New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tail Thread 3: Demon-ex Machinus

And Natsu isn't arrogant?
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    And Natsu isn't arrogant?
    Not like Sabertooth was. So no.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Though speaking of, Sting and Rogue still haven't mentioned the whole "We didn't really straight up murder our dragon-dads" bit to Natsu et al, have they?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Though speaking of, Sting and Rogue still haven't mentioned the whole "We didn't really straight up murder our dragon-dads" bit to Natsu et al, have they?
    I can't imagine Natsu not hearing about that from someone else by now. No need to waste screen time depicting the reveal again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Mavis continues to be an insanely more interesting character than anything in Fairy Tail.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Mavis continues to be an insanely more interesting character than anything in Fairy Tail.
    I just wonder when she'll start teaching us how to type.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I just wonder when she'll start teaching us how to type.
    Typing Magic with Mavis is slotted for a Q1 release in 2015.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Maevis certainly delivers once more, and though she is annoyingly clever at times she evens it up with being slightly clueless at other times, creating an interesting balance.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

So I re-read the earlier couple chapters when the new chapter of Zero came out, and I came to a couple conclusions:

1) Zeira is an illusion - just watch Yuriy's reactions in chapter 3, he is seriously disturbed and confused to be introduced to her, implying either that he can tell she's an illusion, or he already knew she was dead.

2) The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the word game Mavis won was absurdly open to loophole abuse from the person making statements. Just off the top of my head, you could abuse and win the game by:

A) Speaking in a different language - there was no rule that the other person had to actually UNDERSTAND what you said

B) Expressing something in a foreign unit of measurement - i.e. using centimeters instead of inches makes the bulk of Americans completely unable to comprehend what you said, while expressing it in inches vice centimeters would do the same for a large part of the rest of the world. Along those lines there are some EXTREMELY uncommon or retired units of measurement that most people don't even know exist, much less how much they represent - express somebody's height in Light-Seconds for instance.

C) Adding onto 'B', if you add in unusual prefixes to the unit of measurement - i.e. say to an American 'you are 1.778 e12 picometers tall' (70 inches) and 99.9% of them wouldn't have the faintest idea what you said without Google and a calculator

D) Expressing something simple as a needlessly convoluted mathematical equation - i.e. instead of 'you are wearing two shoes', you could say 'you are wearing {[(500/1 x 1/200)* 4] x(2^3 x 2^-1)} / {(3 x 4 x 5) / {[(3x7)-36]+18} } shoes'

E) Expressing a large number in a different mathematical base language instead of base 10 - i.e. 'In base 4, your jacket has 110 buttons' (24 in base 10).

F) (Requires a clock you can observe) - something along the lines of 'at the time of this statement, since entering this circle, you have smiled for exactly 6.3 seconds' (Obviously requires you not to smile so you don't have it in common to be legal)

Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many more you could do
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-10-23 at 12:06 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

After having caught up on Zero...
    Spoiler: ? (Zero)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    So I re-read the earlier couple chapters when the new chapter of Zero came out, and I came to a couple conclusions:

1) Zeira is an illusion - just watch Yuriy's reactions in chapter 3, he is seriously disturbed and confused to be introduced to her, implying either that he can tell she's an illusion, or he already knew she was dead.
    More like "made up friend" but quite possible, yes.

2) The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the word game Mavis won was absurdly open to loophole abuse from the person making statements. Just off the top of my head, you could abuse and win the game by:
    There are many more... I guess it still goes against the spirit of the game because if you'd just ask such stupid things it would be no fun.

It's still a pretty neat story. I'm looking forward to where it's going, especially with Zeref showing up now. And I wonder if Mavis dies so young or if she's an illusion now or...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

That is a really interesting theory, i will try and read though again myself to check that out. Do you have anything else to support it besides Yuriy's reaction?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    That is a really interesting theory, i will try and read though again myself to check that out. Do you have anything else to support it besides Yuriy's reaction?
    I would also like to say that it is entirely possible that Mavis doesn't KNOW that Zeira is an illusion, and created and maintained her subconsciously.

A few things:

1) We saw what appeared to be a death scene of Zeira on-panel, complete with Mavis acting like she died - to the point that she cried for the first time in her life. Then we cut past a time skip and see her walking and talking, with absolutely NO explanation for her miraculous recovery. Mavis' desire to meet the fairies (and thus the determination not to cry) was pretty much the central point of her entire life. Why would she violate basically the dream of her entire life by crying over somebody that isn't dead?

2) Zeira has so far interacted with nobody but Mavis and done nothing unless Mavis explicitly tells her to.

3) Yuriy's reaction in chapter 3 is not the reaction of somebody being introduced to a girl. It's the reaction of somebody along the lines of, "What the **** is going on here". It certainly isn't the reaction of meeting somebody's friend (since he already met Mavis, the shock factor of finding somebody on an abandoned island should not be there). This adds on top of the fact that he was shocked there was another girl at all - despite there being several panels of Zeira saying things to Mavis while she is standing right in front of him, and him not noticing her spying on them for a rather extended period of time - the entire time they were playing the game, following them all the way across the island to the Tenrou Jade shrine, and then boarding the ship, all without Yuriy realizing there is somebody else there?

4) In fact, Zeira managed to remain totally unseen to ALL of the members of the crew the entire time on the island, even though she was following them, and then she managed to board the ship unseen to all of them. A 13ish year old girl remaining unseen to an entire party of rather powerful mages, even managing to board their ship without being seen, strains credibility unless there is something else going on.

This implies that at the time, Mavis is the only one that could see or hear her. When she told Zeira to come out, she 'activated' the illusion so other people could see her to (again, Mavis may not even be aware that she IS an illusion).

5) During the game, Yuriy was analyzing the room so he could say facts about her. You'd think he'd realize there were signs that a second person lived there - unless Zeira is leaving no physical signs behind. This is a pretty big thing, given that he was counting on the information he gleaned from the room giving him important facts about Mavis.

6) Mavis now has demonstrated the ability to use illusion magic, to a degree that she can fool one low class and one at least middle class mage (the Blue Skull bartender and Precht). Yuriy seems to be the leader of the group, which implies that he is a much stronger magician at this time, so it stands to reason if anybody were going to see through the illusions it was going to be him.

7) Zeira has worn EXACTLY the same outfit the entire time. While not necessarily unusual for a manga character, in three chapters Mavis so far has worn 3 different outfits (white dress on the island, black shirt and skirt on the ship, black dress in the town) - Mavis' outfit changes contrast rather drastically with Zeira always wearing the same outfit.

Those are the big ones that I've noticed.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-10-23 at 08:51 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm kicking myself for not realizing that myself... yeah seems pretty self-evident.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yea my money is on that as well, one thing I am wondering though. Can any of the soon to be fairys actually use magic?

Yuriy uses a magic item but doesn't seem to do any magic himself and Hades was just using normal blades rather than his Chain magic, plus they call themselves a treasure hunting guild not a mage guild so seems to me at the moment the only cast member capable of magic is Mavis.

(I haven't really been around for while so this may have already been brought up.)
    Last edited by Spacewolf; 2014-10-23 at 10:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Yea my money is on that as well, one thing I am wondering though. Can any of the soon to be fairys actually use magic?

Yuriy uses a magic item but doesn't seem to do any magic himself and Hades was just using normal blades rather than his Chain magic, plus they call themselves a treasure hunting guild not a mage guild so seems to me at the moment the only cast member capable of magic is Mavis.

(I haven't really been around for while so this may have already been brought up.)
    Almost all of the magic in Fairy Tail so far has no use outside of combat.

Given that most of them haven't been in a situation where combat magic would be required, why would they use it?

Precht (Hades) is the only one who's actually been in a fight, and he absolutely destroyed the tavern toughs without magic, so why would he bother with it?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Almost all of the magic in Fairy Tail so far has no use outside of combat.

Given that most of them haven't been in a situation where combat magic would be required, why would they use it?

Precht (Hades) is the only one who's actually been in a fight, and he absolutely destroyed the tavern toughs without magic, so why would he bother with it?
    Well it wouldn't be a problem for them to just simply be in a magic-lite frame of mind... but how often do we see magic not used by people who can?People in FT have never exactly been shy about using magic, indeed iirc it actually more "magic fist" martial arts by the Japanese terms used. And its not like Hades used just a punch-out-fast-to-look-cool thing but a distinct weapon. It was easy sure but not quite effortless.

(Not to mention he's making a call forward but not using a pretty signature magic the readers know about? Suggests strongly he doesn't have it to me)

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

4) In fact, Zeira managed to remain totally unseen to ALL of the members of the crew the entire time on the island, even though she was following them, and then she managed to board the ship unseen to all of them. A 13ish year old girl remaining unseen to an entire party of rather powerful mages, even managing to board their ship without being seen, strains credibility unless there is something else going on.
    Not to argue with the general point, but we hardly have seen anything of the journey or about her being unseen by anyone. She's just there with the others when they return to covolizaion but yes, nobody takes note of her.

7) Zeira has worn EXACTLY the same outfit the entire time. While not necessarily unusual for a manga character, in three chapters Mavis so far has worn 3 different outfits (white dress on the island, black shirt and skirt on the ship, black dress in the town) - Mavis' outfit changes contrast rather drastically with Zeira always wearing the same outfit.
    Wait, so roughly half of every manga character ever is possibly an illusion?

I'm still more inclined for the more simple "imaginary friend" idea, as in, nobody can see/hear her, except Mavis. When she is introduced to Yuriy he never reacts to anything she says, only Mavis' dialogue is necessary for things to happen as it does. She might as well not be there at all. Given, if she keeps this up the whole time it is weird nobody would call her out on it yet, but I guess they decided(?) not to tell her, her only friend is not real.

Of course, this could all be false leads, but I guess the biggest indication is Yuriy's weird reaction when she is introduced.
    "What's done is done."

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

I'm still more inclined for the more simple "imaginary friend" idea, as in, nobody can see/hear her, except Mavis. When she is introduced to Yuriy he never reacts to anything she says, only Mavis' dialogue is necessary for things to happen as it does. She might as well not be there at all. Given, if she keeps this up the whole time it is weird nobody would call her out on it yet, but I guess they decided(?) not to tell her, her only friend is not real.

Of course, this could all be false leads, but I guess the biggest indication is Yuriy's weird reaction when she is introduced.
    I'm more inclined to believe this one, since they kept flashing to where she should have been during the Truth game and she wasn't there. Also the "Hey uh, you know" he said after the "introduction".
    Last edited by Razade; 2014-10-24 at 10:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm more inclined to believe this one, since they kept flashing to where she should have been during the Truth game and she wasn't there. Also the "Hey uh, you know" he said after the "introduction".
    Not possible. In chapter 4 Precht explicitly says 'all we have to show for it are TWO brats'.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Not possible. In chapter 4 Precht explicitly says 'all we have to show for it are TWO brats'.
    That's not what the translation I read said, though it does say Brats plural. However they pan to where she's supposed to be standing in the previous chapter and she's not there. What's the point of panning around the room?

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

That's not what the translation I read said, though it does say Brats plural. However they pan to where she's supposed to be standing in the previous chapter and she's not there. What's the point of panning around the room?
    To show that she's not there. I already explained this - it's entirely possible that Mavis doesn't KNOW she's an illusion, and until she explicitly ordered Zeira to come out, she wasn't visible to anybody but Mavis. At that point the others could see her.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

To show that she's not there. I already explained this - it's entirely possible that Mavis doesn't KNOW she's an illusion, and until she explicitly ordered Zeira to come out, she wasn't visible to anybody but Mavis. At that point the others could see her.
    That's not really an illusion. That's a delusion. I'm not arguing that she maybe can be made into an illusion, just that there's probably more to it than it all.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

That's not really an illusion. That's a delusion. I'm not arguing that she maybe can be made into an illusion, just that there's probably more to it than it all.
    A delusion is something that isn't there at all.

An illusion, while not real, can at least be seen by everybody.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

A delusion is something that isn't there at all.

An illusion, while not real, can at least be seen by everybody.
    An illusion is something that isn't there made to look like it's there. Works both ways. We can agree to disagree and see how it shakes out.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

The line is indeed unspecific... without having knowledge of japanese I'm going to guess it's more arbitrary in the original wording. We'll see.

Anyway, new chapter of the normal story.
    Spoiler
    Show

I was about to say "nothing happens", except Mard still proves to be way too powerful for the DS but then the last page had at least something to keep me interested: Mavis frozen in a crystal if Lumen Histoire. So... because Mavis is so popular Hiro will bring her into the main cast...?

Also, I wish Mard "getting angry" would have had a different consequence than just... more thorny vines.
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #476

The line is indeed unspecific... without having knowledge of japanese I'm going to guess it's more arbitrary in the original wording. We'll see.

Spoiler
    Show

I was about to say "nothing happens", except Mard still proves to be way too powerful for the DS but then the last page had at least something to keep me interested: Mavis frozen in a crystal if Lumen Histoire. So... because Mavis is so popular Hiro will bring her into the main cast...?

Also, I wish Mard "getting angry" would have had a different consequence than just... more thorny vines.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What I took from this chapter is that the fantranslators have been simplifying things. Because the official translations on Crunchyroll have been flipflopping between third, second, and first person pronouns for how Mard Gear describes himself. This chapter reveals that Mard Gear is more like a title or role he's playing for Master END, kind of like Count Bleck from Super Paper Mario. So now that makes sense.

But yeah nothing really happens this chapter except "our heroes try to punch Mard Gear but instead he just sits on his chair" and "oops guess we spoiled how the MAvis Fairy Tail series ends: with her getting crystalized"

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Dangit, they're starting a filler arc. And a stupid-looking one at that.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Well there goes my pet theory as to what Lumen Histoire is:

Spoiler: Obsolete Speculation
    Show
    The sealed/captured souls of all past Fairy Tail members, serving as an actual mechanism for Friendship Power (by feeding the current members magic through their guild marks).

Speaking of which, I don't see what's so crazy about Mavis-in-stasis to make Gildarts go "WTF is this" and Ivan to call it "Fairy Tail's darkness." Weird, sure. Crazy? Maybe by some other manga's standards.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

28. - Top - End - #478

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Dangit, they're starting a filler arc. And a stupid-looking one at that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well there goes my pet theory as to what Lumen Histoire is:

Spoiler: Obsolete Speculation
    Show
    The sealed/captured souls of all past Fairy Tail members, serving as an actual mechanism for Friendship Power (by feeding the current members magic through their guild marks).

Speaking of which, I don't see what's so crazy about Mavis-in-stasis to make Gildarts go "WTF is this" and Ivan to call it "Fairy Tail's darkness." Weird, sure. Crazy? Maybe by some other manga's standards.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe it has something to do with like...not letting the past go? Like, "wtf why are you keeping the Guild Founder alive through unnatural means that's wrong!?" and what not.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

So important question... where the **** does Greer keep getting that throne of his? I swear Natsu, Sting and Rogue have accidentally blown it up like 2 or 3 times already and Greer keeps suddenly going back to lounging in it.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #480

So important question... where the **** does Greer keep getting that throne of his? I swear Natsu, Sting and Rogue have accidentally blown it up like 2 or 3 times already and Greer keeps suddenly going back to lounging in it.
    I like to imagine it's a magical construct made out of roses.