New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What Books Are You Reading Right Now?

I'm currently reading Deadstock by Jefrey Thomas, mostly to pass the time until Brian McClellan releases the next book in his Powder Mage trilogy later this month.
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

The Powder Mage series - also known as Those Books with the Most Badass Cover Art Ever
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

3. - Top - End - #483
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just finished Simon Hawke's The Reluctant Sorcerer. Pretty enjoyable for pulp fantasy that I picked up for a buck. Oh, (computer) scientists being transported into fantasy worlds where this may or may not translate into a talent for magic, I need to figure out where this trope first arose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Whoo hoo!!!!

Hadrian is gone, gone, gone, and now I'm finally able to start The Anglo-Saxon World, an audiocourse by Michael Drout. He's deeply enthusiastic about the language, the culture, and the history, and in the first five minutes he's already mentioned Tolkien--who was his original inspiration for studying linguistics--plus MacGuyver and Angelina Jolie. He's like that, and it's great fun.

I've been waiting to start this since January, so it's time to dive in. He starts by reading a lengthy passage in Anglo-Saxon, with a thoroughly convincing accent, and that really helps set the mood. Time to get my Hengest on!

5. - Top - End - #485

War Maid's Choice by David Weber. Its the latest book in his pretty much only fantasy series as he normally does sci fi stuff. It is awesome, badass and excellent in every way. He has the standard fantasy races, elves, dwarves, halflings, etc. But he has put his own very big twists on them. Elves for example, are a created race. They gave up the ability to do magic in order to live forever. Halflings are the result of dark wizards using too much magic around their servants without caring enough to protect them. Think of it like comic book style exposure to radiation. Only this created a race of beings. The main character's race though is a new one, hradani. They are bigger, stronger, and faster than men, live around 2-3x as long, and heal faster from injuries, not wolverine fast, but if a wound would put a man down for a week, it would drop a hradani for a day or so. The downside is they were afflicted by something known as The Rage by dark wizards in the distant past. Basically they can lose their temper and turn into deranged berserkers, though some few can control it.

The series has tons of humor in it. Lots of quips going back and forth between friends, the fight scenes are well done, the background mythology is fairly new and interesting, and the story itself is pretty gripping. If you want to check it out, it starts with Oath of Swords. If you like fantasy I highly suggest you read it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #486

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Whoo hoo!!!!

Hadrian is gone, gone, gone, and now I'm finally able to start The Anglo-Saxon World, an audiocourse by Michael Drout. He's deeply enthusiastic about the language, the culture, and the history, and in the first five minutes he's already mentioned Tolkien--who was his original inspiration for studying linguistics--plus MacGuyver and Angelina Jolie. He's like that, and it's great fun.

I've been waiting to start this since January, so it's time to dive in. He starts by reading a lengthy passage in Anglo-Saxon, with a thoroughly convincing accent, and that really helps set the mood. Time to get my Hengest on!

You're one of those gung-ho self-improvement types, aren't ya? Certainly sounds interesting though.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-05-03 at 07:38 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Just finished Simon Hawke's The Reluctant Sorcerer. Pretty enjoyable for pulp fantasy that I picked up for a buck. Oh, (computer) scientists being transported into fantasy worlds where this may or may not translate into a talent for magic, I need to figure out where this trope first arose.
    I seem to remember reading stuff by Lyon Sprage de Camp that was very much in that vein
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

I rereading the Time Machine right now.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm reading a collection of HP Lovecraft's stories for the first time.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    You just described Ragewar/The Dungeonmaster.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

On to Lords and Ladies, which just so happens to be my most favoritest by Pratchett. Also, I'm done with assignments for the spring term, so my reading for the next couple weeks will likely go a bit faster.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

I finally caved and bought the first Iron Druid Chronicles book. I'm already reading like 5 books simultaneously, so it will unfortunately just have to wait.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #493
    Firbolg in the Playground

Finished Reaper Man over the weekend. Good read, no complaints. Now I'm moving onto a book someone loaned me. It's not something I would ever be likely to pick up, but then again that's kinda the point right now. If the back cover summary is any indication, it's the book the movie Shooter was based off of. Or it's a knock-off of said book. Or there's only so many 'former military operative single-handedly saves the [insert high-level government offical] from assassination plot' stories to go around.

I am...less than optimistic about this one. If I'm not finished with it by the time I go on vacation I'll probably drop it, but it'll be a learning experience at any rate.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, finished up Lords and Ladies, and Andre located Small Gods for me, so that one is next...
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Just finished Mouse Guard: the Black Axe (superb stuff, and the art was gorgeous as always), and am in the middle of Turn Coat. My Dresden reread continues! Can I finish Cold Days before Skin Game comes out? (Probably.)
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-05-05 at 09:00 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

Rereading Anansi Boys. You know, I think I actually like this more than American Gods.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

I have to stop watching mock the week.. I read that as "nancy boys".. in Frankie Boyle's voice
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Personal Reminders:
    1) Don't get sick before finals
    2) If sick before finals, don't do a six mile grocery hike, even if the Strategic Yogurt Reserve is empty.
    3) If both the above conditions occur however, Time Enough for Love is a very good choice for a brain-soothing reread at the end of the day.

I really do like Time Enough for Love. So few books manage to be, for wont of a better term, completely prosaic epics. Sure there's some freaky stuff in there, some sexual combinatorics that aren't usually presented in a positive way, but that's kinda part of the whole point. Strikes me that threesomes with gender-swapped clones are an inevitable logical consequence of a non-inhibited approach to sex, really. Not my thing to be sure, but that's OK. Plus, the writing's still bloody fantastic. If more genre fiction was written almost entirely as dialog, I might still read more genre fiction.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Picked up a few of the Johnny Dixon novels by John Bellairs, out of a desire to see if they really were as good as I thought they were as a kid. They're surprisingly good, although the youth-oriented writing means that the plots are resolved too quickly, with clues that are too obvious. Does anyone know of any adult-targeted works that are similar?

20. - Top - End - #500
    Pixie in the Playground

i'm at the very end of eclipse by stephenie meyer then i'm moving on to breaking dawn (obviously lol).

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I have to stop watching mock the week.. I read that as "nancy boys".. in Frankie Boyle's voice
    There's a joke here to be made about American Gods' Mr. Nancy, but I can't put my finger on it.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    There's a joke here to be made about American Gods' Mr. Nancy, but I can't put my finger on it.
    Well. The character in Anansi Boys also has Nancy as his surname. So... it's pretty much written into the novel itself.

As an aside; I actually grew up with a bunch of Anansi folklore. My babysitter/housekeeper was from Mali, and told me many of their folk tales. I also had this book of African folklore, containing one or two Anansi stories. Very pretty book. Sort of an Afrikaans Orange Fairy Book, with pictures and everything.

...wonder if I still have that book somewhere.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2014-05-06 at 09:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

I'm about forty pages into Samuel Delany's Dhalgren. It's almost certainly my favorite book, and I read it every couple of years; last time was in 2011.

I'm also working on a piece of writing that draws heavily from a lot of gnostic texts and early Christian apocrypha, so I'm catching up on much of that. I've got Jean-Yves Leloup's book on the Gospel of Mary Magdalene going on audiobook right now, and I just finished the Arabic Infancy Gospel. Next I plan to re-read the Nag Hammadi library in full, although I haven't decided on whether I'm going to go with Robinson's Nag Hammadi Library in English or Layton's Gnostic Scriptures: A New Translation. That said, my library currently has Robinson, while I'd have to get Layton through ILL, so I might just take the easier path and go with Robinson.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    You just described Ragewar/The Dungeonmaster.
    Also the Wizardry series by Rick Cook.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

25. - Top - End - #505

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Also the Wizardry series by Rick Cook.
    That was my first exposure to the concept as a kid, I believe.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #506

I've put Deadstock on hold for now and picked up Leviathan Wakes instead. I'll probably pick it up again in a couple of months once all the big releases have come and gone.
    From what I've read so far of it, Leviathan Wakes is much more my thing. Not really surprising, I've always been more into hard-ish Sci-Fi
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so I just accidentally finished the first Iron Druid Chronicles book. The one I said will just have to wait. Whoops.

So now I'm addicted and have to get the rest asap. Also whoops.

...aaaand I just finished the second book. That didn't take long. Now I might as well just read the rest and be done with it, heh.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2014-05-07 at 03:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Reading some Mary Oliver, I think I am noticing two things. Firstly I like Mary Oliver, anybody who's outlook remains so thoroughly rural and who's poetry is so rooted observing nature is doing something very right in my book. Secondly I don't think I'm a tremendous fan of blank verse. It's nice, it just isn't memorable.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Just this afternoon finished Drout's audiocourse on Anglo-Saxon history, which ended up being part history, part culture and much literature, since that's his specialty. He has a slightly goofy, entirely sincere enthusiasm for his topic which is great fun to listen to, and I enjoyed the frequent Tolkien references. (Although who knew Thomas Jefferson was such an Anglo-Saxon enthusiast?)

It was a great overview of five hundred years of the Anglo-Saxon world, although necessarily rushed, and now it makes me want to read that history in much greater detail. I have Blair's Roman Britain and Early England, which I've been meaning to look at for a while, but it seems a little stodgy. Most histories would, after Drout's spirited reading of Anglo-Saxon passages.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to get a sense of this language, listen to some of the readings on his Anglo-Saxon Aloud, which has a wealth of material recorded as podcasts--from short snippets of poetry to long manuscripts.

Originally Posted by warty goblin
    Firstly I like Mary Oliver, anybody who's outlook remains so thoroughly rural and who's poetry is so rooted observing nature is doing something very right in my book.
    This sounds like something I might enjoy, will have to look this up. Although....

Originally Posted by warty goblin
    Secondly I don't think I'm a tremendous fan of blank verse. It's nice, it just isn't memorable.
    I have never, ever thought much of blank verse. I grew up with Tolkien, and I firmly believe poetry needs to have a rhythmic power when spoken aloud.

Sadly, blank verse has been very trendy with the snoberati, who in my experience are all too eager to snobbify at those poor, unfortunate souls who actually enjoy archaic structures like rhyme.

--You can probably tell I have some personal experience with this. I had the misfortune to share an office with someone who is considered something of a poet, and who certainly considered herself the cutting edge of literary awesome. Whatever inner experiences she wrote about, they didn't involve humility.

30. - Top - End - #510

Finished Leviathan Wakes. Easily the best scifi I've read this year.
    Started reading Patric O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series. I read the first couple of books in Danish ten years ago but only learned recently that he wrote ten books, so I've got plenty reading to do now. :D
    This is a good world