New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1599
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVI

Q. 492.

If a goliath (with powerful build) wields a large sized spiked chain, would the reach increase from 10ft to 15ft?

most relevant section I could find in the srd:

Spoiler: SRD
    Show
    Reach Weapons
    Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, spiked chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren’t adjacent to him or her. Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away.

Note: Small and Medium creatures wielding reach weapons threaten all squares 10 feet (2 squares) away, even diagonally. (This is an exception to the rule that 2 squares of diagonal distance is measured as 15 feet.)

Q. 493

Can a martial adept class refrain from selecting a stance, and select one at a later level?

(e.g. could a crusader not select a stance at level 2, and wait until level 5 when they would have an initiator level of 3, to select a stance that needed a higher initiator level as a prereq?)
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2014-04-13 at 06:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 492

No. A reach weapon doubles the user's natural reach regardless of the size of the weapon (with the exception that a weapon that is too small does not provide any increase to reach). Goliaths are Medium sized; powerful build does not give them the reach of a Large-sized creature.

A 493

No, there is no provision in the rules for delaying the learning of maneuvers, just like there is no provision for delaying the taking of feats or the spending of skill points.

The common method for ToB classes to wait for a higher initiator level is to multiclass.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2014-04-13 at 06:49 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 494

a) The general rule for reach weapons is that most of them double the wielder's natural reach, yet every reach weapon in the PHB says that you can strike targets 10 ft. aways. So is the reach of those weapons dependent on the reach of the wielder or is it fixed?

b) Are there any weapons that explicitly double the wielder's reach?

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 495
    I have a question--I hope I've come to the right place.

My Dread Necromancer currently has DR 4 / bludgeoning and magic.

Does this mean that both bludgeoning weapons and magical weapons overcome my DR?
    OR does this mean that ONLY magical bludgeoning weapons overcome my DR?
    Last edited by Chester; 2014-04-13 at 07:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 494

The lines "<X Weapon> has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe." are clearly a reminder of what the reach quality does in the hands of a typical character. Note that the Player's Handbook does not present any playable races whose natural reach is not 5 feet.

For an actual example of a weapon which does not simply double the user's natural reach, see the whip.

A 495

The qualities after the slash tell you what is necessary to defeat your damage reduction. The combination "magic and bludgeoning" means that the weapon must be both magical and bludgeoning in order to deal full damage (Ex: a +1 club). If it was only one or the other, the combination would read "magic or bludgeoning".
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2014-04-13 at 07:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

A 495

DR X/bludgeoning and magic means that the weapon must be both bludgeoning and magic to overcome the DR.
    DR X/bludgeoning or magic means that a weapon that is either bludgeoning or magic or both overcomes the DR.

7. - Top - End - #1057

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 495

DR X/bludgeoning and magic means that the weapon must be both bludgeoning and magic to overcome the DR.
    DR X/bludgeoning or magic means that a weapon that is either bludgeoning or magic or both overcomes the DR.
    OK, thanks!
    EDIT: (And thaks to KillianHawkeye, too!)

And to follow up:

Q 496

If I'm hit with a magical morningstar, which is bludgeoning and piercing, does it count as bludgeoning, or does the piercing aspect help me out?
    Last edited by Chester; 2014-04-13 at 07:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 496

A weapon with "and" in the damage types deals both/all types of damages simultaneously, meaning both/all types will help to overcome the appropriate sort of damage resistance. A weapon with "or" means you have to decide what type of damage to deal when you make the attack; only the damage type you've chosen will apply.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

Q. 497

Interaction between knock-down and improved trip. If someone provokes an AoO and receives enough damage to be tripped, does the person doing the tripping get a free attack due to the description of Improved Trip.

Q. 498

Can Power attack be used as part of an AoO?

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 498

The penalty and bonus from using Power Attack are declared on your turn (before any of your attacks), and they last until your next turn including any Attacks of Opportunity you take. You cannot, however, change how much Power Attack you are using when the Attack of Opportunity happens, nor can you decide to use it or not use it when you are already not using or using it.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ettin in the Playground

A 497

Yes:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Knock-Down
    Whenever you deal 10 or more points of damage to your opponent in melee, you make a trip attack as a free action against the same target.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Improved Trip
    If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q499
    If a character has fast healing does it work while the character is 'dying' from being reduced to -9 HP? If so does that mean that a character that has it immediately stabilizes and will regain consciousness once they got 0HP?

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 499

Fast Healing automatically causes the character to regain lost hit points, but it does not automatically stabilize them. If the HP gain from Fast Healing causes the character to get to positive HP they become conscious and are no longer dying; otherwise, they continue to lose 1 HP/round until they make their d% roll to stop doing so. While the character losing 1 HP/round with Fast Healing 1 will be in equilibrium, that's not the same as actually being stable. When the character is actually stable, they won't be losing 1 HP/round and then Fast Healing will bring them back to positive HP and consciousness.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 499

Fast Healing automatically causes the character to regain lost hit points, but it does not automatically stabilize them. If the HP gain from Fast Healing causes the character to get to positive HP they become conscious and are no longer dying; otherwise, they continue to lose 1 HP/round until they make their d% roll to stop doing so. While the character losing 1 HP/round with Fast Healing 1 will be in equilibrium, that's not the same as actually being stable. When the character is actually stable, they won't be losing 1 HP/round and then Fast Healing will bring them back to positive HP and consciousness.
    STABLE CREATURES AND RECOVERY
    Another creature can keep a dying one from losing any more hit points with a DC 15 Heal check, making the dying creature stable. If any sort of healing cures a dying creature of even 1 point of damage, that creature stops losing hit points and becomes stable.

Recovering without Help
    A creature that becomes stable on its own (by making the 10% roll while dying) and that has no one to tend to it still loses hit points, just at a slower rate. It has a 10% chance each hour of becoming conscious. Each time it fails this hourly roll to become conscious, it loses 1 hit point and doesn’t recover hit points through natural healing. Once it becomes conscious and disabled, an unaided creature still doesn’t heal naturally. Instead, each day it has a 10% chance to start healing naturally (starting with the day it becomes conscious). Otherwise, it loses 1 hit point. Once an unaided creature starts recovering hit points naturally, it’s no longer in danger of losing hit points in this way.

FAST HEALING
    Creatures that have fast healing have the extraordinary ability to regain hit points at an exceptional rate, usually 1 or more hit points per round. Except as noted here, fast healing is like natural healing.
    The rules compendium seems to indicate otherwise which is why I'm asking this question.

15. - Top - End - #1065

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reshy View Post
    The rules compendium seems to indicate otherwise which is why I'm asking this question.
    A 499 The rules compendium entry on becoming stable refers to the word "cure" in the context of "healing", this does not specifically allow for natural healing (fast healing included). In the next sentence there is a further clause which concerns other types of healing. The type of healing that fast healing and natural healing is not in the first type which requires that the "healing cures" in order to be applied. It does seem silly, but its a fine distinction made by RAW which may not completely make sense.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

Q 500 Is there a language that all Aberrations get as a default? Similar to All Dragons knowing Draconic, all Giants knowing Giant, All Celestials knowing Celestial, All Demons knowing Abyssal and all Fiends knowing Infernal?
    "I Burn!"

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ettin in the Playground

A 500

Nope. Aberrations are pretty diverse and some don't speak at all.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NoACWarrior View Post
    A 499 The rules compendium entry on becoming stable refers to the word "cure" in the context of "healing", this does not specifically allow for natural healing (fast healing included). In the next sentence there is a further clause which concerns other types of healing. The type of healing that fast healing and natural healing is not in the first type which requires that the "healing cures" in order to be applied. It does seem silly, but its a fine distinction made by RAW which may not completely make sense.
    So a character with Draconic Aura set to vigor doesn't actually stabilize players around themselves automatically? Only if the spell or ability specifically includes clause "The subject heals 1 hit point per round of such damage until the spell ends and is automatically stabilized if he or she begins dying from hit point loss during that time." (Like in the Vigor spell line) Otherwise they don't automatically stabilize.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 501

Does the fatigue from Kelgore's grave mist last while in the mist, for the duration of the mist, or until 8hr rest?

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 501v
    If a graft cost 5000 GP, then it will take 5 days to complete. If I want to shell out 20000 Gp all at once and get 4 Rending Clawes attached to me, does it still only take 5 days to complete, or does each one need to be done separately, pputting my character out of commission for 20 days?

Followup Q's,
    1)Would the -4 to will stack with each graft? or is it -4 total for all of that type of graft?

2)Is the player completely out of comission during those days of completing the graft, or is it that's how many days before the graft is usable (but player can be out and about during that time)?
    Last edited by Oddman80; 2014-04-14 at 09:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 501

Fatigued is a condition which remains until alleviated, either magically or by 8 hours complete rest. The ongoing cold damage from Kelgore's Grave Mist is incurred only while within the Mist.

22. - Top - End - #1072

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reshy View Post
    So a character with Draconic Aura set to vigor doesn't actually stabilize players around themselves automatically? Only if the spell or ability specifically includes clause "The subject heals 1 hit point per round of such damage until the spell ends and is automatically stabilized if he or she begins dying from hit point loss during that time." (Like in the Vigor spell line) Otherwise they don't automatically stabilize.
    What you are saying is correct. Draconic vigor only grants fast healing, not of the effect like the vigor line of spells. The vigor line of spells specifically stabilizes the dying subject each and every round. Remember, these are RAW readings, they may not completely make sense or even be practical. That said, I'll try to explain why the effects of fast healing alone shouldn't stabilize. Dying is a state for a creature, but until the creature is dead, the creature also has inherent self healing (via rest). Fast healing simply "speeds up" the natural healing process for a creature, but since while a creature is dying natural healing already takes place (at a very slow rate) faster natural healing wouldn't likewise cause a dying creature to self stabilize without the self stabilization check. But the last 2 sentences were fluff, it means nothing for RAW which is fast healing by itself cannot stabilize the subject unless it would otherwise raise the subject to 0 hp or above.

23. - Top - End - #1073

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oddman80 View Post
    Q 502
    If a graft cost 5000 GP, then it will take 5 days to complete. If I want to shell out 20000 Gp all at once and get 4 Rending Clawes attached to me, does it still only take 5 days to complete, or does each one need to be done separately, pputting my character out of commission for 20 days?

Followup Q's,
    1)Would the -4 to will stack with each graft? or is it -4 total for all of that type of graft?

2)Is the player completely out of comission during those days of completing the graft, or is it that's how many days before the graft is usable (but player can be out and about during that time)?
    A 502 We use the most recent grafting rules as presented in Races of the Dragon to determine graft restrictions. Grafts generally follow item creation as well whenever they can, this means 1 graft requires 1 crafter (who has the appropriate feats) who dedicates their time on that single graft. If you have 4 crafters, you can get up to 4 grafts made at the same time, however this is assuming they are "working" on different parts of your body, and that your body's slots can be grafted independently. If two grafts can occupy the same hands slot, you wouldn't be able to have two crafters making both of the grafts on the same slot at the same time.

For Q1) The penalties stack, unless your DM says that the penalties have a type (D&D penalties do not have a built in type so that they can always stack).
    For Q2) The item being enchanted must remain to be enchanted for the 8 hours of work that the crafter needs to enchant. This said, the person should remain in the crafter's location during enchanting, and can walk around in the off hours, but the person must be back in time for the enchantment to continue the next day.

24. - Top - End - #1074

Q 503
    Can one take a feat if not all prerequisites are met, as long as the feat is not used until the prerequisites are met? For example, I can't have the 8 ranks needed for leap attack until 5th level, but I get feats at 4th & 7th. Can I take it at 4th level, and then not use it until 5th? Or is it by any chance possible to delay getting a feat for a level so that prerequisites are met (i.e., take no feat at 4th, but take one at 5th)?

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Troll in the Playground

A 503

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #1076

Q504: Does a Warlock's Eldritch Blast have verbal or somatic components?

Q505: Do a Warlock's invocations have verbal/somatic components?
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

A 504 and 505:

All of a warlock's invocations, including Eldritch Blast, have somatic components and are subject to arcane spell failure in medium or heavier armor. Officially, none of them have a verbal component, though this is awkward in some cases, such as Baleful Utterance: By the rules as written, a gagged warlock could still use Baleful Utterance, but a DM might rule otherwise.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

28. - Top - End - #1078

Q506:

Are there any LA +0 templates that give Alertness or Endurance as a bonus feat?
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Pixie in the Playground

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.
    <a href="http://www.ifgames.net/">Cool addicting games</a>

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

Q.507
    If I created a continuous use item of Wieldskill (using the rules from the srd here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems...MagicItems.htm)

1. Would it only apply to one specific item type at the moment of creation? e.g: using it to gain proficiency in spiked chain

2. Would it always need to be activated before an encounter, and if so, would it be a standard action or a free action?

3. How much would such an item cost?
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2014-04-15 at 10:26 PM.