New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Seas of Change

1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Seas of Change

The Docks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Kel looks at Kaiden with complete and total sincerity. "I care about everyone. I would not risk others, leading them into a dangerous battle. I can do it alone."
    Kaiden... gapes. He is dumbfounded. He stops, and only barely catches himself from dropping everything and letting rain pour onto everyone.
    "That... that is not how caring about people works. Not how it should work. I.... self-sacrifice, fine. But not senselessly. Do not... toss yourself into death just for the sake of dying in battle! You have been given the tools to achieve more than dying in battle, alone, for the sake of... Augh."

You were right, Aiden. You were entirely right, even more right than usual. He's just a madman who wants to die in a way that makes him feel good, isn't he?

Kaiden gathers his breath, and makes the same argument outside of his own head.
    "What you have told me makes me think: This is not a hero. This is a man who only wants to look like a hero. He has heard of a heroic death, but he has not understood it. Tell me why I should think something else."
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2014-08-03 at 05:40 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

The Docks

Kel frowns, confused. "Who said anything about senseless death? That's why I'm out here, to expand my power so I will in. So that I will always win, against anything. I have no intention of dying, I need to survive so I may continue protecting others."
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

The Docks
    Kel frowns, confused. "Who said anything about senseless death? That's why I'm out here, to expand my power so I will in. So that I will always win, against anything. I have no intention of dying, I need to survive so I may continue protecting others."
    "I... ... Egh. Alright."
    "Firstly, I don't think there is so perfect a power. But!"
    "If there could be, you do not have it yet, yes? But people suffer now. Thorns, Skullstone, Lintha... Coral, even, or poverty."
    "If you let those people help you, then you can achieve goals - make people happier, safer, more prosperous - sooner, and prevent suffering they would otherwise have had to endure or fall before when you... were not there yet. Does that make sense, at least, for why seeking to do everything alone and relying upon simply 'not losing' is not enough?"

How has he not simply been scammed out of that armor yet? Kaiden does not say. At first, he wanted to look at the armor. Then, he felt simply confused. Now he has passed out the other side into some sort of strange curiosity - how does someone believe this? Why?
    At least it's certainly more interesting than walking along alone in the rain would have been.
    Show
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

The Docks

"I...don't think it's my place to direct human society, people should make choices for themselves. Who am I to tell others what's right and wrong?"
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2014-08-03 at 07:34 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

The Docks

"I...don't think it's my place to direct human society, people should make choices for themselves. Who am I to tell others what's right and wrong?"
    Vo, hood up and arm tucked around Jin's, smiles just a little.
    Of course it's not your place, dearie. It'll be Jin's, once he's gotten all the kinks worked out.

She is silent for now, just watching the conversation, though she has to admit it is getting a bit... long.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Docks

Jin rounds on Kaiden aggressively as he walks beside Kel. "Yeah, exactly!" he joins in with the armored man's argument. "Nobody should get to tell people to go to their deaths in battle if it's not their choice! And for your information," he continues, hardly realizing the foolishness of saying so to a Dragon-blooded, even an exiled one, "there is a power that'll let a man face the dangers of Creation on his own and come out on top--I know that better than most!" He flashes Kel a sidelong grin and a knowing wink before falling back into step with Vo.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

"And that, sir," she says happily, "was a most excellent move to gain the advantage. I had been expecting a calm and noncommittal response, which would force me to continue explaining how little I knew. But I'm afraid, Quicksilver Falcon, that your first deduction was in error. Your analyses of me are of course correct; I am a former patrician official of the Realm, and I do have both acute hearing and a disguise."

She smiles faintly. "But while I am here for a reason, it is not to make use of you. It is to determine if you are a dangerous criminal who has evaded justice, or an upright citizen in need of aid against the manifold threats to this city and to his life. If the latter is true, I will offer you all the aid I can provide until such time as another, more urgent, task calls. If the former, I am here to kill you. The same, naturally, goes for all others of like power in Paraia."

She casually lifts her hair for a moment to show the fringe of spikes by her ear.

"And, to place my cards on the table, I have more than a little interest in another Anathema myself."

Spoiler
    Show
    And all of this is true.
    Last edited by Aevylmar; 2014-08-03 at 12:57 PM.
    R.I.P. Skandi the Wolf of Return of the Scarlet Empress

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

Friendplug: Arpista Editing!

8. - Top - End - #128

The Docks

"So! This is our golden toy soldier?" The speaker (or shouter, as he struggles to be heard over the distance and rain) is a rough, well-weathered man wearing his brown hair back in a ponytail. He wears a jacket that doesn't entirely cover his upper body, showing off wiry muscles and a few impressive scars. Standing next to him is another man, identical save that his hair is not tied back and he lacks scars, who is nodding in agreement, and behind the two are about a dozen tough-looking lads. All of them wear sheathed swords, hooked in shape and with sharp blades protruding from their hilts.

"Well well well, sounds like we have ourselves a righteous hero, come to save the innocent and rescue fair maidens from the evil Lintha!" The men swagger over towards Kel and the others, the speaker coming right up into Kel's face. "That kind of tough talk might impress your mother, but she's not here to protect you now, is she? Maybe you ought to hold your tongue on our turf, kid, or else we'll find out just how thick that armour really is."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Yaiven's eyebrows shoot up, not that they're visible under his hood. "Well then. I rather suspect we have a lot to talk about, my friend. Shall we go to my office, to get out of the rain?"
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

10. - Top - End - #130

"Certainly." She bows. "Lead on."

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Yaiven's Office

Yaiven leads Saria to his offices, past his secretary, Alia, at the front desk, and into his office, sparsely furnished with three wooden chairs, a desk, and a small bookshelf. "Do please have a seat," he says, taking one of the chairs not behind the desk. "I'm afraid I can't offer you tea, but I think I have a little wine set aside if you would like?"
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

[The Immaculate Temple]

Schneizel respectfully bows before the leader and assembled figures before he begins to speak,"My name is Schneizel vi Peleps, and I am a Water Aspect Dragon-blooded agent of the Immaculate Order. I was on another assignment when the rest of your force had left but I upon my return to the Imperial City I was bid to join your forces here. Along with an odd instruction to tell you, I was told to inform you that surveying the goddess was given top priority. As such, on the off chance there are any on this island, we are not engage Anathema unless they attack us. I was bid to relay this order from the very top, most glorious master." he says as he bows again.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

13. - Top - End - #133

"Thank you," she says, taking the other seat in front of the desk. "As you wish."

With the door closed, she removes the sash. Her rank - her once-high rank - is clear to those who can read it.

"This leaves you with two interesting questions, then. What you will do now about me, and what will you do about the armored man? My experience with such things is limited, but I believe he is wearing a treasure more valuable than this island."

She watches his hands closely. Is he about to poison her? This would be a reasonable opportunity.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Yaiven's Office

Yaiven stands again and fetches out an unopened bottle. He brings it, with two glasses, to the desk, opening it with some difficulty and pouring two glasses. As he works, he talks.

"The armoured man... he is either very powerful, or very foolish, or both. I lean towards the latter. I'd rather avoid him if I can - people like that are poor fits for those of us who like a measure of the predictable in our lives. It's true that what he wears is, if I am any judge, priceless - the materials alone would beggar me a great many times over - but removing it from him is likely more trouble than it's worth, and dealing with him for the sake of it likewise."

Yaiven offers Saria the choice of glasses from the tray, then sits back down to sip his own. "You, if I may say so, are much more interesting. I have not, to my knowledge, met one of Luna's Chosen before today, and you evidently have very significant talents. If I may be blunt, I think you and I could achieve great things together. What would you say if I asked you to work with me on a project that, all aligning, will span a Direction?"

15. - Top - End - #135

The Immaculate Temple

The Most Enlightened Master lets out a small sigh, brief but full of sadness. "For a few days we have been hunting an Anathema. Not long ago we interrogated some people it had spoken with, so it is likely that it knows about us. And now comes a messenger, almost immediately afterwards, to tell us that we are to ignore the presence of any Anathema, allow them to corrupt this city's people and soul." She looks at Schneizel, pity in her eyes. "As powerful as the Exalted are, they can still fall to the lies of the Anathema. You may not even know it, but I fear you are the creature's latest victim, sent here by it to dissuade us."

She and the other monks stand. "I am sorry, Schneizel vi Peleps. You seem to be a good man. May you find better fortune in your next life than you did in this one."
    Last edited by Lanaya; 2014-08-03 at 05:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Yaiven's Office

Saria is smiling faintly, takes a random glass. There are still ways it could be poison, but they are unlikely. His flattery is appreciated, if not unexpected.

"I would say that it is a fascinating offer, and I would ask for more information. Such a project could, if in accordance with heavenly justice, be an excellent way for me to continue accomplishing my duties despite my current state. First, though I would wish to correct you on a point. I have not used my powers as a Lunar Anathema today. Indeed, I prefer not to. Those others I have met with my powers have proved to be... mentally unstable, and I worry that these facts may not be unrelated. Suffice to say that I give far more credence to the superstitious popular aspects of the Immaculate Faith now than I ever did when I was an official of the Realm."

She sips, both to be polite and out of curiosity. She has not drunk much grape-wine, and almost none since she last left the Threshold.

"And while I would of course be glad to help you towards any just goal, whether by means of an alliance or any other, your status as one of those the Realm calls Deceivers naturally makes me hesitant to sign any contract I have not read. I believe you are capable of great things, but, though I regret being so blunt, we have not yet established whether you will use this capacity for great good or for great evil."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I have not used my powers as a Lunar Anathema today" is a half-truth. She means it in the context of 'I have not shapeshifted or used real charms', but she did use a low-level Excellency earlier. She's understating the case for Lunar insanity, but not via lies or half-truths. Literally everything else she said she believes to be unambiguously true.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

[The Immaculate Temple:Interior]

Schneizel speaks in a slow, measured voice while drawing his reaper daiklave, which to all the others appears to be made of the finest jade,"I do not wish to harm any of you, but if you wish to invoke the wrath of a dragon then you do so at your own peril. The Order demanded this mission be operated with prudence and subtly, both of which you shall be shown to be bereft of should you continue your train of thought."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    this is just my join battle post, after they respond to my reply I shall post my action.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanaya View Post
    The Docks

"So! This is our golden toy soldier?" The speaker (or shouter, as he struggles to be heard over the distance and rain) is a rough, well-weathered man wearing his brown hair back in a ponytail. He wears a jacket that doesn't entirely cover his upper body, showing off wiry muscles and a few impressive scars. Standing next to him is another man, identical save that his hair is not tied back and he lacks scars, who is nodding in agreement, and behind the two are about a dozen tough-looking lads. All of them wear sheathed swords, hooked in shape and with sharp blades protruding from their hilts.

"Well well well, sounds like we have ourselves a righteous hero, come to save the innocent and rescue fair maidens from the evil Lintha!" The men swagger over towards Kel and the others, the speaker coming right up into Kel's face. "That kind of tough talk might impress your mother, but she's not here to protect you now, is she? Maybe you ought to hold your tongue on our turf, kid, or else we'll find out just how thick that armour really is."
    The Docks

Kel watches this little display with mild curiosity. "Who are you, and why should I care? Never mind, I don't care. I don't know why you decided to be stupid today, but you need to walk away before something bad happens to you. Let me clue you in on something. All those scars? Each one is a reminder that someone was better than you, and marked you, so everyone can see how many times you've been bested. Me?" He reaches behind his back, the clamps on his armor releasing his sword as his hand grasps the hilt. He holds the weapon at his side in one hand despite it's size. "I have no scars."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

[Docks]
    Vo simply listens, tucked against Jin, though readying herself to slip her hand under her jacket to grab her khatar.

As Kel speaks, she pays close attention to the leader of the group confronting them.

Spoiler: FIND DEM PRINCIPLES
    Show
    (6d10)[7][8][3][3][7][2](30)
    3 Successes. Eh.
    Last edited by Beans; 2014-08-03 at 06:49 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Docks

Disentangling himself from Vo somewhat regretfully, Jin steps up beside Kel, withdrawing his hammer from his belt and swinging it casually in his hand as he looks the scarred stranger in the eye without a trace of fear. "I'd listen to this guy if I were you, buddy. He's not the sort you want to mess with...and neither are the rest of us."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

The Docks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanaya View Post

Fools everywhere... No... wait, there's more than ten of them, they might actually have a point. These look like thugs, not soldiers, though.

He says - to Kel and Jin, not the thugs - "I maintain my point about a cloak, and we can discuss choices later if you wish to continue."

Virgil casts his gaze over all of the men, looking into the alleyway and across the rooftops as well. Looking for artifacts, charms - even a divine blessing or a bit of thaumaturgy - and, of course, listening for the telltale scrape of any hidden ambushers readying positions or weapons... Convincing them to back down, or escalating into a fight, is someone else's decision to make. For now, he can simply prepare and observe.
    He also spares attention to Kel's armor again... if there is a fight, perhaps he can catch how it responds to the Essence of battle. The thought of seeing that makes him grin and ready himself a little more.

Spoiler: Mechanics Stuff
    Show
    My social pool to intimidate them away isn't bad, but it's not great either. I certainly don't like the look of having my dice halved to do it in a few seconds instead of a few minutes.
    And I don't really want to be responsible for starting a fight with 12-14 guys. So Virgil, in the finest tradition of She Who Lives in Her Name, is prepared to implement what another leader decides upon.
    I am, however, observing for any magic (Essence-Dissecting Stare) and hidden people (Perception+Awareness), with a Join Battle roll in case it comes up.

Perception+Awareness, including Hearing, 1-die stunt (mote reward) (6d10)[7][9][7][4][3][6](36) 3 Successes!
    Join Battle, if needed: Wits+Awareness, no Hearing, 1-die stunt, spend 1wp for a success (4d10)[3][3][4][3](13) 1 Success, and it's from the Willpower point.

Personal Motes 8/17, 5m committed
    Peripheral Motes 24/41, 17m committed
    Willpower Points 6*/8
    Anima Flare 0m
    *7 if no Join Battle occurs.

Essence-Dissecting Stare (Somewhat under 1 hour)
    Mind-Hand Manipulation (Indefinite)
    Loom-Snarling Deception (Indefinite)
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2014-08-03 at 07:15 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

The Immaculate Temple

The monks pay no attention to Schneizel's words.

The Docks

"You talk reeaaaal big for someone who has to hide behind a few tonnes of metal to fight." The speaker's double responds to Jin. "You really are clueless, aren't you? Nobody threatens the Lintha and lives, and you're about to find out why." The pirates all draw their blades in one smooth motion.

Roll Join Battle everyone!

Sailor's Rest Inn

The inn is cheap, but respectable. The furnishings aren't of the highest quality, but they're kept clean and replaced if they break, and while the food and drink is average it comes in large quantities. As Renata walks in she sees an assortment of people, mainly sailors, quietly getting thoroughly drunk. In one of the corners is her crew, who have been given a wide berth by the other patrons. Whether this is due to a dislike for the Tya, some sort of respect or simply chance isn't apparent.
    Last edited by Lanaya; 2014-08-03 at 08:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

[The Immaculate Temple:Interior]

Schneizel appears disappointed at the monks' insistence on fighting him but realizes that in this situation it is either him or them,"Do not forget it was you who wanted this, I suppose none of you have ever heard the adage of not shooting the messenger huh? Oh well, may your next lives bring you more happiness than this one."

Upon saying that, the brunette man was swept up in a flurry of action. In the blink of an eye he was beside two of monks and slashes at both of them with a swipe of his blade. The seemly emerald jade blade glistens with the blood of its masters foes as it leaves the area's where it had struck them. It moves with impossibly fast speed and with an elegance and fluidity of motion more commonly associated with martial arts than a blade.

Spoiler: Fight Against the Dying Monks
    Show
    activating Flight of Mercury+First Martial Arts Excellency (x5) -7m (-2m FoM, -5 from FMAE) 3/15 personal essence
    attack 1 (Martial Arts (3)+ Dexterity (3)+ Accuracy (4)-flurry (-2)+FMAE (2)): (10d10)[1][1][3][4][7][2][9][2][9][2](40)
    attack 2 (Martial Arts (3)+ Dexterity (3)+ Accuracy (4)-flurry (-3)+FMAE (3)): (10d10)[8][10][8][8][2][4][4][5][4][3](56)
    stunts if necessary: (3d10)[3][1][4](8) stunting to recover essence (bit fuzzy on how this works)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Yaiven's Office

Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    Saria is smiling faintly, takes a random glass. There are still ways it could be poison, but they are unlikely. His flattery is appreciated, if not unexpected.

"I would say that it is a fascinating offer, and I would ask for more information. Such a project could, if in accordance with heavenly justice, be an excellent way for me to continue accomplishing my duties despite my current state. First, though I would wish to correct you on a point. I have not used my powers as a Lunar Anathema today. Indeed, I prefer not to. Those others I have met with my powers have proved to be... mentally unstable, and I worry that these facts may not be unrelated. Suffice to say that I give far more credence to the superstitious popular aspects of the Immaculate Faith now than I ever did when I was an official of the Realm."

She sips, both to be polite and out of curiosity. She has not drunk much grape-wine, and almost none since she last left the Threshold.

"And while I would of course be glad to help you towards any just goal, whether by means of an alliance or any other, your status as one of those the Realm calls Deceivers naturally makes me hesitant to sign any contract I have not read. I believe you are capable of great things, but, though I regret being so blunt, we have not yet established whether you will use this capacity for great good or for great evil."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I have not used my powers as a Lunar Anathema today" is a half-truth. She means it in the context of 'I have not shapeshifted or used real charms', but she did use a low-level Excellency earlier. She's understating the case for Lunar insanity, but not via lies or half-truths. Literally everything else she said she believes to be unambiguously true.
    Yaiven stands and crosses to the bookshelf. "Ah, I see. You still believe the Immaculate doctrine, to some degree. I'm sorry to hear that - what I have seen for myself indicates that, at best, it is an exaggeration. Still, the best way I can prove that to you is by demonstration.

"But your caution, though partly born of false dogma, is nonetheless justified and commendable. Let me show you this."
    So saying, he pulls out two large sheets of paper, whisper-thin and covered with curious marks in many colours. With great care, he lays them out on the desk, folded over so as to fit, matching up the marks until, as though by magic, they resolve into a map, covered in strange markings and splashes of colour, with no legend to be seen. He weights down the corners as he begins his speech.

"Behold, the West. This is a Guild map, one of the finest to be had anywhere in Creation. They are kept jealously by Guild merchants - one of the few goods that, in all my time there, I never saw sold nor bought. This one is some years out of date, but still valuable to me."

Yaiven points to several places in turn, naming their meaning as he goes. "This is a Wyld zone, where slaves are dream-eaten, not to be confused with here, where the raksha devour all those who come to bargain. Here there are pirates who will not be bribed, and must be fought; here others who require a supply of human flesh - both living and dead - for their pleasure. This ring indicates which 'gift' will best please the customs officers of a city - see, red means whores, green jade, and black indicates that the Guild has some other hold, most likely blackmail. Here there is Skullstone, with all the ills that plague it. And I could go on, across the map - I have studied it so often that I see it in my dreams."

He steps back, and looks at Saria. "This is the West. More, this is Creation. Corruption, theft, incursions from beyond the world that take and take and never give back. The system of the world rots at its heart, the way of things is fundamentally broken. I want to mend it.

"But I cannot do it alone. That is not my skill, not my way. I will need a great deal of help, from every quarter I can find. That is why I am here, to begin gathering allies."
    He stops, and stares Saria straight in the eye, gazing fit to pierce to the soul, summoning every ounce of acumen and majesty he can muster. "So I'll ask this - what will it take for you to trust me?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Five personal motes to Know the Soul's Price, and I'll blow the last four personal motes on the Excellency to throw four more dice at the problem. I'm claiming that as a two-die stunt, so I'm rolling fifteen dice against Saria's Manipulation + Socialize/2 = 2, and leaving myself four personal motes.

(15d10)[5][2][4][7][9][9][3][1][10][6][10][2][4][5][5](82)

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Oh my, what on earth is going on here?" Caida had intended to arrive at the docks, look around a little, maybe even find a ship looking for a commander and crew. Instead, a fight seemed to be brewing. Caida takes a seat on a nearby barrel, watching the proceedings with interest. "Oh, Lintha or Lintha sympathizers versus golden boy! This should be fun."

26. - Top - End - #146

Yaiven's Office

He knows the answer to that question as soon as he asks it. That your plans are made and executed in accordance with justice, compassion, and humanity. So long as you do that, I will trust you.

"That you display yourself worthy of trust," is what she says. "You are right. The world is wrong. It must be repaired. Injustice and corruption spread throughout the world. For long years I worked for that purpose in the Realm, a place where there was peace and wealth and hope. Now I work to rebuild it in the West, and I have seen that I am far more needed here. If your mission is to heal the world, you and I are allies."

She pauses. "And the Immaculate Faith is a mess of lies and superstition encrusted around a few facts, most of which are exaggerated and impossible stories of events that happened thousands of years ago. I did not expect to find much truth in it."

She raises an eyebrow.

"Now. How do you intend to accomplish your goal?"
    Last edited by Aevylmar; 2014-08-04 at 01:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

The Immaculate Temple

Schneizel's blade strikes true, and before they can react two of the monks are lying on the floor in pools of their blood.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

The Docks

Kel leaps up, flipping and rotating in mid-air, bringing his blade down on the scarred one as he lands behind him. Luck wasn't quite on his side, as the pirate managed to get his own weapon up in time to deflect the strike. Kel steps back, in the thick of the pirates. "Not bad, demon-spawn. I might have to exert myself."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Yaiven's Office

Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    He knows the answer to that question as soon as he asks it. That your plans are made and executed in accordance with justice, compassion, and humanity. So long as you do that, I will trust you.

"That you display yourself worthy of trust," is what she says. "You are right. The world is wrong. It must be repaired. Injustice and corruption spread throughout the world. For long years I worked for that purpose in the Realm, a place where there was peace and wealth and hope. Now I work to rebuild it in the West, and I have seen that I am far more needed here. If your mission is to heal the world, you and I are allies."

She pauses. "And the Immaculate Faith is a mess of lies and superstition encrusted around a few facts, most of which are exaggerated and impossible stories of events that happened thousands of years ago. I did not expect to find much truth in it."

She raises an eyebrow.

"Now. How do you intend to accomplish your goal?"
    Yaiven smiles. "I shall certainly do my best. In the end, what I do, I do for everyone - it is only right that I do so with justice, with humanity, with compassion.

"As to my methods... well, I do what I know, and what I know best is systems. Organizations, dozens or hundreds of people moving to a single goal. Economies where thousands of deals are struck each day. Even people, in all their infinite complexity, I can achieve some understanding of. So that is what I will leverage.

"I will build a system. For now, we are few, and weak, and for a long time I expect to lack the power to do more than build. But as we build, we will acquire tools. The Wyld will fall to my will, held in place by frequent commerce. Corruption will be purged, for I will make it less profitable than the alternative. Piracy will be ended, for no longer will there be the weak and the desperate with no other course - I will give them what they need to rise to a better life. And those who stand in our way will meet all the myriad allies and weapons and nations that one day we will wield as the New West.

"That is my plan. Any questions?"

30. - Top - End - #150

The Docks

"Stupid boy. All the fancy trinkets in Creation won't do you any good if you don't know how to use them. They'll make me rich after I take them off your corpse though."

Tick One
    Unpleasant as the Lintha may look, they're disciplined and well coordinated fighters. All their manoeuvers have clearly been perfected in the heat of many a battle. "Leave the shiny one to Okanth! We'll take that one," calls one of them, pointing at Kaiden. Two of the other pirates nod in agreement, ready to kill him when they can find an opening.

Spoiler
    Show
    Coordinate attack, targeting himself and two of the others who were acting on tick 2. If he passes the roll at difficulty 1 they'll get to make the coordinated attack on Kaiden at tick 6.

(4d10)[5][6][1][4](16) = 0 successes, failed.

Tick Two
    The Lintha descend upon the Exalted group. The two ordered after Kaiden rush him with their signature blades, another two charge at Vocusta, and a fifth circles around Jin to attack him from the side as the scarred man's twin battles the Dawn head on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Each of the extras is making a two-attack flurry on their target. The attacks against Kaiden:
    7d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[1][6][9][10][3][7][1](37) = 3 successes

6d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[4][3][10][9][10][4][6](46) = 3 successes

7d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[1][8][7][1][5][9][2](33) = 3 successes

6d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[8][4][8][4][8][3][9](44) = 4 successes

The attacks against Vo:
    7d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[3][3][2][4][8][1][3](24) = 1 success

6d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[1][7][3][4][10][2][3](30) = 2 successes

7d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[9][6][8][10][4][5][10](52) = 3 successes

6d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[9][4][1][6][7][9][10](46) = 4 successes

The extra's attacks against Jin:
    7d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[5][1][8][8][4][10][1](37) = 3 successes

6d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[1][10][3][1][7][6][5](33) = 2 successes

And finally, the non-extra's attacks against Jin. He's flurrying three attacks, and each one is enhanced by a two-mote First Melee Excellency.
    8d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (8d10)[7][8][8][6][3][6][5][6](49) = 3 successes

7d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[1][4][4][5][5][10][1](30) = 2 successes

6d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (6d10)[3][9][6][4][6][3](31) = 1 success

Tick Three
    The battle is chaotic, and the Exalted group already mostly surrounded. Four Lintha stand back, each watching one particular foe and waiting for a gap in the action, and the perfect chance to strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    They're taking Aim actions, each one aiming at a different member of the group.

Tick Four
    The scarred Lintha briefly looks at one of his comrades, while making some peculiar hand gestures. Seeming to understand them, the other pirate stands guard over his master, helping to protect him from Kel's massive daiklave. Satisfied that he is well defended, the leader scans for weak points in the mighty celestial armour, then makes three quick jabs with his sword, each at a different point on Kel's body, in the hope that one will manage to pierce through.

Spoiler
    Show
    Like his twin he's flurrying three attacks, but only putting one mote into the First Melee Excellency on each. The final extra is taking a Defend Other on him.
    8d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (8d10)[7][5][4][8][5][6][9][2](46) = 3 successes

7d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (7d10)[2][4][8][9][1][3][1](28) = 2 successes

6d10
    Spoiler
    Show
    (6d10)[7][7][7][8][1][1](31) = 4 successes
    Last edited by Lanaya; 2014-08-04 at 02:54 AM.