New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Fire Emblem Thread II: Stalwarts Unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    I guess it's a result of removing light magic completely and having Dark Magic being a sub group of Elemental Magic that removes a lot of possible Magic/Staff Combo possibilities.
    All the more reason to bring light magic back! We need a magic weapon circle.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jermell View Post
    All the more reason to bring light magic back! We need a magic weapon circle.
    I don't know why they ever removed it in the first place. The GBA magic system was my favorite.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't know why they ever removed it in the first place. The GBA magic system was my favorite.
    I like the RD system where you've got two cycles. One for anima magic and one for the 3 types in general. Of course anima was op in that because there were like 3 dark magic users. But the concept was good.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

I like the RD system where you've got two cycles. One for anima magic and one for the 3 types in general. Of course anima was op in that because there were like 3 dark magic users. But the concept was good.
    I wouldn't mind having that system either, if had better representation from all three types.

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Well awakening was sitting in my pile for a while before I started playing it and I love it.

But the character recruitment is BULL****! I Spend HOURS grinding to ensure a character ends up with another one and I feel cheated when the computer denies me the child as a character! Because the stupid goddamn chief suicide attacks me! Worst part I didn't even know that was a character recruitment mission so I saved over my file!

So many of the missions feel like rubbish "Trial and error+save scumming" unless they involve basic battle. Villagers literally run towards their attackers and AWAY FROM ME.

Is there any way to deal with this BS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

How did you fail to get a child from having the Chief suicide attack you? I'm not even sure which mission that would be. Owain's, maybe?

Every character that you can recruit can be recruited by Chrom (pretty sure...can't think of any exceptions off-hand). You see a named character, have Chrom stand next to them and see if you can talk to them. If you can, then do so and they'll get recruited.

The villagers in that one mission are dumb, but you can save them with a Rescue staff or just by carefully planning the battle (Pegasus knights make the map a doddle). I think that's the only mission with suicidal villagers though - the rest of the time they will stand there and await their fate, allowing you to screen them with your troops or use Rescue staffs to drag them out of danger.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Well awakening was sitting in my pile for a while before I started playing it and I love it.

But the character recruitment is BULL****! I Spend HOURS grinding to ensure a character ends up with another one and I feel cheated when the computer denies me the child as a character! Because the stupid goddamn chief suicide attacks me! Worst part I didn't even know that was a character recruitment mission so I saved over my file!

So many of the missions feel like rubbish "Trial and error+save scumming" unless they involve basic battle. Villagers literally run towards their attackers and AWAY FROM ME.

Is there any way to deal with this BS?
    Is it a named character and not on the enemy's team? Talk to it with Chrom. Literally every character recruitment in this game is like this, with the exception of something like two or three(depending on your choices in a map) that start out as enemies. Also, most of the children can be recruited within one or two turns.

As for saving over your file, assuming you didn't screw over your child's inherited skills, you can hit exit on the pre-battle menu. Or do you mean you saved after the child already died?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

I recommend keeping more than one save file, if possible.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Im not doing this competitively. Just for the plot

And the thing that screwed me over was the stupid mirage stage. I was close to the final village and then the chief commits suicide denying me access.

At first I thought it was just over some item.
    A little condescending

10. - Top - End - #250
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Since the news hasn't been broken in here yet...

Robin (Male and Female versions) and Lucina are both playable in the next Super Smash Bros! http://www.smashbros.com/us/#CharacterList
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Since the news hasn't been broken in here yet...

Robin (Male and Female versions) and Lucina are both playable in the next Super Smash Bros! http://www.smashbros.com/us/#CharacterList
    Saw it an hour ago and I am so ridiculously hype. One little thing that annoyed me was Robin saying his tomes had limited uses...so he uses his levin sword...Which has fewer uses than most tomes.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Awesome, I thought that Lucina had a good shot of showing up but never expected Robin to get in! Male and female versions too...

I keep getting more and more hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Im not doing this competitively. Just for the plot

And the thing that screwed me over was the stupid mirage stage. I was close to the final village and then the chief commits suicide denying me access.

At first I thought it was just over some item.
    If you talked to Laurent in the first village with Chrom or Miriel, he should have come along, regardless of whether you find the item. Additionally, the boss on this map doesn't move. The only way for him to commit suicide is if you move someone up to him, where he will attack.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Halfling in the Playground

Saw it an hour ago and I am so ridiculously hype. One little thing that annoyed me was Robin saying his tomes had limited uses...so he uses his levin sword...Which has fewer uses than most tomes.
    Actually, it's a Levine Sword, which is like the levin sword but unbreakable.

I just made that up, but I'm sticking to it.
    FC: 4554-0075-4613

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Robin also uses a Bronze Sword in many of the screenshots, so it's possible that the character has a weapon switch mechanic in general, changing out tomes and weapons as they wear out.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

The funny thing about Robin dealing with weapon uses in SSB4 was that in my fire emblem awakening game he had armsthrift and a maxed luck so I never actually dealt with weapon uses in the game.

It feels a little bit like a retcon to me.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Robin also uses a Bronze Sword in many of the screenshots, so it's possible that the character has a weapon switch mechanic in general, changing out tomes and weapons as they wear out.
    I feel like that would make Robin one of the most complicated characters in Smash Bros. Hopefully he's not too hard to play or I won't be able to play him/her

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like that would make Robin one of the most complicated characters in Smash Bros. Hopefully he's not too hard to play or I won't be able to play him/her
    Maybe it's a purely cosmetic change.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

We've gotten clarification on how he works recently. He starts with the Levin Sword, and with use it will wear out and be replaced with the Bronze Sword, but it will also regenerate over time. Nothing definite on what the difference is, besides presumably the bronze sword being weaker. His tomes similarly wear out with use and regenerate with time. Each one is a different special attack - thunder is his neutral special and is chargeable to use the more powerful versions, fire is his side special, wind his up special, and dark magic is his down special. The one unclear thing is whether the tomes wearing out happens individually or as a group.

Anyway though, the Smash Bros announcement has made me start up Awakening again. I had started a second run way back when I finished my first one, but didn't get far before moving to something else, so I basically restarted that run. One thing I want to do this time is definitely get the two children characters I didn't last time, Owain and Brady. I didn't get them because I didn't use Maribelle at all, and chose not pair up Lissa because of her apparent age. I'm set on pairing up Maribelle, but not sure who to go with for Lissa. I'm hesitant with any of the older-seeming men, but the two younger ones, Ricken and Donnel, I already intend to pair with others (Nowi and Miriel respectively). So, anybody have any suggestions on who'd be good? Not mechanically mind you - I'm not power-gaming this - but for the relationship the supports show them as having.

Pairings I've already set in stone are Avatar/Tiki, Sumia/Henry, Gaius/Tharja, Virion/Maribelle, and probably the aforementioned ones for Ricken and Donnel. (And Chrom/Sully, but that doesn't affect Lissa's options for obvious reasons.)
    Last edited by Zevox; 2014-07-18 at 06:16 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

19. - Top - End - #259
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    We've gotten clarification on how he works recently. He starts with the Levin Sword, and with use it will wear out and be replaced with the Bronze Sword, but it will also regenerate over time. Nothing definite on what the difference is, besides presumably the bronze sword being weaker. His tomes similarly wear out with use and regenerate with time. Each one is a different special attack - thunder is his neutral special and is chargeable to use the more powerful versions, fire is his side special, wind his up special, and dark magic is his down special. The one unclear thing is whether the tomes wearing out happens individually or as a group.

Anyway though, the Smash Bros announcement has made me start up Awakening again. I had started a second run way back when I finished my first one, but didn't get far before moving to something else, so I basically restarted that run. One thing I want to do this time is definitely get the two children characters I didn't last time, Owain and Brady. I didn't get them because I didn't use Maribelle at all, and chose not pair up Lissa because of her apparent age. I'm set on pairing up Maribelle, but not sure who to go with for Lissa. I'm hesitant with any of the older-seeming men, but the two younger ones, Ricken and Donnel, I already intend to pair with others (Nowi and Miriel respectively). So, anybody have any suggestions on who'd be good? Not mechanically mind you - I'm not power-gaming this - but for the relationship the supports show them as having.

Pairings I've already set in stone are Avatar/Tiki, Sumia/Henry, Gaius/Tharja, Virion/Maribelle, and probably the aforementioned ones for Ricken and Donnel. (And Chrom/Sully, but that doesn't affect Lissa's options for obvious reasons.)
    Well, Henry and Gaius can be childish enough that the age difference is less apparent, but you've got them paired (oddly Sumia/Henry is the one pairing I haven't done for Sumia) already. I think that Vaike is probably the closest in age (and maturity level) to Lissa of the remaining ones. Besides, I think it's funnier than Kellam/Lissa or Stahl/Lissa.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shishnarfne View Post
    Well, Henry and Gaius can be childish enough that the age difference is less apparent, but you've got them paired (oddly Sumia/Henry is the one pairing I haven't done for Sumia) already. I think that Vaike is probably the closest in age (and maturity level) to Lissa of the remaining ones. Besides, I think it's funnier than Kellam/Lissa or Stahl/Lissa.
    Yeah, Gaius I paired because it allows Noire to become a Dark Flier, and she's the only child character who can pull that off and have an actually decent magic growth rate, which I wanted just because I like the class (my first Avatar was a Dark Flier). Sumia/Henry is pretty much a matter of running out of options I liked - I paired her with Chrom the first time, so he's out; my Avatar I want to pair with Tiki for Manakete Morgan; and Gaius is taken as above. That only leaves Frederick, who I don't think I'll use this time around and who I don't particularly feel would be an interesting one to put her with, and Henry, who at least should make for an entertaining pairing. Sumia is just weird in having so few options that way.

Vaike eh? I don't know, he was another one I was leaning towards not using. I'm not a big fan of his personality, and he turned out rather weak for me by the second half of the game last time.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Man this game is taking over my life. I made a new file after spending 50 hours on the first one in the span of a week so I could collect all the characters I had missed and see new dialogue options.

I even bought the DLC with all the banter and such.
    A little condescending

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Yeah, Gaius I paired because it allows Noire to become a Dark Flier, and she's the only child character who can pull that off and have an actually decent magic growth rate, which I wanted just because I like the class (my first Avatar was a Dark Flier). Sumia/Henry is pretty much a matter of running out of options I liked - I paired her with Chrom the first time, so he's out; my Avatar I want to pair with Tiki for Manakete Morgan; and Gaius is taken as above. That only leaves Frederick, who I don't think I'll use this time around and who I don't particularly feel would be an interesting one to put her with, and Henry, who at least should make for an entertaining pairing. Sumia is just weird in having so few options that way.

Vaike eh? I don't know, he was another one I was leaning towards not using. I'm not a big fan of his personality, and he turned out rather weak for me by the second half of the game last time.
    Henry is certainly an interesting one - he's one of my favorite characters and his interactions with Lissa are pretty good, although my favorite with him is still Nowi for the sheer ADD-ness they share.

My Vaike also always turns up weak, he doesn't transition to tier 2 very well for me. He's probably my second most consistently weak character after Frederick.

Sumia's limited dating pool really bugs me, I guess it's to encourage marrying her to Chrom (although Chrom's other LIs aren't similarly afflicted). It always annoys me because she's a character that I have to get married off since her daughter is Cynthia, who is consistently one of my top performers and often ranks even above Lucina - Morgan is the only one to reliably compete. Plus, Cynthia is probably my favorite overall character in the game.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

I've gotten a bit burnt out on Awakening grinding DLC to get Limit Breaker on all my units. I'm still in a FE mood, though, so I've started playing a fan translation of FE12. I'm just in the prologue so far, but it's helping my fix.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

After not having played the game for what feels like a year, I decided to play Awakening on Lunatic difficulty... Funny how Fred goes from "dude you don't wanna use" to "the only guy that can kill anything". It feels like I'll pretty much have to rely entirely on him until I get to chapter five, where at least I'll be able to start grinding a little.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    After not having played the game for what feels like a year, I decided to play Awakening on Lunatic difficulty... Funny how Fred goes from "dude you don't wanna use" to "the only guy that can kill anything". It feels like I'll pretty much have to rely entirely on him until I get to chapter five, where at least I'll be able to start grinding a little.
    There's a reason lunatic and lunatic + are called Frederick emblem for the first few chapters

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Playing some of the retro FE games makes me really miss the growth rates of Awakening.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Playing some of the retro FE games makes me really miss the growth rates of Awakening.
    I know right? Like just HP Roy. Really? You wanna kill a dragon like that?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

I know right? Like just HP Roy. Really? You wanna kill a dragon like that?
    Leveling Roy Still gives me nightmares...Must...Give...Him...ALL...The...Stat. ..Boosters.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    So, actually, if you rely entirely on Freddy in lunatic or lunatic+ you can get pretty screwed because he still sucks. You also can't really grind without DLC (if you have DLC then yeah, whatever, get to 5 and then level the people you care about). But if you're doing it without DLC, you basically need to use the river movement in the first map to feed all the kills to MU so that he/she gets strong and then MU can actually carry you through really well and ends up being quite powerful.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    So, actually, if you rely entirely on Freddy in lunatic or lunatic+ you can get pretty screwed because he still sucks. You also can't really grind without DLC (if you have DLC then yeah, whatever, get to 5 and then level the people you care about). But if you're doing it without DLC, you basically need to use the river movement in the first map to feed all the kills to MU so that he/she gets strong and then MU can actually carry you through really well and ends up being quite powerful.
    Pretty much this.

Once MU hits level 15 you can use him to baby a team of gods without DLC.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show