New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    I would LOVE for Pandora to be there actually for the card game. For what we know about her, she's interested in "things she can't predict", so... a newbie with a broken card in a card game tournament? Would that be enough to pick her interest? I'd love her to just be there for fun.
    Either that or inspiration for more havoc.

Or she's going to try to get into it despite showing up late, and manage it by being recognized from the news thing. In which case she's just looking at everyone else's deck first.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Either that or inspiration for more havoc.

Or she's going to try to get into it despite showing up late, and manage it by being recognized from the news thing. In which case she's just looking at everyone else's deck first.
    I dare say Pandora likely arranged for her to get the card. It wouldn't be hard to ease or delay the arrival of other players so that she was exactly at the right position in the line. I suspect that Sarah is a critical card in Pandora's own deck. She has so much desire, so much potential, but as of yet no known outlet for any of it. That likely makes her a very volatile factor, exactly the kind of thing Pandora wants. That card in any other hands would simply be an "I win" button, but in Sarah's it equates to critical conflict between her ego and her idealism, I'm not sure even Pandora knows which side would ultimately win - exactly how she likes it.

At least, I'm really, really, really hoping this has some significance beyond showing Vamp Sarah. I'm bored by anime of card games, much less the card games themselves, much less web comic arcs focusing on them. This tedium had darn well better pay off.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

See? Now we're talking. This is much more interesting.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Considering Raven's Statement in this comic about Pandora's magic being undetectable (Even to Raven, an Elf), I'd presume not. Luke can detect magic, for sure, but Immortal magic is probably not included in that.

Probably.
    Oh I know but Raven might not have a specific magic detection spell. It might just be a general "Power Level Sense" that he has. It is unclear at the moment. So if Luke's specific magic aura vision has a clause that lets him see Immortal auras its possible. Still unlikely but it would be amusing. It might also only work when Pandora isn't on the spirit plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

If Luke can detect Pandora's power then he'd probably go blind. He'd also probably have known about her already, unless there are multiple immortals going around giving people magic marks, or if he got his mark some other way.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

One thing this tournament has shown was another layer of Pandora's game. Raven was worried that Pandora was trying to get Noah killed: creating the "shadowy thing" to distract him from talking to Justin. That forced him to take the conversation to Salty Crackers and that put him in a position to help fight the dragon. Now we see another branch in that particular epileptic tree: by placing Noah in a position to fight the dragon, she exposed Noah to the public (although his actual identity was protected - and it's not established whether that was Noah's doing or Pandora's). In exposing Noah to the public, she mobilized Luke's circle, who now want to figure out what's really going on.

Honestly, seeing how much use she made of Dex is humbling. She is sitting on a tier of manipulators near Xanatos himself. Maybe not on the same one (she's just an ancient psychotic nigh-omniscient demigod, after all), but up there none the less.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    If Luke can detect Pandora's power then he'd probably go blind. He'd also probably have known about her already, unless there are multiple immortals going around giving people magic marks, or if he got his mark some other way.
    Considering the likely location of the mark (back), she could just have been behind him when she did it.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    Considering that she was the one to give the mark (most likely), I don't think she would be reckless enough to give anyone means to see her. If you can't be deteted by regular or magical means, you should never forfeit such an advantage. Pandora might be deranged, but she is clever.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Predictions:
    Show

Ted vs. Larry: Ted will mop the floor with him, either by Ted's superior deck-building skills (based on the fact that Ted is scary smart) or that Larry will be too busy trying to hit on him to play.
    Luke vs. Rich: Luke will win via plot because we need him to stay till the end of the tournament.
    Sarah vs. George: Sarah, because plot
    Tensaided vs. Random guy: I don't have to say it right?

Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Spoiler: Predictions:
    Show

Ted vs. Larry: Ted will mop the floor with him, either by Ted's superior deck-building skills (based on the fact that Ted is scary smart) or that Larry will be too busy trying to hit on him to play.
    Luke vs. Rich: Luke will win via plot because we need him to stay till the end of the tournament.
    Sarah vs. George: Sarah, because plot
    Tensaided vs. Random guy: I don't have to say it right?

You do realize it's not single-elimination, right? Any plot characters can lose and stay.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

No I didn't but that doesn't invalidates my predictions
    Just call me Dusk

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

With all of the great Sarah stuff we just got, I'd almost forgotten that Tensaided's faces are the best.

Look. Just look at it. That's an evil man, right there.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    With all of the great Sarah stuff we just got, I'd almost forgotten that Tensaided's faces are the best.

Look. Just look at it. That's an evil man, right there.
    The contrast his opponent's face provides just makes it even better.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

So from what I understand from Justin's rules explanation, it's not about being the last player left, tournament style, but about having the most wins after a set number of rounds? You never get eliminated from the competition?
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    So from what I understand from Justin's rules explanation, it's not about being the last player left, tournament style, but about having the most wins after a set number of rounds? You never get eliminated from the competition?
    From what I remember of the one time I participated in a MtG Type 3 (random packs) competition, the first part is indeed a series of one-on-one fights, and the 16 people with the most victories move to the knockout phase.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, most of the time Magic is played Swiss instead of single elimination. The bigger tournaments generally have a bunch of rounds (anything from 4 to 12, from what I've seen), then a cut to top 8/16, which is single-elim.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    One thing this tournament has shown was another layer of Pandora's game. Raven was worried that Pandora was trying to get Noah killed: creating the "shadowy thing" to distract him from talking to Justin. That forced him to take the conversation to Salty Crackers and that put him in a position to help fight the dragon. Now we see another branch in that particular epileptic tree: by placing Noah in a position to fight the dragon, she exposed Noah to the public (although his actual identity was protected - and it's not established whether that was Noah's doing or Pandora's). In exposing Noah to the public, she mobilized Luke's circle, who now want to figure out what's really going on.
    And by mobilizing Luke and friends, she ensures that Luke will join the tournament at the last minute, thereby creating just the perfect arrangement of cards to ensure that Sarah gets OP Aludakrala. When Sarah wins the tournament, she will win the card as well; since Sarah does not really know the true value of the card, Pandora will then be able to buy it off her at a crazy discount!

Mission. Accomplished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

hey guys, I noticed something in the comic and the tourney pairings:

Tedd's name is purple. I think thats a subtle acknowledge that this is a temporary thing and that Tedd will soon be back to normal.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    And by mobilizing Luke and friends, she ensures that Luke will join the tournament at the last minute, thereby creating just the perfect arrangement of cards to ensure that Sarah gets OP Aludakrala. When Sarah wins the tournament, she will win the card as well; since Sarah does not really know the true value of the card, Pandora will then be able to buy it off her at a crazy discount!

Mission. Accomplished.
    Since we're speculating, what if the card is supposed to inspire another player into creating/becoming a monster? Or it might be magical (either by accident, due to the creators not knowing about magic, but having small powers, or by Pandora's meddling). I suspect something is going on with the card, at least, considering Pandora's look.

Or Pandora may be waiting for a rampaging newly fanged Aberration that's currently trying to get to the tournament, but hasn't noticed the whole no-longer-boring-human bit. Or just watching card games, you never know with ancient chaotic entities. X3

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    hey guys, I noticed something in the comic and the tourney pairings:

Tedd's name is purple. I think thats a subtle acknowledge that this is a temporary thing and that Tedd will soon be back to normal.
    That's a possibility, though I personally don't get why it's particularly important whether it's temporary or not. It's what Tedd feels fits best at the moment, and it's not brainwashing people like not-Tengu, so I don't particularly mind.

Now, if it was green hair, then I might. Whoever would have green hair?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Now, if it was green hair, then I might. Whoever would have green hair?
    I don't know, maybe someone with a bunch of blue-eyed scaly mosters with a disregard for the rules?

Quite honestly I had this weird thought that Pandora will try to change the simple card game into Duel Monsters or something like that. If you consider the fact I couldn't read Justin's announcements without hearing Attention duelists! in my mind, it means one thing: too much YGOTAS.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah Ted. That comic made me laugh. Also he can't buy many cards on his allowance, but can get an endless supply of materials for his mad science. Seems pretty reasonable for how damn expensive the cards are in real life.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh. Yeah, Magic is kinda expensive. In a conversation with some friends a few days ago, we googling some prices and learned that cocaine is ~50 bucks for the weight of a magic card. For some formats, crack is literally cheaper

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Heh. Yeah, Magic is kinda expensive. In a conversation with some friends a few days ago, we googling some prices and learned that cocaine is ~50 bucks for the weight of a magic card. For some formats, crack is literally cheaper
    Wouldn't that be all formats? Unless buying any card worth getting for a format where you bring your own is that pricy, in which case, wow. Though I'd think basic lands would still bring the price down on average.
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Those kind of cards are usually from older sets, their price deriving from their rarity, basically this comic got it down to a T
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2014-05-30 at 08:14 AM.
    Just call me Dusk

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Those kind of cards are usually from older sets, their price deriving from their rarity, basically this comic got it down to a T
    That is possibly the most broken link I have ever seen, but I know the one you're talking about.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2014-05-30 at 08:18 AM.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Woops , fixed
    Just call me Dusk

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wouldn't that be all formats? Unless buying any card worth getting for a format where you bring your own is that pricy, in which case, wow. Though I'd think basic lands would still bring the price down on average.
    Well, it depends on the format. Standard and Modern decks are pretty cheap compared to, say, Legacy decks, especially ones with very few basic lands. For instance:

Spoiler: Team America Legacy Decklist
    Show

Creatures [9]
    4 Tarmogoyf - 4*$170 = $680
    3 Tombstalker - 3*$2 = $6
    2 Vendilion Clique - 2*$60 = $120

Instants [24]
    4 Brainstorm - 4*$1.5 = $6
    4 Daze - 4*$3 = $12
    4 Force Of Will - 4*$100 = $400
    2 Smother - 2*$0.15 = $0.30
    3 Snuff Out - 3*$0.30 = $0.90
    3 Spell Pierce - 3*$1.75 = $5.25
    4 Stifle - 4*$40 = $160

Sorceries [7]
    4 Ponder - 4*$1 = $4
    3 Thoughtseize - 3*$17 = $51

Lands [20]
    1 Bayou - $170
    4 Misty Rainforest - 4*$60 = $240
    4 Polluted Delta - 4*$110 = $410
    2 Tropical Island - 2*$230 = $460
    4 Underground Sea - 4*$335 = $1340
    1 Verdant Catacombs - $42
    4 Wasteland - 4*$105 = $420

Total: $4,527.45 for the main deck. Even if the 17 in the sideboard cost nothing, it's still more expensive.

(Admittedly, Team America is mostly just "let's throw half the best cards together and see if it works", but still...)

Basically, the line about keeping entry fees under triple digits for drafts of especially old sets is 100% correct.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Ah Ted. That comic made me laugh. Also he can't buy many cards on his allowance, but can get an endless supply of materials for his mad science. Seems pretty reasonable for how damn expensive the cards are in real life.
    Those are most likely supplied by Mr. Verres, particularly those for the purpose of building the TF gun (remember, it was an assignment from William and Gillian, not an original invention by Tedd). Though even if Tedd did pay for it all, the comment is still valid, as it would mean that Tedd cannot pay fro a large number of cards on top of the cost of the materials. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with Luke on the fairy thing. you don't mess with fairies. sure they look cute, small and fluttery, but then they constrict you with a lot of magical bargains and contracts, deceive you without telling a lie, then screw you over using a certain interpretation of the contract thats technically correct to the letter so that you die in a cruel fashion, while laughing uproariously over your weakening protests that there is such a thing as a spirit of a contract, nevermind obeying said spirit of the contract....fairies are awesome like that.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Okay I really like this comic

I wonder if Luke is actually gay or just being reasonably annoyed at the "Gay" comment. If he is then it's another possible pairing for Justin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.