New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0401-#0500]) [Semi #1]

Welcome to The Stick Awards II: Second Edition!

The Stick Awards are handed out to the best strips of all time as chosen by our fellow Playgrounders.

Over the next few days, we're taking a bit of a break and entering The Best of the Hundred Tournament for Comics #401 - #500 as we take the time to decide which of the strips really are the best of best.

For full details about the Stick Awards, and any questions about them, please check out the main thread here.

To read more about the original Stick Awards, created by Nazzo, the 102nd, please read his thread here.

To vote in this thread, simply state which comic of the five listed is your favorite. Bolding the number of the comic (Like this) helps it stand out.

Voting, which only lasts five days during the Best of the Hundred Tournament will close on July 21st, 4pm EDT. Any votes made after that will NOT count toward the totals.

The winner of this semi-final will go on to the finals which will be held after the second semi-final is done. The two strips that get the most votes during the semis that DIDN'T win, will also reach the finals. So voting is extra special important this time around, as it will determine who the 'Wild Card' entrants are.

Last week, 496 Responsible made almost the entire forum go "Daaaaawwwwww". Nothing else really needs to be said, I think.

Each of the five below have triumphed where others have failed. But life is nothing but a seemingly never ending series of challenges. So is it for us, so to is it for the entrants in.....

................THE STICK AWARDS II:
    BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT (401-500)
    ..............(Semi-Final #1)

Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0401-#0500]) [Semi #1]

Well, this one will be daily easy, certainly easier than the next semifinal. The only ones I voted for here are #406 and #449. #428 and #435 are pretty good, but not my favorite, and I don't see the appeal of #419 at all, I'm afraid. I think #449, while a good strip, just can't compare to #406!

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Kind of a tough choice, there's like five good strips there. I suppose that's what happens when we get to a semifinal with five options to choose from

But ultimately, 406 gets my vote. It's got such a large density of awesome to it.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

As much as I love 406 and 428, i believe that 449 is a step ahead.
    Ghost martyrs FTW!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

449fgshfbsdhfbsdkfbsvbcxmnvbxcmnvs
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

428 or 435?
    But from what I feel of this forum's trend, they won't have much liking. I'm saving my vote for the last times of the poll to see if I manage to turn it really aimed then.
    Was vernünftig ist, das ist wirklich; und was wirklich ist, das ist vernünftig. (G.W.F.H.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Though I found 448 much more powerful, 449 still packs a wallop.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

whoosh is really cool and all, but there's no way I'm not going with 449!
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ugh, I don't know. I just don't know.

All but #419 are really good (I don't know how that one snuck in here). It comes down to 406 and 449 for me, but they're powerful in such different ways that they aren't really comparable, IMO.

I think I'm going to go with 406: A Moment of Truth. The buildup is longer, and that's an important factor.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

I won't be sad if 449 takes it, though, as I like that strip quite a bit too. However, Miko's personal crisis is ultimately more character defining then Lord Soon's beyond the grave backup plan.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

449 it is.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

NinjaGuy

Huh, another semi. These do seem to go fast ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

#449 is my personal winner already.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2014-07-17 at 01:22 AM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

confused Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0401-#0500]) [Semi #1]

Because the best half-century comic isn't in the treason, the fallen, Belkar's conscience or the ghost-martyrs.
    It's in the Burlew's palm all along.
    #0428: It Takes A Thief
    But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disembowelling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.
    I know that sometimes, the hero has to play baccarat with the enemy, even though logically it would make more sense for them to just be trying to kill each other. What I don't know is how to play baccarat.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

435 for Belkars concience devils and broken angel.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Just about everybody is voting for the two big drama strips. I can't say they are my favorites [& 406 is inferior to 407 on that score anyway]. So vote for one I like? or the winner? Well, the other three are all nice, but they are all merely above average. So I guess selecting the least worst of the two "winners" will have to do.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

#0406 for me.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    428 or 435?
    But from what I feel of this forum's trend, they won't have much liking. I'm saving my vote for the last times of the poll to see if I manage to turn it really aimed then.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    Just about everybody is voting for the two big drama strips. I can't say they are my favorites [& 406 is inferior to 407 on that score anyway]. So vote for one I like? or the winner? Well, the other three are all nice, but they are all merely above average. So I guess selecting the least worst of the two "winners" will have to do.
    Just a reminder that we have wildcards in the Best of the Hundred. That is, the two strips through both semis that don't win but still get the most votes, move on.

So if there is a strip that not winning currently, it can still get to the finals by getting people to vote for it.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueWizardGirl

It definitely comes down to 406 and 449. I'm choosing 449.

20. - Top - End - #20

#449: Land of the Rising... is, for me, the best of this selection by quite a bit (with the exception of #406), so that's what I'll be putting in my vote for this round.

Coincidentally, both scenes take place in the Azure City throne room.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm going to go with 449.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Going with 449.

23. - Top - End - #23

406. 449 has a really nice ending, but 406 is stronger overall.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Somehow I had the feeling that some of them had a lot more "oomph" while reading it in context.

I'm just going to vote for 435 - Amoral Dilemma centering on everyone's favorite halfling

Why isn't he jolly?
    WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY???

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

406 !!!

449 is good but not so good :p

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

449 all the way. 428 would otherwise be my pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorteld View Post
    I'm sorry if this is showing a complete lack of respect for the gravity of the situation, but...

AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

That was priceless.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

435 isn't getting enough love here, IMO, as it really is a classic. And I'm tempted to throw it a tactical vote to give it a greater chance to getting into the finals. But I just can't pull the trigger on it. Hypocritical, I know. I think I will throw my vote today behind 449. It's just so... perfect, really. Enough so that it overcomes the OMGWTFBBQ!1!elventy-one! factor of 406. It'll be interesting to see how this battle plays out, especially when it is joined by the other semi-finalists.

And with that.....

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

449 - Land of the Rising... is the winner of this semi-final! It now moves on to the finals for the Best of the Hundred tournament (401-500).

406 - A Moment of Truth is currently holding down Wild Card spot #1 with 8 votes and 435 - Amoral Dilemma is currently holding down Wild Card spot #2 with 2 votes.

Full Results are as follows:

.............THE STICK AWARDS II:
    ..BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT
    ......... (401-500 | Semi-Final #1)

Comic Number Votes Received Vote Percentage

Please join us as we continue the Best of the Hundred tournament, in this thread here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-07-21 at 03:01 PM.