New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Soul and Steel: A Guide to the Ironsoul Forgemaster (WIP, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    That strikes me as a little sketchy, but it's probably worth noting. Do you have another example of racial traits signifying counting as a member of the race?
    No. Normally, but not always, this is denoted by the augmented subtype. The augmented subtype is lacking from many monster entries where it should be applicable. eg. A formerly human lich still qualifies for feats and classes requiring the human race as a prerequisite, despite having Type: Undead, not Type Humanoid (Human). In fact they no longer qualify for the (Human) subtype, as that is a subtype associated with humanoids. They still retain the abilities of the base creature, in this instance Human Traits (ex).

Technically, the Durzagon should have Type: Outsider (native outsider, augmented humanoid), because that is what the creature actually is. That is also how you would notate the Type and Subtype of a Half Fiend/Dwarf, interestingly enough. The difficulty, is that the Durzagon is a base monster, not an aquired or inherited template. As such, most of the information regarding type and subtypes at my disposal fails to cover this specific circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irk View Post
    May be worth mentioning these soulmelds, especially astral vambraces which allows you to snag Prereq feats like Mobility (meh), Imporved BullRush (Shock Trooper!), and Power Attack (yes!). Also, when bound to hands AND arms, you can get a combo with the astral construct trip ability and improved trip for attack-trip-attack on each slam attack. Unfortunately, I don't think that this is really all that good for weapon enhancements.
    Added - thanks for reminding me they were there!

Out of curiosity, how did you intend to bind one soulmeld to two chakras, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by WinWin View Post
    No. Normally, but not always, this is denoted by the augmented subtype. The augmented subtype is lacking from many monster entries where it should be applicable. eg. A formerly human lich still qualifies for feats and classes requiring the human race as a prerequisite, despite having Type: Undead, not Type Humanoid (Human). In fact they no longer qualify for the (Human) subtype, as that is a subtype associated with humanoids. They still retain the abilities of the base creature, in this instance Human Traits (ex).

Technically, the Durzagon should have Type: Outsider (native outsider, augmented humanoid), because that is what the creature actually is. That is also how you would notate the Type and Subtype of a Half Fiend/Dwarf, interestingly enough. The difficulty, is that the Durzagon is a base monster, not an aquired or inherited template. As such, most of the information regarding type and subtypes at my disposal fails to cover this specific circumstance.
    Yeah, this is where I am, too. First, it's an Outsider - not even a Native Outsider, just an Outsider. Dwarves are (traditionally) Humanoid, although I'd imagine there could be other types, provided that they had the right subtypes. And (Dwarf) is an explicit subtype - look at the SRD if you doubt it. Even Duergar have the Humanoid (Dwarf) type and subtype combination.

By RAW, Durzagon are not Dwarves. I'd be willing to fluff it as DM, because the RAI seems to be "this is an infernal Dwarf, roll with it," but the RAW is pretty damning.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Things to consider:

Ironsoul Forgemaster gets access to the Waist Chakra slot at level 6 (ECL 11 at the earliest, 3 levels earlier then a pure Incarnate or Totemist) and the Heart Chakra slot at level 10 (ECL 15 at the earliest, 1 level earlier then a pure Incarnate and 2 levels earlier then a pure Totemist). This could be important for certain builds, especially in one-shot and short running campaigns.

Ironsoul Forgemaster does NOT get access to the Brow or Throat chakra slots. Brow isn't that big of a deal, but Throat is one of the most powerful Chakra Binds. A Throat Chakra Bind can grant the Incorporeal Subtype (Apparition Ribbon), a potent ranged attack (Dissolving Spittle), Banishment (Planar Ward), Save or Daze (Arcane Focus/Psychic Focus), at-will Suggestion (Silvertongue Mask), and other goodies. You can open Brow with the Open Chakra Feat at level 14 and you can open Throat with a Feat at level 18, but that's a long time to wait, and you're spending a late game Feat to get it.

The Essentia Capacity for class abilities is determined by your hit dice, and can't be permanently increased. (It can be temporarily increased for 1 round by the Divine Soultouch Feat or Incandescent Champion, but those methods are very inefficient). Thus your essentia capacity for your class abilities is limited to 1-4 points. Shield Bond thus provides universal Energy Resistance 5-20, Armor Bond provides DR 1-4/- (stacks with DR/- provided by armor), and Weapon Bonus provides you with a +2 to +8 bonus to damage. This is particularly noteworthy for Weapon Bond, because the Fort Save DC for your Daze effect is thus DC 10 + Con bonus + (1 to 4), which isn't great. (Though in fairness, Con will probably be your highest attribute, and any living enemy will have to make a Fort Save every time you hit them with your bonded weapon).

The Weapon Bond ability applies to an entire weapon, and enemies need to Save every time they are hit, which makes Two Weapon Fighting with a double weapon a tempting option (though it potentially makes your build MAD). In particular, the Dire Flail Smash Feat (Champions of Ruin pg 16) imposes a Save or Daze effect on all creatures that you hit with both ends of your dire flail, which adds yet another lock-down effect to your build.

Dragon Magazine 350 pgs 86-87 have some potent soulmelds to consider. In particular, Chaos Roc's Span gives you 2 Wing Buffet attacks (with a Save or Daze effect when bound to your Shoulders chakra), and Brood Keeper's Heart gives you the Swarm template when bound to your Heart chakra.

Dragon Mantle Soulmeld provides Energy Resistance Acid, Electricity, Fire, and Cold (3 * essentia), and explicitly stacks with Energy Resistance from other sources. Thus a Totemist 2/Whatever 3/Ironsoul Forgemaster X with Shield Bond + Dragon Mantle would have Energy Resistance 8-32 (or more, since the essentia capacity of soulmelds can be increased) against everything except Sonic energy (which would be 5-20). When combined with Evasion (from a ring, Raptor's Mask, Impulse Boots, or Rogue 2) this makes you mostly immune to most Energy damage you're likely to encounter.

Every mid-high level Incarnum based build should consider a 1 level dip into the Necrocarnate PrC, which allows you to harvest essentia from recently dead bodies for 24 hours, which can often allow you to fill every soulmeld and class ability full of essentia after you've had a couple of combats.

A 1 level dip into any Skill Monkey class plus the Able Learner Feat plus the Skill bonuses that you get from soulmelds can make you a highly effective Skill Monkey. It's particularly useful for optimizing Hide/Move Silently, Spot, Tumble, and Use Magic Device.

Sorcerer 1 is also a great dip, in that it grants you a Familiar. The Share Soulmeld Feat allows a Familiar or Animal Companion to share the benefits of your soulmelds, which can basically double their effectiveness. It also negates the need for Use Magic Device for any Sorcerer spell trigger item, like a Wand of Soul Boon (adds essentia)

Necrocarnum Circlet bound to the Crown Chakra is the Incarnate's most powerful soulmeld for a variety of reasons, in that it basically gives you a second infinitely replaceable Tier 4-ish minion to control. You should check it out. Though it is dependent on your Incarnate meldshaper level, so it's best with an Incarnate 5/Ironsoul Forgemaster X build.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Things to consider:
    Things to consider: I am totally going to copy-paste virtually everything you wrote there. Because it is awesome. Thank you!
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Great guide, I've been wanting to make one but was confused as to which Soulbinder class to take.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Every mid-high level Incarnum based build should consider a 1 level dip into the Necrocarnate PrC, which allows you to harvest essentia from recently dead bodies for 24 hours, which can often allow you to fill every soulmeld and class ability full of essentia after you've had a couple of combats.
    Necrocarnate is evil only, which is a problem for an Ironsoul Forgemaster.

A 1 level dip into any Skill Monkey class plus the Able Learner Feat plus the Skill bonuses that you get from soulmelds can make you a highly effective Skill Monkey. It's particularly useful for optimizing Hide/Move Silently, Spot, Tumble, and Use Magic Device.
    Able Learner is Human only and generally incompatible with Ironsoul Forgemaster. Dungeonscape says straight up that the feat should be available to Changelings as well as humans though, and Racial Emulation will get you into Ironsoul Forgemaster. Plus, Changeling Rogue is pretty spiffy.

Sorcerer 1 is also a great dip, in that it grants you a Familiar. The Share Soulmeld Feat allows a Familiar or Animal Companion to share the benefits of your soulmelds, which can basically double their effectiveness. It also negates the need for Use Magic Device for any Sorcerer spell trigger item, like a Wand of Soul Boon (adds essentia)
    Why Sorcerer, out of curiosity? Martial Wizard 1 has the same familiar and spell list, plus a Fighter bonus feat and the ability to cast a few 1st level spells with a stat that isn't Cha.

Necrocarnum Circlet bound to the Crown Chakra is the Incarnate's most powerful soulmeld for a variety of reasons, in that it basically gives you a second infinitely replaceable Tier 4-ish minion to control. You should check it out. Though it is dependent on your Incarnate meldshaper level, so it's best with an Incarnate 5/Ironsoul Forgemaster X build.
    Again, evil only and therefore problematic.

Regarding natural weapon soulmelds, you might want to at least consider the ones that can get you a bite attack, as that'll allow you to wield a Mouthpick weapon (Lords of Madness) which grants you automatic proficiency (hello spiked chain) and leaves both your hands free for shields or claws or whatever.

I'm sort of kicking around the idea of a Trapsmith/Ironsoul Forgemaster. It has a small spell list, but a good one and gets it over only 5 levels. With your CL covered, you should be able to make all kinds of stuff without help from any snooty wizards. Crafting arms and armor lets you make better booby traps. Ironsoul Forgemaster also seems bullrush friendly, which could mean a way to push people into your traps. Shame that Theft Gloves doesn't seem to be enough to meet the trapfinding requirement, since it's not really a class ability so much as the consequence of one.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2014-04-30 at 03:50 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Out of curiosity, how did you intend to bind one soulmeld to two chakras, exactly?
    As you saw in the other thread, I was mistaken. Sorry about that.

8. - Top - End - #68

Necrocarnate is evil only, which is a problem for an Ironsoul Forgemaster.
    The adaptations section contains the "Vivicarnate" which is the same thing as the necrocarante, but good. Kinda like the unarmed swordsage. I don't know of that's what he was referring to, though.
    Last edited by Irk; 2014-04-30 at 04:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

The adaptations section contains the "Vivicarnate" which is the same thing as the necrocarante, but good. Kinda like the unarmed swordsage. I don't know of that's what he was referring to, though.
    Huh, neat. I hadn't noticed the adaptation section before. It's still sort of in "ask your DM" territory though.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

If the caster level for crafting is important, you could always take Bloodline levels. They stack with Iron Forgemaster levels for the caster level thing, as well as Forge Lore. So at ECL 6 with a major bloodline, you could be crafting magic arms and armor as a 12th level caster or better. Not too shabby. They also increase your meldshaper level, and they stack with other class levels for various stuff too.

They count toward your maximum skill ranks, so you can take them before level 5 and still qualify for Forgemaster on time, but they don't actually increase your character level, so you get xp as if you were lower level than the rest of the party and eventually catch up later on. Might as well ask your DM if dragon bloodlines qualify you as dragonblooded for draconic soulmelds while you're at it.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2014-04-30 at 05:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

"ask your DM" territory though.
    Yeah, for sure. Kind of cool though.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

No love for Expanded Soulmeld Capacity? I was surprised not to see it in the list of incarnum feats; I consider it a staple, and often wish I could take it even more.

I'm actually playing a Crusader/Incarnate/ISF right now, currently at level 6:

Spoiler: Build
    Show
    Incarnate 4/Crusader 1/Ironsoul Forgemaster 1
    1. Incarnate1- Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (F), Cerulean Will (F)
    2. Incarnate2-
    3. Incarnate3- Parrying Shield
    4. Incarnate4-
    5. Crusader1-
    Crusader's Strike, Leading the Attack, Battle Leader's Charge, Shield Block, Mountain Hammer, Martial Spirit (s)
    6. Ironsoul Forgemaster1- Extra Granted Maneuver

I would have really liked to fit in Stone Power somewhere to work up the beefiness of this guy, but there was no way to pull it off without either missing out on second level maneuvers or dropping Extra Granted Maneuver, which seemed more necessary. I'll probably grab it at 9. My plan is to take another level of ISF, then drop back into Crusader for a level to pick up Thicket of Blades before returning and finishing out ISF.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    No love for Expanded Soulmeld Capacity? I was surprised not to see it in the list of incarnum feats; I consider it a staple, and often wish I could take it even more.
    Actually, I agree with this tremendously. Expanded Soulmeld Capacity is REALLY useful considering it caps at 4 regularly. I only know of this feat, the Incarnate and Totemist abilities, the Incanrum Focus, and that Divine Feat as methods of increasing soulmled capacity. This can raises it up to 9, which I beleive is the absolute maximum.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Able Learner is Human only and generally incompatible with Ironsoul Forgemaster. Dungeonscape says straight up that the feat should be available to Changelings as well as humans though, and Racial Emulation will get you into Ironsoul Forgemaster. Plus, Changeling Rogue is pretty spiffy.
    Point. Changeling will be added to race list, and a note will be added to Able Learner.

Regarding natural weapon soulmelds, you might want to at least consider the ones that can get you a bite attack, as that'll allow you to wield a Mouthpick weapon (Lords of Madness) which grants you automatic proficiency (hello spiked chain) and leaves both your hands free for shields or claws or whatever.
    Hmm... Tempting. And technically, Forgemaster doesn't have a limit on the weapons from which you can benefit; in theory, you could craft a mouthpick weapon and a main hand weapon. Noted.

I'm sort of kicking around the idea of a Trapsmith/Ironsoul Forgemaster. It has a small spell list, but a good one and gets it over only 5 levels. With your CL covered, you should be able to make all kinds of stuff without help from any snooty wizards. Crafting arms and armor lets you make better booby traps. Ironsoul Forgemaster also seems bullrush friendly, which could mean a way to push people into your traps. Shame that Theft Gloves doesn't seem to be enough to meet the trapfinding requirement, since it's not really a class ability so much as the consequence of one.
    Lay it on me, if you come up with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    If the caster level for crafting is important, you could always take Bloodline levels. They stack with Iron Forgemaster levels for the caster level thing, as well as Forge Lore. So at ECL 6 with a major bloodline, you could be crafting magic arms and armor as a 12th level caster or better. Not too shabby. They also increase your meldshaper level, and they stack with other class levels for various stuff too.

They count toward your maximum skill ranks, so you can take them before level 5 and still qualify for Forgemaster on time, but they don't actually increase your character level, so you get xp as if you were lower level than the rest of the party and eventually catch up later on. Might as well ask your DM if dragon bloodlines qualify you as dragonblooded for draconic soulmelds while you're at it.
    I'm a bit reluctant to throw Bloodline levels on; players who are aware of them know how they can be used to add a dash of Parmesan to any build. Players who aren't aware of them may find them daunting (I did), possibly confusing, and may misapply them or peeve their DMs. I'd rather not recommend them, but it's a good point.

I'm actually playing a Crusader/Incarnate/ISF right now, currently at level 6:

Spoiler: Build
    Show
    Incarnate 4/Crusader 1/Ironsoul Forgemaster 1
    1. Incarnate1- Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (F), Cerulean Will (F)
    2. Incarnate2-
    3. Incarnate3- Parrying Shield
    4. Incarnate4-
    5. Crusader1-
    Crusader's Strike, Leading the Attack, Battle Leader's Charge, Shield Block, Mountain Hammer, Martial Spirit (s)
    6. Ironsoul Forgemaster1- Extra Granted Maneuver

I would have really liked to fit in Stone Power somewhere to work up the beefiness of this guy, but there was no way to pull it off without either missing out on second level maneuvers or dropping Extra Granted Maneuver, which seemed more necessary. I'll probably grab it at 9. My plan is to take another level of ISF, then drop back into Crusader for a level to pick up Thicket of Blades before returning and finishing out ISF.
    You know, I didn't think about it much, at first; being able to add a single additional essentia from an admittedly limited pool didn't strike me as profoundly valuable, particularly when this class' three major abilities (Shield, Armor and Weapon Bond) aren't technically shaped soulmelds and thus don't qualify for the feat's benefit. Further, this feat only increases a single soulmeld at a time, and can only apply once to any soulmeld. So its benefit is similarly limited. But I can certainly make a note of it.

And as an aside, I am thrilled that someone is posting more ToB love! Do you have a more expanded build planned?
    Last edited by Red Fel; 2014-04-30 at 08:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... Tempting. And technically, Forgemaster doesn't have a limit on the weapons from which you can benefit; in theory, you could craft a mouthpick weapon and a main hand weapon. Noted.
    That probably counts as TWFing, and you need to invest essentia in them separately. Still, you can dual-wield spiked chains, which is pretty silly.

I personally like using a heavy shield and the Shield Counter maneuver so anyone that gets through the Spiked Chain AoOs gets hit in the face (you can bash two-handed because it counts as a one-handed weapon as opposed to a light one) as an immediate action, then misses their next attack.

Lay it on me, if you come up with it!
    My current idea is a tripper using the Setting Sun throws (I have a soft spot for the discipline) to make a touch attack which dazes the enemy and flings them into traps I made. It depends on a reading of the rules that says squares with traps in them are not occupied, but that seems like a plausible interpretation. Everything I can find that uses the term "occupied" in the SRD either refers to a square having a creature in it or having something otherwise large and obtrusive in it. A little tripwire should be fine. Here's a draft.

Lesser Druegar Martial Rogue 2/Incarnate 2/Swordsage 1/Trapsmith 3/Ironsoul Forgemaster 10/Trapsmith +2 (If LA buyoff is allowed, use Psionic Druegar and Druegar Expansion, which will also free up your 18th level feat for something else because Expansion Augmentation will already make it a swift action by that level)
    1. Martial Rogue 1 - Magic in the Blood, Combat Expertise
    2. Martial Rogue 2 - Improved Trip
    3. Totemist 1 - Darkstalker
    4. Totemist 2
    5. Swordsage 1
    6. Trapsmith 1 - Adaptive Style
    7. Trapsmith 2
    8. Trapsmith 3
    9. Ironsoul Forgemaster 1 - Martial Study (Strength Draining Strike)
    10. Ironsoul Forgemaster 2 - Craft Magic Arms and Armor
    11. Ironsoul Forgemaster 3
    12. Ironsoul Forgemaster 4 - Shape Soulmeld (Mauling Gauntlets)
    13. Ironsoul Forgemaster 5
    14. Ironsoul Forgemaster 6
    15. Ironsoul Forgemaster 7 - Martial Study (Soaring Throw)
    16. Ironsoul Forgemaster 8
    17. Ironsoul Forgemaster 9
    18. Ironsoul Forgemaster 10 - Quicken Spell Like Ability
    19. Trapsmith 4
    20. Trapsmith 5

An alternate stub is Factotum 3/Totemist 2/Trapsmith 3/Ironsoul Forgemaster 9/Swordsage 1 (adjust placement of dip to taste)/Trapsmith +2. Might or might not require flaws, depending in point at which you stick the Swordsage dip in.

Maneuvers: Mighty Throw, Clever Positioning, Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, Action Before Thought, Mountain Hammer, Strength Draining Strike, Soaring Throw
    Stance: Child of Shadow

Important soulmelds are Worg Pelt (Totem (Bound)), Mauling Gauntlets (Arms), Sphinx Claws (Hands), Kruthik Claws (Shoulders) (You eventually hit 6 soulmelds and 3 binds, but these are the big ones)

Worg Pelt gives you a bite, which you use to hold a Mouthpick Spiked Chain, and helps you pump your stealth, as does Kruthik Claws. Scuttle about in the darkness, setting booby traps which will fire really nice arrows that you made out of really nice crossbows that you made. Sadly, Secrets of the Forge won't increase the Craft (Trapmaking) check, but you'll manage. When you have no further need to be medium, you can use your Enlarge Person SLA (which is 3/day thanks to Magic in the Blood) and go to work. Your BAB is kinda meh, but you'll have a good weapon and Haste is 1st level on the Trapsmith list. You throw maneuvers to toss people into your traps, and eventually a daze effect which applies even on the touch attacks you use to initiate trips and throws. Your trip checks are boosted through Mauling Gauntlets and Sphinx Claws.

If you can't get access to a friendly Cleric or something to cast Fabricate for you to make yourself a mouthpick weapon, you may want to finish Trapsmith before going into Ironsoul Forgemaster to get access to it natively.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2014-05-01 at 12:32 AM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

Actually, I agree with this tremendously. Expanded Soulmeld Capacity is REALLY useful considering it caps at 4 regularly. I only know of this feat, the Incarnate and Totemist abilities, the Incanrum Focus, and that Divine Feat as methods of increasing soulmled capacity. This can raises it up to 9, which I beleive is the absolute maximum.
    Essentia Capacity is determine by the following:

• 1-5 HD = 1 point of essentia
    • 6-11 HD = 2 points of essentia
    • 12-17 HD = 3 points of essentia
    • 18-20 HD = 4 points of essentia
    • Totemist 15: +1 to soulmelds bound to Totem chakra
    • Incarnate level 3: +1 to Incarnate soulmelds
    • Incarnate level 15: +1 to Incarnate soulmelds
    • Necrocarnate prestige class level 9 (ECL 16): +1 to Necrocarnum soulmelds. It explicitly stacks with the Incarnate bonus. Though by taking that many levels of Necrocarnate, you're basically giving up the +1 expanded capacity to soulmelds you could have gotten from Incarnate or Totemist 15, and their expended essentia abilities are much more versatile.
    • Totem Rager prestige class level 10 (ECL 15): +1 to soulmelds bound to Totem chakra (basically the same ability you'd get as a Totemist 15)
    • Incarnum Focus Magic Item: +1 to any soulmeld that is shaped into a specific slot (Crown, Brow, etc). Does not exist for Totem chakra, which is slotless. Using this magic item does not prevent you from binding a soulmeld to the item's slot. It's also expensive, so it's unlikely you'll be able to afford one until mid-levels, and it's unlikely you'll buy more then a small number of them. Note that it's reprinted in the Magic Item Compendium, and that version is slightly cheaper and better then the one in Magic of Incarnum.
    • Expanded Soulmeld Capacity Feat: +1 for one soulmeld. You can choose a new soulmeld each time you shape them. You can take this Feat multiple times, though in practice you'll proably only take it once or twice for your most critical soulmelds.
    • Improved Essentia Capacity Feat: +1 for Incarnum Feats. Most Incarnum Feats are garbage, so you probably won't take this though.
    • Divine Soultouch Feat: Once per round you can spend a Turn/Rebuke Undead use to gain +1 essentia and add +1 essentia capacity to everything for 1 round. Turn/Rebuke Undead uses are a very precious resource for Divine/Domain Feats, so I personally wouldn't use this option.
    • Incandescent Champion prestige class Incarnum Overload class ability can increase the essentia capacity of any soulmeld, feat, or special ability by your Charisma bonus for 1 round as a Free Action. But it's only usable once per day at level 4 (ECL 9), twice at level 7 (ECL 12), and three times at level 10 (ECL 15). Incandescent Champion also provides some essentia , but does not progress meldshaping in any other way, and all of it's other class abilities are garbage. So it's only worth considering for an NPC.

To summarize, essentia capacity will typically be 1-4 for most applications, 1-6 an Incarnate's soulmelds, and 1-8 for a small number of the Incarnate or Totemist's most important soulmelds. In theory for 1 round you could push it up to 9 with Divine Soultouch add your Cha bonus with Incandescent Champion, but in practice few people will do so. It's also worth noting that Ironsoul Forgemaster does NOT provide +1 essentia capacity to anything, so you'll have slightly less effective soulmelds at ECL 15+ (in exchange for better class abilities).

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth WhamBamSam:

Worg Pelt gives you a bite, which you use to hold a Mouthpick Spiked Chain, and helps you pump your stealth, as does Kruthik Claws.
    A common misconception. Worg Pelt and Kruthik Claws are both competence bonuses, and hence don't stack with each other. For that matter, Shadow and Silent Moves on armor is also a competence bonus, and is almost certainly a much larger bonus than you could get from the soulmelds, and so neither meld will end up giving you any bonus at all.

In general, Totemist skill boosts are hardly ever worthwhile, since they're almost all competence bonuses, which is the most common kind, and so you'll almost always have some other competence bonus that's larger. Incarnate skill boosts are usually insight bonuses, which are significantly rarer (especially in the amounts you can get from Incarnate), and hence are more valuable.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Build idea!
    Cribbed, thanks! That actually sounds like a crazy fun build. I admit, I wouldn't have thought to bring in Trapsmith on this class.

Essentia Capacity!
    Cribbed, thanks! That might be the most detailed list of essentia capacity resources I've read in one place. And I've read quite a few incarnum guides. Awesome!
    Last edited by Red Fel; 2014-05-01 at 11:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

So am what I hearing is that the daze DC is going to suck?
    10+con+essentia invested; if you go in Incarnate 3/X2/Irounsoul9, your max invested essentia is 4, so 14+con mod?

That's too bad. Going to need some serious con pumping to actually make that work.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A common misconception. Worg Pelt and Kruthik Claws are both competence bonuses, and hence don't stack with each other. For that matter, Shadow and Silent Moves on armor is also a competence bonus, and is almost certainly a much larger bonus than you could get from the soulmelds, and so neither meld will end up giving you any bonus at all.

In general, Totemist skill boosts are hardly ever worthwhile, since they're almost all competence bonuses, which is the most common kind, and so you'll almost always have some other competence bonus that's larger. Incarnate skill boosts are usually insight bonuses, which are significantly rarer (especially in the amounts you can get from Incarnate), and hence are more valuable.
    Good point. In that case it's probably best to get the bite from the Phase Cloak and bind it to your Totem and eventually your Shoulders. At least Mauling Gauntlets and Sphinx Claws stack, as they're morale and competence bonuses, respectively.

Cribbed, thanks! That actually sounds like a crazy fun build. I admit, I wouldn't have thought to bring in Trapsmith on this class.
    Thanks! I really like Trapsmith, and when I noticed it while checking to see who had access to Fabricate for making Mouthpick weapons, I thought it might make for some nice synergy. The crafting focus doesn't overlap quite as much as one would like, but even so, it comes out looking pretty nice.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeren View Post
    So am what I hearing is that the daze DC is going to suck?
    10+con+essentia invested; if you go in Incarnate 3/X2/Irounsoul9, your max invested essentia is 4, so 14+con mod?

That's too bad. Going to need some serious con pumping to actually make that work.
    To be fair, incarnum is a Con-heavy system. Requires solid Con to get up and running. Fortunately, you get a boost with Dwarf (+2 Con), moreso if you apply a template like Dragonborn or similar. And the Con really helps if you end up playing a tanky-style anyway.

But yes. The daze is hardly perfect, hence why it's green instead of blue. The advantage, however, is that even if you're looking at a low Con bonus, you've still got a moderate chance of causing a complete lockdown every time you hit. Each hit triggers the save. They're bound to miss one at some point.

Good point. In that case it's probably best to get the bite from the Phase Cloak and bind it to your Totem and eventually your Shoulders. At least Mauling Gauntlets and Sphinx Claws stack, as they're morale and competence bonuses, respectively.
    Yeah, I went back and fixed that. Pity, but it is what it is.

Thanks! I really like Trapsmith, and when I noticed it while checking to see who had access to Fabricate for making Mouthpick weapons, I thought it might make for some nice synergy. The crafting focus doesn't overlap quite as much as one would like, but even so, it comes out looking pretty nice.
    It does, surprisingly enough. I'd figure it for more gnomish than dwarvish characters, but it really does work.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I didn't think about it much, at first; being able to add a single additional essentia from an admittedly limited pool didn't strike me as profoundly valuable, particularly when this class' three major abilities (Shield, Armor and Weapon Bond) aren't technically shaped soulmelds and thus don't qualify for the feat's benefit. Further, this feat only increases a single soulmeld at a time, and can only apply once to any soulmeld. So its benefit is similarly limited. But I can certainly make a note of it.

And as an aside, I am thrilled that someone is posting more ToB love! Do you have a more expanded build planned?
    In my opinion, it's the single most important "general" feat you can take as an incarnum user, even more so than Bonus Essentia (unless you've dipped heavily and need Bonus Essentia to shore up your pool).

In any case, if nothing else, you can think of it as a floating +1 or +2 that you can reassign every day. For example, in that level 6 build I posted, I currently have it assigned to Spellward Shirt as my default, because having SR 21 at level 6 is nuts. Once I get an arms bind for incarnate weapon, it also will improve the attack, damage and stun DC of my dazing all at once. On the other hand, the totemist 2/warblade 1 I'm playing in another game loves the fact that his girallon arms have a +3 enhancement bonus when most players haven't even purchased their first magic weapon.

As for if I have more of an expanded build - it's not really a complicated build. One more level of ISF, then a level of Crusader for Thicket of Blades, then the remaining 8 levels of ISF. If the campaign goes high enough, I'll decide whether I want to finish it out with more incarnate (my personal preference right now) or more crusader (if it seems like the build needs more beefiness). For feats, I plan to take Stone Power and Bonus Essentia, and probably Martial Study down the road. It's a new campaign and we haven't played much, so I want to leave myself flexible build-wise.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

In my opinion, it's the single most important "general" feat you can take as an incarnum user, even more so than Bonus Essentia (unless you've dipped heavily and need Bonus Essentia to shore up your pool).

In any case, if nothing else, you can think of it as a floating +1 or +2 that you can reassign every day. For example, in that level 6 build I posted, I currently have it assigned to Spellward Shirt as my default, because having SR 21 at level 6 is nuts. Once I get an arms bind for incarnate weapon, it also will improve the attack, damage and stun DC of my dazing all at once. On the other hand, the totemist 2/warblade 1 I'm playing in another game loves the fact that his girallon arms have a +3 enhancement bonus when most players haven't even purchased their first magic weapon.
    Well, point taken. I can see how a floating capacity bonus can be valuable, once you have the essentia to fill it.

As for if I have more of an expanded build - it's not really a complicated build. One more level of ISF, then a level of Crusader for Thicket of Blades, then the remaining 8 levels of ISF. If the campaign goes high enough, I'll decide whether I want to finish it out with more incarnate (my personal preference right now) or more crusader (if it seems like the build needs more beefiness). For feats, I plan to take Stone Power and Bonus Essentia, and probably Martial Study down the road. It's a new campaign and we haven't played much, so I want to leave myself flexible build-wise.
    Mind if I crib your build stub, then? I know it's unfinished, but it's clean and classy and straightforward.

As an aside, I've added a section under So Many Dwarves! for Templates!. As always, input is welcomed!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth Piggy Knowles:

Once I get an arms bind for incarnate weapon, it also will improve the attack, damage and stun DC of my dazing all at once.
    Wait a minute... You're using the Incarnate Weapon as the weapon you infuse with Ironsoul Forgemaster? And counting "essentia infused into the weapon" to be the same essentia for the soulmeld's benefits and for ISFM? That seems like it should be completely obvious, but this is the first it's occurred to me. It is, after all, a weapon you created yourself.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, folks. Are there any more suggestions, any areas I missed?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Wait a minute... You're using the Incarnate Weapon as the weapon you infuse with Ironsoul Forgemaster? And counting "essentia infused into the weapon" to be the same essentia for the soulmeld's benefits and for ISFM? That seems like it should be completely obvious, but this is the first it's occurred to me. It is, after all, a weapon you created yourself.
    I talked about this on the first page. Check with your DM, some will allow it and some won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Alright, folks. Are there any more suggestions, any areas I missed?
    Why no love for Therapeutic Mantle? It looks like a nice combo on our default Incarnate 4 / Crusader 1 / IF 1 with Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat to heal 11 hp per hit instead of only 2 hp from Martial Spirit stance.
    Math: 11 = 2 + 1 (stance level) + 2 * 4 (essentia invested).

A then you add Crusader's Strike and least Crystal of Life Drinking and things become ugly

There is also Vitality Belt that adds +4 on Con-based skill checks (read: saves via Diamond Mind counters for those willing to dip Warblade) as well as bonus HP on demand.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xander_Phoenix View Post
    Why no love for Therapeutic Mantle? It looks like a nice combo on our default Incarnate 4 / Crusader 1 / IF 1 with Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat to heal 11 hp per hit instead of only 2 hp from Martial Spirit stance.
    Math: 11 = 2 + 1 (stance level) + 2 * 4 (essentia invested).

A then you add Crusader's Strike and least Crystal of Life Drinking and things become ugly
    Hmm... I'll be honest, I've always been bothered by Therapeutic Mantle. It's basically a soulmeld that exists for the sole purpose of improving healing performed on the wearer, except when bound it also improves healing performed by the wearer. It bothers me because, frankly, you shouldn't be letting things live long enough to cause you serious harm, there are better things to use in that slot, and frankly if you need extra healing there are better ways to go about it.

But let me double-check your math. A spell heals additional damage equal to its spell level. Martial Spirit is a level 1 stance that heals 2 hp on a successful melee attack, base total of 3. Right, you've got that. Then it boosts by an additional 2 hp per investment. Here's where things get ookie - you have these other, more melee-oriented abilities, and you're suggesting that a Forgemaster will invest his rare and precious essentia in getting an extra 8 hp per hit? Yes, that adds up, but it also detracts from other abilities in which he can be investing. He could invest the same essentia into his crafted sword and deal an extra 8 damage per hit - and, generally, dealing damage is better than healing it. He could invest the same essentia into his crafted armor and gain DR 4/--, effectively healing 4 hp every time he's hit. He could invest them in Lightning Gauntlets (and bind them to the hands chakra) to deal an extra 5d6 lightning damage once per round.

And the slot is precious too. You could take Adamant Pauldrons and gain fortification, or Lammasu Mantle for its myriad benefits.

While I acknowledge that it's a useful soulmeld for staying alive (which would make the Beegees proud), I just think it a poor choice. There are better things on which one might spend essentia.

There is also Vitality Belt that adds +4 on Con-based skill checks (read: saves via Diamond Mind counters for those willing to dip Warblade) as well as bonus HP on demand.
    The Vitality Belt is pretty nice, I grant you. But Dwarves don't exactly need help with Con. And frankly, the Strongheart Vest is more useful in that slot - ability damage is a real terror.

Again, while I like the idea of bonus HP, there are simply better options for the slot. But you've given me some food for thought. And certainly, if you were building a one-man party, your suggestions would be excellent ones. Hmm...

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

In general I agree with you, Red Fel, but the bonus HP that Vitality Belt provides is frankly ridiculous. It's enough of a massive chunk of HP that it's actually worth it for once - each point of essentia is like increasing your Con by +2 on a meldshaper heavy build. At level 20, if you're willing to sink some resources into it, that's ~120 HP (say, seven essentia invested on an Incarnate 8/Crusader 2/ISF 10 build).

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

In general I agree with you, Red Fel, but the bonus HP that Vitality Belt provides is frankly ridiculous. It's enough of a massive chunk of HP that it's actually worth it for once - each point of essentia is like increasing your Con by +2 on a meldshaper heavy build. At level 20, if you're willing to sink some resources into it, that's ~120 HP (say, seven essentia invested on an Incarnate 8/Crusader 2/ISF 10 build).
    Hmm... Okay. Re-reading it... that's (meldshaper level) x (essentia invested) HP - actual HP, not temp HP. I can see how that would be valuable, yeah. And investing essentia is a swift action, so... Huh. Okay. I'll concede this one, it's pretty nice, if you've got the essentia to spare. It goes in.