New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

I don't know that anyone would agree on exactly what an "old style" of playing would precisely mean. Also not sure people would have fun forcing themselves to play a certain way. I still recommend just looking for games that play in different ways, since not all games even fit into standard werewolf at all or barely at all. Also an idea, running games yourselves that promote certain playstyles.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Part of the reason I currently prefer Avalon to Werewolf is that players are not eliminated.

A fame of werewolf can easily boil down to this: "Oh, people don't trust you? Guess what, your fun is over. Bye bye."

Whereas in Avalon, you arent eliminated from the game due to a lack of trust among the loyalist, or because you are a dangerous target for the minions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

DBZ, is there a site where you do regularly play? I would be interested in looking at some games there and seeing the difference.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

This is all just part of Ducks scheme to get me to run Cat Fight again, isn't it?

On a more serious note, I play WW for the RP first, shenanigans second. If I can't find a foil for the former, then I start looking for the later. RP in WW has gotten rare, I think the last Fears game was the last one to really focus on it, or at least it was the last one to really grab me with the narrative. It's a shame, but it's not the only way to play. There's room for both styles in a game, and all the shades of grey in between, but it becomes an issue when one style dominates the other. I miss being able to just RP a character and not really give a crap about the tactics.

Another side effect of lack of RP is the adverse affect it has on some very narrative narrators. Fears relied on character development to feed the narrations, as did WoD and Advent Children to an extent, and Vampire. The urge to run these narrative games dissipates in me when I think of how little my story will probably be participated in. I might as well run Cat Fight again, comedy games are easy to write for, and less effort for the same result. It's a selfish way to be, and I freely admit it, but I wouldn't be surprised if other narrators had reservations about putting in the effort to run story-driven WW's because the player base as a whole might not participate in the story.

Thing is, I'm guilty of it as a player too. My time is limited, and if I don't find an RP foil early I stop trying. I should make more of an effort if I'm going to moan about it, and so I will.

Jeez, serious Banjo is serious.

*trips over invisible rock*

*rolls end over end into nearby stream*

There, that's better.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2015-05-14 at 01:39 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I think you guys are making too big a deal of the lack of roleplaying. So far as I've seen, if you actually SAY in your opening post you expect people to RP, they will. I mean, you might get people who are more into it than others, but even the least talkative people in Core Component gave me something to work with. And some of the others I suspect are holding out on me and have an entire novel of backstory written.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2015-05-14 at 02:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Well, I think you guys are making too big a deal of the lack of roleplaying. So far as I've seen, if you actually SAY in your opening post you expect people to RP, they will.
    I've hosted 3 RAF games so far. In three of them, I included in the first post that it'd be really nice if people RP'd, pretty please. In exactly none have people RP'd.

Yes, they choose theme-friendly names and post while the thread is active. No, they don't RP (well, some do when sending in their guesses), leaving lil' ol' me to wing it from the guesses.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    This is all just part of Ducks scheme to get me to run Cat Fight again, isn't it?

On a more serious note, I play WW for the RP first, shenanigans second. If I can't find a foil for the former, then I start looking for the later. RP in WW has gotten rare, I think the last Fears game was the last one to really focus on it, or at least it was the last one to really grab me with the narrative. It's a shame, but it's not the only way to play. There's room for both styles in a game, and all the shades of grey in between, but it becomes an issue when one style dominates the other. I miss being able to just RP a character and not really give a crap about the tactics.

Another side effect of lack of RP is the adverse affect it has on some very narrative narrators. Fears relied on character development to feed the narrations, as did WoD and Advent Children to an extent, and Vampire. The urge to run these narrative games dissipates in me when I think of how little my story will probably be participated in. I might as well run Cat Fight again, comedy games are easy to write for, and less effort for the same result. It's a selfish way to be, and I freely admit it, but I wouldn't be surprised if other narrators had reservations about putting in the effort to run story-driven WW's because the player base as a whole might not participate in the story.

Thing is, I'm guilty of it as a player too. My time is limited, and if I don't find an RP foil early I stop trying. I should make more of an effort if I'm going to moan about it, and so I will.

Jeez, serious Banjo is serious.

*trips over invisible rock*

*rolls end over end into nearby stream*

There, that's better.
    1) Maybe. I didn't think of that, but maybe.
    2) So where did this whole 'gambler' role come from?

@FE:
    After one attempt at CoA with no RP, Lex has gotten some people to RP in the current one, so there is a hope for roleplay.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Part of the reason I currently prefer Avalon to Werewolf is that players are not eliminated.

A fame of werewolf can easily boil down to this: "Oh, people don't trust you? Guess what, your fun is over. Bye bye."

Whereas in Avalon, you arent eliminated from the game due to a lack of trust among the loyalist, or because you are a dangerous target for the minions.
    I much, much prefer Resistance to Avalon. The extra roles add nothing interesting to the game, and simply work to detract from the actual effort of finding the spies, leading to situations where no matter how well you might have played as an ordinary rebel, figuring out the game and convincing people to choose the right teams, a spy can guess at Merlin and win anyway.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

RAF and such games are a lot harder to get people to RP in than "regular" werewolf games.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I much, much prefer Resistance to Avalon. The extra roles add nothing interesting to the game, and simply work to detract from the actual effort of finding the spies, leading to situations where no matter how well you might have played as an ordinary rebel, figuring out the game and convincing people to choose the right teams, a spy can guess at Merlin and win anyway.
    I have only played Avalon, so what are the win conditions for Resistance? I was told they were functionally the same.
    RAF and such games are a lot harder to get people to RP in than "regular" werewolf games.
    Could you please clarify your acronym? I can only read it as "Royal Air Force."
    Last edited by Logic; 2015-05-14 at 12:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

I have only played Avalon, so what are the win conditions for Resistance? I was told they were functionally the same.
    Base resistance doesn't have the power roles Avalon does. There's no major Merlin dynamic, and there isn't all the various roles that in turn interact with Merlin. It's just one team vs. another without the flowery extras.

Second Edition Resistance adds plot cards, which function as a kind of event that can be used for further information or obfuscation. Plot cards give the game variety, but they are quite swingy, and can if not break, bend the game to randomly favor one team or another. One's impression of them rests typically on how much luck you like in your game, and whether a random draw derailing everything is tolerable. There is also a version of Res that only has Merlin and Mordred, and simply forgoes the more elaborate roles.

Base Resistance has better theme integration, as the mechanics of the game don't really sensibly map to Avalon as a narrative, but Avalon is more colorful and uses a distinct known myth makes it more approachable for some people.

Resistance versus Werewolf depends on a few factors. Resistance avoids the day 1 "tax" some people despise, though in WW's defense, day 1 is a good day for role-play, fun, and for ambitious players to test themselves. Resistance also has a major advantage participation wise in that there is no player elimination. However, Resistance is much smaller, and far far less flexible. Werewolf can be altered in hundreds of major and minor ways to keep the game fresh. Resistance...is pretty much the same thing from game to game, and while you can sort of fiddle with the roles, it doesn't work half as well as far as I've seen. WW also tends to be a better role-play experience arguably, as the narrator can help create a much more comprehensive story and atmosphere, and player elimination creates more plot drive than simple mission completion, Res is episodic in that regard. In Resistance's defense however, the lack of a need for a narrator (if you're playing in real life) is a major gain for small groups.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

RAF is Ready Aim Fire. Similar to the Circle of Assassin games and the like.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Halfling in the Playground

I have an idea for a Werewolf game with a different settings and an extra set of mechanics. Who can I PM to discuss ideas?
    Darn it Whisper !

14. - Top - End - #884
    Orc in the Playground

I can't wait, Lex-Kat!

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

That depends, Luizeu. Would the discussion of those ideas wind up with whoever discussed it with you not be able to play in the game?

16. - Top - End - #886
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luizeu View Post
    I have an idea for a Werewolf game with a different settings and an extra set of mechanics. Who can I PM to discuss ideas?
    I'm up for it. But keep in mind only one of my games has been close to balanced so far.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I think you guys are making too big a deal of the lack of roleplaying. So far as I've seen, if you actually SAY in your opening post you expect people to RP, they will. I mean, you might get people who are more into it than others, but even the least talkative people in Core Component gave me something to work with. And some of the others I suspect are holding out on me and have an entire novel of backstory written.
    I blame me getting old - I've gotten a lot more grumpy lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    1) Maybe. I didn't think of that, but maybe.
    2) So where did this whole 'gambler' role come from?
    It'll never work! As for the gambler, I needed something to fake, and it sounded convincing. It's a role I never quite used in my games yet, but have planned to.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

It'll never work! As for the gambler, I needed something to fake, and it sounded convincing. It's a role I never quite used in my games yet, but have planned to.
    It wasn't even my idea, you brought it up.
    It had just been such an elaborate claim, I was very impressed with it. Good job. That is why I like being included in PMs in my games.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #889

@Ramsus, hum, I guess thats nothing to be revealed per se. I need help to balance the game, decide if theres going to be or how many power roles should exist. I have more or less a general idea, but only experienced players would be able to help me with the details a novice like me wouldnt think about
    Darn it Whisper !

20. - Top - End - #890
    Orc in the Playground

Speaking of games and RAF, Duck, you haven't introduced any of your head-explodey logic goodness!

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

It wasn't even my idea, you brought it up.
    It had just been such an elaborate claim, I was very impressed with it. Good job. That is why I like being included in PMs in my games.
    I can see it now: Cat Fight 3 - Epic Yarn: Kitties going on a quest for personal fame and fortune by finding a golden ball of string...

I'm not really cut out for shenanigans in WW, but damnit I'll try and make it sound good.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    Speaking of games and RAF, Duck, you haven't introduced any of your head-explodey logic goodness!
    Please don't do that to my head.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Luizeu, you can probably discuss it here then. Unless you actually want it to be something of a surprise for as many people as possible. In that case feel free to PM me (though you might as well make a QT and PM me a link to that as it'd probably be an ongoing discussion).

24. - Top - End - #894
    Orc in the Playground

Hehe.

*focuses on Logic's head*

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    I need another thread for that. I don't want any brain bits sticking up this thread.
    I won't... until there is another RAF game.
    I can see it now: Cat Fight 3 - Epic Yarn: Kitties going on a quest for personal fame and fortune by finding a golden ball of string...

I'm not really cut out for shenanigans in WW, but damnit I'll try and make it sound good.

I'm not really cut out for shenanigans in WW

Oh really? I disagree. Especially if you are the one narrating it Mister Cat Fight. Or if you claim a role of your making in my game.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #896
    Orc in the Playground

So, who's hosting the next CoA game? I'm up for it, if Penguinator isn't yet.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Honestly? I like a cooldown from CoA, because I invest more time in it than is healthy.

You can run the next one, but could you give it a couple weeks?

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #898

How is this game played?
    Darn it Whisper !

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luizeu View Post
    How is this game played?
    Everyone, at the beginning of the game, sends in a secret to the narrator. A list of players and secrets is given. Each round, you try to match a player with their secret by PMing the narrator a guess. If you are right, they die. If someone matches you up to your secret, you die.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Everyone, at the beginning of the game, sends in a secret to the narrator.
    And several people post a fake secret. Then Duck yells at them for it.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.