New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alter Self

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Alter Self

Note that most folks haven't touched on a unique use for alter self.

As you gain the senses and form you choose, this is a great way to overcome blindness or missing limbs. Extended (bumped to 3rd) means a 5th level Wizard can pull off letting the armless fighter have arms for almost 2 hours.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

It's pretty situational seeing as there's no way to lose limbs in the first place.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    [...] a 5th level Wizard can pull off letting the armless fighter have arms for almost 2 hours.
    Alter Self is a personal spell, so it's not so straightforward to put it on the fighter. Which is a shame, it would be a much appreciated boost for the average melee.
    Last edited by hymer; 2014-04-10 at 10:49 AM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Hymer,
    I'll have to recheck how we did it. There is a way to get personal spells on another person, but I can't remember the trick right now.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Hymer,
    I'll have to recheck how we did it. There is a way to get personal spells on another person, but I can't remember the trick right now.
    Well, scrolls work, as do wands, but those require UMD for anyone who doesn't have the spell(s) on their spell list (like most martial types). A StP erudite could do it more easily, using the Soul Crystal power -- but then again, what can't they do?

The spellguard of Silverymoon PrC could do it, given that Alter Self boosts AC. Then you could toss in Ocular Spell and Chain Spell and use it on the entire party. Or combine it with war weaver for the same basic effect.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-04-10 at 11:12 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Devil

To mke it definately viable for spellguard, magic of the land, but noone who is going for spellguard doesn't take that (sorry for the double negative brains not working) tale that anyway if they know what they're doing.

It would be Incantatrix wasting their abilties on heightened fireballs.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty much movement modes and natural armor. There are also some tricks that are a bit questionable, but you might sometimes get away with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Even better on sorcerers, since they need the most flexible spells they can get, due to the limited nature of their spellcasting.
    Movement and armor is actually pretty narrow and limiting, even when you can get 937 versions of them. If you aren't allowed the cheesy tricks then battlefield control is actually much more general purpose for combat than most anything else.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-04-10 at 11:45 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Spell Theft + Spellblades can transfer spells to anyone without requiring Silvery Moon.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Pretty much movement modes and natural armor. There are also some tricks that are a bit questionable, but you might sometimes get away with them.

Movement and armor is actually pretty narrow and limiting, even when you can get 937 versions of them. If you aren't allowed the cheesy tricks then battlefield control is actually much more general purpose for combat than most anything else.
    Hmm. Spend one spell on a single movement mode, or spend one spell on all the non-teleportation movement modes that lasts 10x as long, for a lower level spell slot, along with providing you with disguises, skill boosts, feats, natural armor, and possible access to special abilities via Assume Supernatural Ability (dependent on your type)? That definitely makes Alter Self worthwhile for sorcerers, in my book.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Any blindsight forms for humans with alter self?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Nitpick: Swift Fly is level 2. If you mean long duration flight, the point stands though.
    Nitpick to your nitpick: Swift Fly is SPC/splat; Alter Self is core.
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonuts View Post
    Any blindsight forms for humans with alter self?
    Blindsight is explicitly not picked up.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    He is correct in that the human feat at first level isn't actually ever called out as a Bonus Feat, and so cannot be selected, but I have no idea where the whole advances as a character comes in at all.
    Not sure there's a meaningful difference between bonus and extra, though, which the argument appears to depend on; neither is ever given any formal definition that works in this context (since a bonus feat is certainly not "a positive modifier to a die roll feat", whatever else it may be), so the standard English meanings, which are synonymous for most if not all purposes, must be used instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Not sure there's a meaningful difference between bonus and extra, though, which the argument appears to depend on; neither is ever given any formal definition that works in this context (since a bonus feat is certainly not "a positive modifier to a die roll feat", whatever else it may be), so the standard English meanings, which are synonymous for most if not all purposes, must be used instead.
    Merely out of curiosity, do you read Alter Self to grant an extra Skill Point if used to turn into a Human? 4th Level Gnome Sorcerers (for instance) could find that mighty handy to weasel into some PrCs, if you only check eligibility on entrance.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Merely out of curiosity, do you read Alter Self to grant an extra Skill Point if used to turn into a Human? 4th Level Gnome Sorcerers (for instance) could find that mighty handy to weasel into some PrCs, if you only check eligibility on entrance.
    RAW? Yeah, I think so. In any sort of actual game? Certainly not. Nor the bonus/extra/plus/additional/other-synonym feat, for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

16. - Top - End - #46

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    RAW? Yeah, I think so. In any sort of actual game? Certainly not. Nor the bonus/extra/plus/additional/other-synonym feat, for that matter.
    Given what I see some folks discuss on the various 3.X fora regarding things allowed in their games, such as Curmudgeon's reading of Enlarge Person, I'm not sure I'd ever entirely rule out such a ruling in an actual game.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Given what I see some folks discuss on the various 3.X fora regarding things allowed in their games, such as Curmudgeon's reading of Enlarge Person, I'm not sure I'd ever entirely rule out such a ruling in an actual game.
    I'm kinda curious, do you have a link by any chance?

Kinda on topic, is there any good form that would actually be useful at level 8 (Suel Arcanamach build)?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Hmm. Spend one spell on a single movement mode, or spend one spell on all the non-teleportation movement modes that lasts 10x as long, for a lower level spell slot, along with providing you with disguises, skill boosts, feats, natural armor, and possible access to special abilities via Assume Supernatural Ability (dependent on your type)? That definitely makes Alter Self worthwhile for sorcerers, in my book.
    I wouldn't spend a spell on a movement mode. At least not at first. By level 8 I might blow a level 2 spell on one. But I'd still strongly prefer spamming swift fly with my many low level slots rather than losing my turn. That's the only one you really need 98% of the time. For the other 2%, you pop a scroll. They're so rare it might only be one for the whole campaign.

All those put together are still pretty narrow and uncommon utility uses. Except feats, which won't be allowed anyway. The natural armor is worth less than the combat turn you use, so it's limited only to dungeons. That's pretty bad when you're not a wizard who can swap out your 10 min/levels for hour/levels as needed. I carry utility scrolls for 25 gp a pop, including disguise self. And yet I need the disguise self about every 3 campaigns. These things are so so uncommon. In terms of versatility you get 40 pennies when another spell like web might give you 5 dollar bills.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-04-11 at 10:41 AM.
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System

19. - Top - End - #49

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I'm kinda curious, do you have a link by any chance?
    Off-topic, but requested by Dusk Eclipse:

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
    If you do the math, the effect of +2 to STR and an 8x multiplication of gear weight has the same effect as if they didn't change size but their load tripled. Enlarge Person is good for three uses:
    Monks and other characters who carry next to nothing, so it's still a Light load.
    Armored characters who go from Medium to Heavy encumbrance, which imposes no additional penalties. (My guess: that's really the only case the spell was designed for.)
    Enemies, to make them encumbered.

If you pay attention to encumbrance, Enlarge Person is only a halfway decent buff spell. But that third use as an offensive spell makes it more versatile than most people think. Hit a lightly-loaded enemy with that spell, indoors, and you may take them out of most of the combat. Most of the time that'll put them into medium encumbrance, slowing them down (to about 69% of normal speed). But being taller than ceiling height will mean squeezing rules apply: double movement cost penalties, with a net reduction to about 34% of their normal speed. They'll have another -4 to attack and AC, on top of the -1 from size increase. And, with double movement cost penalties, they can't take 5' steps.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

HalflingPirate

I wouldn't spend a spell on a movement mode. At least not at first. By level 8 I might blow a level 2 spell on one. But I'd still strongly prefer spamming swift fly with my many low level slots rather than losing my turn. That's the only one you really need 98% of the time. For the other 2%, you pop a scroll. They're so rare it might only be one for the whole campaign.
    Sometimes when you are overcoming an obstacle, rather than just avoiding melee, you need to fly for longer than 1 round.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

So it's a utility out of combat use. Which will probably happen once every 2 campaigns. Maybe never if you can't take the party with you. That's why I bring scrolls of spider climb.

That aside, it's better to be useful 98% of the time and fail 2% of the time than the other way around.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-04-11 at 10:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Sometimes when you are overcoming an obstacle, rather than just avoiding melee, you need to fly for longer than 1 round.
    Or you've used Divination or other scouting techniques to know that flying for the entirety of the next few Rounds will make combat much more viable for your team.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

THe advantage of Alter Self as a "movement mode" spell over Swift Fly is that you can do things like Alter Self into an Aquatic Elf or a Merfolk and get water-breathing, too. And it also gives you utility and combat abilities, like stat bonuses and NAC from becoming such things as troglodytes.

Swift Fly is great if all you want is that one movement mode, sure. Alter Self is a larger but less specialized tool box.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wouldn't spend a spell on a movement mode. At least not at first. By level 8 I might blow a level 2 spell on one. But I'd still strongly prefer spamming swift fly with my many low level slots rather than losing my turn.
    Alter Self lasts 10 min/level. Lesser rods of Extend are cheap. Why would you cast it in combat?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Ambush. You don't need to in dungeons. You do in wilderness. So half the time you're stuck. Also, dungeons have ceilings. By level 12 you might be able to extend it enough, but by then you have overland flight. For the one time in the entire campaign you need something unusual, you pop your 150 gp scroll of alter self or some such.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-04-11 at 11:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

HalflingPirate

Let me fix that for you. I'd still strongly prefer having a long duration buff I can cast outside of combat rather than losing my swift action every turn.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ambush. You don't need to in dungeons. You do in wilderness. So half the time you're stuck.
    Half the time you're not being ambushed in the wilderness. Plus, this is why your familiar is scouting ahead. Or your party's scout.
    Also, dungeons have ceilings. By level 12 you might be able to extend it enough, but by then you have overland flight.
    First, you're really stuck on flight. Personally, I prefer speed, so if I'm humanoid I go with the Varag. Has the benefit of stacking with expeditious retreat for 90'. Second, overland flight is a pathetic 40' movement rate. I can get a 120' fly speed with alter self.
    For the one time in the entire campaign you need something unusual, you pop your 150 gp scroll of alter self or some such.
    Or, for the rest of the campaign, when you want a universally useful buff on yourself, you just cast alter self.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Ambush. You don't need to in dungeons. You do in wilderness. So half the time you're stuck. Also, dungeons have ceilings. By level 12 you might be able to extend it enough, but by then you have overland flight. For the one time in the entire campaign you need something unusual, you pop your 150 gp scroll of alter self or some such.
    Hmm... I can walk into an ambush or I can fly ahead looking for an ambush. In a wilderness game I'll probably be able to move MUCH QUICKER by flying ahead of the party looking for that ambush rather than walking with the party and getting hit.

Toss in that I can change into something that may stand out less than the wizard walking with the party and I may be able to turn an ambush into a diplomatic encounter!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Colossus in the Playground

Since Familiars have been brought up, recall that you can share Alter Self with your familiar, for hilarious effects.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

If you manage to get a small Elemental as familiar, Thoqqua is a valid target. Hello, easy tunneling.