New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase VI

How does one draw walleyes in OotS style?
    Last edited by asdflove; 2014-02-18 at 07:35 PM.
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asdflove View Post
    How does one draw walleyes in OotS style?
    I mean, you'd probably not want to draw the scales individually, and there would be one eye on each side.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    I mean, you'd probably not want to draw the scales individually, and there would be one eye on each side.
    ... Ha hah. Very funny.

Seriously, I'm trying to humanize Ditzy Doo.

EDIT:

Well here she is without her signature eyes.
    Last edited by asdflove; 2014-02-18 at 08:28 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #484
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Maybe you could rotate one of the two eyes so it's a little off center? I'm not entirely sure how to do it but it's something.
    His joke was nicer than mine was If I were on the computer at the time, I was gonna quickly make a picture of a humanoid standing next to a wall with eyes on it

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alright, this is a bit of an odd one. Remember than picture a few days ago where someone did the OotS team as the Pokemon on their X/Y team? Well, I had also named my X team after the Order, but I chose slightly different ones.

Spoiler
    Show

Here's Elan (Gardevoir) and Haley (Rotom). A bit less resemblance than that other picture, but I didn't want to add hair for the sake of recognition. That's not to say there's no hair influence, though - Gardevoir!Elan's hair is similar at the top, while Rotom!Haley has an extra blot behind her to substitute for the ponytail.

Bonus: I threw these two together when I did so that I could make this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course, in reality it's been much more tedious.

Pseudo-Luigi of the Solt Lorkyurg Fanclub.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeo View Post
    So Vaarsuvius is an Epic Whatsit now. "Whatsit". I think I like that term.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello. I'm sorry to do some advertising here, but it is highly needed.
    I'd like to direct you to the Iron Avatarist thread. I require your feedback, and would appreciate if you took the time.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...php?p=17042760

Thanks. =D
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Here are my first 2 ever OoTS avatars that I am not embarrassed to share. And by that I mean I will not share my 1st and 2nd, these are my 3rd and 4th. Personally, I think they look horrible. But I came here to get feedback and helpful advice, because, you know, helpful. In spoilers because of size.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

I hate both of them. I think they are ugly. I really don't have any self-esteem.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

I shall only point out the obvious, for now:

1. Eyes are not true to OotS. That may be one reason.

2. Body width must be less than head width.

3. Linework: Make your lines consistent. Thick enough that they look like arms, butn ot so much that they look fat and out of proportion.

4. Outlines. Much like the linework in arms and legs, the outline should be wide enough that it looks stylish, but not so much that it looks ugly.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CapedLuigiYoshi View Post
    Alright, this is a bit of an odd one. Remember than picture a few days ago where someone did the OotS team as the Pokemon on their X/Y team? Well, I had also named my X team after the Order, but I chose slightly different ones.

Spoiler
    Show

Here's Elan (Gardevoir) and Haley (Rotom). A bit less resemblance than that other picture, but I didn't want to add hair for the sake of recognition. That's not to say there's no hair influence, though - Gardevoir!Elan's hair is similar at the top, while Rotom!Haley has an extra blot behind her to substitute for the ponytail.

Bonus: I threw these two together when I did so that I could make this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course, in reality it's been much more tedious.

That would be me who did that. I actually still have a unfinished picture of the Order with their Pokemon, and in that the Pokemon look completely normal.

I'm curious why you choose Rotom and Gardevoir.

I'm still unsure about Ditzy's eyes; it looks weird to me, but Dinky turned out positively adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Here are my first 2 ever OoTS avatars that I am not embarrassed to share. And by that I mean I will not share my 1st and 2nd, these are my 3rd and 4th. Personally, I think they look horrible. But I came here to get feedback and helpful advice, because, you know, helpful. In spoilers because of size.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

I hate both of them. I think they are ugly. I really don't have any self-esteem.
    ... Okay. What Crimmy said, but I'll say more.

On the first guy the outlines on his teeth should be black. Generally I think that black outlines always look better on OotS style (with a few exceptions), but some people would disagree with me. Either way, if you were to outline the teeth in a color rather than black, the color of the skin still wouldn't be a good option.

I'm repeating the thing Crimmy said about the eyes, because it's the thing that stinks out to me the most. OotS eyes are just two (usually) black ovals of slightly different sizes.

OotS doesn't have noses. It's just a thing. It's even been joked about in a guest comic (third one down).

Finally, they are in dire need of hands. Enough said.

I quickly sketched up what I think you were shooting for. Hope this helps.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by asdflove; 2014-02-21 at 05:46 PM.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    *snip businessman*
    *snip cave wizard*
    What program did you use to make these? If you don't have it, the first thing I'd recommend is downloading Inkscape. It's free, and fairly easy to use.

Then I'd go here for a tutorial. It will help you get the basic sizes down. This also might be helpful: (warning: naked mannequins ahead! )
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Lord Torath; 2014-02-21 at 05:27 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #491
    Barbarian in the Playground

That would be me who did that. I actually still have a unfinished picture of the Order with their Pokemon, and in that the Pokemon look completely normal.

I'm curious why you choose Rotom and Gardevoir.
    I actually picked out the mons I was going to use before deciding to name them as such, and as such my original criteria was just "one mon from each generation". To be honest, Gardevoir!Elan and Rotom!Haley were sort of the leftover matchups because the other four just made so much sense.
    Pseudo-Luigi of the Solt Lorkyurg Fanclub.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeo View Post
    So Vaarsuvius is an Epic Whatsit now. "Whatsit". I think I like that term.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CapedLuigiYoshi View Post
    I actually picked out the mons I was going to use before deciding to name them as such, and as such my original criteria was just "one mon from each generation". To be honest, Gardevoir!Elan and Rotom!Haley were sort of the leftover matchups because the other four just made so much sense.
    I see.
    I actually wanted to have a meowth for Haley, but those aren't available in X and I started pre-pokebank, so she wound up being pachirisu.

I didn't care about the generation at all in my choosing of the team, I was just trying to find Pokemon that matched the different members of the order. Elan was chatot. I don't think that one could of been more perfect.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #493

HalfOrcPirate

Hadn't thought about posting him `cause he was to fun to draw out, but here's a character I'll be playing as... Presenting Zaeron Winterwind, the phrenic orc psychic warrior barbarian (gestalt, not the class in my sig)! I've got his backstory all worked out and everything, but I'm pretty sure ya'll don't wanna hear me ramble!

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks for pointing out I should post him asdflove :P

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflep View Post
    phrenic orc psychic warrior barbarian
    ... It sounds wacky and I don't even know much about D&D.
    ---

It looks really cool, I like the unibrow. If anything, I'd say the eyes might be a bit too wide, but that's bordering personal taste.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #495

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    ... It sounds wacky and I don't even know much about D&D.
    ---

It looks really cool, I like the unibrow. If anything, I'd say the eyes might be a bit too wide, but that's bordering personal taste.
    It is pretty wacky I wasn't going for optimization, more for fun. He's an orc with psionic abilities and is in both the psychic warrior and the barbarian classes - gestalt, so he basically combines the best of both worlds.
    I'll avoid going into details, I could ramble for hours

Edit: 'nother orc. He's a chieftain with a taste for flesh - no race in specific, but elves seemed appropriate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by gurgleflep; 2014-02-27 at 05:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the orks, really very cool. I've got to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the unibrow as it's drawn. I like the concept, but to me, because of the turned up ends that aren't very curved, it looks a bit like a mischievous Salvador Dali moustache.

Everything else about them is pretty damn amazing, and it might just be my sense of humour clouding my vision. It does that.

Not exactly OotS style, but I've been doing more Reinholdt kitties, and messing around with a webcomic I started like six years ago. I really should try and improve my OotS rather than mess around with these things:

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

*shrugs*

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Emh, so, I just did my first attempt at OotS style art... It's nothing amazing really, more me playing around with InkScape for the first time in my life and trying to get the gist of things.

Spoiler
    Show

Couldn't be bothered with making the background transparent... or resizing. I'm hoping it's not a gigantic pic.

I think I overdid the hair, and the arm positioning needs improvement. Also need to figure out a few tricks on clothing, I suppose, this is just a very simple dress. Will probably end up editing the lines of the eyes as a darker green instead of just black, it kind of irks me this way. I'll probably be editing this further at some point.

*shrug*

Feedback is always welcome. I hope my first try wasn't too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

18. - Top - End - #498

Finnlassie, that is a masterpiece!
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

Emh, so, I just did my first attempt at OotS style art... It's nothing amazing really, more me playing around with InkScape for the first time in my life and trying to get the gist of things.

<snip>

I think I overdid the hair, and the arm positioning needs improvement. Also need to figure out a few tricks on clothing, I suppose, this is just a very simple dress. Will probably end up editing the lines of the eyes as a darker green instead of just black, it kind of irks me this way. I'll probably be editing this further at some point.

*shrug*

Feedback is always welcome. I hope my first try wasn't too bad.
    One big thing to remember, especially regarding Oots style, is line thickness. While yours is not as extreme as some other cases, sticking with a distinct line thickness will help the piece feel as one. Certain details can be made using smaller (usually 1.5 px wide) lines, but in a picture this large, line thickness brings a lot of unity to it.

A lot of the edges are pretty angular (esp. on the breast and the back), and the eyes seem very...peculiar, for oots style. I'm not saying eye details are bad, it's just that they seem very out of place on this piece, as do the shadows on the body (but nowhere else). Usually, hair doesn't need as many nodes as yours appears to have, unless you're drawing really disjointed-looking hair. The one eyebrow really stands out, and I'm not sure it's necessarily in a good way. Usually when you include eyebrows on an oots piece, it's to emphasize or create an emotion, and I'm not sure what it's trying to say.

A good first try, however! Don't give up practicing, as that's how become better.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2014-02-28 at 09:30 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    A good first try, however! Don't give up practicing, as that's how become better.
    Not only that, it's good that you disregard a bit of the advice, but only when you've mastered the OotS style.
    A common mistake (call it mistake or pride, it ends up being the same) is people who have just started out on OotS art and request critique. When confronted with the critiques, some defend their pieces as "it's my interpretation of OotS" or "It's my specific artstyle for OotS". I suggest you don't go that way. You're almost there, just stick with true OotS for a bit, reinforcing those little things here and there that you've yet to master, and soon you'll be at a point where you can safely go experimenting.

Like Derj said, don't give up practicing. In fact, keep making more and bring them over here. We'll gladly help you out with tips and critique.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate them!

I think the angular bits can be explained with me going "I HATE YOU INKSCAPE Y U SO HARD" and giving up with things that at the time seemed to big - although looking now, fixing the angled bits is probably the easiest job.

The eyebrow... I was going somewhere with it, but, yeah. I've forgotten already. Probably something to do with my ambitious plan of "I'm going to shadow everything and make her do magics and have a background and everything!", but was struck by how different working with InkScape and this style is compared to the conventional Painttool SAI and traditional pencils and watercolours.

Styling in the eyes will probably remain this way or something similar, as I'm a bit of a face freak when drawing. OotS style restricts me from creating noses and different sort of lips, I'm bursting that energy to the eyes. It'll probably look more in place when I get the gist of all the complicated shadows and lights I want to create.

*bows*
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Styling in the eyes will probably remain this way or something similar, as I'm a bit of a face freak when drawing.
    You have fantastic potential if that's one of your firsts.

What caught my eye wasn't the eyes, or the face. But actually the shading on the dress. It gives the character a depth, which is one of the most important aspects of advanced Oots art (imo). Making a character appear as more than just a flat 2d image on a digital canvas is what makes great Oots drawings really stand out* and is something beginners often neglect.

Keep it up and keep us posted.

*Obviously there are more ways to do this than just shading, as there are amazing artists here who don't shade. It's just one of the many ways to make an image 'pop'

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

That Blood Golem/Melty thing looks utterly wonderful. >.< Such shading.

I made Darth Vader and Sidius! I think I like it.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #504

HalfOrcPirate

banjo1985: Robot, ninja, and comedian cats? Sweet Kinda wanna see a pirate in some form of battle pose now that you've posted a ninja.

FinnLassie: Wow, that's pretty I love the pose; for your first time using Inkscape and making something OotS, you've done a magnificent job.

The Mad Hatter: Darth Vader turned out awesome, as did the Emperor Overall, very sinister! The one thing I will say is that his legs look a bit to wide.

Aaaand I made an illithid. My absolute favorite monster, they're just so... perfect!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by gurgleflep; 2014-03-05 at 12:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks again, guys.

Tried something else. I have... I have no idea where I was going with this. Another case of derping around with InkScape, this is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    I made Darth Vader and Sidius! I think I like it.
    Neat, I never really see much Star Wars stuff around here. The only thing that irks me is actually a tiny detail. It looks like the emperor is standing on Vader's left foot, because of that itty bitty black triangle under his feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflep View Post
    My absolute favorite monster, they're just so... perfect!
    Oozes are clearly much cooler monsters.

Thanks again, guys.

Tried something else. I have... I have no idea where I was going with this. Another case of derping around with InkScape, this is.
    Interesting concept for an image. I'd suggest maybe making his head and feet bigger and using slightly thicker lines all around. As a fan of tiny details though, you scored massive points with me by adding that tiny shadow under his finger on the button.

Having been inspired by the Iron avatarist thread to do, well, anything, I'm getting back into drawing requests from the thread.

I don't know when the last time I drew something with a smile was. I always draw angsty things for some reason.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2014-03-02 at 10:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks again, guys.

Spoiler
    Show
    You're going to go reeaaallly far, little Finnie.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    Having been inspired by the Iron avatarist thread to do, well, anything, I'm getting back into drawing requests from the thread.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

My new campaign has magically got me to draw OotS.

Spoiler
    Show

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

My new campaign has magically got me to draw OotS.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is this a PbP? And if so, could you link to the IC? It looks like a very interesting story to read.