New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Will Parson ever change?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

81 61.36%
  • No

51 38.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Will Parson EVER change clothes?? [Speculation spoiler]

Quote Originally Posted by Dragor View Post
    He doesn't need a weapon, when he could probably announce he's doing a Bull Rush and charge straight into the enemy. Probably armour; this will either make him look extremely cool or absolutely hilarious.
    My guess is, Parson will think it looks excellent, and everyone else will think it looks stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    Exactly why a toiletless world would have plungers is beyond me, though...
    It's probably an Arkentool.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plunger weapons make me think of Darleks
    Exploding nuns, just what everyone needs...
    Never were truer words spoken ThorFluff

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    It's probably an Arkentool.
    The Arkenplunger?!? That doesn't sound quite right. I figure the arkentools are all what you can find as a child's toys. So a screwdriver, a wrench, a ruler, a saw, sure. But a plunger? I don't think so.

Also, a crap golem making a weapon or armor doesn't sound right to me.
    My Freelance Writing Page
    Check out the Free Planet for Traveller in Signs and Portents 64
    No Hamster Can Stop Me -Prince Ansom
    D McCoy 1693

4. - Top - End - #34
    Closed Account

Bogroll isn't a crap golem. He's a twoll.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chrono View Post
    The whole point was, he could still use a siege crossbow. First, they're meant to be operated by the smaller Erf dwellers (i.e. loading is easy enough), second, crossbow is aim&shoot technology so no skill required. No waving around either, if he's able to lift it, he's able to use it.
    No skill required?

For a crossbow?

Umm... no. There's a lot more skill required for a bow than for modern point ant shoot weapons like guns.

Besides, any crossbow worth the name would require a lot of muscle to pull the cord back -- so much that trained crossbowman needed winches to prepare them..
    Last edited by Imgran; 2007-03-27 at 12:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Yes Parson will change outfits, however it will likely be a fairly bland change, but I could always be surprised. He may also lose a little weight.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    No skill required?

For a crossbow?

Umm... no. There's a lot more skill required for a bow than for modern point ant shoot weapons like guns.
    Nobody's talking about bows. That's a lot different than a crossbow. And a crossbow is a lot easier to use than a gun - I've used both and trust me, having no kick to your weapon really makes it aim-and-shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Besides, any crossbow worth the name would require a lot of muscle to pull the cord back -- so much that trained crossbowman needed winches to prepare them..
    Who do you think winds up the siege crossbows when there are few creatures bigger than Parson around that have hands? All siege crossbows would be meant to be operated by the inhabitants (therefore a creature smaller than Parson can load it, winch or no), therefore Parson will be able to load it.

Regardless, Parson doesn't have the raving badass image required to run around with a siege crossbow.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    Bogroll isn't a crap golem. He's a twoll.
    I meant twoll. Still true, I still don't see bogroll making weapons or armor. A bad painting because the other guards told him that it was a good idea and win favor with Lord Hampster or a meal made from the most disgusting food ever or something similar. He's "promoted" to lackey. His primary job function is things like disposing of Hampster's crap. He's increadibly low skilled. He makes 1/2 orc fighters with an Int 6 look skilled. Weapons? Armor? He probably doesn't even know the meaning of those words.
    My Freelance Writing Page
    Check out the Free Planet for Traveller in Signs and Portents 64
    No Hamster Can Stop Me -Prince Ansom
    D McCoy 1693

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    I think Bogroll is forging something for Parson. Could it be an armor?
    That's what I'm thinking. 36 has one frame of what looks like a silhouetted arm with fire as a backdrop.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

And a crossbow is a lot easier to use than a gun - I've used both and trust me, having no kick to your weapon really makes it aim-and-shoot.
    Wait, what kind of crossbow did you use that has no kick? A nerf crossbow? A crossbow (and indeed even a bow) has recoil, and for exactly the same reasons as a gun ("for every action..."). The one's I've used weren't anywhere near arbalest size and still kicked pretty good...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Totally never gonna change out of his clothes. And definitley not into armor with hampstard and pizza stains like his shirt.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

never....not in 100 years

13. - Top - End - #43

PirateGuy

Superb call guys.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Ah well... there go hopes of Parson getting some truly kickass gear. Not that this one is bad, but now he's still a fat guy in a breast plate.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

hehe Parson will never be anything more that " a fat guy in (whatever)" :) that's just who he is ;) not that I don't like him despite that tho ;)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Wait, what kind of crossbow did you use that has no kick? A nerf crossbow? A crossbow (and indeed even a bow) has recoil, and for exactly the same reasons as a gun ("for every action..."). The one's I've used weren't anywhere near arbalest size and still kicked pretty good...
    Never used a crossbow here, but it seems to me it'll have less of a kick than most firearms simply because it employs less force in its' firing. Combine that with a large enough weapon to absorb some of the force, and you get a recoil that seems negligable, particularly to someone accustomed to firearms with signifciant recoil.

And DMcCoy1693; yeah, you're probably right, but I suspect we may see some wacky arkentools before all is said and done.

17. - Top - End - #47

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Will Parson EVER change clothes??

Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    And yeah, he'll probably need some custom-made armor eventually. He should keep Hamstard on there for his coat of arms, though.
    Did I call it? Oh, yeah.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Never used a crossbow here, but it seems to me it'll have less of a kick than most firearms simply because it employs less force in its' firing. Combine that with a large enough weapon to absorb some of the force, and you get a recoil that seems negligable, particularly to someone accustomed to firearms with signifciant recoil.
    The thing is, a good portion of the bow itself moves forward upon firing, and the bolt's mass relative to that of the bow is higher than a bullet's mass relative to that of a gun. So when a crossbow is fired a lot of the total mass moves forward, causing more recoil than you'd expect. And if by "siege crossbow" you mean "ballista", those can have a lot of jump when they're fired.
    Proudly defending the Tool from the unholy forces of Cuteness and Plush.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

The total momentum of a crossbow bolt (that must be balanced by the recoil) may be greater than that of a bullet (depending on whether the mass difference between a crossbow bolt and a bullet offsets the velocity difference), but it is spread over more time. The latter factor diffuses the intensity of the recoil.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-03-28 at 08:57 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

So people are still on the crossbow topic, eh?
    Well keep in mind that the gun (handgun or gun-gun) recoils toward you, which often causes bruises, injury (plenty of sprained wrists or dislocated shoulders from not keeping it tight) and most often a miss on the following shots if you use burst fire.

As noted, the crossbow recoils away from you, so in the worst case you will drop it on your foot.

And if by "siege crossbow" you mean "ballista", those can have a lot of jump when they're fired.
    I mean a type of crossbow which is usually mounted on the city walls - it's often bigger and heavier to increase its range, which makes it unwieldy and hence it's often mounted in some way. I don't mean something you use to destroy walls with. Even if they're oversized for Stanley-sized creatures, the crossbow and projectile will be a small fraction of Parson's total weight (now with added benefit of a breastplate), thus I still think he will be able to handle the recoil.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

As noted, the crossbow recoils away from you, so in the worst case you will drop it on your foot.
    WTF? A crossbow shoots something forward -- it has to kick backward, unless the law of conservation of momentum doesn't apply in Erfworld.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Look up "reverse recoil" of crossbows. It really does make sense once you think about it.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

In which case Crossbows don't have recoil, they have coil?

Learn something new everyday!

Logos
    On the first day of Dnd my dm gave to me
    http://filbolg.wordpress.com/

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Look up "reverse recoil" of crossbows. It really does make sense once you think about it.
    I don't see any references to the information you're throwing out, please link a specifice reputable site.

Also, Parson isn't that much bigger than most of Stanley's units. Hobgobwins and twolls are only a head shorter than Parson, and the uncroaked are about 2/3 Parson's size. It's not likely that siege weapons will be based the stature of the ruler, who happens to be smaller than a large portion of his main fighting force.
    Last edited by Cobra_Ikari; 2007-03-29 at 02:52 AM.
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not sure I can find a work of great scientific significance that discusses the recoil of crossbows. The best I can come up with is a shop that sells crossbows
    http://www.thecrossbowshop.com/index...d=19&Itemid=50
    (which admittedly has like 2 lines on it) plus a bunch of examples of scopes being marketed as built to withstand reverse recoil and many of those mention "like what crossbows have", but some don't. I'm not sure why you keep arguing - much like bows, as a crossbow fires most parts move forward - the only force pushing back is the bolt and that's way too light to make a difference, let alone recoil the whole structure back (as opposed to guns where the explosion of the shell pushes the barrel back).

Anyways, if Stanley is medium then Parson is definitely large, which means all the standard weapons look one size category smaller to him than the people they were made for.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

The heavy crossbow I shot had roughly the same recoil as the deer-hunting rifle I shot (30-0-6, known in redneck terms as a Thirtyought-six).

I like Parson's philisophical view... "I can't think of anything that would better represent me than Hamstard... and two pizza stains".

So the answer, he changes clothing, but the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

A crossbow recoils both back and forwards. The net is normal recoil (as you'd expect from conservation of momentum), but the "reverse recoil" occurs in a shorter period of time and so you feel it as more jarring. The reverse recoil is actually caused by the stopping of the shot - i.e., you feel normal recoil as the bolt is accelerated, and then reverse recoil as the bow-part and string come to a sudden halt.

Nonetheless, the original claim that x-bows don't have recoil (or don't have significant recoil) is untrue.