New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

So one interesting thing I've noticed now that I have the book: with the shift in dialogue fonts, there's been a couple of cases where the emphasis has been changed. To take two random ones:

Spoiler: BRitF minor changes
    Show
    In panel 5 of 925 online, Haley's dialogue ( Hey Miron, sorry I can't pay that ransom - I spent all my money on arrows!) has no special emphasis. In the book, on the other hand, it now starts off HEY MIRON - .

Conversely, in panel 6 of 795, Zz'dtri's online dialogue is "To fight you." In the book, the emphasis is gone.

In general, I don't think this is all that important (though I feel like the latter one's a bit worse for it, honestly), but it's interesting to notice.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2015-01-31 at 12:33 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

2. - Top - End - #482

Default Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsfeld View Post
    Ooooooooh, got my book today. Brazil's mail service is pretty slow. I'm actually surprised to see it so soon.
    And I thought our mail service was bad. There are times I think the USPS still relies on arthritic carrier pigeons. But if that's that case, what do you have--out of shape snails?

3. - Top - End - #483
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

The Game Stores in Colorado Finally have them in stock! I can pick mine up today!
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

4. - Top - End - #484
    Pixie in the Playground

Does anyone know of any Australian game stores that are carrying this? I was hoping to save on the frankly outrageous postage costs by using a local store.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    So one interesting thing I've noticed now that I have the book: with the shift in dialogue fonts, there's been a couple of cases where the emphasis has been changed. To take two random ones:

Spoiler: BRitF minor changes
    Show
    In panel 5 of 925 online, Haley's dialogue ( Hey Miron, sorry I can't pay that ransom - I spent all my money on arrows!) has no special emphasis. In the book, on the other hand, it now starts off HEY MIRON - .

Conversely, in panel 6 of 795, Zz'dtri's online dialogue is "To fight you." In the book, the emphasis is gone.

In general, I don't think this is all that important (though I feel like the latter one's a bit worse for it, honestly), but it's interesting to notice.
    I didn't notice that. On the other hand I was a little disappointed with the accented "é" aspect in the word "cliché", and with the few typos that made it through. But that's the perfectionnist me. That such minor issues remain is an indicator of how much effort it takes to publish somehting. Big companies can get a (usually) 100% perfect result. That gives the very wrong impression that it's easy.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    I didn't notice that. On the other hand I was a little disappointed with the accented "é" aspect in the word "cliché", and with the few typos that made it through. But that's the perfectionnist me. That such minor issues remain is an indicator of how much effort it takes to publish somehting. Big companies can get a (usually) 100% perfect result. That gives the very wrong impression that it's easy.
    Almost no publisher gets a 100% perfect result. Even TSR did some dawizard to their reputation at times with serious typos.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    But that's the perfectionnist me. That such minor issues remain is an indicator of how much effort it takes to publish somehting.
    ...I have to ask if that was deliberate.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Probably Muphry's Law.

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #489
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And I thought our mail service was bad. There are times I think the USPS still relies on arthritic carrier pigeons. But if that's that case, what do you have--out of shape snails?
    That seems the right description. Last year I ordered DStP. It took about 3 months to get to my house. This one got here in less than a month, so I'm pretty surprised.
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kokomo View Post
    Melbourne, Australia, here. I noticed that one person from Melbourne reported theirs arriving, but has there been anybody else? If a pre-order hasn't arrived by now, should I get in touch with Ookoodook, or is that a bit premature?
    Disregard and strike through! It just came today. Fretting averted.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Colossus in the Playground

I got mine a couple weeks ago and raced through it in a few hours. Excellent book, and I especially enjoy the commentary.

Spoiler: Couple specifics
    Show
    I do enjoy V's acknowledgment of all hir "wasted time" studying and not being with people in Quoth The Familiar. It kind of hits hard for me right now. Also, the bonus strip with Tsukiko's birthday was darkly hilarious and sad at the same time. It really drove home just how deranged it was. Not that it wasn't obvious before but this made it even clearer, and provided some nice foreshadowing for her death.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Firbolg in the Playground

Of course it was. Prove otherwise!

13. - Top - End - #493
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Picked up my copy ystrday at my FLGS. Read all Rick's notes. Lookin' forward to all the good stuff ahead!

14. - Top - End - #494
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So it's been a few days and I can't figure it out. What is younger Dorukan casting in February? Summon Ghostly Sock?

15. - Top - End - #495

Wingbind, a nasty 2nd Edition spell that was an early example of Save or Suck. At least the dragon wasn't flying at the time.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

That would make sense. Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

For swedes:

The Science Fiction Bookstore now carries the book for 399 SEK. Woo!

For not swedes who might be looking for alternatives to Ookookdook.:

399 SEk is ~48 USD / 42 EUR. They do ship to outside of Sweden, but I have no idea how expensive it is or how long it takes (it's always very smooth and fast inside of Sweden, though). And the website is in Swedish, so unless you're from Denmark or Norway it's probably hard to navigate.
    Last edited by Cizak; 2015-02-06 at 08:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Given that I think just about all of the pre-orders have been received, I'm going to go ahead and de-sticky this thread. If you still haven't received your book or wish to discuss it, feel free to continue using it.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

19. - Top - End - #499
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'll just buy the book whenever it is here.
    That was now. Or rather thursday last week, where the nice people of fantask.dk send me my copy, along with 2 for my mates. So there are in Denmark now - costing 295DKR. Actually not far from the US price + Danish VAT so that is nice! Also, Fantask shipped to me for free

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

finally got mine last friday in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
    as usual, love to read the giant's commentaries.
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Through a series of events that are significantly less exciting than the ones that caused the delays on the Giant's end, I finally got my Christmas present from my friend and got a calendar! Its awesome to see some of the old characters in the new art style. I am curious about something though. Why did you draw Lien with a cape/cloak, but not O-chul? Especially after she mentions in-comic that doing things like having short hair is advantageous underwater?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

I've just tried to order BRITF, and found that the shipping costs to Europe (where I live) are about as high as the price of the book itself. While I understand that international shipping rates are beyond the control of The Giant, I'm curious if there's any plans or possibilities to reduce these in the foreseeable future?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I've just tried to order BRITF, and found that the shipping costs to Europe (where I live) are about as high as the price of the book itself. While I understand that international shipping rates are beyond the control of The Giant, I'm curious if there's any plans or possibilities to reduce these in the foreseeable future?
    Have you checked out local game stores/comic shops? Doing a cursory glance, I see that it's for sale at least in the UK for what looks to be a reasonable price (£24).

EDITED::: Actually, with current conversion of dollar to pound that IS the same price as getting it from Ookoodook. Not bad at all.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-03-23 at 03:10 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

24. - Top - End - #504
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

No, there are no plans to reduce them in the foreseeable future. Ookoodook had a reduced shipping price attached to the preorder as a result of being able to ship a large number of books in bulk (with very mixed results), but going forward the shipping cost is what it is.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

25. - Top - End - #505

Same problem here. I don't remember sky-high fees rates when I bought books -1 to 3. I was glad to find "Don't Split the Party" in a shop (Games Workshop or some shop of this kind) in London.
    But at some point, exchange rate was very good for me when buying in euros, so maybe it was that...

Books -1 to 4 are available on Amazon without having to deal with expensive fees, I hope BritF will be one day as well. Snip, Snails and Dragon Tales had never been though...
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

26. - Top - End - #506
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I got BritF from a shop here in Germany (thanks to a tip from another user here on the forum).
    So I suggest you ask you local book/game/fantasy-themed shop if they can order the book for you.

If you say where you live other users might be able to suggest something near you.

Regarding shipping costs from Ook: I've got the impression that overseas shipping gets a lot more expensive if the package is heavier. So getting the calendars from Ook was not that bad, but adding BritF would have increased the shipping costs way more than expected.
    Last edited by Armitage; 2015-03-25 at 11:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #507

I checked the fees for calendars 2 months ago and found them expensive as well. Plus he didn't seem to scale with several commands when I checked >_>.

I'm in Paris and I could check one or two stores but I'm not really hopeful about that. A friend will come to visit me from London quite soon, I should ask him to have a look in London for me. The shop were I found DStP was one he was used to visit.

Porthos, where did you find BritF at this price in the UK?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

28. - Top - End - #508

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Same problem here. I don't remember sky-high fees rates when I bought books -1 to 3. I was glad to find "Don't Split the Party" in a shop (Games Workshop or some shop of this kind) in London.
    But at some point, exchange rate was very good for me when buying in euros, so maybe it was that...

Books -1 to 4 are available on Amazon without having to deal with expensive fees, I hope BritF will be one day as well. Snip, Snails and Dragon Tales had never been though...
    The USPS significantly bumped up their international fees in (IIRC) 2014. It hit a lot of small businesses hard, especially booksellers (who ship things that are awkwardly shaped and dense). It's basically impossible to get a book to Europe in a reasonable timeframe for less than $20, and often more.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

It seems from a quick search of this thread that nobody's spotted the Red Dwarf joke in the commentary. For shame...

30. - Top - End - #510
    Colossus in the Playground

Interestingly, the War & XPs book's list of "works that influenced me" did mention Red Dwarf.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele