New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XIV: Clerical Omission.

Thunt may want to spell check Fograth's final spoken panel before he uploads the finished page.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

He was told about the typo but can't fix it until he gets back. So we'll have to live with it for now.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Klik's sound effects were gray, Junior's are green, and this "klik" is purple. Seems to be a new character.

MinMax & Complains both have purple IMEs, too--don't know if that tells us something about this klik's origin, or if it's a coincidence.

In other news: so Kore seems to literally have the people he's murdered composing his head. I wonder if this is the key to understanding how he's still a paladin. Is he still in control of/responsible for his actions if other people make up his brain?

Also, boy does he ever have a hairy wolfman face, even for a dwarf. Look at those cheekbones.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a click made of blood. Yuk yuk.

But the revelation was worth the wait, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Well that's ... unexpected.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we cannot say that Kore's face, wasn't worth the wait.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

I seriously did not notice Kore's face until I read the forums. Then I went back and almost threw up.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Even the smoke coming out of the glowing crevice in Kore's head is making screaming faces.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Odds that every one of those faces has a unique (and superfluous) backstory? Has anybody been able to recognize any of Kore's known victims?

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well i suppose now we know why he wears that helmate, if we assume that scar was previously a battle wound of some sort, or that he has no control over those faces covering his own face, then the whole seeing with one eye only thing is indeed not a choice. he just has to make due with impared vision because not doing so would reveal his secret or just horrify people even more.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #820
    Colossus in the Playground

I wonder if he is doing something like, "taking the evil onto himself" Like, he thinks if he takes the very soul of all the evil he destroys, he can keep it from being released upon the world or some such thing. And its possible its slowly overwhelming him. I wonder if his armor has changed over the years, become more and more encompassing as his body has slowly transformed, gradually being unable to keep the souls locked away. At some point I expect to face Kore when there is nothing left of him but his will. He is nothing but a mobile humanoid shaped collection of damned souls.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #821

I think something of this sort may be involved. Somehow, he starts absorbing souls (the curse?). One of the souls is very powerful, very evil and takes over him.

Would a mind-controlled paladin lose his powers?

This is probably something more subtle, like slightly altering the way of thoughts in such a way that they may seem compatible with a paladin's duty even though they go directly against them.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #822

Goblins has been horrifying before, however this is the very first time where I fell visually upset. I think it is because of the fact that this it is more "realistic?" than the other acts of extreme brutality, and maybe its just the implications, but that face....

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

if that's the case cowardly, then i beleive thunt has done exactly what he intended to do.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #824
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Ah, these are the visuals that keep me coming back to Goblins. Even his lips have small, screaming mouths.

Perhaps the nature of Kore's curse prevents him from losing his powers, but the price is that he absorbs the souls of his victims. He, however, views it as a blessing that allows him to annihilate all the evil in the world.

The "cut" may be the wound that Forgath dealt him.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-10-09 at 11:26 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

15. - Top - End - #825

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    if that's the case cowardly, then i beleive thunt has done exactly what he intended to do.
    Your telling me, i almost threw up when I saw that thing, and I study human rights violations, so I have a pretty strong stomach. That was just....ugg. The Funny thing, while I acknowledged Kore was evil, I still enjoyed them a great deal as a character, I always have a weakness for uncompromising destroyers of evil times, and i thought his badassness and fearlessness made him kind of a moral "guilty pleasure" to root for. Obviously I still like GAP and I hope they get away, and what he did to Chief was evil, but the thought of a guy like this walking though the Abyss or the Dark Sun universe kinda made me while not approving of his actions, not really upset by them.

Now......god this guy is a monster. He is just....evil. Like looking at that face I just want to baptize him in holy water until he burns away, like seeing all of those screaming victims (I think that is Chief right above the mustache where his "nose" is) it just hit me, this guy is vile, just the embodiment of hypocritical self rightcousness that is morphed into something so hypocritical and inhumane that it is just....

there are few characters whose hideous moral nature can be seen in their appearance properly without coming off as camp or silly but Kore is worse than Goblinslayer ever could be. I use to see kore as a "lesser" evil than Goblinslayer because at least Kore destroyed evil creatures along with good ones (also I think those mouthes inside his face are the remains of demons) but no, Kore is just a blight upon everything right the world.

Also that scare on his face I don't think was inflicted by Forgoth, Kore didn't have an eye to begin with because of his helmet, I think that is where the souls/his strange paladin powers come from.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No one commented about how a Klik is about to save the day? I would have thought that would be at the top of the agenda, or right after the OMGWTF image of Kore.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Klik's sound effects were gray, Junior's are green, and this "klik" is purple. Seems to be a new character.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree it shouldn't be Klik, but I had a more disconcerting take on it. My first impression was that "klik" here was the sound of Kore's crossbows as he prepared to fire. Forgath is trying to keep Kore from being what kills him, but Kore is trying to shoot him before he hits the ground, to claim his soul. Granted, the sound effect seems to be below Forgath rather than above, but that could possibly be an echo...

Why are we spoilering things, by the way?
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

17. - Top - End - #827

Quote Originally Posted by Holy_Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree it shouldn't be Klik, but I had a more disconcerting take on it. My first impression was that "klik" here was the sound of Kore's crossbows as he prepared to fire. Forgath is trying to keep Kore from being what kills him, but Kore is trying to shoot him before he hits the ground, to claim his soul. Granted, the sound effect seems to be below Forgath rather than above, but that could possibly be an echo...

It's possible, but then the colour would have been different, unless his power of ugliness now manifests even with a different IME.

By the way, I am ashamed to admit that I was expecting Kore to be Forgath from the future.

18. - Top - End - #828

Just a courtesy to the folks who click on the thread before they've seen the new page.

19. - Top - End - #829

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think that is the sound of a crossbow, those make a different noise http://www.goblinscomic.org/01062014/

Spoiler
    Show

Also my roommate said something really odd about Kore's face, when she first saw the picture she was like "Wait, isn't he a giant, if his face is made up of the faces of his victims, why are his victims faces so much smaller? What is the ratio of soul to skin. I actually couldn't find an answer, anybody want to help?

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CowardlyPaladin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Also my roommate said something really odd about Kore's face, when she first saw the picture she was like "Wait, isn't he a giant, if his face is made up of the faces of his victims, why are his victims faces so much smaller? What is the ratio of soul to skin. I actually couldn't find an answer, anybody want to help?

I would assume it's a matter of compressing souls to fit the space and that they probably flow and shift as they writhe in tormented imprisonment. I would think that they also cover the rest of his body in a landscape of warped misery and pain.

I could swear I've seen some metal album art that looked a lot like Kore's face somewhere.

EDIT: It looks like Kore has no ears or nose, perhaps they were subsumed by the hellscape that is his skin?
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2014-10-10 at 04:23 AM.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

21. - Top - End - #831

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I would assume it's a matter of compressing souls to fit the space and that they probably flow and shift as they writhe in tormented imprisonment. I would think that they also cover the rest of his body in a landscape of warped misery and pain.

I could swear I've seen some metal album art that looked a lot like Kore's face somewhere.

EDIT: It looks like Kore has no ears or nose, perhaps they were subsumed by the hellscape that is his skin?
    IF you look at the place where Chief's soul is located, there is a bulge that is kind of his nose. Also what metal album is this?

Edit

Also I just read this on the SHield of Wonder

31. No matter where he is, the 4th oldest dragon in the realm suddenly loses his wings as well as any ability to fly or teleport in any way. The dragon and wielder instantly know the following information: The wings (and any ability to fly/teleport he may have had) will all return if the dragon directly kills the wielder; if the wielder is killed by someone/something other than the dragon, he's not getting his wings, etc back; the dragon doesn't automatically know where the wielder is, but he knows who he is.

I think Complains is in trouble

22. - Top - End - #832

Tiny detail, I was rereading goblins and I noticed that in this picture

http://www.goblinscomic.org/09102005/

The area around Kore's eye can be seen and it isn't full of soul faces

same here

http://www.goblinscomic.org/02122014/

and you can see in the most detail here
    http://www.goblinscomic.org/02042014/

So either this is a detail error, or kore's "true face" can't be seen unless something special happens, like the helmet is taken off (like the helmet might have an illusion spell that can mask it.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Banned

If I had to guess, I'd say that .... the first soul to be caught by Kore was his own, and that he's undead and/or cursed. That he carries some magic item that makes him what he is, is one option.

Hence, btw, the speech impediment. Originally, he was a paladin, and did believe in fighting all evil ever, everywhere he found it. The speech impediment is that tiny part of his original self running the show, while the rest of him tries to scream in absolute horror at what he has become, and what he's made to do.

All just speculation. But I like the idea =)

24. - Top - End - #834

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say that .... the first soul to be caught by Kore was his own, and that he's undead and/or cursed. That he carries some magic item that makes him what he is, is one option.

Hence, btw, the speech impediment. Originally, he was a paladin, and did believe in fighting all evil ever, everywhere he found it. The speech impediment is that tiny part of his original self running the show, while the rest of him tries to scream in absolute horror at what he has become, and what he's made to do.

All just speculation. But I like the idea =)

Isn't the SPeech impediment only because of the recent damage to this throat? Or did he always have that?

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't the SPeech impediment only because of the recent damage to this throat?
    It is. I hate the stupid character restriction on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

26. - Top - End - #836

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    It is. I hate the stupid character restriction on this forum.

Ok, I see now. Also in those two comics you can see the skin around Kore's eye so my theory is that the helmet grants some sort of illusion power that makes his skin look normal from the outside.

27. - Top - End - #837

Just a courtesy to the folks who click on the thread before they've seen the new page.
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

I don't think that is the sound of a crossbow, those make a different noise http://www.goblinscomic.org/01062014/
    To clarify, I meant I thought it was the sound of a crossbow being loaded, and that Kore was about to fire. I don't remember if we've ever had a sound effect like that before, it's just the first thing that popped into my mind.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

To clarify, I meant I thought it was the sound of a crossbow being loaded, and that Kore was about to fire. I don't remember if we've ever had a sound effect like that before, it's just the first thing that popped into my mind.
    Wrong color for a Kore sound effect, though.

29. - Top - End - #839

SwashbucklerGuy

Tiny detail, I was rereading goblins and I noticed that in this picture

http://www.goblinscomic.org/09102005/

The area around Kore's eye can be seen and it isn't full of soul faces

same here

http://www.goblinscomic.org/02122014/

and you can see in the most detail here
    http://www.goblinscomic.org/02042014/

So either this is a detail error, or kore's "true face" can't be seen unless something special happens, like the helmet is taken off (like the helmet might have an illusion spell that can mask it.
    I found this comic:
    http://www.goblinscomic.org/01182011-2/
    I never noticed it before, but you can see a pair of eyes on his nose and above Kore's real eye.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    I found this comic:
    http://www.goblinscomic.org/01182011-2/
    I never noticed it before, but you can see a pair of eyes on his nose and above Kore's real eye.
    Nice.
    ...and obviously, we see them only now.

I doubt that even in the goblin's forum someone noticed them.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2014-10-10 at 03:27 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.