New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #959 - The Discussion Thread

Always fun to see characters talk.

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    - There must be at least two female characters...
    - ... who talk to each other...
    - ... about something other than a man.
    Some people add that the two characters must be named, though whether in the credits or in dialog alone helps show potential problems with that addition, and it should be remembered that this test does not serve as a gauge sexism, feminism, or really of anything more than exactly what it says it does. Some people tend to misinterpret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhaic View Post
    So...is this a hint at future merchandise?

Edit: The Bechdel Test makes me want to write something horrifyingly, eye-gougingly sexist with a 100% Bechdel Test pass rate for every scene.
    I'd like action figures too.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    So is Bandanna the first unambiguously gay named character in the comic?
    Not quite, and do we know if she's definitely not Bi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Spoiler: Haleo and Julelan "spoiler"
    Show
    Phil Rodriguez the lawyer
    Huh.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2014-07-25 at 01:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #959 - The Discussion Thread

Nice comic. I always admired that the cast was ethnetically diverse from the beginning, and I'm happy to see, that now the diversity in female characters is broadened, too.
    But I think that action figure bit isn't rigth, normally you're lucky, when you get even one figure of an female character (At least in a series aimed at an boys'/generals audience - and OOTS does look like it goes more this way.) Dolls (for a girls' series) on the other hand...
    Last edited by butterbow; 2014-07-25 at 01:30 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nibelung View Post
    Somehow, knowing Bandana's mother is a blonde, make me think if Julio giving her the captain position is not simply heritage.

And yes, I want to buy action figures of OotS as well. Will we have a kickstarter for it?

Spoiler: Bechdel Test stuff, to avoid derailing
    Show

The Bechdel Test is not a test to see if the artwork is favorable to gender equality. Neither a test to check its quality. Or even its association on gender issues.

Just that it has women represented. The women in question can be as bad or as good as a character than any other in the work. Or the work itself.

If the test sounds to you like a pretty easy standard to meet, it is. That's the whole point: To shock you that too many loved movies and series fail on this simple test.
    I am probably annoying you for going with the derail, but I do thank you for the clarification.

So, in a nutshell, the Bechdel Test is purposefully an arguably stupid test, but it is designed to be a stupid test with the express purpose that the bar is so obviously low that it is mind-boggling how little material passes. Thus (more or less) proving that that any non-low bar asking female characters to be treated seriously would fail nearly everything in the popular culture.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

In regards to the title of today's strip, I gotta say, I never meta commentary I didn't like.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Just as an aside - the Bechdel test is an intentionally low bar. The point of it is to show that it's a really low standard, and most movies still can't pass it. Heck, the example used to pass it was Alien. It's a useful test to make a point, but anyone who thinks it's the be-all end-all of gender representation tests is misusing it.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Ah, rather sad to see modern-day politics invading a D&D comic. Oh well, I guess it had to happen eventually. As long as the characters don't start quoting Marx and engaging in contrived, inflammatory storylines carefully calculated to score points in contemporary political debates (topics that will be outdated in six months), we'll just have to live with it.
    Modern-day politics like what? (also you do realize this is fantasy right?)
    Last edited by Astrella; 2014-07-25 at 01:41 AM.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Ah, rather sad to see modern-day politics invading a D&D comic. Oh well, I guess it had to happen eventually. As long as the characters don't start quoting Marx and engaging in contrived, inflammatory storylines carefully calculated to score points in contemporary political debates (topics that will be outdated in six months), we'll just have to live with it.
    OOTS is a story built largely on parodying, deconstructing and commenting on tropes in fantasy stories. There are a variety of tropes related to gender. If anything, OOTS not poking fun at it would be weird.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    In regards to the title of today's strip, I gotta say, I never meta commentary I didn't like.
    Nice! :D

this message is too short

9. - Top - End - #39

Feels a bit forced.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Considering what's going on in 5e right now, and Rich's approving comments therein, I'd say things like what happened into today's strip is very appropriate. And waaaaaay past due for DnD as a whole*.

Really really REALLY hope Lewis's Law doesn't have to get invoked soon, but I'm doubtful.

* Not that a lot of DnD tables didn't already address this at various points along the lines. Just commenting on the current news in regards to 5e.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-07-25 at 01:50 AM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

Haley failed a sense motives roll against Bandanda. Bandanda is turning out to be a good character, though

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #959 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.

Kind regards

13. - Top - End - #43

There are no references to real-world politics in the strip, beyond what the reader invents for themselves.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As for the comic proper, I loved the interaction between the Bandana and Haley. Also loved how her character was fleshed out rather quickly.

Alright, alright, I also loved the action figures*. Yes, I'm shallow. I admit it. There. Fine. Happy? You are? Good.

* Incuding the fact that the actual action figures were cheapish knockoffs that didn't really look all that much like Haley. Great, often overlooked touch there. And so so true.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-07-25 at 01:57 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

This episode brought to you by Tumblr.

Yeah I don't know. There's nothing I dislike about this strip individually, but it feels like Writers' Hand / Very Special Episode. A couple good jokes and character development for Bandanna, both good. But it feels inorganic, like the strip had a job to do besides letting the story play out.
    I don't actually play D&D. I do play:

Magic: the Gathering Online (with FREE tournaments at Gatherling)
    DC Universe, my surprisingly good CoH replacement
    Planetside 2, MMO-meets-FPS (and the first shooter I've liked in ages).
    Simunomics - a massive multiplayer Business Simulation Game. Browser-based, free to play.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Amarsir View Post
    But it feels inorganic, like the strip had a job to do besides letting the story play out.
    There's a quote from Rich about how comics should be relevant in the real world; "otherwise, it's just pure escapism." In other words, every strip has a job to do.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    I am probably annoying you for going with the derail, but I do thank you for the clarification.

So, in a nutshell, the Bechdel Test is purposefully an arguably stupid test, but it is designed to be a stupid test with the express purpose that the bar is so obviously low that it is mind-boggling how little material passes. Thus (more or less proving) that that any non-low bar asking female characters to be treated seriously would fail nearly everything in the popular culture.
    To be fair, it was designed to be the setpiece for a punchline in a comic made in 1985. It was never meant to be taken seriously by itself. It is a case of a joke making you thinking about the real world.

That is exactly the reason why the test don't mean much by itself, other than shock value. Heck, current movies pass on the test about half the time. It is like a trivia you mention to people. Like, "Hey, did you know that Lord of the Rings never had two women talking to each other?"

18. - Top - End - #48

Griffon

Heh.. This strip was amusing.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amarsir View Post
    This episode brought to you by Tumblr.
    A-heh. If you think this was even slightly SJW, I think you need to read more Tumblr.

Or not, as the case may be.*

* NOTE: There is a LOT of great stuff on Tumblr. And a lot of very needed commentary. There is also, frankly, a lot of things that prove Sturgeon knew what he was talking about way back when.** But I think that's about all I can really say without getting too close to board rules, so I'll leave my commentary at that.

** Which, come to think about it, makes it just about like every other communication platform known to humankind.
    Yeah I don't know. There's nothing I dislike about this strip individually, but it feels like Writers' Hand / Very Special Episode. A couple good jokes and character development for Bandanna, both good. But it feels inorganic, like the strip had a job to do besides letting the story play out.
    Really? What felt forced? I didn't see anything particualrly Very Special Episodeish here at all. If you're referring to the last panel of the comic, Rich has self-deprecating gags/comments like this. ALL. THE. TIME.

Don't make me go trawling through the comic to point them out, coz I'd have to go to sleep eventually.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-07-25 at 02:08 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

ElfRangerGuy

It's been what, a day! Did you get it finished unexpectedly and ludicrously early? And it's even a longer one. Kudos for that Giant.

Little humorous banter, setting character relationship, great set up for later in the comic.
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by With a box View Post
    I don't think that Banana has more level then 10. do Haley might win.
    Hehehe, Banana. Reminds me of that one picture which got deleted where someone had swapped Bandana out with a banana in a panel :p

Could be bi or pan, or a weird Tumblr sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by butterbow View Post
    -snip-
    Your avatar is adorable!

-

Personally, while I also found the last bit to be really forced, I didn't think it was about feminism in general but about the Giant admitting the sexist jokes were a bad idea and mocking himself and trying to show he's changed. The thing is, I found them just as funny as everything else, and I think him limiting the insults the characters used removed quite a bit of verisimilitude. Other than the forced part at the end, though, I liked it. Bandana and Haley are adorable together!
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
    Does her action figures bust seem bigger than her stick figures?

Just me?
    No, no it isn't just you. I just noticed that myself. I figure it is a subtle swipe at the how some action figures can be, shall we say, not exactly representative of the person in question. I had already noted the Uncanny Valley aspect of the action figure, but that particular little Take That, I hadn't noticed until just now.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-07-25 at 02:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seems a bit forced to me, like there was a bit too much put into one page. Otherwise, I'm not complaining here. Action figure bit was funny, too.

Still, first obviously lesbian/bi named character is a pirate? A sympathetic pirate, but still...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Good to see Haley and Bandana bonding. I enjoyed the action-figures gag (you managed to make them look just fake enough for them to look like action figures. I think that's spot-on, they're not just tiny lifelike versions) and the exposition about the armour change as well as the gnomes... basically the whole page seemed like it was advancing the plot, providing character development, filling gaps from the between-books shift, and it was also pretty funny.
    And a complete surprise as I didn't expect a new page to begin with :)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

It never occurred to me that Bandana is female.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

OK, I'm seeing a lot of commentary here about there being 'forced' dialogue in the strip, and I gotta say after re-reading it and re-reading it some more, I just don't see it.

Anywhere.

The only thing that looks even slightly forced is Haley talking about giving leadership advice to Bandana semi-out of the blue. But you know what? I read that has Haley being a Presumptuous PC. That is, not too long ago (for her, at any rate), she went through an experience as being a leader of a party and she hated it. But since she's seen the ropes, she figured she could tell the 'newbie' (who, of course, isn't a newbie at all) what to look out for.

In other words, she's got a good case of Roy Disease (he really can be the poster child of Presumptuous PC in the party at times).

That it then (sorta) blew up in her face as the NPC told her, "Nah, it's all good" is even MORE Roy like, IMO.

So, yeah, just not seeing it at all. At most, it is showing a bit more of a character facet with Haley. That is, the character facet of Haley caring more about people around her and not just herself (and her immediate family).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-07-25 at 03:09 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Spamalot in the Playground

Heaven forbid a few important social issues should intrude upon the petty escapism, right?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Today's strip gave me a much needed case of The Warm Fuzzies. ^_^

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nonamearisto View Post
    Still, first obviously lesbian/bi named character is a pirate? A sympathetic pirate, but still...
    I think you need to have a word with Haley's Latent Bisexuality.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2014-07-25 at 03:14 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nibelung View Post
    Somehow, knowing Bandana's mother is a blonde, make me think if Julio giving her the captain position is not simply heritage.
    Bandana is certainly of darker complexion than Julio. So I'd rather expect the steersman to be her father than Julio.

Besides, do we know her ex?