New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Fluff Thread VIII: "Khorne's Most Favourite Thread EVER"

As I understood it the reason Ork society is supposed to be perfect is because Orks don't want for anything. They have food enough for all, drink for everyone, everyone has a job (or near enough), everyone is happy with their place in life and they all have the potential to rise through the ranks (except the grots of course, but the Eldar would probably forget them).

Every other race by contrast languishes in misery, self denial, corruption or mindlessness. The Orks more or less have it made.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Fluff Thread VIII: "Khorne's Most Favourite Thread EVER"

Eldrad Ulthran
    Uthran

Others have pointed out that it wasn't Eldrad. I have outlined my reading error.
    I cant help but think the nickname "the perverse" should have hinted at this being another guy

...Unless im missing a vital bit of Eldar lore
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone read anything good lately? I haven't read any 40K books since, I want to say December.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-03-14 at 07:58 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #604
    Troll in the Playground

Fear to Tread was nice, but you likely already read that.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

5. - Top - End - #605
    Troll in the Playground

I've just finished 'Unremembered Empire' which was well written its just that by the end of the book things were pretty much the same as at the start
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also I know Curze is dangerous but really he makes three other Primarchs look like chumps on their home ground with two Legions backing them up. When did he become so much better than the rest of the Primarchs
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #606
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Without having read the book, I'm assuming it's because the Loyalist primarchs are still trying to achieve objectives, and that limits them, wheras a man dressed as a bat has no limits.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

Spoilers for the book
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cruze is loose on Ultramar, where currently Vulkan (mentally badly messed up), the Lion and Guilliman are. He wants to kill them, they want to kill him, those are the only objectives either side really has.
    The Lion and Guillman have their Legions....Cruze has himself.
    Heh sounds like a versus scenario
    Cruze runs rings round the Lion and Guilliman and only fails to kill them because of a huge Deus ex Machina. I lost track of the number of times he does kill Vulkan
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2014-03-14 at 09:05 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

8. - Top - End - #608
    Banned

Devil

Just as a quick aside, anyone UK-based interested in Insignium Astartes? I have one for sale, as I'm soon to be leaving for Australia within the next few months. Shoot me a PM if you are. It's got some decent older fluff in there, and you can see the evolution of the SM, especially if you have the newer FW:HH books.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    As I understood it the reason Ork society is supposed to be perfect is because Orks don't want for anything. They have food enough for all, drink for everyone, everyone has a job (or near enough), everyone is happy with their place in life and they all have the potential to rise through the ranks (except the grots of course, but the Eldar would probably forget them).
    If a grot was worthy (by ork standards) of a better rank, it wouldn't be a grot.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Banned

The Imperial Truth had some nice bits as well.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, essentially, my reccomendations are to 'read Horus Heresy books', well, yeah. Obviously. Any books outside of the Horus Heresy that are any good?

RE; Curze.
    I'll say it once, I'll say it again;

It feels like the writers stick Curze in for the sake of putting anyone in. What we want, is to see Primarchs fight. Except they can't fight, because a whole bunch of them need to survive until The Battle of Terra. But Curze? He's totally random, lol, amirite? Curze will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. And that's why he gets to fight ALL the Primarchs! It's dumb. But, what else can the authors write without screwing it up?

Did Curze try and get Lion to punish him? I can't remember reading either of the Dark Angels books.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    What we want, is to see Primarchs fight. Except they can't fight, because a whole bunch of them need to survive until The Battle of Terra.
    For the life of me, I will never understand why they decided to make Vulcan an Perpetual.

WHY. WHAT DID IT ADD. WHAT WAS THE POINT. PERPETUALS AREN'T EVEN THAT COOL OR INTERESTING A CONCEPT ANYWAY.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    For the life of me, I will never understand why they decided to make Vulcan an ???????.

WHY. WHAT DID IT ADD. WHAT WAS THE POINT. ?????? AREN'T EVEN THAT COOL OR INTERESTING A CONCEPT ANYWAY.

I had to go look up what that was. And I agree....that's a kind of lame superpower.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, it was cool when Duncan Idaho did it (sort of)...In 1969!

But, let it not be said that 40K doesn't owe a lot to Dune anyway.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-03-14 at 11:41 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #615

For that matter...if that's a power he inherited from the Emperor, why did they need to put the Emperor on the Throne in the first place? Why not just let him die and respawn?

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    why did they need to put the Emperor on the Throne in the first place? Why not just let him die and respawn?
    Because nobody knows if the Emperor can do that. A whole bunch of people suspect that Big E can respawn, but nobody really knows for sure, and nobody is willing to take the risk. Malcador turned to dust on the Throne, if the Imperium doesn't have Big E to sit on it, who else is there?
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #617

Because nobody knows if the Emperor can do that. A whole bunch of people suspect that Big E can respawn, but nobody really knows for sure, and nobody is willing to take the risk. Malcador turned to dust on the Throne, if the Imperium doesn't have Big E to sit on it, who else is there?
    ...send Magnus a cookie and a really heart-felt apology note?

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

...send Magnus a cookie and a really heart-felt apology note?
    Does Magnus even hate the Emperor? I know he despises the Space Poodles with a vengeance that burns brighter than the Astronomicon, but I don't recall ever seeing it stated if the Thousand Sons are really with the whole 'Kill Dad' thing.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Does Magnus even hate the Emperor?
    Nope. Magnus was loyal to the end. He hates Tzeentch for what Tzeentch did to his Legion (which was then made a lot worse by Ahriman, of course, who Magnus also hates). Magnus was given a 'Join or Die' choice by Tzeentch, and chose the option that didn't get him killed by Russ.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-03-15 at 12:27 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. Magnus was loyal to the end. He hates Tzeentch for what Tzeentch did to his Legion (which was then made a lot worse by Ahriman, of course, who Magnus also hates). Magnus was given a 'Join or Die' choice by Tzeentch, and chose the option that didn't get him killed by Russ.
    Though this may change what with Graham McNeil's upcoming The Crimson King.

...I wonder what the Thousand Sons would have been like if ADB had written them?
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2014-03-15 at 12:41 AM.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...I wonder what the Thousand Sons would have been like if ADB had written them?
    Even more morally grey, with even less choice. Magnus would have rocked Russ' world (you face a giant, dog!), be poised to win, and Tzeentch would have pulled Magnus out even while he was winning, against his will. Magnus' choice would have already been made years ago when he started dabbling with the Warp even if he didn't know he was making the choice at the time. Magnus thought he was a Master of the Warp? ...He's got no idea.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #622
    Colossus in the Playground

Betrayer seemed to be portraying a Magnus who is approaching the point of joining up with the Rebel legions.

And we know from Collected Visions that he sends Horus a "I'm joining you" message.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

For the life of me, I will never understand why they decided to make Vulcan an ???????.

WHY. WHAT DID IT ADD. WHAT WAS THE POINT. ?????? AREN'T EVEN THAT COOL OR INTERESTING A CONCEPT ANYWAY.

QFT
    Spoiler
    Show
    In 'Unremembered Empire' Curze kills Vulkan so many times it goes from vaguely entertaining, to sad to kinda funny
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2014-03-15 at 07:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Even more morally grey, with even less choice. Magnus would have rocked Russ' world (you face a giant, dog!), be poised to win, and Tzeentch would have pulled Magnus out even while he was winning, against his will. Magnus' choice would have already been made years ago when he started dabbling with the Warp even if he didn't know he was making the choice at the time. Magnus thought he was a Master of the Warp? ...He's got no idea.
    The universe (both this one and 40k's) is notably less awesome for this not being canon.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    The universe (both this one and 40k's) is notably less awesome for this not being canon.
    To be fair, Magnus does shatter Russ' breastplate, and puncture one of his hearts with one punch. People always remember that Magnus is the Primarch who is good at Psyking, but I find that some people just ignore the fact that Magnus is a giant, even among Primarchs.

You thought Vulkan had a weird gift from Dad? Magnus is giant. And Red.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #626
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

[....] some people just ignore the fact that Magnus is a giant, even among Primarchs.
    I thought it was odd, too, that this is so easily dismissed.

At the end of A Thousand Sons, Magnus fist-fights Leman Russ to a standstill while at the same time concentrating on casting the greatest spell that the Galaxy had seen to date; teleporting the entire 1,000 survivors of his Legion to another planet on the other side of the Segmentum Solar. He only 'loses' when his task is complete and he essentially abandons his physical body to become an energy-based lifeform, making his 'execution' at Russ' hands hollow and pointless.

None of this is exaggeration or hyperbole. Given his full attention and free use of psykery as well as his physical prowess, Magnus could almost certainly take Leman Russ - The Executioner, the Emperor's Red Right Hand - one on one.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2014-03-15 at 08:59 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    At the end of A Thousand Sons, Magnus fist-fights Leman Russ to a standstill while at the same time concentrating on casting the greatest spell that the Galaxy had seen to date
    Wizards > Fighters. Everyone knows.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #628

Wizards > Fighters. Everyone knows.
    Clearly, psions are OP. Which is why the Emperor banned them from all his campaigns.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Clearly, psions are OP. Which is why the Emperor banned them from all his campaigns.
    They're not OP, it was just that nobody really understands how they work.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

They're not OP, it was just that nobody really understands how they work.
    Magnus is so OP, man, it;s so easy to dump all your PP into one Power and do, like, a million damage from Level 1

Emps: "New houserule, guys, Psions can only be Telepaths, and can only take Missive, Mass Missive, and Astral Traveler powers."

Magnus: "These houserules suck--"

Russ & Mortarion: "Shut up rollplayer"