New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules VI: Magic Circle Against Errata

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Technically, it keeps the ignition bit even if the descriptor gets changed to [Cold] via that feat whose name I can't remember, so I'm not sure how relevant Immunity to Fire is.
    Energy Substitution?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    If you can't take damage from fire, are you really combustible, though?
    Take a piece of paper. Cast energy immunity on it. It is now a combustible object that is immune to fire. Fireball would light it (ineffectively) on fire.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2014-10-23 at 04:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Energy Substitution?
    That's the one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Take a piece of paper. Cast energy immunity on it. It is now a combustible object that is immune to fire. Fireball would light it (ineffectively) on fire.
    Unfortunately combustible objects are not defined (Thread 1 - Page 44) so your paper is quite safe even without the magical protection.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Unfortunately combustible objects are not defined (Thread 1 - Page 44) so your paper is quite safe even without the magical protection.
    That's not completely true. Some objects are stated as being combustible. The Dungeon Master's Guide refers to just a few items as flammable:
    • (uncovered) barrels of oil
    • a dried-out forest floor
    • unprotected wood, paper, and cloth in a Fire-Dominant plane

A couple of spells provide additional items to the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Hands
    Flammable materials, such as cloth, paper, parchment, and thin wood burn if the flames touch them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame Dagger
    A flame dagger can ignite combustible materials such as parchment, straw, dry sticks, cloth, and so on.
    Stormwrack on page 31 has rules for the chances of parts of a wooden ship catching fire depending on the attack type. Beyond these few particulars it'll be an individual DM's call whether something is combustible. However, paper is definitely not safe from fire.

Having something listed as a dysfunction in the rules is not the same as being absent some proper attention in the RAW.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

This one is probably just being obtuse but...

A disguise kit is "exhausted" after 10 uses. It's not "used up" it's "exhausted" so it "moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a –6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity" (until it gets an hours rest) but you can still use it.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    This one is probably just being obtuse but...

A disguise kit is "exhausted" after 10 uses. It's not "used up" it's "exhausted" so it "moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a –6 penalty to Strength and Dexterity" (until it gets an hours rest) but you can still use it.
    No, no, obviously you can't use it anymore because it's Strength dropped below the point where it could carry all the grime, clothes and fake plastic familiars, so the kit now breaks open or something. See? Perfectly sensible!
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Fiend of blasphemy's sponsor cultist ability has no mechanical effect whatsoever.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Animate with the Spirit is a bizarre spell that summons a celestial creature to possess a corpse, which is then treated as if it were alive. The spirit animating the corpse can make use of "innate abilities the creature possessed in life", mentioning troll's regeneration as an example. Weird wording but workable, so we get special qualities. But then "the spirit can't choose to activate the host body's extraordinary or supernatural abilities, and the host body's spells and spell-like abilities do not stay with the body." So I don't know what you get because there is contradiction here, and innate abilities are not defined beyond not being class derived.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Animate with the Spirit is a bizarre spell that summons a celestial creature to possess a corpse, which is then treated as if it were alive. The spirit animating the corpse can make use of "innate abilities the creature possessed in life", mentioning troll's regeneration as an example. Weird wording but workable, so we get special qualities. But then "the spirit can't choose to activate the host body's extraordinary or supernatural abilities, and the host body's spells and spell-like abilities do not stay with the body." So I don't know what you get because there is contradiction here, and innate abilities are not defined beyond not being class derived.
    Isn't a troll's regeneration an entirely passive effect? I'm pretty sure that you don't actually need to activate it, although feel free to correct me.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Fiend of blasphemy's sponsor cultist ability has no mechanical effect whatsoever.
    Could you paste the text of the ability? Or at least tell us what book and page to go looking?
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    Could you paste the text of the ability? Or at least tell us what book and page to go looking?
    It's from Fiend Folio, alongside the other Fiends of X that are moderately popular in the TO community.

Sponsor Worshiper (Su):A fiend of blasphemy that has reached at least 3rd level can channel spellcasting ability from its own fiendish master to mortals with levels in the cleric class. A fiend can sponsor a cleric whose level is no higher than twice the fiend’s class level. Thus, a 3rd-level fiend of blasphemy can sponsor a cleric of up to 6th level, who receives access to the full complement of cleric spells as well as any two domains selected from those offered by the fiend’s master.
    It basically allows clerics to worship the Fiend of Blasphemy rather than a god or ideal. Since, y'know, the entire class is about it making a cult around itself.

I don't really see the dysfunction here - perhaps someone could elaborate?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Firbolg in the Playground

That mechanically it does nothing, as you can worship other people anyway.
    At least, I think that's what is claimed.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    That mechanically it does nothing, as you can worship other people anyway.
    At least, I think that's what is claimed.
    The idea is that you don't want them to worship other people, since luring souls away from the gods and into eternal damnation in the lower planes is the entire schtick of the Fiend of Blasphemy. Oh yeah, and you're specifically luring them into the "employ" of your fiendish master.

If they're worshipping a god and are devoted enough to get spells from them, that undermines it a bit.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    The idea is that you don't want them to worship other people, since luring souls away from the gods and into eternal damnation in the lower planes is the entire schtick of the Fiend of Blasphemy. Oh yeah, and you're specifically luring them into the "employ" of your fiendish master.

If they're worshipping a god and are devoted enough to get spells from them, that undermines it a bit.
    The point is that a cleric can already worship you and manage to draw spells from it anyway, regardless of your own abilities. Plus, archfiends already have their own explicit abilities that let them grant spells, so your ability is irrelevant. Heck, you don't even have to exist for a cleric to be able to draw their spells from worshiping you (just ask the Becoming God).

16. - Top - End - #286

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    The point is that a cleric can already worship you and manage to draw spells from it anyway, regardless of your own abilities. Plus, archfiends already have their own explicit abilities that let them grant spells, so your ability is irrelevant. Heck, you don't even have to exist for a cleric to be able to draw their spells from worshiping you (just ask the Becoming God).
    Agreed. Mechanically, this ability does nothing. It doesn't give you extra abilities, it doesn't provide any statistical advantage.

However, lack of mechanical function is only a dysfunction when it is supposed to have a mechanical function. This is just a normal fluff ability
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Agreed. Mechanically, this ability does nothing. It doesn't give you extra abilities, it doesn't provide any statistical advantage.

However, lack of mechanical function is only a dysfunction when it is supposed to have a mechanical function. This is just a normal fluff ability
    In other words, it's the designers underestimating how loosely their language on worshipping Causes can be interpreted. Their idea of a Cause was Righteousness or Justice or Suffering or Sacrifice. It was not Tony Who Lives Down the Street.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2014-10-27 at 03:01 PM.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure if this one was intended or not... but the Planar Familiar spell can only be cast on your class-feature companion, such as a familiar, animal companion, or mount. And what spell list is it found on? Only cleric, the one caster who doesn't have such a companion. It's not completely unusable, since there are multiclassed clerics, and anyone else could UMD a scroll of it, but it seems odd to have a cleric-only spell that can't be used by a straight cleric.
    Last edited by Chronos; 2014-10-27 at 09:15 PM.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Berserker's beast shape has a number of daily uses, but has no duration.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Berserker's beast shape has a number of daily uses, but has no duration.
    Are you talking about the Berserk from deities and demigods?

If so, then as i understand it once you use beast shape you can use it to transform between hybrid and animal form but there is no mechanic for ever returning to human form without magic, or maybe a magic dead zone.

edit: found the can always turn back into a human text. so the uses just let you turn back and forth more often. doesn't seem all that dysfunctional.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2014-10-27 at 04:39 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    Are you talking about the Berserk from deities and demigods?

If so, then as i understand it once you use beast shape you can use it to transform between hybrid and animal form but there is no mechanic for ever returning to human form without magic, or maybe a magic dead zone.

edit: found the can always turn back into a human text. so the uses just let you turn back and forth more often. doesn't seem all that dysfunctional.
    Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Although, once you morph into a whale, why would you ever want to change back?

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

So you can talk, use items, and walk around on land?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I'm not sure if this one was intended or not... but the Planar Familiar spell can only be cast on your class-feature companion, such as a familiar, animal companion, or mount. And what spell list is it found on? Only cleric, the one caster who doesn't have such a companion. It's not completely unusable, since there are multiclassed clerics, and anyone else could UMD a scroll of it, but it seems odd to have a cleric-only spell that can't be used by a straight cleric.
    It also works on special mounts and animal companions too — which aren't very common Cleric class features.

Also, why did you use https in your link ? My browser had a fit.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    So you can talk, use items, and walk around on land?
    pearl of speech, hand of the man, and flight item of choice.

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Also, why did you use https in your link ? My browser had a fit.
    Because that's the version of the link Google sent me to. But if it works without, I'll remove it, because there's no reason to need security on that page.

Incidentally, it also appears that both the old links and the archive ones work now. I used the archive version because who knows when WotC will switch back.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Denizens of the Playground, I come bearing good news! I have found what may very well be the only existing example of what "spellcaster level" is supposed to mean:

Quote Originally Posted by Yathrinshee
    Necromancer (Ex): The yathrinshee has unsurpassed power over death. When she casts spells from the school of necromancy, all her spellcaster levels stack for the purpose of determining her effective caster level. She does not gain higher-level spells any faster than normal or gain any additional spells per day, but the spells she casts are much more effective.

For example, a 5th-level cleric/3rd-level wizard/3rd-level yathrinshee has gained two effective level increases in both her cleric class and her wizard class, giving her the spellcasting ability of a 7th-level cleric and a 5th-level wizard. Thus, when she casts any necromancy spell, whether it is arcane or divine, her effective caster level is 12th (cleric 7th + wizard 5th).
    Assuming the bolded is authoritative (which it should be given the previously-demonstrated lack of any conflicting definitions), your "spellcaster level" in a given class is your effective level in that class for the purpose of determining spells per day.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

27. - Top - End - #297

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Denizens of the Playground, I come bearing good news! I have found what may very well be the only existing example of what "spellcaster level" is supposed to mean:

Assuming the bolded is authoritative (which it should be given the previously-demonstrated lack of any conflicting definitions), your "spellcaster level" in a given class is your effective level in that class for the purpose of determining spells per day.
    small (actually, rather big) problem: it says "For example". I'm sure we all know how well Wizards does with examples.
    I reserve the right to be wrong and will use that right whenever it happens

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lightlawbliss View Post
    small (actually, rather big) problem: it says "For example". I'm sure we all know how well Wizards does with examples.
    Lacking contradictory rules text, the example would be defining. Unless we can actually find rules text it holds, and if we can find such text... well, problem solved.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2014-10-28 at 01:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Here's one I just noticed: the item descriptions of the Epic items don't contain any alignment components. So, while Demon Armor has the [Evil] descriptor, Armor of the Abyssal Horde does not. (EDIT: Not sure what the page notation is in the Epic Level Handbook, I'm going from the SRD).
    Last edited by Telonius; 2014-10-30 at 12:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Has anyone discussed Catapults yet? Strikes me as a bit odd they're specifically exempted from the line of sight fules due to the shot being sent high into the air and then coming down. And yet they have no such rules exempting them from line of effect. At least that's something I noticed on the SRD. Catapults, can't shoot over walls
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2014-10-30 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.