New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Your party's name

My group was officially founded as a privateer company, so it actually does make sense for us to have a name. Our goblin rogue suggested Rohan's Ravens, after my wizard's familiar (Rohan the raven), so we ended up going with that. We have a flag and everything, it's pretty cool.

2. - Top - End - #32

One of our groups was called the Ramblers. Another was called the Dragoons. Another was the Stormbringers. Our last group probably would've been called the Godslayers... but we retired that batch of characters right after the even that would have earned them that name, so it didn't happen (at least not "in game").
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

We always call ourselves "The Intrepid Adventurers" out of character. In character though we don't have a name. I'd hate to imagine what people call us, a Halfling, a drow, and a half-orc all wearing masks and cutting a bloody swath through the biggest drow gang in Skullport. Did I mention we leave all the dead nicely laid out and given funeral rites as well as eyeless and tongueless?
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Every D&D campaign my group has ever played in, we have always called ourselves The Black Company. I've never understood this, as the name is somewhat ominous and we always play generally good characters. WOD our characters identified their group as "The Heat of the Night" yes that decision was based on too much alcohol & the old 80's police show with Carol O'Conner (Archie Bunker) starring in it.

I am DMing our groups next D&D campaign and I am going to decree they don't get a name until they do something awesome/ridiculous enough to earn one.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman3769 View Post
    Every D&D campaign my group has ever played in, we have always called ourselves The Black Company. I've never understood this, as the name is somewhat ominous and we always play generally good characters.
    The Black Company is from Glen Cook's fantasy series of the same name. They're the best mercenary company in the world, with a history that stretches back generations and a badass reputation. I'd hazard a guess that it's more that part of the Company that your group is trying to emulate, since the Company has worked for evil empires ruled by dark sorcerer-demigods at least once (they are mercenaries, after all).
    Last edited by Amaril; 2014-03-19 at 08:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Happy House of Hoes. We are a very mature group. Clearly.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

The group I'm playing in is called the Asylum Avengers. How did we earn this name? Well, the gnome beguiler can't tell the truth to save his life, the roguebuckler/trapsmith can't speak a clear coherent sentence to save his life, the barbarian doesn't want to be a barbarian anymore and is retraining to become a crusader, the wizard may be going power-mad (it's a bit more complicated though), the old cleric had terrible self-esteem issues, and the new cleric is the only sane one around. And we're avenging the old cleric's death, as well as the death of an npc we had taken a shine to.

In the game I'm dming, the party has named themselves the Wyvern's Fangs, because their mascot (and the goblin rogue's mount) is a young wyvern. They sort of adopted him after rescuing him in the first story arc and after the goblin rogue's player demonstrated her untrained +8 to ride checks, I sort of rolled with it.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

In the campaign I'm currently running all of the players ended up making rogue-ish, untrustworthy, conmen-type characters, comprised of a gnome cleric, a dwarf fighter and a dwarf wizard who are all outcasts/opposed to the evil dwarf empire, and a human female rogue who was once part of a mother-daughter two-person traveling con band.

They called themselves the Honest Gentlemen.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The Rude Knaves

It's from a line of dialogue in the beginning of FFtactics, and it's also a medival version of daft punk.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Current party traversing the dangers of my world are referred to as The Merry Band of Pranksters.

Struggle is the Father of all things.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

biggrin Re: Your party's name

Order of the Fat Lute...

Saying out loud could be something like "Order of the Phat Loot".

I know, so funny.
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My players sadly never named their group, this at first wasn't a problem but after a few adventures they climbed the social hierarchy. Whenever I feel the need to have an NPC formally introduce them I tend to default to "The Lightbringer and his Friends" or some other variant. Lightbringer being the title of the Cleric, which he received after sealing a portal to the Far Realm, who often gets invited to banquets, war meetings and discoveries of cult artifacts.

Lately though one of player, Tom has started calling the rest of the group his Solo-Elite-Minions whenever he does the recap and its starting to catch on, whether it finds its way into the game proper or remains an OOC joke remains to be seen.
    Last edited by DrBurr; 2014-03-31 at 05:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Norin View Post
    Order of the Fat Lute...

Saying out loud could be something like "Order of the Phat Loot".

I know, so funny.
    That's awful. In the best way possible.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

14. - Top - End - #44

"Tier sucks ****!" Is the name the evil epic monster adventuring party I am in took after kidnapping a member of the paladin council of Tier to feed to a mindflayer who knew the location to a plainer portal we needed to find
    Last edited by Hobbes1266; 2014-04-01 at 04:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My Rogue Trader group is the Crew of the Lorem Ipsum. (our GM wanted us to pick a name for our ship, but we wrote in 'place holder' and forgot to find a name for the ship. When he insisted we pick something. Guess what Lorem Ipsum translates from latin into english as? GM is not a happy camper about that...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Thugs 4 Less (stolen, cookie to the first who picks it)
    Is...is it from Ratchet and Clank? Do I get a cookie?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

d20 Re: Your party's name

I'm DM'ing a 4E game - they are all big Marvel comics fans, and have settled on the name 'Adventurers Assemble!'

Many years ago, during D&D 2E era, I placed myself as leader of the party, naming us 'Phils Fab 5'. None of the characters were called Phil. This was something we though was hilarious at the time.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Member of the Wyvern Fangs here! Oh well, Coffee beat me to mention us, anyway in my last Anima Beyond Fantasy game we were the Swift Pirates under the captain Edward Swift! We spent most of the campaign fleeing from the Captain's Brother in-law, a vampiric Pirate lord.... it was as ridiculous and awesome as it sounds.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Our party is the Dysfunctional Diversity Gang, since we have an orc Aegis, one elf Cleric, a half-elf Sorcerer, a human Rogue, a grippli (Frog-person for those who don't know) Investigator, a duergar (me) Fighter, a halfling Wizard, and a ratfolk (although the DM insists on calling ratfolk Nezume) Soulknife. Our racial tensions are always running high, since orcs hate elves (and vice-versa), the half-elf has a phobia of rats, and duergar hate just about everyone except themselves and orcs (since I couldn't find anything that says duergar are enemies of orcs). We used to have a tengu Inquisitor but he was killed during a prison riot by a strength 20 guard toting a greataxe and a penchant for rolling 20s. We also used to have a drow Ranger, but when we fought some NPC drow, the Ranger sided against us, and we killed him very dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Sooooo....DM really stands for Deviant Masochist?
    Spoiler: I am a...
    Show

LG Half-Orc Paladin 1/Cleric 1
    Strength 16
    Dexterity 16
    Constitution 16
    Intelligence 14
    Wisdom 15
    Charisma 10

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by LoP View Post
    Behold, Meth in a Mine... The Greatest Subterranean Controlled Substance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    And what is it about 3rd level that apparently makes monster designers think "Okay, the PCs have been alive long enough?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    I'd play Powerball.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

We had a long discussion about names not only for our adventuring company but also for our gaming group. However, we had so many great suggestions (and lousy ones) that we never did come to consensus.

Three campaigns ago we had a heroic scene wherein we crossed a deep chasm to do battle via a magic feather tree token. Once it had been dropped in and the oak tree took root, members of the party grabbed branches as they grew by and were pulled aloft. They then swung across onto a low wall on the other side of the dry moat and engaged the enemy. This was such a cinematic moment that it had to be memorialized. We took to referring to our company as "We Arrive by Oak."

In our current campaign the semi-facetious suggestion has been made that we call ourselves "We Are not Werewolves," since lycanthropic rumors started cropping up around town just about the same time as we became active there.

20. - Top - End - #50

"The Celadians", Celadia being a country in the setting. This was not "my" party as such, but the party in the campaign I DM'd for several years, and I'm more or less the one to blame for their name.

At first, they didn't really have any name, though I seem to recall them being known as "Rubin's company" (or "squad" or somesuch) from time to time--Rubin being their NPC superior in the Celadian army. Once they left the army and the country (which had kind of fallen apart, and no it wasn't their fault), some NPCs (i.e. me) started calling them the Celadians. This was somewhat inaccurate, since it's not entirely clear that any of them were actually Celadian (two definitely weren't, and two never specified whether their beloved peasant villages were in Celadia or not). But that's where three of them had come from, from the perspective of the NPCs, so...

The players seemed to like the name, or at least they liked having a name (and the recognition that it implied), so it stuck.

Also it gave me something to call the campaign on Epic Words.
    Last edited by Peregrine; 2014-04-05 at 09:11 AM.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

21. - Top - End - #51

SwashbucklerGuy

My friend is running the Age of Worms campaign for our group of (at the time) three people, two of which are playing two characters. My pair consists of a down to earth, no nonsense grippli gunslinger who basically keeps the group focused (as Chaotic Neutral no less), and a mute arena fighter/prefessional dancer human monk with phoenix ancestry. Both characters are heavy drinkers, as they both have mechanics that rely on imbibing alcohol.

My monk, being an arena fighter was ecstatic at the idea of participating in the gladiatorial event, but couldn't apply alone, being mute and all, so my gunslinger went with to register. When asked for a team name, the gunslinger paused for a moment before blurting out "The Diamond Lake Saints" based off the town we started the campaign in. Luckily, no one objected, so I feel sort of proud of it.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I recently had the honor of naming a mostly lawful evil group. We call ourselves the Sovereign's Vanguard. Which I was rather proud I came up with because I at least think it sounds really cool.
    Spoiler
    Show

Left-Eye by NamonakiRei
    Stick swordsman of the Kyrie fanclub!
    My bro's homebrew class.

How to: Glibness

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

We call ourselves "The Emissarys of Lord Cedric of the Tusk"

In game Tusk is an actual region.

Lord Cedric of Tusk happens to be our drow gunslinger's rhino mount.

24. - Top - End - #54

I think only one of my parties received a proper title. Our group worked for Ledo Jans, the crown prince of the human realm so we called ourselves "Ledo's Traveling Circus."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Against the will of the other characters (the players were fine with it), my warrior-bard and roommate's summoner turned our party into a band. While the list is by no means exhaustive, these are some of the names we churned through before those characters exited:
    • Ritual Defect and the Stretch
    • Kung Pow Wombat
    • Bandits Dragging Dwarves
    • Strom Theramin
    • Absorb the Souls
    • Rendezvous Titillation
    • Lions of Chaos
    • Beer Perfectionists
    • Trojan Raptor
    • Tenacious Diego
    • Aggressive Emancipation
    • Five Men Come
    • Dead Rebels
    • Eye of the *******
    • Saviours of the World, etc.
    • Druids Ate My Baby
    • Stories of the Dead Rising
    • Mechanical Man Things
    • Asses of Guitar
    • Multiculty
    • Sex Mullet
    • Hipsters of Everything
    • The Bat Ate It
    • Sexapod Monkey
    • Ninja Elephant
    • Bat Jihad
    • (We're Actually Just Screaming Into a Mike)
    • Diego and the Rathers
    • Rico and the Rather Nots
    • Spontaneous Machine Building
    • Slammin' Famine
    • Flight of the Whorebalers
    • Foot and Other Foot
    • Undrek, Bringer of Grog
    • Footwork Like a No-Legged Man
    • Raining Black

We would change names 2-3 times a session, never reusing a name, and for some reason no-one we met had ever heard of us.
    Last edited by Sasaisen; 2014-04-09 at 07:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

In one game, we were the Fellowship of Ammo. Ammo was a cat we found in a Dwarf Fortress inspired dungeon that we tried to weaponize. Too bad the game ended that session because the DM could not make time.

27. - Top - End - #57

PaladinGuy

As the designer of our current campaign setting, and the player who most frequently DMs our Pathfinder games I have the right to determine party names. Thanks to my love of rats, so far every name has involved rats in some way, including:

>Dungeon Rats (first party under this name)

>The Ratriders

>Ratsniffers

>The Rat Pack

>Rat Colony

>Ratlings and Halflings (current party)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

the Trenchcoat Brigade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Remember kids: a good thief can steal everything that isn't nailed down, on fire, part of the building, or trying to kill them. Skilled adventurers have been known to leave behind far less that that.
    LGBTitP
    Universal Decay by Deamoneye Publishing
    Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7.5th edition by Lawful Nice

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Meh, why not.

My group has taken to calling themselves the Order of the Murder-Hobo, though completely out of character, so far at least.

Three guesses why...
    Campaign Logs:
    Three Coins, Two Birds and a Gilded Sword: COMPLETE
    The Great Maw: NEARLY COMPLETE
    Seven Stones and a Pale Shadow: JUST BEGINNING

Follow us on Instagram for artwork and updates:
    The Norbayne Campaign

Exilian: A friendly place for gamers and repository of interesting content: A link to Exilian. Sign up and say hi!

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    You know what really brings colour to the player parties? Names. Many parties go unnamed, and it's boring - what do they call themselves, "Jessica and friends"? Lame! Even being named after a stick on the ground is better then nothing.
    I know I'm not alone in this sentiment, so please - share it.
    The players in my current Mutants and Masterminds group call themselves McCrow and Friends. It's a two man party and the guy playing McCrow got to name the team in exchange for a reduced percentage of any cash they retrieve. In character the two are constantly belittling each other and it just makes sense for the overly-macho glory hog to attempt to take credit for everything they do while reducing his co-founder to the role of 'and Friends'.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals