attacks to follow."

15. - Top - End - #45

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    Note: This is a time-skip post, meant to advance your half of the party to the reunion of both halves. There will be two posts in the IC thread, one for the other half of the party only, and one for the reunited halves to read together. The one for the other half only will be spoilered, with a note like this at the top, and the one for the whole group will be posted after that.

Spoiler
    Show
    As you continue to talk with Naii, the conversation returning to lighter topics, the door to the office opens again, and the woman in the blue robe beckons you inside. When you enter, you are seated in a group of chairs arranged around a small table - only after you are seated do you realize that it is, in fact, a sturdy wooden desk. Across from where you stand is seated an older woman - you might place her at around fifty, for a human, her face beginning to show the first signs of her advancing age. Her hair is loose and dark - it shines chestnut in the dimly lit room, the only illumination the light of the wall sconces and the dim sunlight peeking through the shades. Her eyes seem tired - in fact, her entire body looks worn, as if it had been hard-used over her life and was only now able to pause and take a rest. She wears the red robes of a High Priestess of the Phoenix, and to one side lies the staff of her office - a black staff, carved of walnut, with a bright gold cap, carved with the rays of the sun in an elegant whorl around the tip.

When she sees you enter, she rises to her feet, and strides out from behind the table to greet you.

"Riishaad." Although the greeting is formal, even clipped, it is clear from the tone of her voice and the look in her eyes that the two woman know each other well. Shaada sweeps to one knee before the older woman, pressing a kiss to the inside of her offered wrist.

"My honor and my duty, milady Priestess." Shaada's reply is just as short, but at a gesture from the priestess, she rises, and the two embrace.

Finally, Shaada steps back and gestures to the three of you where you stand waiting. "My companions, Lady Nydia - the maid Eirea, the cleric Grall Malthos-son-of-Giel, and Revenant, an adherent of the Silent Call. And two others, but they will be along later - we set out early, this morning, before the sun was even up, and they required a little more time to prepare before setting out. They should be along soon, however."

Returning her attentions to you, she continues. "Grall, Eirea, Revenant - allow me to introduce to you the lady Nydia, High Priestess of the Phoenix and Abbess of the Temple of the Phoenix here in the Howe; the lady Brede," this with a gesture to the woman in the blue robe, "and Naii Uueshetaadema, who I believe you've already spoken to. And this," she places her hands on the youngest girl's shoulders, "Is Verill. She'll also be accompanying us - she is responsible for caring for the Sword, and trained in it's safe transport."

She gestures to the seats around the table, pulling the contents out of the basket as everyone is seated. She lays a plate of meat pies on the table, followed by a caraf of thick brown coffee and a smaller bowlful of nuts. Priestess Nydia fetches a basket of fruit from below the desk, and Verill sets the table, giving each of you a plate, as well as setting two more places for Drowning Fish and Alderon.

As you begin to eat, Nydia, Brede, Naii and Shaada begin to talk. They discuss many things - the fires in the city, the conditions of the Howe-Raahls, and upcoming Temple holidays being just a few. They seem content to chat amongst themselves, seemingly updating each other on the goings-on of half the continent, and they speak comfortably and familiarly with each other as if old friends. Verill sits at Shaada's side, listening intently, although she rarely comments.

Perhaps fifteen minutes later, a knock comes at the door. An older man sticks his head in. "Two further guests, milady Priestess. They have the lady Riishaad's token, and said they were to join her?"

Nydia nods. "Send them in."

As the other two travelers enter, Shaada rises to meet them. "Alderon, Drowning Fish, welcome! Glad you made it here! Come, have a seat - we were just waiting for your arrival before we got down to business. There's breakfast, if you want it."

Once more she introduces the other occupants of the room, this time more briefly. "The Lady Nydia, High Priestess of the Phoenix. Naii Uueshetaadema, captain of the Mage's Guard. Lady Brede of Ffjolknir, and Virill, guardian of the Sword."

Nydia's Robe
    Spoiler
    Show

Nydia herself has chestnut hair that reaches her chest, and dark brown eyes. She also carries a wooden staff capped in gold as symbol of her office.
    Last edited by Aard_Rinn; 2013-06-13 at 10:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

MindFlayer

As the two of you walk down the city streets, you can see the trails of smoke in the distance. The raven, Myr, follows you as you go, winging his way silently from bush to bush as you travel away from the temple back towards the still-burning building. A cool breeze blows the scent of ash to you, overpowering the usual smells of the crisp autumn night.

Around Grall's neck, the drake remains curled, color ebbing across her smooth form in rhythmic waves, like the beating of a mortal's heart. She is silent and still, presumably asleep.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Grall
    I bring the pace up to a jog, motioning for Eirea to follow.
    "I need a minute to collect my thoughts; what I am about to say might be taken the wrong way."
    When we reach the burning wreckage, I wait for Eirea, drawing my sword and restng the tip on the ground in front of me.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Eirea raises an eyebrow at what Grall says. Taken the wrong way? What was he going to say that would require delicate handling? It wasn't like that was his forte, either...Eirea's mind goes back to when they met, the day before yesterday, and his rudeness. If he hadn't seen fit to filter his speech then, what was it that he was saying now?

"I see. That is rather curious. I'm wondering how it will compare to your words back in that tavern. 'Sort of human'," she says. Her tone makes it clear that she isn't annoyed, but it is a subtle prod at his former rudeness.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Grall
    "I'm...having some issues with faith. My people, my sect of the Phoenix-worshippers, believe that each person has two extraterrestrial energies flowung through them: Arcana, the source of arcane magic, and Chi, source of divine magic. Arcana is typically represented by the red section of the Um/Yang symbol, while Chi is symbolized as blue. Chi comes from two main sources: Faith in oneself and faith in others, most likely a deity. The closer your connection with a deity, and the stronger your belief in both your deity and yourself is, the smoother and swifter your chi flows throughout the body. My father taught me this; it is the last thing I remember him telling me before he killed himself. I was present for his last three seconds, in fact, having walked downstairs after having a nightmare. Anyway, my faith was shattered then. My father was a renowned cleric, healer, and swordsman, known as one of the finest warriors in the Children's army. I thought that he could handle anything, but it turns out he couldn't handle himself, and his impossible standards he set for himself. My faith in both myself and the Phoenix was obliterated that day. It has taken me the better part of twenty years to begin to recover, but everything has changed today. I was unable to do anything against Nathan, my god's words were unable to aid me the night before in a question about Uriel, and the two first people to respect, confide in, and trust me in nearly twindecades died because I was unable to do anything. I was powerless. I couldn't stop him from knocking me to the ground and stealing the Ruugukhan. But it is also the fact that he also worshipped the Phoenix, he also held the same god to worship, gained the power to kill Shaada and Virill from the Phoenix. My faith in the Phoenix's judgement has also been destroyed.
    My mentor, J'hara, was slaughtered by Kirin extremists while the most junior of them dealt with me easiy, bringing me to the brink of death but leaving me alive as an insult. Everything I've done to recover has been demolished. I am broken. I believe your ability to confound me two nights ago illustrates my point: Before you, I had met nearly nobody able to fast-talk me like that. I am strong and intuitive, but none of that matters when everything is stronger, smarter, faster, tougher, and, all in all, more powerful than you. Two nights ago, I was brazen, but only because I am broken inside. I fight because fights are simple, they are exhilerating, and they keep my mind from wandering back to the fateful night seventeen years ago, and from the fate that people close to me have seemed to suffer. I need help, Eirea. I need help, from both you and the Phoenix."

I weep silently, tears rolling down my face, which is lowered to the pommel of my greatsword, which causes the tears to slide down the groove in the center of the blade. After about five minutes, I stand up straight, face composed in a mask of calm.
    I pick up the tear-stained greatsword and move it in the most advanced Poomse, of which I know only eight moves from studying my father: Ilyeo, which represents one, or whole, the concept that everything is made out of everything, that is, everything is made out of the same stuff, that everything is one,and that one is everything. I complete the eight move sequence I know repeatedly, over and over again. When I finally stop, I am sweating profusely, but I have been renewed.
    I speak again, this time, more calmly.
    "Has anybody ever taught you how to wield a greatsword?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Eirea silently ponders the cleric's words for a few moments after he speaks. It was certainly a lot to swallow. Issues with his faith, problems with his self-confidence, both manifesting as breaks in the foundations of his magic. It was obviously an issue, if anything because he would be less useful for the group without it. But, with what's happened that day so far, Eirea doesn't want to allow the rest of the group to be further damaged by the deaths of their employer/comrades. While she wouldn't have trouble doing what was needed, she's worried about the others. If they couldn't bring themselves to overcome the emotional trauma of the experience, then exacting vengeance would be difficult.

"You're falling into the same trap your father did," Eirea begins. "Your failure caused the deaths of Shaada and Virill? One might as well say that I am the cause of their demise. Or Drowning Fish, or Alderon, or Revenant. It is the past, one that we cannot allow to haunt us. You cannot hold yourself responsible for everything that goes wrong," she continues. Comfort isn't something she's done often, but it can't be that difficult...right? Then the tears start. Obviously not a good sign. Eirea considers what to do for a bit, before finally coming to a course of action.

"Shhhhh," she 'says', a simple, soothing sound she's heard used for such things before. "Look into my eyes, be calm," Eirea puts a hand on his shoulder, waiting for the goliath to look at her before pushing her blindfold up from her eyes, revealing the starburst of color normally hidden by it. Before long, Grall will feel the magic of Eirea's gaze, inspiring a deep connection, sudden trust, if he does not pit his will against it.

---

As Grall asks her if she's ever been trained to use a greatsword, Eirea shakes her head, blindfold now firmly re-tied. "No, I've never had need of such skills. My mother told me that such things were a waste of time for my sort," she explains.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Grall
    A tentative smile slowly makes its way across my face.
    "But, as we have found out, your mother was a rather flawed woman, no? Learning to defend yourself is never in vain, especially not with a weapon as elegant as the greatsword, which must be kept in perfect balance to avoid the weapon's own weight from being its weilder's doom. It is a long and compicated process.
    Do you wish to learn?

I reverse the weapon, holding it gingerly by the blade, offering the pommel to Eirea.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"If I must draw a weapon at all, something has already gone very wrong," Eirea says, shrugging. "I may try, but learning to use such a blade would take quite some time,"

Silently, she wonders if this is somehow related to what he said earlier. First he has a breakdown, and now he's offering to teach her swordplay, of all things?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

(Reply to her 1.7- liner about the eyes I was unsure of how to respond to because I had already jumped forwards in time...):
    Grall
    As I stare into her eyes, her beautiful eyes, and listen to her soothing words, I draw her close and give her a grateful hug.
    "Thank you for understanding."

(back in the present....)
    Grall
    I nod, then, assuming she took the sword, adjust her grip on it.
    "The greatsword lends itself to sweeps and slashes, mostly circular motions, to maintain momentum and maximize power. Jabs can be difficult, though. Here, leet's start with a diagonal downwards cut from a little above the shoulder, one of the more common strikes.

Spoiler
    Show
    OoC: Grall is trying to recover by helping somebody, by proving that he can help somebody, especially somebody that he's attracted to romantically.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Eirea takes the sword and, as she goes through the basic motions Grall shows her, seems to wield it significantly better than may be expected. Of course, the end result still isn't very good, but it's not as bad as it could be. Internally, she is somewhat conflicted. On one hand, she saw this as a nonsensical waste of energy and wanted to point that out. Why spend time learning to swing a blade at something when she could use the same time working out how to avoid needing to? Especially since she didn't have a sword of her own. What was she going to do, loan Grall's next time they fought something? On the other hand, it could be that this...impromptu swordplay lesson was some kind of ritualistic method of dealing with his emotions.

"I've heard of those who use weapons more focused on their agility than their power. Such a thing may be a better option, as bringing my entire strength to bear...well, there isn't especially much to be done there, Eirea says after a few moments. For now, at least, she'd go along with it. Perhaps she could ask Revenant or Alderon about it later. They might understand Grall's unusual behavior better than she did.

Spoiler
    Show
    +3 BAB, so only at a -1 to attack rolls rather than the standard -4 for total newbie guard types.

Also, I had an interesting drama-idea, but it'd have required metagaming and been out of character for Eirea (it'd basically be contingent on her realizing his motivation and getting in a huff about "oh I see, I'm just the first person around who you can push your 'help' on to feel better"). It could be pretty tough on Grall in his state, if I'd gone for it.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, he kinda would have been crushed. Like, suicidal crushed.

Grall
    I adjust Eirea's technique, showing her how to bring her entire body to bear in each strike.
    "True. Though J'hara always told me, and demonstrated, that technique beats speed and strength nine times out of ten. See, some people see a fighter or a swordsman and think it's all hack slash beat-em-up stuff that just requires strength, while the reality of it is, it takes technique to bring your strength to bear. Look, draw your blade for a moment, and hand it to me. What is the advantage of a larger, broader, heavier blade over a shorter and lighter one?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't have technique, though. ...Unless you count 'put the blade in the enemy'," Eirea says, smiling lightly. As Grall asks her to draw her blade, her smile widens briefly. Taking one hand off the hilt of the sword, letting the blade rest on the ground to keep from having to hold it one-handed, she closes her fingers around the air at her waist, then extends that hand to Grall, still holding the air as if her hand was closed around a hilt of some sort.

"Here is my blade. Be careful with it, it's fragile," she says.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-09-14 at 05:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Grall
    My smile broadens at her comment.
    "Now that just won't do. Even though you're a caster, we need to get you a weapon of some sort. Anyway, you didn't answer my question. What are the advantages of a heavy blade, and what are the advantages of a lighter one?"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"I have weapons," Eirea replies. "Although my touch does not kill like my mother's, I can put enough necromantic energy into it to make an otherwise harmless smack a potentially lethal blow. And as long as I don't end up with a shadow-thing in my face, I can channel the energy into another type of weapon as well," she says. "Even then, all of this is a last resort, remember. The last time I was forced to use anything like today was...last year,"

As Grall restates his question, Eirea considers it for a moment. "Well, a lighter weapon is more easily used in faster attacks, while a heaver one can bring more force to bear," she says, disguising her disinterest with practiced ease.

Spoiler
    Show
    I just realized that Grall is one of the few people who can potentially catch Eirea bluffing, as his modifier is only 8 lower than hers. Should I roll, or assume they both take 10?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    "I have weapons," Eirea replies. "Although my touch does not kill like my mother's, I can put enough necromantic energy into it to make an otherwise harmless smack a potentially lethal blow. And as long as I don't end up with a shadow-thing in my face, I can channel the energy into another type of weapon as well," she says. "Even then, all of this is a last resort, remember. The last time I was forced to use anything like today was...last year,"

As Grall restates his question, Eirea considers it for a moment. "Well, a lighter weapon is more easily used in faster attacks, while a heaver one can bring more force to bear," she says, disguising her disinterest with practiced ease.

Spoiler
    Show
    I just realized that Grall is one of the few people who can potentially catch Eirea bluffing, as his modifier is only 8 lower than hers. Should I roll, or assume they both take 10?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, most of this is rp, and he's not really concentrating, so yeah, taking 10.

Grall
    I nod as Eirea speaks.
    "That's it exactly. However, once you attain a level of proficiency with the weapon, the speed difference is negligible. Essentially, lighter weapons are easier to learn because they require no learned technique, but heavier weapons are better once you attain a level of proficiency, unless you weild two weapons and attack with both, something that, to do well, you must spend even more time and training into than weilding a weapon such as the greatsword. Also, while this may be a last resort, you will be getting shoved headfirst into close quarters combat several times more if we intend to hunt down Nathan."
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-09-14 at 08:53 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

"I was under the impression that you would be in the front in most combats, unless you're saying that us being surrounded and swarmed is going to be the norm," Eirea replies. "As for combat being inevitable...I disagree. If done properly, the only fighting we'll be doing are with those too unprepared to defend themselves. Fighting on an even field may be normal for you, but for me it's foolish and to be avoided,"