New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground LVIII

WhamBamSam: Might be a good question to PM the chair, since some builds may have aspects of them that rely on the answer...
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    WhamBamSam: Might be a good question to PM the chair, since some builds may have aspects of them that rely on the answer...
    I PMed him at least part of the question last night, but haven't heard back from him yet, but I'll scrub it and send another PM to cut down on speculation.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Blargh, this is my first time building since the forum change. Just when I had the old format down by heart, I get to learn a whole new kind. Ah, well, c'est la vie...

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KrimsonNekros View Post
    Am I the only one who says frell it and just builds to the first idea that come into their head?
    I do often build with my gut reaction, but my gut reaction is usually another PrC idea, which makes Vizzini'ing less likely unless it is very well known or stacks very obviously. I then usually build from there so the base class fullfills both requirements. Then again, there are sometimes rounds when nothing jumps out and you have to force something to work (like in Cipher Adept).
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

WhamBamSam, going through my inbox now with my copy of Complete Warrior beside me.

And to those who've asked me in PMs - yes, the tables look funny. It was a forum update (that was apparently necessary), and they hope to have it fixed soon. The code is correct, so you don't need to worry about that.

EDIT: Look to the FAQs: I added a new question onto there, as there's been questions from multiple competitors concerning it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Finaly having free time and checking on IC.
    Already had few ideas and one that was very much "yes, yes, YES"! It turned to be "wait, this won't work" with a bit of "well, but if I do this then..." and ended up as "so, why am I picking levels in SI again?". Hopefuly I will get some other idea that actualy works before I ran out of time.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistypes.
    Shared silver medal for Nataksukan in Iron Chef LXII - Dungeon Lord.

Big thanks to Bradakhan for awesome avatar.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, question. If some of the build requires a particular item does that get the build knocked down? Even if the character can in fact craft the item? I just don't see any of the previous builds mentioning items anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Huh, question. If some of the build requires a particular item does that get the build knocked down? Even if the character can in fact craft the item? I just don't see any of the previous builds mentioning items anywhere.
    As I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread, reliance on items is generally, but not universally, frowned upon by Iron Chef judges.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129

Awful quiet around these parts...which obviously means everyone is building the same thing as me! Quick, panic!

EDIT: Did we ever determine whether or not the Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting is fair game for this competition? It's got the "Licensed Product" stamp, but I didn't know if that was enough.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-06-25 at 05:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

from the FAQ
    "Materials from Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Kingdoms of Kalamar are considered 3rd party for purposes of this contest, and are therefore not allowed."

Anyway, trying to whip a build and make my first submit, but this SI is a hard one

11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FireJustice View Post
    from the FAQ
    "Materials from Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Kingdoms of Kalamar are considered 3rd party for purposes of this contest, and are therefore not allowed."

Anyway, trying to whip a build and make my first submit, but this SI is a hard one
    Yeah, we know what the FAQs say, but we had a conversation a while back that yielded different results. Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is certainly a prime example, because it bears thw Wizards logo and has Habro copyright info. The last conversation IIRC ended up that if it bore the logo and had Wizards/Hasbro copyright info it would be allowed.
    I am what lurks under your bridge, I am the troll...

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Spoiler: IC Trophies
    Show
    LIV Silver Auric Goldbones
    LVII Bronze Adlib

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Proctor View Post
    Yeah, we know what the FAQs say, but we had a conversation a while back that yielded different results. Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is certainly a prime example, because it bears thw Wizards logo and has Habro copyright info. The last conversation IIRC ended up that if it bore the logo and had Wizards/Hasbro copyright info it would be allowed.
    What about Dragon Magazines?

I know they aren't current available, but would DMs fit into such rules of possible allowance in the future?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Dragon View Post
    What about Dragon Magazines?

I know they aren't current available, but would DMs fit into such rules of possible allowance in the future?
    The ruling on those was pretty clear - no. However, the Dragon Magazine Compendium is fair game.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    The ruling on those was pretty clear - no. However, the Dragon Magazine Compendium is fair game.
    That's the part that stymies me, thought--KoK has just as much licensing clout as the DMC, but one's not allowed and the other is. If that's how we're decided, I'm happy to stick with it, though.
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, I'd rather not see KoK. There is a lot of insanely broken content, even by 3.5 standards. A fourth level spell that is basically a short duration Ice Assassin with no XP or expensive components? Yeah, ok, great idea. A +4 metamagic feat that removes a spell's saving throw? Great idea, guys. How about a first level spell that produces an AMF? And that's just the tip of the iceberg, in just the main book alone. Isn't one of the Kalamar books responsible for the travesty that is the anti-feat?

Third party books just weren't given even the limited scrutiny that first party books received, even if they did get the official stamp from WotC.

Then again, I'm also curmudgeonly and would have preferred to not see the Dragon Compendium allowed, so please feel free to take this all with a grain of salt.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

16. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eh, I'd rather not see KoK. There is a lot of insanely broken content, even by 3.5 standards. A fourth level spell that is basically a short duration Ice Assassin with no XP or expensive components? Yeah, ok, great idea. A +4 metamagic feat that removes a spell's saving throw? Great idea, guys. How about a first level spell that produces an AMF? And that's just the tip of the iceberg, in just the main book alone. Isn't one of the Kalamar books responsible for the travesty that is the anti-feat?

Third party books just weren't given even the limited scrutiny that first party books received, even if they did get the official stamp from WotC.

Then again, I'm also curmudgeonly and would have preferred to not see the Dragon Compendium allowed, so please feel free to take this all with a grain of salt.
    Are you saying you don't love the KoK, cause I'm a serious KoK fiend.
    I am what lurks under your bridge, I am the troll...

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Spoiler: IC Trophies
    Show
    LIV Silver Auric Goldbones
    LVII Bronze Adlib

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

I own two KoK books and enjoy the fluff, but I think a lot of the crunch is really poorly written.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    That's the part that stymies me, thought--KoK has just as much licensing clout as the DMC, but one's not allowed and the other is. If that's how we're decided, I'm happy to stick with it, though.
    According to someone in the fey summoning thread, KoK's licencing came from a legal struggle with WotC, rather than being licensed willingly like DMC and Dragon Magazine. That's something, if it's in fact true. (EDIT: That someone was apparently dysprosium. I was reading the other thread on my phone earlier and didn't have the avatar to go by.)

Anyhow, both of my builds are more or less good to go. Now I've just got to get around to writing them up.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2014-06-25 at 04:11 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned

Devil

As ever, I am in favour of more stuff to use (although I'd prefer Rokugan- or even both, then I can attempt to Rok out with my KoK out).

The presence of broken stuff tends to be self regulating. We don't see abuse of things like UrPriest or other CharOp tricks.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, even someone as staunchly pro-power optimization as me isn't going to give bonus points for a druid build that tags on "Oh yeah, since KoK is now allowed (if it was), Venomfire on a magebred fleshraker."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

As ever, I am in favour of more stuff to use (although I'd prefer Rokugan- or even both, then I can attempt to Rok out with my KoK out).

The presence of broken stuff tends to be self regulating. We don't see abuse of things like UrPriest or other CharOp tricks.
    Eh, the cynical part of me expects that KoK would feel "new" enough that people will want to flex a bit by showing them off - despite the fact that they're not actually new, just largely ignored because of the dubiousness of the source material. And as for broken stuff self-regulating, there have been at least 8 Ur-Priests in Iron Chef, and we've seen everything from infinite stacking of Incarnate/Dustform templates to unfinished ghost savage progressions to Shadowcraft Mage shenanigans to simulacrum abuse, plus a lot more I'm forgetting. I'm not sure we're quite as immune to CharOp tricks as you think.

Not that I'm opposed to CharOp tricks, mind. But the sloppiness of much of KoK's crunch bothers me. For all that I dig on Wizards for sloppy editing or failing to think things through, their stuff is miles ahead of even the best third party options.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

22. - Top - End - #142
    Banned

Devil

I can count two of those that I have done XD.

Infinite strength from incarnate/dustform template stacking was from my second entry, I think, and a build that was rightly tanked for lack of uosi, elegance and, funnily enough, power (all i could so was throw force javelins hard), and originality by some (precisely because they did not expect such Shenanigans for that entry), and i believe one quote was that it 'was everything that IC wasn't', possibly paraphrased.

The Simulacrum abuse, if it was what i'm thinking of was gained from mirror mephit SLA. Being fair, i used Simulacrum to make spies of ordinary commoners rather than getting componentless efreeti under my control).

I like to think I'm a bit less open for cheese - as well as the majority of Ur Priest from what I recall being fairly early on in the Entropomancer, and current judging trends, wouldbsee heavy penalising.

At the end of the day, it is a charop comp, but it doesn't actively do so well with known charop tricks.

I mean look at Old lob. Fantastic as it is, despite the weresnow spider entomanothrope and its theme, its power and elegance would struggle in todays judging.
    Last edited by Vaz; 2014-06-25 at 05:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

You're not the only guilty party on any of those, Vaz - I wasn't trying to call you out in particular. There have been at least two Incarnate/Dustform abusers that I know of, and three or four Simulacrum abusers. Heck, I've got a few offenders in there myself, including Ur-Priest, Fiend of Possession and a nasty little artificer build in the Geomancer competition.

Like I said, I'm not necessarily opposed to cheese in a dish, but it has to be appropriate to the dish itself. To keep the cooking analogy, if I'm making an orecchiette con cime di rapa, some freshly grated romano can help bind the sauce and add an extra savory note to the dish, while throwing a bunch of cheddar on top with nothing to tie it to the dish in question will be kind of gross despite the fact that I happen to like cheddar.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    According to someone in the fey summoning thread, KoK's licencing came from a legal struggle with WotC, rather than being licensed willingly like DMC and Dragon Magazine. That's something, if it's in fact true. (EDIT: That someone was apparently dysprosium. I was reading the other thread on my phone earlier and didn't have the avatar to go by.)
    It was part of a legal settlement, so WotC was willing to settle with Kenzer & Co. David Kenzer actually had them dead to rights and was doing them a favor by letting them off so easy. As far as I am aware, both parties were very amicable about the settlement, and Kenzer was able to turn Hackmaster from a running gag into an actual full-blown RPG.

The problem with Kalamar is that although they have the 1st party logo and the legal rights to it, the actual book was printed by Kenzer & Co. and WotC had very little (if any) editorial control over the content. If your IC criteria is 1) must have 1st party logo and 2) must be printed by WotC, then Dragon Compendium satisfies both, while Kalamar falls short on #2.

25. - Top - End - #145

NecromancerGuy

I mean look at Old lob. Fantastic as it is, despite the weresnow spider entomanothrope and its theme, its power and elegance would struggle in todays judging.
    The observation that previously celebrated builds would do poorly within current scoring rubrics was made (by me) a couple of years ago, as I recall.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I'm gonna have to drop out of this one. I've only found a few interesting mechanical exploits, Spellsword doesn't easily lend itself to a particular mindset (which is how I figure out what kind of character would take it), the stubs I've come up with are boring and predictable, and the Spellsword is a terrible gish class with one redeeming feature (Channel Spell) that's too limited in uses/day to be killer.

Gah! I don't like the Spellsword. I hope someone else found something enjoyable to do with it, at least.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeren View Post
    Yeah, even someone as staunchly pro-power optimization as me isn't going to give bonus points for a druid build that tags on "Oh yeah, since KoK is now allowed (if it was), Venomfire on a magebred fleshraker."
    Venomfire is in Serpent Kingdoms. It could totally appear in any given IC round. Or did you mean there's something in KoK that lets you use templated animal companions?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    It was part of a legal settlement, so WotC was willing to settle with Kenzer & Co. David Kenzer actually had them dead to rights and was doing them a favor by letting them off so easy. As far as I am aware, both parties were very amicable about the settlement, and Kenzer was able to turn Hackmaster from a running gag into an actual full-blown RPG.

The problem with Kalamar is that although they have the 1st party logo and the legal rights to it, the actual book was printed by Kenzer & Co. and WotC had very little (if any) editorial control over the content. If your IC criteria is 1) must have 1st party logo and 2) must be printed by WotC, then Dragon Compendium satisfies both, while Kalamar falls short on #2.
    Ah. That's an informative explanation, and a pretty reasonable one. Thank you.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

I just pmed a character for this challenge.

Reliance of special sites to get feats. Is that frowned upon aswell? Because then I'm gonna change the character abit so it doesnt rely on it.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    I just pmed a character for this challenge.

Reliance of special sites to get feats. Is that frowned upon aswell? Because then I'm gonna change the character abit so it doesnt rely on it.
    Depends on the judge. Some have penalized it, under the justification that they're not available in all campaigns. Others don't mind, as long as you're not doing something cheesy like jumping in an Otyugh Hole, chaos shuffling the feat away, and repeating the process indefinitely.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Depends on the judge. Some have penalized it, under the justification that they're not available in all campaigns. Others don't mind, as long as you're not doing something cheesy like jumping in an Otyugh Hole, chaos shuffling the feat away, and repeating the process indefinitely.
    alright then I should be okay.
    Last edited by Wacky89; 2014-06-26 at 05:04 AM.