New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Banned

smile Re: LGBTAI+ #52: Aces High

Quote Originally Posted by Mono Vertigo View Post
    Along the same lines, there's a hidden camera show called "Cam Clash" in France that tests the reaction of bystanders toward acts of sexism/racism/harassment/etc, where the aggressor and the victims are both actors. In one episode, there was a (fake) gay couple, and a (fake) homophobic server at a cafe. When the server starts insulting the couple or "merely" tells them to stop flaunting their sexuality and kissing (they generally experiment with different degrees of aggression), there are quite a few bystanders who speak up against the server. In the one sequence shown where the clients agreed with the server (when he was not straight-out insulting but wanting them to stop "showing off"), they explained they would have disapproved equally of a straight couple that had acted this way. (Whether this is a lie or a conservative view about demonstrations of love in public, is probably going to stay a mystery, but I'm at least glad they came up with an internally rational reply rather than "gays are icky".)
    No idea how many people react to each of these scenes, but they generally make me feel a bit better about humanity. (Don't think too hard about the reactions you'd get somewhere than in [what I assume to be] Paris, though. We don't need confirmation that people can be terrible.)
    Those are all fun shows. I saw one that was heartening at the end; it was a routine run of a homeless man brought in by a lady in a business suit. She put $20 on the counter and told the server to get the guy whatever he wanted.

One of the guys was giving the bum a hard time, making jokes with the server about thaw smell and the cleanliness standards of the place. The server then tried to kick the bum out; when the bum asked about the money, he was told "thats not your money" and the guy at the bar, who was joining in on picking on the bum, got defensive real fast. That's his money; he gets his good; he's a customer; get off his back.

Turns out he had real strong feelings on homelessness because he spent a few years on the road without a roof or a job. He was making jokes because if you vacant laugh at your situation you won't make it, and if you get too comfortable being a bum you won't make it. You need an outrage, a fire in your belly. But no way on god's green earth would he let someone impinge on another's human rights and he would definitely step up to bat for someone. That was nice to see; an honest jerkwads with a heart of gold.

They also had one of a guy who came back to his home town and went to his favorite diner, to find out that the familiar server, Dana, was his old highschool buddy Daniel. I have never seen an elder get so righteously angry as when he's shouting down a twenty something business exec for trading his soul and scruples for money. Not a single person in that whole twenty minute stretch stops by for more than a few transphobic quips, and one guy actually started to drag the suited actor out for a "an exchange of words" before the cameraman ran up and stopped him.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAI+ #52: Aces High

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I have never seen an elder get so righteously angry as when he's shouting down a twenty something business exec for trading his soul and scruples for money. Not a single person in that whole twenty minute stretch stops by for more than a few transphobic quips, and one guy actually started to drag the suited actor out for a "an exchange of words" before the cameraman ran up and stopped him.
    I'm having trouble figuring out which of these are bad or good. I think the elderly shouting one is good, but I can't really be sure. I'm on the fence about the last one. The middle one is just bad. Should I be disheartened/disillusioned/pissed off or mildly happy about the whole thing?
    vape naesh

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycemonde View Post
    I'm having trouble figuring out which of these are bad or good. I think the elderly shouting one is good, but I can't really be sure. I'm on the fence about the last one. The middle one is just bad. Should I be disheartened/disillusioned/pissed off or mildly happy about the whole thing?
    From what I'm getting, they had a (maybe actress?) transwoman waitress, an actor playing the part of a transphobic business man, and then the reactions were: an elderly man chewing the actor out for 20m, a few incidental transphobic comments by people not aware of the acting part, and one person who wished to (I guess) beat the stuffing out of the actor.
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Troll in the Playground

Bluh, so Southpark is going to have another transphobic episode, this time one that ****s on trans kids. We really needed more of that, right... :/
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Bluh, so Southpark is going to have another transphobic episode, this time one that ****s on trans kids. We really needed more of that, right... :/
    I believe that South Park is one of the worst American creations ever when it comes to comedy TV shows, especially an animated comedy TV show. This is made worse by the fact that last I checked, South Park was in the Guinness Book World Records most swearing and vulgarity it in an animated show.

The world would be a better place without this show... admittingly I'm a frustrated with most comedy nowadays

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Bugbear in the Playground

but GUYS, don't you UNDERSTAND, like, FREEDOM OF SPEECH, which totally means that you can joke about absolutely anything at all as tactlessly as you like no matter how sensitive a subject it is, and if somebody gets offended by it, then it's they're own fault and they need to be less sensitive and political correctness is destroying liberty and why am i not allowed to be a **** to people anymore for cheap laughs and i'm so oppressed by the pc police
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ettin in the Playground

The South Park episode was good. It ripped on people who claim to be something just for special snowflake treatment. The message at the end was to just let people use whatever bathroom they want.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2014-10-09 at 03:02 AM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycemonde View Post
    Poor presentation on my part.

The show is a pre scripted scenario between two actors, to catch the reactions of people who don't know it's staged. The actress wrote the scenario to explore transphobic because she wanted the world to know more about her and what she has and will continue to be put through.

A man old enough to have all sorts of unfortunate prejudices wouldn't hear anything about this young lady being mocked, regardless of how long she had been a young lady.

Several people laughed nervously and ignored at most two snide comments from jerk!actor before telling him to knock it off, she can be who she wants to be. And this is the important one to me, because that's what is the real issue; the amount of "haha okay I'm gonna ignore that" which normal people face uncomfortable issues.

I know it's selection bias – they picked the best clips – but a series of encounter which demonstrate people are in general far more tolerant and even considerate than I expect is a good message to have every now and then.

I'm fully capable of defending myself, but it's nice to know that sometimes humans will respond to other humans in distress by helping.

Bluh, so Southpark
    That trope still exists?

Quote Originally Posted by JonathonWilder View Post
    I believe that South Park is one of the worst American creations ever when it comes to comedy TV shows, especially an animated comedy TV show. This is made worse by the fact that last I checked, South Park was in the Guinness Book World Records most swearing and vulgarity it in an animated show.

The world would be a better place without this show... admittingly I'm a frustrated with most comedy nowadays
    Isn't south park Canadian?

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe they've evolved on the issue? I mean, they were a little ahead of the curve on gay issues?

*not hopeful*
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isn't south park Canadian?
    No, it is an US-American production. Made Comedy Central big.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

sigh Re: LGBTAI+ #52: Aces High

Poor presentation on my part.
    The homeless one
    The trans one(I think, doesn't wholly match your description)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Titan in the Playground

Someone tell me it would be wrong to hook up with a friend who I have no romantic future with just to get some human touch, please. I do not do one night stands well (the one time I tried was disastrous) and I'm starting to get desperate...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Someone tell me it would be wrong to hook up with a friend who I have no romantic future with just to get some human touch, please. I do not do one night stands well (the one time I tried was disastrous) and I'm starting to get desperate...
    Yeah, that's probably not a great idea and it's good that you recognize it. And unless "human touch" is a euphemism for something rather more intimate, I've never had a friend who wouldn't begrudge me a hug or two if I were in a bad place. It can't hurt to ask?

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    No, it is an US-American production. Made Comedy Central big.
    Ouch. Oh well. We can't always be best country.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    The homeless one
    The trans one(I think, doesn't wholly match your description)
    Huh. My memory of that is terrible. It's not the whole, or I'm mixing things together; I thought she was black. Faulty recall.

Good find though!

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Barbarian in the Playground

Had my first visit to the therapist today. He seemed to be "on my side" (although I'm sure when my parents talk to him he seems to be on theirs.)

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah that is kind of a thing for therapists.

Well I wasn't brave enough to tell my dad. And although I still can not much time is left. But I will be alone for several hours Saturday and will be able to dress up a little. Mostly the same outfit but I will have a hat. So I might try and take another picture.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ettin in the Playground

If you don't do one night stands well, don't. Ask for a cuddle buddy or something if you want. Cuddles are wonderful. (I miss having somebody for cuddles)
    LGBTA+itP

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Cuddles are wonderful.
    I second it.

-----

There's this Nestle ad near my home:

Spoiler: Nesquik+Kosmostars Shipping
    Show

For some reason, it always makes me smile. They sure look happy together.
    Last edited by Sobol; 2014-10-10 at 02:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Troll in the Playground

I'm late already. What the hell. I need to get this off. Apologies for the bother. And the terseness and fragmented structure of this, this tripe...

Spoiler: Trigger warning: trans-issues, family troubles
    Show

Had (have?) another bout of hostilities with the mother. She scrounged about and raided my stash again, disappeared my bra, going all "You're hurting ME, don't do this to yourself, that's not right..." Her latest trigger was seeing some redness on my face, post-shave. Writing honest, forthright letters to her only prove to be a temporary ceasefire. As do "I love you"s and ice cream or whatever peace offerings.

You know what I held myself back from answering? "You've been hurting me ever since I first expressed queerness as a young boy and you shot me down and I so thoroughly self-repressed ever since. That was my first experience at receiving rage, from you, O loving and caring mother, not from our hardened, stern, hair trigger rage father who you can at least depend on during crises."

Been holding myself back all these years, for the sake of the family peace and order, for the greater good. Also, I don't want to be a villain. It's an astronomical chance that my father'd take a coming out well, but it's nigh certain that it would rebound harshly upon her.

I don't want that to happen. Despite everything, I still love her, them, and aside from her being a bigot she IS, they ARE, good people. [Hilarious, her face, watching a variety comedy show and one of the hosts is queer and her mouth is laughing but her brow is all damn furrowed.] I don't like hurting people, not one bit. Even back when I was regularly bullied at school [not for queerness, was still very much in the closet then, but for simply being different] and had to bloodily defend myself... I remember necks, joints, blood on my hands, with a sick mix of satisfaction and sheer horror. Even years after those times, even simply being wary against goons on my daily commutes, though ready and able to defend, I don't essentially want to hurt people.

Another thing I held myself back from answering her, "You ask me what I'm doing with my life, you ask me why nothing's happening? Just because you don't see something, doesn't mean it's not there. You of little faith. Your being like that is what makes me NOT CARE. About school and work and life. You're the one who saps my hope and motivation. You're the one who strangles my inspiration. Every time that you go off like that, you make me feel worthless. Suicidal. Homicidal. Omnicidal. Nihilistic."

BLAH. My ingrained sense of discipline, duty, defiance, honour and survival instinct prevent any of that nastiness from getting out, though. Heh, don't worry, guys! Hah.

Who the hell WINCES when their mother says "I love you"?

It's not serious. Or, I don't think, or I hope it's not THAT serious. Hopefully. Honestly, feels damn crappy.

Life goes on. Feed the animals, practice martial arts. Keep in touch with friends, keep playing PbPs. Keep on reading, keep on writing. I will finish this damn Master's degree. I will get damn motivated, get a damn job, preferably in education. And I will get OUT.

Postscript joke-but-true: They take any mention of my "getting out" as an insult, along the lines of "What? WHY? Why are you so keen on leaving us? What did we ever do to you that you're in such a hurry?" ~shrug~ Albeit, only child, so, they need somebody to take care of them. Eventually. But whaddaheck, of course, it's family! If there's trouble, of course, I'll be there.

Thank you for listening.

Be well, y'all! Take care.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2014-10-10 at 06:34 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sobol View Post

Show

Must... Not... Make "bear" joke...
    Really though, it is cute. But... I might be a bit biased on that. And no, not because I like Nesquik (never even tried it).

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Yeah that is kind of a thing for therapists.

Well I wasn't brave enough to tell my dad. And although I still can not much time is left. But I will be alone for several hours Saturday and will be able to dress up a little. Mostly the same outfit but I will have a hat. So I might try and take another picture.
    Sorry to hear that, Grytorm. Hang in there. Hope. Persevere. The time will come.

Don't worry. And that's great! Speaking of great, I'm sure you'll look great. Because you're beautiful. Please, don't forget that.
    Be sure to hide your stash WELL. I know I was hit by that error more than once.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Titan in the Playground

Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miraqariftsky View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Grytorm. Hang in there. Hope. Persevere. The time will come.

Don't worry. And that's great! Speaking of great, I'm sure you'll look great. Because you're beautiful. Please, don't forget that.
    Be sure to hide your stash WELL. I know I was hit by that error more than once.
    Thank you. Even if you have only seen one kind of poor quality picture of me. And because my things are a bit limited at the moment hiding them isn't to difficult.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Titan in the Playground

This was just posted up in the demotivator thread in RP, but I thought its worth sharing in here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Spoiler: Fanfics: Every tale starts SOMEWHERE
    Show

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Troll in the Playground

In fairness to South Park, they're first goal seems to be to make everything look bad, followed by any message. With that kinda format, it can be hard to tell if offending a group is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobol View Post

Show

Well...that's a thing.

@Miraqariftsky Good luck to you. I can feel you on some of those things, but don't know what to say to help.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    This was just posted up in the demotivator thread in RP, but I thought its worth sharing in here too.
    I saw that. Pretty neat little story idea.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    So, D&D romance is covered by a die roll?

"I want to avoid the cliché misunderstanding."
    "Ok, roll 1d20 and add your Cheesy Romcom modifier to the result."
    Knitting my way through life, one purl of wisdom at a time.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusFabrius View Post

I want that to be a thing now.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Firbolg in the Playground

In fairness to South Park, they're first goal seems to be to make everything look bad, followed by any message. With that kinda format, it can be hard to tell if offending a group is intended.
    I always thought their first goal was to offend everybody so they could claim they weren't prejudiced.
    Jude P.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusFabrius View Post

It can be. Depends on how you interpret critical fails on attack rolls though.

And now for the clichéd d&d sex joke:

Roll for initiative.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!